Tempering December Ordering Expectations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tempering December Ordering Expectations

IMO, a touch of December “ordering expectation tempering” is appropriate, e.g production realities...

GM will do whatever they can when the December consensus’ opens to help as many of us get exactly what we are wanting. But to expect December nirvana for every one of us is not realistic, especially with GM not yet knowing the full demand curves for every color, their nor yet knowing every one of the other 11,000 choice options’ take rates, etc.

First, we have not heard from GM that their Q1/Q2, 2020 accessories in the constrained list are going to become earlier available than earlier GM stated, e.g., their being moved up to this quarter, so just without that change, many are going to continue to have to get them the dealership LPO method. Also, could there be such demand for AYM or RB or ZB that one or more does not become “automatic December acceptance reality” for all who want those colors? Or to take a mechanical component, what if E60’s requested take rate far exceeds GM’s initial projections?

Sure there will be tons and TONS of really good news in December as to what is available and what is actually accepted, but to assume when there are 20,000+ C8 customers who wanting to get their order to go in and all be accepted exactly with what they are wanting..., I am just not seeing that occur for all.

The C8 is just too **** hot now for 100% of us to get 100% of what we want during any production month this year. Let us remember that two months ago Kerbeck announced that they were not taking any more 2020 orders (and since then tens and tens of dealers have said the same). One medium sized dealer just stated that they are now sold out of C8’s for both 2020 and sold out for all of 2021 too.

Much happiness ahead for many in December, but more than likely that will not conversely mean everyone will get everything they are then wanting. Might be some of us have to wait a little longer to get our order accepted with all its many options? Or might some have to compromise on just one item?

GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5ZZ high wing; 5VM vis CF ground effects pkg; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards. Separately getting from my dealer RCC Edge Red engine cover and 5JR vis CF mirror caps.

Lifetime, annual contributors, and 20+ year members of National Corvette Museum.

Thanks for the perspective. For me, I will be happy just to get my order in and have it eventually create a production date. I have nothing so far except this forum!!!

Comment

You have a calm demeanor about this. Good for you. Patience and calm are good things.
      GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5ZZ high wing; 5VM vis CF ground effects pkg; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards. Separately getting from my dealer RCC Edge Red engine cover and 5JR vis CF mirror caps.

Lifetime, annual contributors, and 20+ year members of National Corvette Museum.

Comment

I'm a little more optimistic than you, because I think they'll be able to get the paint ready for a SORP in February. ACM may be the problem child, cause I don't think they have built one yet. The articles I've seen didn't specify what day in February they planned to start. With target production weeks shown in Kerbeck's list, it looks like the 3rd. Where I'm more concerned would be the availability of the mechanical items. The E60 lift kit and maybe the ground effects stuff which were previously constrained.
        New C8: GDO yellow, DTH CF Racing stripes, Q8Q CF wheels, Z51, J6E yellow calipers, E60 Front end lift, ZZ3 engine appearance pkg, FE4 mag ride, 5VM C fiber ground effects, EYK chrome badges, FA5 C Fiber interior trim, AH2 GT2 seats, 3M9 yellow seat belts, HZN Natural Dipped Interior.

Comment

Can I take it as fact that my car will be made and delivered exactly as ordered, no matter how long I have to wait?
          I've been through this before. My very first new car, back in 1967, had to be reordered, and I waited another month because someone didn't equip it properly.
          Last edited by Ralston; 11-27-2019, 12:11 PM.
          C8 Coupe, Zeus Bronze, 3LT, TU7, HUE, GUI, CF7, EFY, EYK, J6N, NPP, E60, STI, VQK

Comment

In the current world, once your car order is submitted by your dealer (and he/she has smartly required you to sign off on your order because it is submitted so you can proof their work — to protect you and them), and once you get a print out from your dealer showing that it is status 2000 (or higher), and the accompanying order dealers and you also proof them letter by letter and number by number, that is exactly the car that will be delivered to you at your dealership.

The two biggest errors sources are the customer and the salesperson. That is why immediately before Mike Furman was going to submit on our order (of course his draft submittal was based on what we had in writing earlier sent to him), he sent us a copy for our review, sign, and date, and before we signed it, my wife and read it super slowly to each other comparing it to our original list, and then the complete reverse process.

For as we all know, I single wrong letter or a single wrong number can result in a car we do not want arriving at our dealership. To be totally candid, dealerships are super smart to do the process described above, for it is amazing how many customers have amnesia between initial ordering and delivery, then claim that the delivered car was not what they ordered (and why Mike and other top sale personnel have you sign and date the initial order).

Comment

Thank you for setting expectations closer to where they should be. I am down the list with Mike Furman, having placed my deposit in mid-September. Due to the strike I fear I will be up against 2021 production. I am assuming Mike would roll me into early 2021 orders, rather than put me at the back of the 2021 line. Anybody have any thoughts on this? My assumption is based only on what seems fair to me.

Given this, I am perplexed as to why Mike has not yet filled closed his 2020 list.

Comment

Mike’s system is exactly as you have described it, with all having a time and date stamped folder. The only way one move backwards is if one chooses to, e.g., “thanks for calling me for my 2020 Stingray coupe, but I am wanting for a HTC, etc. And when one slides backwards by their own choice, it is never going straight back to the end of the long folder line.

Hypothetically, if you were order #456, and the 2020 year ended with order # 455, you would be the first order for the 2021 (again unless at that point you have decided to wait for the estimated timeframe for a later C8 version).

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post
                  Mike’s system is exactly as you have described it, with all having a time and date stamped folder. The only way one move backwards is if one chooses to, e.g., “thanks for calling me for my 2020 Stingray coupe, but I am wanting for a HTC, etc. And when one slides backwards by their own choice, it is never going straight back to the end of the long folder line.

Hypothetically, if you were order #456, and the 2020 year ended with order # 455, you would be the first order for the 2021 (again unless at that point you have decided to wait for the estimated timeframe for a later C8 version).
                  Thank you John! You have no idea how much you have eased my mind.

Here's a slightly different scenario: Say I am order #455 of 500, and he calls me for my build. If I choose to wait for the 2021, maybe only 1-3 months later, where do I end up in line for 2021? I might want a 2021 for other options available, colors, or because I want the newest year. I realize there could be a price difference, but I figure the 2020's won't finish with no price increase.

Comment

You keep sliding backwards until after all who were ahead of you who also chose to wait for a 2021, still however remain, in the same order, and ahead of you to getting 2021 orders submitted., e.g., time and dates always govern order submittal.

Comment

Great post John.

Some of the problem with GM not having a good forecast of options requirements may, in part, be because of the way some dealers choose to run their businesses. My dealer uses paper files. He says he doesn't put the orders into GM's system till he has a production slot. If he put the order in when to buyer placed the deposit GM would have a wealth of data on future demand.
                      C8 - 2LT, GS7, Z51, FE4, AE4, HU7, N26, E60

Comment

Thanks John, appreciate everyone for your edumacation on the Chevy process. David

Comment

I visited my dealer yesterday to ask about December ordering. They told me because of the new process, my torch red 1lt with no options is now back at the top of the list, since I was their first sale. They originally were allowed 8 cars, that has been expanded to 15, which are of course all sold. They got one order in before the strike, and will put my order in the moment the order process reopens.

Comment

Will, that would be terrific news for your order going in during the December consensus’ (though we know they will again be split as they were in December).

Comment

I am #3 at Jim Turner Chevrolet. My order is for a Torch Red/Adrenaline Red with the Z-51 package, FE4, JRF and engine appearance package. I have a few accessories like car cover, roof panel storage bag and cargo net set that I don't care if come at a later date. Basically just a weekend track car. I don't see anything in my order that would cause a delay in production due to unavailability but I do know that Turner has not "officially" submitted any build orders. They do have my deposit check though. I was originally told April/May delivery but with the strike and other changes I have no idea when the car will be built or available.

Until then I will just keep smiling while I drive my 2007 convertible.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X