Following Your C8 To Its New Home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Following Your C8 To Its New Home

Three or four months back I remember hearing some information about our ability to follow (track) our C8 after it has left BGA on the hauler. I don’t remember the details (old age, duh) but I’m guessing the hauler’s GPS location will be used. Has anyone else heard about this?

Last edited by Cobra502; 08-26-2019, 10:57 PM.

Regrettably, we do not get information directly from the transporter company. Here’s our far-from-perfect alternative current methods.

If you give your dealer your credit card and ask them to register your OnStar account immediately (at the time the rest of the final purchasing paperwork is filled out), then you could use your OnStar tracking services to track its location. Unfortunately, to keep the battery from depletion, if a vehicle does not move within three days, it shuts off this program until it is literally driven. This results in two or more circumstances that are far from useful, both centered on it not being whether your vehicle is being moved by an external vehicle (transporter truck or rail train), but whether it is being moved under its own power after its motor was started, then driven.

Say your car is completed early in the process when the initial new-generation Corvette is in the QCH process (quality control hold), which could be two to six weeks long, but many are predicting will be around 4 weeks, no tracking would occur after day three until your car were to be moved. Yet, when it does get moved onto a transporter, that typically activates the OnStar from hibernation and you could track it during the next three days. However, if the transporter Delivery process takes longer than 72 hours (no too often but definitively can happen), again OnStar would shut down while your C8 is being moved about on a transporter.

A much worse situation occurs when it is loaded onto a train and travels sometimes weeks, to say the west coast, for while the train is moving, your car is not moving after that three day battery shut down under its own power after the engine has been turned on then off.

There used to be a nice alternative for train travel, and that was through CSX’s “where is my freight now” program. Problem was, and is, that that program is designed to be only used by the company paying for the freight transports, e.g., GM who hires the train company to move vehicles — not for us end consumers. While this program worked for years, for example I was able tot track my car by calling CSX talking to its computer by providing the train car number, etc, CSX now has a rotating passcode system that prevents us end purchasers to use their system for individual vehicle (or complete rail car) tracking.

Once a vehicle leaves BGA, GM, yes sad but true, will not provide us purchasers, vehicle locates. They allow dealers to inquire, but few provide this information to its customers, and even when dealers do such inquiries, it is not a GPS based precise system, but a periodic, batch inquiry process.

The above “system” is why it is currently “invidual vehicle difficult,” much of the time not possible, to track our vehicle’s GPS progress from BGA to our dealership. Perhaps you are one of the fortunate ones whose C8, after GM’s official release to the transporter company, with the loading of your C8 onto the transporter truck activating your OnStar, and thenyour transporter delivering it to your dealer in less than three days, to follow it from BGA departure to your dealer in a continuous basis.
    GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

Thanks John, I didn't think it would simple!

Comment

Has anybody turned on OnStar to track their delivery had an issue with that causing the battery to go flat? I have been able to start the trial but salesman says not to start any app on the car that would drain the battery. Seems to me that a three day activation of the service shouldn't cause an issue...
        '21 2LT Coupe, Z51, Torch Red over Black w/ microfiber, GT2 seats, FE4 mag ride, J6N edge red calipers, E60 front lift, Q8Q Carbon Flash wheels

Deposit w/ Mike Furman 10/16/19
        Placed hold on process 12/31/20
        Order placed 2/13/21
        Status 1100 2/17/21
        Status 3000 3/24/21
        Status 3300 6/18/21
        PTW 6/28/21 now 7/5/21
        Born on 7/7/21
        7/24/21 Took delivery @ Power Chev outside of Salem ORhttps://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Originally posted by Mid engined Murph View Post
          Has anybody turned on OnStar to track their delivery had an issue with that causing the battery to go flat? I have been able to start the trial but salesman says not to start any app on the car that would drain the battery. Seems to me that a three day activation of the service shouldn't cause an issue...
          Is it worth the risk? What if it takes longer than 3 days for delivery?

Comment

Originally posted by Mid engined Murph View Post

I followed my car all the way in on my phone using OnStar...thus, I was able Click image for larger version

Name:	20210406_133207.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	257.7 KB
ID:	289364​​
            to watch it come off the trailer...it fired right up-no issues. Mine was the last to come off.
            '21 C8 HTC- Torch Red, Z51, GT2 in Black/Adrenaline two-tone, FE4, D84, E60, Q8T,...

Comment

I used a closed transport (plycar) from Criswell to San Diego. onstar/mychevrolet was activated and I was able to locate it via the mychevrolet app. Battery was fine when it got here after about a week, but it certainly could be a concern if it took longer. Note, also plycar has tracking available on a web site, they put the link on the paperwork.

Comment

I think that, unless you're using your phone to check the car's location every hour on the hour, it's not going to be that big a deal. Checking location turns on the GPS for less than a minute. If the battery dies from that, it was defective to start with. Check it once a day to start, then maybe every few hours as it gets close, and the battery will be fine.
                Delivered 5/29!: Scarlet Fever 2021 2LT HTC, Red Mist Metallic Tintcoat, two-tone Natural w/ suede inserts, Mag Ride, Performance Exhaust

Gone but not forgotten: SunKissed, 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club: https://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org/

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

Works like a charm, car is in Elk Point, South Dakota 1669 miles to the courtesy delivery at Power Chev in Salem OR...maybe a next week delivery?
                  Last edited by Mid engined Murph; 07-16-2021, 09:59 AM.
                  '21 2LT Coupe, Z51, Torch Red over Black w/ microfiber, GT2 seats, FE4 mag ride, J6N edge red calipers, E60 front lift, Q8Q Carbon Flash wheels

Deposit w/ Mike Furman 10/16/19
                  Placed hold on process 12/31/20
                  Order placed 2/13/21
                  Status 1100 2/17/21
                  Status 3000 3/24/21
                  Status 3300 6/18/21
                  PTW 6/28/21 now 7/5/21
                  Born on 7/7/21
                  7/24/21 Took delivery @ Power Chev outside of Salem ORhttps://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...ilies/cool.png

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X