Adnimation ATF

Collapse

MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Cost to detach the Rear Wing and Front Splitter from Z51 ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cost to detach the Rear Wing and Front Splitter from Z51 ?

What if I order Z51 package and received, then go to a shop to detach the Rear Wing and the Front Splitter ? how much does it cost approximately?

Also, what if I sell the detached rea wing and front splitter to some individual who want to buy? How much could I get from selling them?

Could you please tell your insight ?
    thank you

The issues will be the holes on the rear deck... that won't be easily fixable.
    2020 C8 | Torch Red | Z51 | 3LT | Carbon | Comp Seats
    2016 Porsche GT4 | Black everything ... sold
    2016 BMW M2 | Blue | MT ... sold
    2014 C7 | Torch Red | Z51 | 2LT ... sold

Comment

Ive thought of that as well early on.

i believe in less than one hour a trusted gm tech could accomplish this task and I believe they charge 130 an hour..

ive seen my tech pull the front facia off my corvette and put it back in about an hour if I remember correctly ...I dont know if the rear facia needs to come off or if the wing can be detached through the taillights.

i also believe and its just my opinion the asc and many other vendors will meet the desires of the corvette community with a small ducktail like rear spoiler for not a lot of money that will cover the holes by its very presence.

most probably black but could get painted body color if you prefer.

i do think there could be a market for the 2nd hand rear spoiler as it does generate 400 lbs of downforceand some corvette enthusiasts might like that look although many many many and did I mention many corvette enthusoasts at carlisle did not appreciate the look of that wing.

how much can you sell that rear wing for? I think if my assumption is correct on the aftermarket very small ducktail like spoiler is offered ...there would be quite the supply of gm wings available so I wouldnt expect too high a price on the ducktail..

id guess a hundred but it could be less

I have no doubt many hours were spent in the wind tunnel perfecting its design to generate 400 lbs of downforce but man is it unpleasing to the eyes..of many people.

its been said change is hard to accept and for the most part I try and keep an open mind...

had it been a separate cost option I wouldnt have touched it...

im ok with the rear spoiler at this point...I can appreciate it function and keep it on with a smile on my face...

i decided after reading forum member meyerweb’s insights body color is the way Im going to go.

I think body colored and the shape of the wing will be less apparent.

god bless wind tunnels.. gave us shapes we never knew we d eventually learn to love for their function if not their form.
      Last edited by JB; 08-24-2019, 01:46 PM.

Comment

JB, In your opinion, do you think that ACS may eventually come up with a spoiler that would be very similar to the Stage II wickerbills ala C7 GS? Not sure what the down force numbers would be, but imo, I think it'd look very cool. Any thoughts?
        2020 C8 Stingray Coupe 2LT; LBR Metallic / Natural Interior; GT1 Seats; EFY; Silver Hash Marks; E60-Front Lift; ZZ3-Engine Pkg; NPP-Exhaust; Edge Red Calipers; Edge Red Eng Cover; EYK; VQK; RXH; WKQ; SC7; GNOCC charter member. C8 arrived at the dealer 8/10/20

Comment

Originally posted by DR X View Post
          JB, In your opinion, do you think that ACS may eventually come up with a spoiler that would be very similar to the Stage II wickerbills ala C7 GS? Not sure what the down force numbers would be, but imo, I think it'd look very cool. Any thoughts?
          I havent heard of anything yet...depending on where the location points are I d guess the shape and ability of the aftermarket to redesign and produce a rear spoiler more to our liking should occur.

the aftermarket tends to meet consumers tastes but of course I literally kniw nothing anout what is coming..

it could be impossible to do...I dont know...

if I order boy racer torch red Ill probably leave it as it is...

listen to tadge on the video from carlisle...Tadge has said the perfromance of the standard model is actually quicker in the quarter mile as well as having the fastest top speed....maybe if you dont like the rear spoiler and I cant believe Im saying this..ldont get the z51 option...if for example you are considering a color combo like zeus bronze and natural 3LT interior and the bronze wheels...

that car was so stunning as it sat in that color combo in carlisle this past week and the public reaction was so overwhelming just as it sat...it was unbelievable...shocking in fact how the public reacted in such a favorable manner...

On the more race inspired color choices the newly shaped rear wing of the z51 does tend to meld into the purpose built for the track look of the rear wing over time...

thats what happened for me once the camouflage came off the car...and the uniquely rear wing ...i began to be ok with it...since it does create 400 lbs of downforce...

please dont make a decision based off my opinion of what the aftermarket will do though...i have literally no inside knowledge and I can state rather clearly..the small ducktail spoiler we might have imaged will not reproduce the same level of downforce as GM s weird looking thing...

many of us will smile as we see it and remember its 400 pounds of downforce...the rest will and i believe many will opt for either non z51 or an aftermarket solution that some vendor can create if the mounting holes can work with a small ducktail like spoiler..

none of us know where those holes are yet...and what can be designed to sufficiently cover them...

Comment

Thanks for the comments. I think the look of the Z51 front splitter is also ugly as the rear spoiler. The front splitter makes its look busy and redundant and it ruins the beauty of the pure design of the front side. Also, the front splitter reduces the height clearance more than 1.3 inch of the front side and it makes to require E60 Front Lift option due to the reduced height clearance. It looks like E60 Front Lift option is not needed if there is no front splitter of Z51. Therefore, I would like to detach the front splitter / real spoiler of Z51 and keep the rest of valuable technology options that the Z51 package provides.

Comment

I actually thought as I looked at the various c8s on display at carlisle...lthat the standard models were truly more along the lines of the mclaren 570 GT and the c8 z51 leaned towards the 570S....

i really liked the clean non spoiler look of the standard model...

im accepting the rear wing in the z51 for the heavy duty components of suspension, brakes and cooling that we get...but for anyone that really finds the rear wing that distasteful...not getting the z51 is not a bad idea...its literally the model with the fastest top speed and according to that recent tadge video..the one with the best quarter track performance too...

unless tadge is afraid everyone is overordering the z51 and he is directing consumers to a more balance production run? Which I dont think any auto executive would do...

maybe someone will call ASC and find out what they are considering as far as small rear wings for the z51 equipped c8...?

Comment

JB, my choices (ordered today) are black exterior, natural/black GT1 interior, non-Z51, no front splitter and no rear spoiler, etc. My '17 GS Black Rose, had the stage II wickerbills, I think it looked and functioned extremely well !!! That's why I'm hoping the aftermarket crowd comes up with something very similar. I think it would be "outrageous" looking !!!
                2020 C8 Stingray Coupe 2LT; LBR Metallic / Natural Interior; GT1 Seats; EFY; Silver Hash Marks; E60-Front Lift; ZZ3-Engine Pkg; NPP-Exhaust; Edge Red Calipers; Edge Red Eng Cover; EYK; VQK; RXH; WKQ; SC7; GNOCC charter member. C8 arrived at the dealer 8/10/20

Comment

JB, furthermore! I did call ACS recently to inquire what's their thoughts. I was told they couldn't say anything for the time being, but they will be doing their research for their future offerings. We'll just have to wait and hope for aftermarket to come through. OR, maybe just leave the base car alone, as you've possibly indicated. Can't wait !!

Comment

The front splitter will be easy as heck to remove, with no residual holes or other telltale signs of its being taken off — and then sell it to another forum member who really likes it.

As to the rear spoiler, expensive and challenging to first completely remove the entire rear fascia and as noted above to patch those holes, then repaint. Much better option is to wait a few months until ACS Composite comes out with some superbly beautiful rear deck spoiler options — all of which will match GM holes so no patching and no painting.
                    GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

I checked with my trusted shop 2 years ago about filling the front license mount holes on a ZL1 Camaro. Remove front cover, fill 2 holes, & paint, $1000. That's Midwest pricing, not Ca or NY pricing.

Comment

Agree John ... I want the other good stuff that the Z51 brings with it. I really don't mind the rear wing it's kind of MEH. I do not like the front splitter at all. I'm a fan of the 2015-19 Z51 splitter that I put on my 2014 years ago, it has a symmetrical pattern that does not match the bumper cover. I'm hoping ACS or RPI will make a C8 one similar to the pic below.

Comment

The line off the roof and down the back really is quite nice, if not exotic. The Z51 spoiler looks disruptive.

After going through my own "how to remove and cover up the holes" phase, I noticed from several photos that the high-wing spoiler (normally not my thing at all), since it is "open", does not really disrupt that smooth line off the back. It also lends a nice shape to the car in profile, as well as making it look a little more "tuner".

So this is now my solution.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X