Feedback on the ordering process

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feedback on the ordering process

TLDR; GM is missing an opportunity regarding digital feedback and status when customers place orders for new cars; especially amongst the younger generation of customers.

I feel like GM is missing an opportunity regarding ordering and expectations in the digital age.

A little about myself: I’m ~45 years old, have a family living in the Seattle area, and have worked in the software industry for 20+ years, a large majority of that with one of the top software countries in the world. As such I’m very much in tune with the technology sector.

Recently I attended a manager training discussing our current class of interns where we discussed Millennials. One of the key points that stuck with me was the idea that Millennials have grown up with so much information at their disposal that they desire instant feedback on everything they do. This struck home for me as I have 2 children in grade school, and I have an app that allows me to monitor my child’s grades, up to the point where I can get instant feedback when they take a test, get results, and know how it affects their grades. In a Millennials eyes “do something -> results -> instant feedback” is natural and expected. I believe my mentality is the same as I use my computer and devices for everything and expect and demand instant feedback. Who hasn’t bought something on Amazon and checked back often to find out what the order and shipment status is? I shy away from less savvy vendors whose websites take days to process orders. While this isn’t true for everyone in my or other generations, it is very much true of the up and comings generations.

I’ve been looking for a new car for 3-4 years, wanting to replace my now almost 8-year-old Audi. I’m not one to buy a new car often – so when I do it’s a very big decision for me. When the C8 was announced I knew it was the right car for me and I immediately started calling dealers in the Seattle area until I found one that wasn’t charging a ridiculous markup and had allocation. I found that one of the dealers in the area was in the top 50 list and I went to the dealership within days of the official announcement; I left a $1000 deposit and was told I was the first at their dealership and should have no problem getting allocation.

It’s now been over a month. I still haven’t placed a proper order (no order code 1100), my check for deposit hasn’t been cashed, and when I asked a week ago after pricing was announced I was told the ordering manager would contact me in 1-2 weeks. I haven’t heard back after a week. Assuming they do call me back and I get an official order I can look forward to having to nag my salesperson on a regular basis to get status. I’m sure I will do my best to hold back and ultimately contact them at a rate I will feel is too slow and imagine they will feel is an annoyance.

I haven’t seen the car in person and know that I wouldn’t be able to test drive one and yet I’m in line to give GM $90k+tax. Clearly this is an emotional purchase, and I’m willing to put aside the fiscal irresponsibility of it because I only live once.

And where does this leave me? It makes me think "screw it" – if GM doesn’t want to take my $90k+ then maybe this isn’t meant to be and I should consider waiting or going in another direction (I can get an order in for a Cayman S right now, no wait). I recognize that this is an emotional response.

So, where’s my point in all this? GM (and likely others) are missing a great opportunity regarding ordering and expectations in the digital age. Why is there not a simple website that allows me to check on these things as often as I want? Why is the dealer experience so bad that I’m left in the cold with my $90k check and nobody to give it to? I don’t think this just applies to the new C8, but to all cars – and know that it is possible to build an ordering and status system that caters to both dealers and consumers and meets all expectations for feedback; it would help meet the expectations of a digital generation that (for better or worse) expects instant feedback. Whether you like it or not those expectations will not change and will likely get stronger as younger generations are born into life of always on digital communications. Not addressing this opportunity risks alienating a growing portion of the population and losing potential sales.

Thoughts?

Keep in mind even larger C8 dealers have many things to take care of including the C8.As with other posts here it looks like we will not get much information until after Sept.12.Should we,well that is up to each one of us.This is not my first rodio with Corvettes so I do have some understanding.GM really cares about all their customers.Hopefully your wait will be rewarded with a great car you really love. Cheers Jim

Comment

They aren’t even building the cars yet. Some things just take time. Once an order is at 2000 a buyer will be able to get 24/7 info from a specific GM site.
      Give me the old days when you walked into a hardware store and they knew you by your first name. Well actually HD kind of does in my neighborhood store. lol....... Being retired it’s my second home.
      Last edited by MikeC8; 08-22-2019, 11:44 AM.
      2020 Blade Silver 2LT Z51 front lift ,mag ride ,black trident wheels and carbon fiber dash

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Cadle View Post
        Keep in mind even larger C8 dealers have many things to take care of including the C8.As with other posts here it looks like we will not get much information until after Sept.12.Should we,well that is up to each one of us.This is not my first rodio with Corvettes so I do have some understanding.GM really cares about all their customers.Hopefully your wait will be rewarded with a great car you really love. Cheers Jim
        I'm not expecting any change right now. Having not purchased a car in 8 years and seeing that essentially nothing has changed with regard to the ordering process since then I think GM is missing out on an opportunity going forward. How many other areas of your life haven't been touch by technology in the same time frame?

Originally posted by MikeC8 View Post
        Between helicopter parents and got to have it now generation.
        I’m not getting what a C8 has to do with this. They aren’t even building the cars yet. Some things just take time. Once an order is at 2000 a buyer will be able to get 24/7 info from a specific GM site.
        Agreed - this is not specific to the C8; more of general observation having taken part in the C8 ordering process. RE: got to have it now generation - as I said it it what it is and isn't likely to change. Technology is changing how people perceive and interact with the world.

Comment

First off I knew what dealers in my area sold 2019 corvettes and how many they sold. So the first question I asked each dealer I contacted (2 local) was “How many allocations do you have for year? then how many guaranteed in first three month consensus?(thanks to this forum I knew what questions to ask.)
          one wouldn’t answer and the other did. This was done 1 day after revel using technology as I was over one thousand miles away from my home.
          Currently I am number 7 of 8 IN the first 3 month consensus I have a GM order number and a price at MSRP order at 1100 doesn’t mean much BUT I know I will get a C8 only the order acceptance timing from GM during Sep, Oct or Nov is the question. Since I’m a ELB order chances are late OCT or early Nov based on restraints numbers posted ,again on this great forum, and hopefully and I do mean hopefully my masterpiece will arrive early spring or maybe later don’t know exactly and no one at this point does.
          The C8 is a hit and it’s stretching the limits of the process is my guess and GM and it’s dealer networks are just a little surprised if not overwhelmed imo
          I would talk to the dealer who took your deposit and request more information about their allocations and when you fit in to their process.
          Get the facts good luck and my thought is you’ll like a C8 more then any Audi JMHO.

Patience is neither analog or Digital but it is timeless.
          Imagine a world where kids go out to play and the only limit is be home before the street lights come on..... 😎

Last edited by V1 VR; 08-22-2019, 11:55 AM.
          2020 Stingray Triple Blue Coupe “Cindyblue”
          6000: status : R8C on August 5,2020 @10:00 🥳🍾
          2020 C8 Stingray; 3LT ; GS7 Elkhart Lake Blue ; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51;FE4 Mag Ride; C2Q dual roof ; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; RCC; J6E yellow Calipers; VQK Splash Guards; EYK Chrome Exterior Badge package; R8C
          2014 Stingray Laguna Blue : SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by hamiltonia View Post

I'm not expecting any change right now. Having not purchased a car in 8 years and seeing that essentially nothing has changed with regard to the ordering process since then I think GM is missing out on an opportunity going forward. How many other areas of your life haven't been touch by technology in the same time frame?

Agreed - this is not specific to the C8; more of general observation having taken part in the C8 ordering process. RE: got to have it now generation - as I said it it what it is and isn't likely to change. Technology is changing how people perceive and interact with the world.
            As you can see I changed my original post but not in time. After reading it I decided it sounded a little rude. That’s why I changed it. Oh well not quick enough in this digital world. Sorry.
            2020 Blade Silver 2LT Z51 front lift ,mag ride ,black trident wheels and carbon fiber dash

Comment

"Why is the dealer experience so bad that I’m left in the cold with my $90k check and nobody to give it to?"

Just to hit on this point from a dealer perspective, and it may not pertain to the comment at all if your salesperson just isn't doing what he should...

GM has put a process in place for ordering the C8 that dealers have no choice but to follow. This is an unprecedented event that many dealers, and I'm guessing GM, did not fully expect. We all knew the car was going to be extremely popular, but it was only a guess at how many people would be ready and willing to put cash down, just get on the list, to hopefully get this vehicle next year and then pay $60k - $90k for it. I'm not sure of any vehicle launch in history that has been like this one.

The technology has changed in that dealers get information from GM at the same time as the consumer, if it isn't leaked first. There are leaks to different forums at different times. That means if I don't happen to see it when it is leaked, and you call me ten minutes later asking about it, then I look like I don't know what I'm doing and that leads to a bad experience for you. That is something out of our control unfortunately. This was the case in 2013 as well, but not to the scale of today. Info and rumors are circulating every second rather that minute.

I can promise that if you're dealing with a truly dedicated Corvette expert at your dealership, then he/she is really trying to stay ahead of the info as we are online every day just like you looking for the most recent info available.

I agree that an order tracking system from GM would be a wonderful tool in today's world, but my only guess is that it wasn't developed because there has never been a vehicle launch like this one. Granted it won't make a difference on this vehicle, but I do believe there will be future technology advancements due to this specific launch, so the next generation, already moving into the Corvette world, will have the information they want at any moment. You are right, it has become expected in today's world and hopefully soon it will be reality.

After all this is said, if you are supposed to be first on your dealer's allocation list, then it's time to demand more information. I would let your salesperson know it's time to show you your order is in the system as a sold unit with your name on it, sitting at status 1100 with the priority showing #1.

Ron Shinault
              www.isellcorvettes.com
              Weber Chevrolet
              Columbia, IL
              2019 Dealerrater Dealer of the Year - Illinois
              314-677-7114

Comment

Thanks Ron - great feedback!

I also hope this didn't come across too much as me complaining bitterly about the current process; I understand it is what it is. I was really trying to make a point about the need for an ordering and status system that matches the expectations that we consumers have regarding other online sales. Maybe by the time I'm on my next car it will ready

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected] Chevrolet View Post
                  "Why is the dealer experience so bad that I’m left in the cold with my $90k check and nobody to give it to?"

Just to hit on this point from a dealer perspective, and it may not pertain to the comment at all if your salesperson just isn't doing what he should...

GM has put a process in place for ordering the C8 that dealers have no choice but to follow. This is an unprecedented event that many dealers, and I'm guessing GM, did not fully expect. We all knew the car was going to be extremely popular, but it was only a guess at how many people would be ready and willing to put cash down, just get on the list, to hopefully get this vehicle next year and then pay $60k - $90k for it. I'm not sure of any vehicle launch in history that has been like this one.

The technology has changed in that dealers get information from GM at the same time as the consumer, if it isn't leaked first. There are leaks to different forums at different times. That means if I don't happen to see it when it is leaked, and you call me ten minutes later asking about it, then I look like I don't know what I'm doing and that leads to a bad experience for you. That is something out of our control unfortunately. This was the case in 2013 as well, but not to the scale of today. Info and rumors are circulating every second rather that minute.

I can promise that if you're dealing with a truly dedicated Corvette expert at your dealership, then he/she is really trying to stay ahead of the info as we are online every day just like you looking for the most recent info available.

I agree that an order tracking system from GM would be a wonderful tool in today's world, but my only guess is that it wasn't developed because there has never been a vehicle launch like this one. Granted it won't make a difference on this vehicle, but I do believe there will be future technology advancements due to this specific launch, so the next generation, already moving into the Corvette world, will have the information they want at any moment. You are right, it has become expected in today's world and hopefully soon it will be reality.

After all this is said, if you are supposed to be first on your dealer's allocation list, then it's time to demand more information. I would let your salesperson know it's time to show you your order is in the system as a sold unit with your name on it, sitting at status 1100 with the priority showing #1.

Excellent points Ron, now get back to work and make sure my C8 gets here ASAP .......😁 thanks for always keeping me in the loop about the process.
                  2020 Stingray Triple Blue Coupe “Cindyblue”
                  6000: status : R8C on August 5,2020 @10:00 🥳🍾
                  2020 C8 Stingray; 3LT ; GS7 Elkhart Lake Blue ; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51;FE4 Mag Ride; C2Q dual roof ; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; RCC; J6E yellow Calipers; VQK Splash Guards; EYK Chrome Exterior Badge package; R8C
                  2014 Stingray Laguna Blue : SOLD

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X