MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Site Maintenance

Scheduled maintenance will occur at around 07:00 PM Pacific Time on Wednesday August 21st, 2019
See more
See less

Dealership Communicating Before Your Corvette Arrives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dealership Communicating Before Your Corvette Arrives

Do you wait until your Corvettes actually arrives at the dealership and for them to call you? Many do, but I think there are better ways to insure your delivery experience is what you wish it be. The following works for me; I am sure there are alternative measures that would also work.

I am more than polite as I approach my dealership who will be receiving my Corvette — whether it is the typical dealer or the one with whom I have arraigned a courtesy delivery, and +90% of this thread applies whether it is the dealer your directly are purchasing your Corvette from or you are working with a receiving, courtesy delivery dealership.

My goal is to make friends with key dealership staff. Yes, I know that sounds corny but I am still friends with my salesperson who delivered to me our first, new GM product, a 1971 Chevy pick up. I have made lifelong friends with four other salespersons, SM’s and GM’s since. My C8 will be the most expensive purchase I ever will have made in my life (yes even my house, e.g., separate story not for this thread).

Here’s my goal: That all dealership staff treat my car with as much love and care through the receiving, PDI and paperwork as if my new vehicle is the one that the salesperson, SM or GM just bought for themselves with their own money.

What can I offer them?

*Politeness and respect;

*Bringing them more future customers to their sales and/or their service department. Most, but not all of the time, I have brought each dealership, friends, family and others to become their new customers. I never except a referral fee. I want them to benefit from their treating me right. Service departments are a bread-n-butter item to them, and for my current dealership, I have brought them way more than ten new Corvette customers into their service department; and also brought them two new Corvette sales too.

*Purchase a different vehicle from them when I can. I fairly recently bought my wife’s current DD from one of their nine dealerships — starting the process by communicating with their Fleet Manager (the person with whom I arraigned my first Corvette courtesy delivery from). In fact, his knowing I always get a very early Corvette, six months ago he called me and said, “ I know you always get an early new gen Corvette and we won’t have an allocation by the time your arrives, so would you want to do a courtesy delivery again?” Yes, YES. BTW they charge me $300 for that service, including all ancillary paperwork they file with the State.

*Improving how GM evaluates their dealership. A little not well kept secret is that when you buy a GM vehicle, GM itself (not the dealership), sends you a “Customer Purchase and Delivery Satisfaction Survey. It goes directly from you back to GM. Great tool for all of us to know about, for it at any time after you have signed a contract and your has been GM accepted, if I or you every any dealer lack-of-cooperation, such as non responsiveness to well-your-spaced-out communications, I very calmly and quietly would say, “I will be filling out the Chevrolet Dealer Satisfaction” survey not just based on how your treat me once my car arrives, but starting right now; as my goal is to brag to GM how well you and your dealership have helped my purchase my Corvette, thank you from now on doing “X.” If I were to need to say that, I would always include both parts of that statement together — to inspire the salesperson/others to be great from now on, not to threaten them. I have never needed to say that because I choose my dealerships very carefully, but on rare occasions that might be something for your hip pocket usage.

I tell the salesperson, SM, etc, that after they do an awesome job on taking care of my C8 order now and when it arrives, I am going to spread far and wide on Google, Yelp, and FB what an awesome job you have done for me (and I follow up and do so).

Advance Written Document:

I hate surprises, like when my first GM product 50 years ago had a small metal dealer advertising plate screwed right into my pickup’s tailgate. I was young and dumb and did not know better. So now my agreement states:

*I am the only one to wash the car. If they do not allow me to wash it, they will NOT do it. But since GM wants it washed, I am saving them money by my doing that for them. Always worked so far. I also bring all my new wash mitt, two buckets, my blower dryer, etc.

*I will receive not only a signed copy of PDI sheet, but also the Monroney and all build sheets that have come with the car, e.g., do not throw even the smallest piece of paper away.

*Only their Service Manager and my Master Tech will touch my car — even to move it 1” within a service bay. [As this is my courtesy dealership’s policy, not an issue with them.]

*No stickers, no drilling, nothing attached to my car except a rear license plate frame. My dealer keeps telling me that they must attached a license plate frame for all their new vehicle deliveries, that that is the owner’s directive. Fine, and after the paperwork is done, just before I drive off, I take it off and hand it back to them (recycling in its best form).

*I always make a second, pre-car arrival visit: Just a “saying hello” visit, going over the above items to insure that they are again reminded of what we have agreed on earlier. I plan this visit to occur about a week before my car arrives there. I again bring a box of 18 donuts or pastries with me.

*When the PDI is done, I quietly hand my great Master Tech a crisp $100 bill. (I also tip him $20 each time when he has done more than an oil and filter change.)

*For one day/evening, surrounded by barriers, I will display my C8 in their dealership (their earlier emailing blasting all their Corvette customers to see it — first one at their dealership). This will bring tons of customers into their dealership.

*I let them know that I will be spending thousands of dollars purchasing accessory parts from them (in fact I already talked with the Parts Manger (PM), and we are just waiting for the pricing and parts list; we agree up front to the percentage discount on each item. It is critical you go over their Parts Manager every part number, and you and he/she agree to that discount percentage before they order the first one, and in the case of a courtesy delivery dealership, you also confirm whether that discounted price includes or does not include labor; if not for specific items, what is their estimated labor and labor rate for those items. Note: Dealers make a different (higher) margin on higher cost accessory items, so you should expect different discount rates on your accessory parts.

Other Considerations:

*Almost every dealer will fill up your tank when you buy from them; but it is a super rare courtesy delivery dealer who add even one ounce more than the 3 gallons that BGA factory filled it. This is often not a bad thing, for even my SUPERB courtesy delivery dealer, fills new vehicle tanks with a non-premium, non Top Tier fuel. I always am pleased that I separately fill its first full tank with Shell Premium or Chevron Supreme.

*If you work well with your dealership, understanding that none of us are perfect and when something minor happens, I never raise my voice, instead we together work around what has or has not happened; in turn, in the long run they will help take great care of your car.

*My Master Tech has creative ways of certain things becoming “covered” by them that they would typically charge for. Somehow that extra alignment got done, and during the PDI not only did he do my custom lowering, but said, “when you come back for the required 500 mile oil and filter, if due to your suspension settling, you need some further height adjustments, just point them out to me.” Which I did, and which he did — another item never on my bill.

I value my dealerships, both the one I buy my vehicles from, and when it involves a courtesy delivery, value them too.
    Last edited by John; 08-13-2019, 09:50 PM.
    Lifetime, annual contributors, and 20+ year members of NCM.

Sounds good..i usually throw the saleman some cash too...

they make very little momey so dinner on me for the salesman and his wife is a nice touch..

what the hell the salesman makes this happen and as long as there is no accident incident etc...what the hell.

thanks for the insight although O thought you were doing a museum delivery or picking up the car in maryland..?

or was that the trade in drop off?

i thought this car was being shown at the detroit show last dec/january...now e saw it in mid july...getting pricing in august and that rollout ordering document extends the orders for some of us even further...

good thing im enjoying my beautiful corvette while I wait...

I might be starting social security retirement by the time this car gets delivered...(kidding)
    Torch Red exterior/ black interior z51 FE4 1LT VK3 GKZ HTA

Comment

Good advice John, I’m getting my C8 form the same small dealer I bought my 2014 from they are out of town not too far but far enough that service has be done at a closer dealer......thinking about your relationship approach and I will consider that this dealer is close “enough” for service. They called me when they got there allocations inquiring about my C8 interest , this after the big dealer(owned by Enterprise rental cars) who i’ve used for servicing my C7 and also bought a 2018 Centennial Edition Silverado from ,blew me off when I inquired about the C8 ...... my little dealer will get my business from now on... it IS about relationships, thanks for the reminder.
      2014 Stingray Laguna Blue “Cindyblue”
      1100 status 😊
      2020 C8 Stingray 3LT Elkhart Lake Blue 2 tone Blue int.
      3LT-GS7w/HTO,Z51,FE4,E60,Q8T,ZZ3,FA5,J6E,VQK,RWJ,ERI

Comment

I plan on tipping my salesman $100 this weekend when I actually put the order in so he will return all of my calls I am sure I will be making while anxiously awaiting delivery. I am confident this will get his attention and allow me leeway in other areas. Thoughts?

Comment

If you trust and know him, I think it is a good idea if your salesperson has been at your dealership for a couple of years or longer . However, the average life of a car salesperson at a dealer is shocking short, with 2/3’s not lasting a year at the average dealership, so will your person be around later?

Comment

Originally posted by V1 VR View Post
            Good advice John, I’m getting my C8 form the same small dealer I bought my 2014 from they are out of town not too far but far enough that service has be done at a closer dealer......thinking about your relationship approach and I will consider that this dealer is close “enough” for service. They called me when they got there allocations inquiring about my C8 interest , this after the big dealer(owned by Enterprise rental cars) who i’ve used for servicing my C7 and also bought a 2018 Centennial Edition Silverado from ,blew me off when I inquired about the C8 ...... my little dealer will get my business from now on... it IS about relationships, thanks for the reminder.
            I used to drive by two Chevy dealerships to get to my current one. Then one folded, and still ignore the first one and drive additional roughly 15 miles further to get to the one I trust.

It is all about relationships/trust.

Comment

I drive literally through three states to get my cars serviced,

i bought four gmc trucks and cadillacs from the local dealer 15 minutes from my house. They are so shady...even after 4 new vehicles purchased in literally 15 minutes...easy pizzy...

but they are so horrible in service rip offs...i can never do business with them again...

during the last key recall they tried to get ke to do 4grand of service on the cadillac that it didnt need..(at all)

that was the last time I ever visited them fir anything more than a cup of coffee and for my son to ride their elevators...

i am a nice guy but I do demand common courtesy, respect and above all else honesty...and of course fair pricing.. i always wanted the dealer to make a fair profit. I always tipped well. I always treated them with respect...

now I just smile and take my business elsewhere.
              Last edited by JB; 08-12-2019, 11:32 PM.
              Torch Red exterior/ black interior z51 FE4 1LT VK3 GKZ HTA

Comment

John,

Great points, many of which I've followed myself for years..... I also like to remind the Salesman, and Service Mgr that I always like them to save the Build Sheets for me as well. Second reminder the day before the car shows up on the transport. I've never been disappointed.

Comment

Thanks Strake. Thus, I am going to, thanks to your post, add them into the OP (in case folks stop there in the future).

Comment

Great advice. I wish I had the confidence in my local dealers as I have in the one where I am actually placing my order. These local dealers are so bad and low volume Corvette dealers that the one that will serve as my courtesy dealer for delivery most likely see a C8 for the first time when my car arrives. That in itself is a scary thought as I am sure there will be all hands all over the car.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X