MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Site Maintenance

Scheduled maintenance will occur at around 07:00 PM Pacific Time on Wednesday August 21st, 2019
See more
See less

Taking R8C Delivery, high wing dealer installed cost anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taking R8C Delivery, high wing dealer installed cost anyone?

Hello all,
    I will be picking up my new corvette at the Museum, I want to get the high wing. Has anyone tried to get a cost from their local dealer for the labor cost to R & R the rear facia and install the high wing? Also I think it will be interesting to see the different costs all over the country, if they differ.

I will get a cost tomorrow from a local dealer and post it.
    Vette's owned: 99 Sebring Silver Convert - 10yrs, Just SOLD my 2008 Crystal Red Convert,w/cam and Vortech supercharger for new C8 - On Kerbeck's pre-order list for a 2020 ME C8

Since dealerships have no idea what the price of the wing is yet and what the install will require, you might ask them how much it would cost to order a 2019 ZR1 low wing and have it installed on a 2019 Z06. That would give you a ballpark idea of what this might cost.

Comment

Thanks Jeremy, great idea!
      Vette's owned: 99 Sebring Silver Convert - 10yrs, Just SOLD my 2008 Crystal Red Convert,w/cam and Vortech supercharger for new C8 - On Kerbeck's pre-order list for a 2020 ME C8

Comment

Very good thinking Jeremy. One difference that could effect the answer, is that while every ZR1 wing is visible carbon fiber, the ME Stingray’s is not. Still, Jeremy’s suggestion will get you into the ballpark.
        Lifetime, annual contributors, and 20+ year members of NCM.

Comment

Since the high wing is an option if you include it in your order the option price SHOULD include installation by the dealer. (Let's hope) Same as the front splitter and side skirts on my 2017 GS - no extra fee.
          1969 Orange L89 Coupe - enjoyed it for 3 years then traded to:
          1972 Yellow Convert with removable HT - enjoyed it for 4 years and joined by:
          1976 Orange Coupe - didn't use it much and sold after 12 years
          2000 Yellow Convertible - new C5 caught my attention and loved it for 15 years
          2015 Silver Z51 Convertible - replaced C5 with C7 then traded for GS after 2 years
          2017 Torch Red Grand Sport Convertible - still here and LOVING it

Comment

Originally posted by BMBLBEE View Post
            Since the high wing is an option if you include it in your order the option price SHOULD include installation by the dealer. (Let's hope) Same as the front splitter and side skirts on my 2017 GS - no extra fee.
            It doesn’t work that way unfortunately! If you pick the car up at the dealer your ordering it from I believe they will R & R the Z51 wing and install the High Wing. With museum delivery you kinda get the short stick or so it seems? I am hoping they can work something out as John has stated they are looking into helping but if they don’t you should get a credit or something...

Comment

I was referring to a factory order that includes the high wing. If you order Z51 it might come with low wing installed and high wing to be installed by the dealer at no charge. In my case I'd be ordering NON Z51 with high wing and hope there would not be an extra installation cost in addition to the high wing option price. Confusing but I guess we'll find out soon when all prices are announced.
              2015 Silver Z51 Convertible - replaced C5 with C7 then traded for GS after 2 years

Comment

I gotcha! Completely understand, you are correct, these are very confusing times for buyers. IMO this was not fully baked until it was ready to go to market. Looking at the video of the Zeus Bronze car how can you not simply pull back or remove the trunk liner and have access to the bolts? Also why wouldn’t the assembly line make the proper changes to the car so all you have to do if you ordered the high wing is install it? Meaning they should attach the 6 posts before the car leaves the line then it can be easily installed anywhere. They can ship the wing to the dealerships as they are going to do now and NO REAR FACIA REMOVAL! Why can’t that be done? Did GM really not think ahead here? The new C8 line has not yet been made why not simply add the bolts and posts at the appropriate station and don’t add the Z51 wing? Come on this can’t be that difficult a challenge to solve for GM,

I hope we can get this challenge behind us pretty quickly, seems too small a piece of the car to already have controversy over.

GM, If your listening I will be happy to meet you all at BGA and help resolve this issue this week or next, let me know and I will be there...Not kidding! I will do it on my dime if we have no positive result!!! I have worked for you and Chrysler in past life’s in Zone Office’s and in the field, not new to this industry.
                Last edited by Richrat; 08-12-2019, 03:16 PM.

Comment

LPO items are accessory items. Some dealerships might not charge for changing a set of wheels out, but I don't see a dealership not charging for something that involves the removal of the rear fascia, etc., unless they are being gracious to you because you purchased the car at MSRP or you can work a deal with them. Installation of accessories is usually an additional cost, unlike installation of something that comes with the car as a factory processed part of the order.

Comment

I agree Jag, I really don’t see any dealers changing out the wing for free, simply to much labor involved. I just got off the phone with my local dealer and as I anticipated they really don’t know what the cost will be but I was told if they have to R & R the rear facia it would probably be no less than 4 hours shop time...$600.00 just for labor - Ouch!

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	32F553FE-0E41-4A80-8D0E-76CDEEACE06D.png Views:	0 Size:	1.01 MB ID:	58602 How are the bolts not accessible if you can remove the inner liner? They are right there if this were a Z51 car?

Comment

I stand corrected. Potential cost of some of these options (seats, wing, 3LT) is making my current 3LT GS convertible look better every day. Guess we'll know pricing on all quite soon.

Comment

The C8’s high wing will likely involve the required same vertical bracing, transferring downforce to the horizontal, now CF, frame connecting beam. To install that bracing would, IMO, require the fascia to be installed.

However, if GM were to rethink this, and include the vertical bracing installed while being factory assembled (charge us $X) for it being an option for those who would then later buy the high wing from the dealer, then I believe we could remove the trunk lining and do our magic quickly and simply.

How much would we all love not have the fascia needing to be R&R’d!
                          Last edited by John; 08-12-2019, 11:46 PM.
                          Lifetime, annual contributors, and 20+ year members of NCM.

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post
                            The C8’s high wing will likely involve the required same vertical bracing, transferring downforce to the horizontal, now CF, frame connecting beam. To install that bracing would, IMO, require the fascia to be installed.

However, if GM were to rethink this, and include the vertical bracing installed while being factory assembled (charge us $X) for it being an option for those who would then later buy the high wing from the dealer, then I believe we could remove the trunk lining and do our magic quickly and simply.

How much would we all love not have the fascia needing to be R&R’d!
                            Amen to that! Why can’t they do that if you order it that way up front? Let’s hope your birdies are listening John!
                            Last edited by John; 08-12-2019, 11:46 PM. Reason: Fixed a typo.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X