MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Site Maintenance

Scheduled maintenance will occur at around 07:00 PM Pacific Time on Wednesday August 21st, 2019
See more
See less

Dual mode exhaust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks meyerweb, your info on this subject has been very helpful. I'm not trying to beat a dead horse, just that it's very important to me for the exhaust to be as quiet as possible.

It'll be interesting to have someone on the forum break down the C8 exhaust's muffler design as you have done so well with the C7, to see if it really functions the same.

Thanks again for all of your valuable input.
    Last edited by George; 08-14-2019, 10:52 AM.

Comment

Keep in mind as with the C7 and NPP

Due to AFM/DOD with auto A8 tranny GM had to have four NPP valves, 2 upstream and 2 in mufflers
      Needed more back-pressure and the sound sucked when in 4 cyl mode

M7 tranny with NPP is just the 2 for mufflers

Could be same case with DCT and DFM ?

As with the C7 IF the car did not come with NPP,
      cannot just later add the NPP valves as non NPP ones did not come with the NPP controller, software
      and wiring

So think about that if choosing no NPP now and want to add later.

Corvettes owned and raced since 1975:
      1974,75,77,84,87,89,93,94 ZR-1 & 1999 Mallett 435

Comment

Just sayn - if noise is that much of an issue... why not just get a caddy??! This is a hi-performance sports car after all... not a prius.

Comment

Originally posted by George View Post
          Thanks meyerweb, your info on this subject has been very helpful. I'm not trying to beat a dead horse, just that it's very important to me for the exhaust to be as quiet as possible.

It'll be interesting to have someone on the forum break down the C8 exhaust's muffler design as you have done so well with the C7, to see if it really functions the same.

Thanks again for all of your valuable input.
          I can't take credit for cutting open the muffler. Found that pic on the web a couple of years ago.
          Last edited by meyerweb; 08-14-2019, 05:35 PM.
          SunKissed, my 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible (One of about 40)

Purchased 5/2/2015,
          >33,000+ miles

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out http://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org

Comment

Originally posted by Teamzr1 View Post
            Keep in mind as with the C7 and NPP

Due to AFM/DOD with auto A8 tranny GM had to have four NPP valves, 2 upstream and 2 in mufflers
            Needed more back-pressure and the sound sucked when in 4 cyl mode

M7 tranny with NPP is just the 2 for mufflers

Could be same case with DCT and DFM ?

As with the C7 IF the car did not come with NPP,
            cannot just later add the NPP valves as non NPP ones did not come with the NPP controller, software
            and wiring

So think about that if choosing no NPP now and want to add later.
            Don't know if GM changed it later, but my 2015 M7 has 4 valves. The two in front activate when in 4 cylinder mode.
            SunKissed, my 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible (One of about 40)

Purchased 5/2/2015,
            >33,000+ miles

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out http://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org

Comment

Originally posted by centerpunch
              There's no relationship between performance and noise.
              Except that with the NPP exhaust, opening the valves gets you 5 additional HP and more noise.

Purchased 5/2/2015,
              >33,000+ miles

Comment

Originally posted by centerpunch
                There's no relationship between performance and noise.
                No but there is also no relationship to getting a Corvette = Prius. You have to be realistic.

Comment

Originally posted by Racer X View Post
                  Just sayn - if noise is that much of an issue... why not just get a caddy??! This is a hi-performance sports car after all... not a prius.
                  OK...I get it, you don't like the idea of a quiet high performance sports car; but I do, for several important reasons. And bye the way, the last thing I would want is a Prius or a Caddy.

As mentioned before, I've simply tired of all the noise after so many years of some of the hottest cars and boats built. Not to mention when you have severe hearing loss, the sounds you don't want to hear are amplified beyond the healthy ear, even with state-of-the-art hearing aids. And no, it's not as simple as just turning them off.

As they say, until you walk in someone else's shoes.....

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X