MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

GM Official C8 Sites For Your Convenience And Inquiries

*Build & Price Your C8 with Spreadsheet:https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...-msrp-incl-dfc
*GM’s C8 Site: https://www.chevrolet.com/upcoming-v...ation-corvette
C8 Order Guide:https://www.gmfleetorderguide.com/NA...=21905&type=0#
Visualize Your C8:https://visualizer.chevrolet.com/ui?...US&channel=b2c

Also please look at our stickies in each of the four major C8 sections. Thank you.
See more
See less

Dual mode exhaust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vcappp View Post
    Here is a rev sound of the BASE model C8 in the YouTube link below I just found.

Please someone tell if the BASE model exaust note is good enough or too weaker if it is compared to Z51 version. (I would like to know if NPP Performance Exaust option is a must-have item or not? due to the good enough rev sound of BASE model?)

https://youtu.be/6b1kUI17bCI
    It depends on what you're looking for, I think. The following is based on the C7, since we don't really know what the standard exhaust on the C8 sounds like. If you like the sound of a performance car's exhaust, and like to hear it from the driver's seat, you'll want the NPP. The standard exhaust on the C7 sounds OK outside the car, but is pretty quiet. Not Cadillac / Lincoln quiet, but certainly not something that's going to bother the neighbors at 5:00 am. From the driver's seat, I don't think you'd hear it at all.

You don't need the Z51 to get the performance exhaust, though. The NPP option is available on the base car. On the C7, it was about $1100.

And we don't actually know if that car had the base exhaust. We know it's not a Z51, but don't know if it had the optional NPP exhaust system.
    SunKissed, my 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible (One of about 40)

Purchased 5/2/2015,
    >33,000+ miles

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out http://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org

Comment

Hey Forum Members on this blog about sales men on the new C8 Corvette......You are all in so right, my dealer is Estero Bay Chevrolet in South West Florida , I don't want to mention his name ....But I plopped down $5000.00 last March I was number one on that so called list......I have been trying to get answers from my sale man since then....every thing I ask him he does not know the answer, he is supposed to be the head Corvette guy...ugh. Does any one think I should tell the sales manager , help me because your sale man does not know any thing...I am afraid that come August 15th when they officially get pricing and they can place orders they will hod back my order for some fake reason...YOUR THOUGHTS

Comment

Since you put down $5K you have more than every right to go back there, in person if you can, and talk to the Sales Manager. Show him your receipt and ask him to help you. I always go in positively and friendly as I approach such situations.

Best of luck!
        Lifetime, annual contributors, and 20+ year members of NCM.

Comment

Originally posted by vcappp View Post
          Here is a rev sound of the BASE model C8 in the YouTube link below I just found.

Please someone tell if the BASE model exaust note is good enough or too weaker if it is compared to Z51 version. (I would like to know if NPP Performance Exaust option is a must-have item or not? due to the good enough rev sound of BASE model?)

Private party selling your C8 later without the performance exhaust will turn away knowledgeable prospective buyers.

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post

Private party selling your C8 later without the performance exhaust will turn away knowledgeable prospective buyers.
            Is the exhaust in the video you quoted the performance one? I see it’s not a Z51 but can’t tell if that’s the NPP

Comment

Something else to consider... i believe on the C7 the exhaust tips were 3" w/o NPP and 4" with NPP. The NPP exhaust fits the rear of the C7 car much better. I don't know if this is the same on the C8 but soon there will be some tangible data on this. One thing is true, as was said before, most that didn't spring for NPP wish they had. And it does at 5 horses

Comment

The latter. Stealth mode.
                Torch Red 2LZ.........😎

Comment

We have no indication that there is or will be a stealth mode on the c8 exhaust so if you want a quiet exhaust, you’re probably safer with the stock exhaust.

Comment

Originally posted by Gators2020 View Post
                    We have no indication that there is or will be a stealth mode on the c8 exhaust so if you want a quiet exhaust, you’re probably safer with the stock exhaust.
                    Originally posted by centerpunch

I’ve definitely seen that term on one of the C8 videos about the z mode or my mode.
                    In one of the threads on here, I think about the dealer shows of the car, there's a reference to the GM rep talking about how quiet the car is with the exhaust in the quiet mode (don't remember if they used the word "stealth" or not), and then saying "But if you want it loud, we can do that, too."

It would be pretty silly for GM to remove a basic capability that's existed for at least two generations. BUT, if one's goal is to have a quiet exhaust, I don't think paying for the NPP is really going to get you much. But Gators is right about one thing: there's a whole lot we DON'T know.

If you have questions like this, make an appointment to talk to a concierge, and ask the question. They might not know the answer, but they seem to br good at asking the right people to get the answer.
                    SunKissed, my 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible (One of about 40)

Purchased 5/2/2015,
                    >33,000+ miles

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out http://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org

Comment

L
                      See the screenshot in my post above- stealth mode clearly shown.
                      Thanks for finding that! I was hoping there would be because I’m definitely getting NPP so I’m glad to see a visual affirmation of that

Edit: I just noticed your video is titled C8 Z51, do you think this will still be an option for base model with Performance exhaust?
                      Last edited by Gators2020; 08-13-2019, 08:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gators2020 View Post
                        L

Thanks for finding that! I was hoping there would be because I’m definitely getting NPP so I’m glad to see a visual affirmation of that

Edit: I just noticed your video is titled C8 Z51, do you think this will still be an option for base model with Performance exhaust?
                        On the C7, the NPP exhaust is identical whether you have the base or Z51. I would expect the same to be true of the C8. One, it's simpler to design and manufacture one system, and one set of software, than two. And two, why would they make the base model louder than the Z51?

Purchased 5/2/2015,
                        >33,000+ miles

Comment

I’m probably one of the few guys getting the performance exhaust so the car is quieter!
                          Oh, don't be too sure about that...I'm right there with you.

I guess the only remaining question is...does the standard exhaust also have Stealth mode? Which would make it equally quiet to the NPP in Stealth.

That would be great for those who want their car quiet and don't really care about the loud 'Track' mode on the NPP exhaust. I'm still undecided since it would be fun to occasionally open up the NPP exhaust for it's sound, but for me, realistically, that would probably be well less than 5% of the time.

Appreciate all of the enthusiasm for the NPP option, however, as we enter the new age of quiet EVs and since I've had screaming exhaust systems for close to 50 years, my view is, been there, done that, don't really need or desire it anymore.

Guess I'll have to go to the Concierge to find out, unless someone else has done so. Would appreciate an answer if anyone finds out.

Comment

I think the reason I am so PRO Positive on the optional Dual Mode Exhaust is I can remember the days when you wanted more sound from your stock exhaust systems you had to add side pipes or something aftermarket. This resulted in different sounds and a constant single volume of exhaust note. Today the system that is optional by GM gives you something stock to the car and the OPTION to turn it up or down. Stock to me is always better

Comment

Originally posted by George View Post

Oh, don't be too sure about that...I'm right there with you.

I guess the only remaining question is...does the standard exhaust also have Stealth mode? Which would make it equally quiet to the NPP in Stealth.
                              Assuming it works the same as the C7, which is likely, the standard exhaust has no adjustments at all. I think it may be time for an explanation of how the NPP exhaust works. See the photo below.

Here's what the inside of the front part of the NPP muffler on a C7 looks like. The solid pipe is the input to the muffler (bottom right) and output to the exhaust tip with the valve (bottom left). On the C7, that's the outer pipe. The perforated pipe is the output to the exhaust tip without the valve (the inner exhaust tip). The actual muffler, the part that does the sound reduction, is behind this cavity.

Click image for larger version

Name:	84793d1475328945-exhaust-tips-47944909d1452295904-muffler-mod-img_4339.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	1.63 MB
ID:	59214

When the NPP valve is fully open, there's almost no back pressure in the big pipe, so pretty much all the exhaust is going to flow straight out that pipe, bypassing the sound reducing part of the muffler. Virtually no exhaust is flowing out the inner exhaust tip. (That's why if you run in track mode all the time, the out pipes get black while the inner ones stay clean.)

When the NPP valve is fully closed, as in stealth mode, no exhaust can flow out the big pipe. All the exhaust gas is forced out those big holes in the solid pipe, through all those little holes in the small pipe, and into the actual muffler, then out the inner pipe.

The standard exhaust system has no valves, no empty chamber like this, and all the exhaust is routed through the muffler itself all the time.

So which is quieter, the NPP in stealth or the base exhaust? The NPP in stealth has all the exhaust forced through one exhaust tip, rather than two as on the base system. But the base muffler doesn't have this big empty cavity: it's all actual muffler, so I suspect it is quieter.

A couple of our club members have C7s with the base exhaust. They are very quiet. I don't think the NPP in stealth mode is any quieter. If it is, it's not by much, and I couldn't see spending $1100 to make a tiny difference in loudness.

Purchased 5/2/2015,
                              >33,000+ miles

Comment

There is no “right” nor no “wrong” in anyone’s choice. What I found interesting was that after years of always putting in aftermarket exhausts in my Corvettes, I did not, nor feel a need to do so for my C7.

BB Triflow, Corsa and Borla have all been on my earlier cars (and both my DD’s have one). Have to listen it, not in a clip but by driving my C8 in lots of different way before I start making my C8 exhaust decision.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X