PDR as dashcam? Opinions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PDR as dashcam? Opinions?

I'm trying to decide on what options I absolutely have to order, and am stuck on deciding whether the PDR is worth the added cost. I like the idea of using it as a built-in dashcam but couldn't find much info on how well it works. Does anyone have it recording all the time as a dashcam and does it do a good job of it? Are there any negatives (or positives) as using it as a dashcam for its primary application?

Works great as a dashcam, with the right SD card. Easy to setup to record all of the time.

No coverage of the rear/sides like some other dash cams support.

Comment

Originally posted by STINGmole View Post
      I'm trying to decide on what options I absolutely have to order, and am stuck on deciding whether the PDR is worth the added cost. I like the idea of using it as a built-in dashcam but couldn't find much info on how well it works. Does anyone have it recording all the time as a dashcam and does it do a good job of it? Are there any negatives (or positives) as using it as a dashcam for its primary application?
      I wasn't aware you can get it as a stand alone option but its included with my 2lt trim. I would not have paid for it if it wasn't included in the 2lt but its nice to have. I used mine as a dash cam for a while. It was kind of a novelty for me since I never had a car with it. I had it set up to automatically record all the time when the car was running. Its got two settings for quality of the recording and I found it of good quality when I viewed the recordings on my PC.

After a while I started to ignore it and then decided I didn't need it going all the time. So now my large chip sits in the slot unused. I can activate at any time but it would take a few seconds to get it going. I have it set at the highest resolution. I need to try it to make sure it still works and I'll probably do that next time I drive the car.

Comment

Just an FYI, it can only be used as a dash cam while the car is running. There is no “sentry” mode to record while the vehicle is parked. I just let mine run all the time when driving, it comes on automatically on startup, then when my SD card gets full it just records over the oldest recordings (those are both PDR settings). No need to ever look at the recordings unless there is some sort of incident or something of interest.

Comment

It's not a stand alone option, but if you select the upgraded stereo it's available without the 2LT.

Thanks for the info

Comment

Originally posted by STINGmole View Post
            It's not a stand alone option, but if you select the upgraded stereo it's available without the 2LT.

Thanks for the info

Correct.

UQT Performance data and video recorder
            1 - Included and only available with (IOT) Chevrolet Infotainment 3 Premium system with connected Navigation.
            IOT Audio system, Chevrolet Infotainment 3 Premium system with connected Navigation, 8" diagonal HD color touchscreen, AM/FM stereo, Bluetooth audio streaming for 2 active devices, Apple CarPlay and Android Auto capable, enhanced voice recognition, additional memory for in-vehicle apps, cloud connected personalization for select infotainment and vehicle settings. Subscription required for enhanced and connected services after trial period.
            IOT is included on 2LT and 3LT and available on 1LT.

Comment

I got a 2LT for other features, and would have been happy to give up the PDR and save some money. But it works fine as a dashcam with the limitations noted above. My last regular dash cam had the ability to tap a button and save the last 5 minutes of video to a separate file, but with a large SD card the PDR saves so much video you don't really need that feature.
              Delivered 5/29!: Scarlet Fever 2021 2LT HTC, Red Mist Metallic Tintcoat, two-tone Naturalw/ suede inserts, Mag Ride, Performance Exhaust, MRR 755 Gunmetal wheels

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club: https://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org/

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

I use mine as a dash cam. Have it set to turn on every time the car does and auto record over old videos. I think its a great idea and it works great. I had someone not too long ago swerve in front of my wife and slam on the breaks (presumably trying to cause an accident and collect insurance). So I thinks its a super convenient way to have video evidence in case of such incidents.

Comment

Yes, it's a good idea to always run a dash cam. If the PDR works well, I'll probably order the stereo upgrade and use it exclusively.

Comment

What SD card is best for this stock onboard cam?

Comment

Does the Novistretch bra cover up the PDR camera?
                      “News of my death in a 2024 Z06 has been greatly exaggerated”

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Twain View Post
                        Unfortunately it does

Correction .. see below 👌
                        Plentyfast
                        Banned
                        Last edited by Plentyfast; 01-12-2022, 10:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Twain View Post
                          Originally posted by Plentyfast View Post

Unfortunately it does
                          As MyFirstVette said, the PDR camera is behind the mirror at the top of the windshield. A Novistretch does cover the front parking cameras, but see here:

https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...ovistretch-bra
                          Delivered 5/29!: Scarlet Fever 2021 2LT HTC, Red Mist Metallic Tintcoat, two-tone Naturalw/ suede inserts, Mag Ride, Performance Exhaust, MRR 755 Gunmetal wheels

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club: https://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org/

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

^^^

Correct, it is the "parking cameras" that would be covered with any kind of protective bra. PDR is in front of the RVM.
                            Foosh
                            Sr. Contributor
                            Last edited by Foosh; 01-12-2022, 10:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by meyerweb View Post

As MyFirstVette said, the PDR camera is behind the mirror at the top of the windshield. A Novistretch does cover the front parking cameras, but see here:

https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...ovistretch-bra
                              BTW do you know if there's a Thread on PDR setup for running at startup, my searches are not coming up with what I'm looking for?

I think I already have it setup correctly, but I still need to get a higher capacity SD card.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X