Adnimation ATF

Collapse

MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Corvette Today Podcast: TONS OF NEWS THIS WEEK

We've been doing Corvette news & headlines podcasts on CORVETTE TODAY since September 2020. I don't remember ever doing a news & headlines podcast with this much critical information packed into one podcast! https://podcasts.adorilabs.com/show/...ppfrkBCyZstwdl. This is a "must listen" to podcast. Here are a few of the topics covered in this episode....

1. Chevrolet confirms the introduction this Fall of the 2023 C8 Z06 with a new video release-and it sounds like a Ferrari
2. Corvette dominates sales in Q2 2021
3. Chevy dealerships have received their first 2022 C8 allocations
4. Callaway looks ahead to 2022 and the Callaway C8 Corvette
5. Right-hand drive C8 is revealed at the Goodwood Festival of Speed in the UK
6. New GT-3 spec C8.R expected in 2024
7. California will start failing cars with tuned ECU’s during smog checks
8. The National Corvette Museum delivers their 14,000th Corvette
9. A couple exchanges wedding vows before taking delivery of their C8 at the NCM
10. "Life in the Fast Lane" by The Eagles is a story of cocaine and a fast Corvette
11. Sigala Designs shows off a completed widebody kit for the C8
See more
See less

GM Introduces C8 Extended Warranty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GM Introduces C8 Extended Warranty

Also available on all other GM products…. Thanks gma for letting us know.

Originally posted by gmauthority
    General Motors Introduces New Extended Limited Warranty

BY DAVID FINLAY: JUN 6, 2021

General Motors is introducing an optional extended limited warranty for all new Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet and GMCmodels purchased in 46 U.S. states.

Chevrolet 36 months/36,000 miles 60 months/60,000 miles
    Buick 2020+ MY 36 months/36,000 miles 60 months/60,000 miles
    Buick 2017-2019 MY 48 months/50,000 miles 72 months/70,000 miles
    GMC 36 months/36,000 miles 60 months/60,000 miles
    Cadillac 48 months/50,000 miles 72 months/70,000 miles
    The standard warranty lasts for 36 months or 36,000 miles (whichever occurs first) for all Chevy and GMC vehicles, and for Buick models from the 2020 model year onwards. For 2017-2019 model-year Buicks and all Cadillacs, it lasts for 48 months or 50,000 miles. The extended limited warranty lasts for 60 months or 60,000 miles in the former case, and 72 months or 70,000 miles in the latter.

Chevrolet 60 months/60,000 miles Spark, Sonic, Cruze $1,030
    Chevrolet 60 months/60,000 miles Colorado 2WD, Silverado 1500/2500HD 2WD, Malibu, Volt, Bolt EV, City Express $1,334
    Chevrolet 60 months/60,000 miles Colorado 4WD, Silverado 1500/2500HD 4WD, Camaro, Equinox, Impala, Tahoe, Traverse, Trailblazer, Trax, Blazer, Express $1,416
    Chevrolet 60 months/60,000 miles Suburban, Silverado 3500HD, Low Cab Forward, Medium Duty Silverado 4500HD-6500HD $1,712
    Chevrolet 60 months/60,000 miles Corvette $2,238
    GMC 60 months/60,000 miles Canyon 2WD, Sierra 1500/2500HD 2WD $1,334
    GMC 60 months/60,000 miles Canyon 4WD, Sierra 1500/2500HD 4WD, Yukon, Terrain, Acadia, Savana $1,416
    GMC 60 months/60,000 miles Yukon XL, Sierra 3500HD $1,712
    Buick 2017-2019 MY 72 months/70,000 miles All Buick Vehicles $1,670
    Buick 2020+ MY 60 months/60,000 miles All Buick Vehicles $1,670
    Cadillac 72 months/70,000 miles All Cadillac Vehicles $2,800
    As might be expected, the MSRP of the General Motors extended limited warranty varies considerably according to the vehicle it applies to. For the low-budget Chevy Spark (the lowest priced car currently on sale in the United States) and remaining examples of the Chevy Sonic and the Chevy Cruze, it costs $1,030. At the other end of the scale, the cost is more than double that, at $2,238 for any version of the Chevy Corvette and $2,800 in the case of all Cadillac luxury models. It should be noted that dealers are at liberty to set their own prices.

There are, of course, conditions. The extended limited warranty applies only to first deliveries of vehicles in the 2017 model year or later, and not to daily rental or scrap/stolen vehicles.

It does not apply in California, Florida, Maine or Minnesota, but this refers only to the location of the dealer and not to the residence of the buyer. A customer who travels from Truckee, California to a General Motors dealership in Reno, Nevada (quite likely), or from Key West, Florida to Wasilla, Alaska (less likely), can take advantage of the offer.
    https://gmauthority.com/blog/2021/06...ited-warranty/
    GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Is it worth the $2238 for two more years of warranty? And why? Insurance (warranties) are a gamble. Is the bet (Risk 2238) worth the reward ??

Comment

I guess I always thought that you could purchase a GM backed extended warranty. (not to be confused with the 3rd party warranties like the ones promoted by the many 'robo' calls you get almost every day). The extended warranties promoted by most GM dealers had various deductables, terms and mileage limits that you could tailor to your wishes. Is this new offering simply an extension of the existing warranty???
      2020 HTC Torch Red with lots of goodies. Built in September. Museum Delivered in October......

Other toys in the garage: Ferrari California, BMW i8 Roadster, Bentley Flying Spur

Comment

Originally posted by ZORA 69 View Post
        Is it worth the $2238 for two more years of warranty? And why? Insurance (warranties) are a gamble. Is the bet (Risk 2238) worth the reward ??
        Might be worth it, but I agree it's a gamble. Peace of mind is the real benefit here. I'm going to look at extended warranties beyond the factory warranty as I near the expiration of the original. My dealer offers a life time power train warranty, so I'll look at warranties that cover other stuff at that time. Of course the lifetime power train warranty won't be of much use if I'm 1200 miles from home and the car decides to cough up a rod, or the tranny just wants to go backwards today! Maybe the thing to do is trade up to a new model with another factory warranty for three years.

Comment

Originally posted by Jetdriver View Post

Might be worth it, but I agree it's a gamble. Peace of mind is the real benefit here. I'm going to look at extended warranties beyond the factory warranty as I near the expiration of the original. My dealer offers a life time power train warranty, so I'll look at warranties that cover other stuff at that time. Of course the lifetime power train warranty won't be of much use if I'm 1200 miles from home and the car decides to cough up a rod, or the tranny just wants to go backwards today! Maybe the thing to do is trade up to a new model with another factory warranty for three years.
          Lifetime powertrain warranties from dealers are as good as the dealer and then not so much. The dealer is basically allowing you to give him a sum of money for a warranty and you agree to allow the dealer to abuse your pocket book for repairs for life then you do not void the warranty. And along the way he will be fixing things that are not in the warranty and most likely did not need fixing and The dealer will refer to them as preventive maintenance . I'll keep my money and do my own preventative maintenance after the initial warranty is over. How many have seen a GM power train **** out between 36,000 and 100,000 miles. We have all seen a few, very few. So, is it worth gamble to go without this extended warranty?? Cause most people do.

Comment

At the same time we can think of this like fire insurance on our house, medical insurance, etc. As long as we can afford the hit when it comes when we are not insured, we hope we waste our premiums and never have a claim. But is it for some economic peace of mind that some of the super expensive components of our C8’s would be covered by this new program.

I had it in one GM form for one of our Corvettes and we “saved” money when the covered repaired items were far more than the $,150 we paid for the policy. On another one the amount of the covered GM repairs was less than the policy cost.

One thing about a GM policy is that whatever dealerships you pull up to, 1) once they type in their VIN they immediately see on their screen your policy, and 2) if there are covered repairs they pay all buy your deductible once fixed and you are leaving.

To each their own.
            GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

Wondering, can a dealer or will some dealers discount this $2,238?

Comment

The dealer cost on that $2238 Corvette plan is $1119 not including their $80 -$130 incentive for selling it . Remember, everything is negotiable.

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post
                  Also available on all other GM products…. Thanks gma for letting us know.

https://gmauthority.com/blog/2021/06...ited-warranty/
                  But if residing in Florida or Calif, and buying in a participating state, can the Florida/Cali resident still just go to their local Corvette dealership to “use” the extended warranty?
                  Coupe, 1LT, Rapid Blue, orange seat belts and black interior. ETA Late 2021.

First mods: tinted windows, orange DIY stitching, orange 12 o clock stripe on steering wheel, orange EL-wire in the cabin, orange engine cover, orange painted grille protectors and orange led light in engine bay✌️😎

Comment

probably wont keep mine for 3 years

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post
                      At the same time we can think of this like fire insurance on our house, medical insurance, etc. As long as we can afford the hit when it comes when we are not insured, we hope we waste our premiums and never have a claim. But is it for some economic peace of mind that some of the super expensive components of our C8’s would be covered by this new program.

I had it in one GM form for one of our Corvettes and we “saved” money when the covered repaired items were far more than the $,150 we paid for the policy. On another one the amount of the covered GM repairs was less than the policy cost.

One thing about a GM policy is that whatever dealerships you pull up to, 1) once they type in their VIN they immediately see on their screen your policy, and 2) if there are covered repairs they pay all buy your deductible once fixed and you are leaving.

To each their own.
                      Is this just a longer (identical) warranty backed by GM or is this a third-party insurance??
                      Coupe, 1LT, Rapid Blue, orange seat belts and black interior. ETA Late 2021.

First mods: tinted windows, orange DIY stitching, orange 12 o clock stripe on steering wheel, orange EL-wire in the cabin, orange engine cover, orange painted grille protectors and orange led light in engine bay✌️😎

Comment

Originally posted by Top Off Action View Post

Is this just a longer (identical) warranty backed by GM or is this a third-party insurance??
                        It is an extension of the GM bumper to bumper warranty and can only be purchased when you buy the car.

Comment

Is the bet worth the reward ??
                          Not IMO. I've never had an extended warranty. Had my 2014 C7 for nearly four years after the bumper to bumper expired and never had an issue so I won that bet. CR seems to agree with me:

"... car owners typically paid more for the coverage than they got back in direct benefits."

https://www.consumerreports.org/car-...-for-your-car/

I recently incurred a $2,500 repair bill for my XTSvsport due to a suspension issue that also "killed" the rear shock absorbers. This repair occurred after expiration of the bumper to bumper but also occurred after the two year period of an extended warranty if I had purchased one.

So in this instance if I had the extended warranty, not only would I have been out the $2,500 repair cost but also the money I paid for an extended warranty. We love our XTSvsport!
                          Last edited by Boomer; 06-06-2021, 03:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tooold2race View Post
                            I guess I always thought that you could purchase a GM backed extended warranty. (not to be confused with the 3rd party warranties like the ones promoted by the many 'robo' calls you get almost every day). The extended warranties promoted by most GM dealers had various deductables, terms and mileage limits that you could tailor to your wishes. Is this new offering simply an extension of the existing warranty???
                            The warranty being referred to in this thread is not an insurance policy, it is 2 year extension of the existing factory warranty.

And the GM service contract (e.g., GMEPP / Chevrolet Protection Plan) isn't really backed my GM. Like all 3rd party warranties, it's underwritten by an insurance company. It's supported by GM in the sense that your policy information comes up in the dealer's computer system when they do a look up on your car, and the dealer MAY choose to accept it and directly bill the administrator. But contrary to popular belief, dealers are under no obligation to sell it or accept it.

However, it's true that like every kind of warranty or insurance you pay for, it's a gamble. GM / the insurance company is betting that, on average, buyers will pay in more for the policies than the company pays out in claims. And they're correct. Some owners will have covered repairs that exceed the cost of the warranty. Most will not. That's how the company makes money.

I bought "mechanical breakdown insurance" for my C7, and finally have a claim. It's probably going to pay out about $1800. But guess what? Over the 5 years of coverage (it started in the 2nd year) I paid out more than $1800 in premiums. I won't be buying it again.

I see people say "I had a $2000 repair that didn't cost me anything." Well no, you had a repair that cost you whatever you paid for the warranty.

Originally posted by HTC crazy View Post

It is an extension of the GM bumper to bumper warranty and can only be purchased when you buy the car.
                            Yes, and in spite of the date on the press release it isn't anything new. GM has been offering this for several years now (at least).
                            Last edited by meyerweb; 06-06-2021, 03:17 PM.
                            Delivered 5/29!: Scarlet Fever 2021 2LT HTC, Red Mist Metallic Tintcoat, two-tone Natural w/ suede inserts, Mag Ride, Performance Exhaust

Gone but not forgotten: SunKissed, 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club: https://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org/

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

Maybe someone already asked this but I didn't see the question:

Can this only be purchased when the car is new or could you add it later but before the initial warranty expires?
                              On Order: 2LT Coupe, Z51, Elkhart Lake Blue, GT2 seats, Edge Red Calipers, Mag Ride, Front Lift, High Wing spoiler, R8C museum delivery.

2000 status 5/1, 3000 on 5/4

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X