MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
See more
See less

Should I Switch Dealers?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Should I Switch Dealers?

    Placed my order on Jan 9th, 2020. I’m dealing with a local Dealer in Central Fla I’ve done business with in the past. A 3 location, long time GM Dealer that caters to perimeter small town locals. I like them, no pressure, honest, good citizens in our community. But the are not high volume VETsperts. I drive a F-150 for my daily ride and usually have a fun car. My last an BMW i8. When I discovered the born again C8 design I did a lot of research and decided this was my next fun car... Let me caveat that by indicating... I was born in 1948... so NEXT an LAST could possibly be used in the same sentence...😎. I have no control over that other than to think young and take care of the old Bod. Had a frank discussion with the Dealer... they of course like all other dealers have no window on the 2021 GM Allocation God’s thinking. So If I stick with my first choice I’m at the mercy of Dealership’s position in the real world of the Allocation God. Should I dump my Local Good Guy for a VETspert Dealer who are perennial Allocation favorites or stick with my Buds here in Florida? BTW... this order will be a premium well accessorized ride in $90Ks....

    Update... Offered my Dealer a Voluntary Kicker for a guaranty on the new allocations forth coming. Came back to me with: we talked at length about it but can’t do... wouldn’t be fair to others in line. “I appreciate that and therefore will stick with plan A and root for improved productivity at the plant...
    Last edited by UCF.Fan48; 10-12-2020, 09:20 AM. Reason: Update

  • #2
    Have you considered a backup order with a major national dealer? A refundable deposit is all it costs, and it is a great insurance policy.
    Ceramic Gray Metallic Z51 w/TT interior Spec Grey Wheels

    Comment


    • #3
      They know what their allocations were for 2019 and 2020. 2020 being reduced of course. They could at least make a guess at what their 2021 allocation might be.

      Furthermore, they can tell you where you stand on their order list. If they are open about these things you will have a better idea as to where you stand.

      Will they sell at MRSP with no sneaky fees or unwanted add-ons?

      Sounds like a major forum vendor and a courtesy delivery might be a better option.

      2020 C8 Corvette
      Shadow Grey Metallic on Black
      2LT, Z51 + MRC
      Spectra Grey Tridents
      Carbon flash mirrors and spoiler

      I'm a Rat and so is my car! (a reference to the Chinese astrological calendar).

      Comment


      • #4
        Great feedback from both of you... Thanks a Million!

        Comment


        • #5
          Totally agree with both responses. Have a backup order someplace, and get the real numbers from your local dealer. If you are high on his list already, you shouldn't have anything to worry about. Good Luck
          Rapid Blue 3LT, HTO Tension Blue, Z51, 5ZZ, E60, ZZ3, ZYC, FE4, J6N, FA5, Q8Q, SHW, VJR, C2Q, R8C

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by rickg747 View Post
            Totally agree with both responses. Have a backup order someplace, and get the real numbers from your local dealer. If you are high on his list already, you shouldn't have anything to worry about. Good Luck
            I agree. I certainly would prefer to work with my local dealer but they (1) didn’t have enough allocations (more deposits than expected allocations) and (2) they wanted $2500 ADM. Easy decision to buy from MacMulkin. I have had such a great experience with them it may be hard to go back to my local dealer, I hate to reward bad behavior.

            If you can get an idea of how many allocations your local dealer might be expecting and where you are on their order list, you will be better able to determine if you need to pad your options with a deposit at a big forum dealer. Rumor has it that dealers are supposed to find out this month how many 2021 allocations to expect. We’ll see, everything in 2020 seems to happen later than originally planned.

            Comment


            • #7
              Lots of good info in the forum... only been active on for a few days.... but well work $$ to keep it going. Appreciate the Feedback!!

              Comment


              • #8
                You want a friend at the local dealer, or, a C8 in your garage. Go with a forum dealer. Bought our C8 from Mike Furman at Criswell, and have been driving it for 3 great months.
                3LT Long Beach Red , Z51, FE4 , ZZ3, Black interior ,38S red stitching, Q8T, FA5, ER1, CFX, and R8C

                Comment


                • #9
                  I am in the same boat only mine is worse. I put my $2000 deposit down in July 2019 w Local Dealer in Williamsburg, VA. They only had 7 allocations and I was #7. Deposit refundable and no dealer markup at all. When I last checked they had only placed orders for 4. Still nothing in Oct 2020. I was not in hurry because wanted Yellow and Convertible and they were late in the production schedule, but I guess I need to switch...

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by WMBGC8Corvette View Post
                    I am in the same boat only mine is worse. I put my $2000 deposit down in July 2019 w Local Dealer in Williamsburg, VA. They only had 7 allocations and I was #7. Deposit refundable and no dealer markup at all. When I last checked they had only placed orders for 4. Still nothing in Oct 2020. I was not in hurry because wanted Yellow and Convertible and they were late in the production schedule, but I guess I need to switch...
                    You don't need to switch dealerships. Just place an additional order at a top 3 dealer, I choose MacMulkin. So when I knew nothing about the process I had already placed orders at 2 dealerships. After reading the forum I decided to make an additional order with MacMulkin. MacMulkin is another $2k refundable deposit. I now have orders with 3 small dealerships, 1 top 50 Corvette sales dealership and a top 3, MacMulkin. I only started this process in April/May and I have a good chance at an earlier 2021 allocation. So place more orders, with the right dealerships, if you want to attempt to increase your chance of getting a car sooner. I have no guarantee that my strategy will work of course. I do feel I've moved the odds, in my situation, to favor snagging an earlier allocation. Might not work, but it might:-) Hope that helps:-)
                    Mark
                    Imaginary 2021 Red Mist (probably) HTC. 3LT but maybe only need 2LT, GT2 Seats, Two Tone Natural probably... Z51 most likely... Standard wheels and Front Lift for sure! So who knows what we'll order:-)

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by MarkOnEarth View Post

                      You don't need to switch dealerships. Just place an additional order at a top 3 dealer, I choose MacMulkin. So when I knew nothing about the process I had already placed orders at 2 dealerships. After reading the forum I decided to make an additional order with MacMulkin. MacMulkin is another $2k refundable deposit. I now have orders with 3 small dealerships, 1 top 50 Corvette sales dealership and a top 3, MacMulkin. I only started this process in April/May and I have a good chance at an earlier 2021 allocation. So place more orders, with the right dealerships, if you want to attempt to increase your chance of getting a car sooner. I have no guarantee that my strategy will work of course. I do feel I've moved the odds, in my situation, to favor snagging an earlier allocation. Might not work, but it might:-) Hope that helps:-)
                      Mark
                      Great plan until the computer nannies see 3 preorders from the same person and move you to the bottom of the pile.
                      Hopefully the other dealers will refund your deposits.

                      A reputable dealer HUM -UH -HUH (Forum Dealer) will level with you about their allocations and give you a good idea of where you stand in line. Not saying that other dealers are not reputable, but there are many with their own agenda. I happened to go with Mike Furman from Criswell, as he time date stamps everyone's preorder and holds your place in line and lets you know where you are at in the process. They obviously cannot even try to give you a timeframe window - as we all know Things Happen.
                      Last edited by Frenzy36; 10-08-2020, 11:26 PM.
                      Rocket City Florida

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Frenzy36 View Post

                        Great plan until the computer nannies see 3 preorders from the same person and move you to the bottom of the pile.
                        I don’t think that’s how it works. The preorders aren’t in a “pile”. Until an order is matched against a dealers actual allocation for a C8 it’s simply a placeholder in the computer, more like the dealers “wish” list. A dealer can enter as many orders into the system as he wants, it won’t change how many allocations he gets. Once he gets an allocation he can match it to one of his preorders. HavIng a deposit and workbench order with multiple dealers is a common technique, go with the first dealer that has an allocation to match against your order. Deposits on a cancelled status 1100 order should be refundable with no problem unless it was a non-refundable deposit to start with.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by 16falcon View Post

                          I don’t think that’s how it works. The preorders aren’t in a “pile”. Until an order is matched against a dealers actual allocation for a C8 it’s simply a placeholder in the computer, more like the dealers “wish” list. A dealer can enter as many orders into the system as he wants, it won’t change how many allocations he gets. Once he gets an allocation he can match it to one of his preorders. HavIng a deposit and workbench order with multiple dealers is a common technique, go with the first dealer that has an allocation to match against your order. Deposits on a cancelled status 1100 order should be refundable with no problem unless it was a non-refundable deposit to start with.

                          Correct - Allocations are for the individual dealers to decide when to hold or submit your order when their allocations are ready to be processed.
                          We were not talking about allocations we were talking about preorders which mean nothing until a dealer matches to his or her given allocation.
                          In the above example from Mark he only has preorders (3) which may some day be matched with a dealer allocation.
                          Which is a ridiculous way to go about it, if everyone did this as he is trying to suggest others do. Plus the possibility of 2 dealers matching to an allocation and possibly losing one of your deposits.

                          Unfortunately this can be a lengthy complicated process and definitely was for most of us who have already received our car. It will be no different for those who are not yet matched with an allocation, and will likely be a lengthy process for them again once they have been matched with an allocation. Patience is definitely helpful. We all know even sometimes after your vehicle is produced - some still have waited months afterwards.

                          It is a great car and I almost lost faith and purchased elsewhere myself - but glad others helped me through.
                          Hang in there everyone !
                          Last edited by Frenzy36; 10-09-2020, 12:05 AM.
                          Rocket City Florida

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Good wisdom in 16falcon and frenzy36’s posts. GM does not care how many deposits customers have at how many dealers. They issue allocations to dealers and dealers solely choose which customer they wish to in turn to match with that GM allocatio .
                            GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              All great feedback!! So I think I’m right in thinking that an order like mine that is highly accessorized is going to go ahead for a based build because the Dealer is making those decisions about which orders go forward. (Higher Gross Margin Builds move up @ Dealers discretion) You all Agree?

                              Comment

                              MECF_728x90_bottom

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X