MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 5 < >

Major MECF Maintenance “Outage”

Sorry but please read this this major TIME OUT for MECF! Our forum software provider will undergo a scheduled maintenance from 3:00 PM to 10:00 PM Pacific Time on Thursday September 24th, 2020. The site will be offline during this maintenance period.
2 of 5 < >

Welcome Ikon Performance As Our Featured Forum Vendor

We are extremely pleased to have the high quality firm of Ikon Performance join us with their C8 exhaust system being their lead C8 product. Ikon is at: http://www.ikonperformance.com/c8-Co...xhaust-system/ Their C8 exhaust is bent, made of 304 stainless, with round exhaust tips and more.
3 of 5 < >

Corvette Today Podcast IS On Now With CorvetteBlogger and Steve Garrett

Steve Garrett and CorvetteBlogger Keith Cornett examine “Corvette Headlines & News” for mid-September 2020. https://anchor.fm/steve-garrett/epis...rftb Included in this episode are: The Corvette Visualizer for 2021 is now online; The National Corvette Museum raffles off the 1.75 millionth Corvette; Electric, all-wheel drive Corvette possibly coming out in 2023;Country Music star George Jones’ Corvette gets donated to the NCM;.....and more!Stay current on what's going on in the world of Corvette with this episode of CORVETTE TODAY!
4 of 5 < >

FOLLOW THIS FORUM RULE!

All shall follow this forum rule:

“11. Do not post URL links to any product or service that is offered by a forum vendor. Exception: If the product or service you wish to link is one that you know is not offered by a forum supporting vendor, you may post that link. Examples of the latter could include tools, common products like duct/electrical tape, motor oil, and/or providers of specialized upgrade, maintenance or repair services.”

You may use a non forum business name, posting such as, “I buy at Joe’s” but again may not post a link to nor a URL of Joe’s.
See more
See less

How do they decide which cars get shipped first ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do they decide which cars get shipped first ?

Does anyone have any knowledge on how GM decides which cars to ship first?

From what I’ve gathered there is a lot that goes into which cars get shipped and when.

For instance a car that is say built a month ago may not have shipped yet because it could have been held for QC. It could be waiting for a truck to be filled with other cars going to the same area. It could have been damaged at the factory.

Meanwhile a car built last week could be shipped and delivered all within a week of production as luck would have it that a truckload going to the same area might have an open spot on it.

What I can’t figure out is how a car that was built 3 weeks ago that didn’t get a QC hold would be still sitting at the plant while a car built 300 VIN numbers after it has been delivered already and both cars where headed to almost exactly the same place?

Surely the car built weeks ago is not blocked in on the BG lot by the cars built after it would it?

Any ideas?

You are correct in terms of customer luck playing an important role, but even more than luck, the determinant is “operational efficiency” first from GM within BGA, then second for shipper JCT within their operations.

GM works on the maxim that almost every manufacturing business does, to first meet all their C8 manufacturing quality control specs and then to release them as soon as as they can to their shipper — for the shipper to then and next determine shipping order.

Jack Cooper Transport decides, again based on their operational efficiency, how to get the most shipped as soon as possible, for JCT only gets paid when the C8 reaches the end delivery point.

As so why some cars within GM’s BGA plant get held and others do not, let’s take my car as a prime example. My VIN # 1750 arrived weeks after some with VIN’s 750 behind it. Yet I got it before VIN # 38X. What was the issue with VIN # 38X? We will never know but that poor owner waited the longest to my knowledge between it being made and being delivered.

Why was mine delivered later than VIN # 2,5XX? Because when my car came off the line it had a three problems. I do not to this day know what tow of them were, but one was serious enough it took weeks to fit. Could it have been the rumored leaking DCT that had to be changed out? Could it have been something much simpler but no replacement part was readily available. I believe I know the third problem mine had and that was a software upgrade reprogramming that effected hundreds of first batch C8’s. Cars again mega-hundreds of VINS behind me were being driven by their owners long, long before mine.

A close friend of mine (lives real near me), had his C8 completed on June 15th. Not only does he not yet have it, but it is still riding the rails heading to the PNW. Yet we saw two days ago a person’s car get delivered to him the sixth day after it was completed. Just six days!!!

It is again as you said, luck a lot of the time.
    GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 22 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

If it werent for bad luck I’d have no luck at all John.

Comment

Has your dealer given you the code? 4200 = Left BG
        Murray - Uxbridge, Ontario, Canada
        2020 Torch red Stingray coupe, Adrenaline red 2LT Q8Q E60 NPP
        Deposit: July 30/19, 1100: Sept 15/19, 3000: Feb 14/20, TPW WAS May 18, August 24 and lastly July 27,
        3300: July 15, 3400: July 22, 3800: July 30, 4200: Aug 06, 5000: Aug 7, 6000: Aug 12!

Comment

Originally posted by Murray20c8 View Post
          Has your dealer given you the code? 4200 = Left BG
          Of course not. My dealer says they have no new info since the car was built. Even less reassuring is GM Canada tells me the latest update they have is that my car is scheduled to be built the week of July 20th. This is the update they give me 10 days after my car has already been built. 🤪Welcome to the twilight zone. 🙈

Comment

In the meantime I continue to spend $300 week on a rental car.

Comment

Originally posted by Accelerate C8 View Post

Of course not. My dealer says they have no new info since the car was built. Even less reassuring is GM Canada tells me the latest update they have is that my car is scheduled to be built the week of July 20th. This is the update they give me 10 days after my car has already been built. 🤪Welcome to the twilight zone. 🙈
              Apparently they can no longer request current info from "Order Management". The get a weekly report! LOL. My car was built, but they told me my build week when I checked on Friday. Nice job GM communications.
              Deposit: July 30/19, 1100: Sept 15/19, 3000: Feb 14/20, TPW WAS May 18, August 24 and lastly July 27,
              3300: July 15, 3400: July 22, 3800: July 30, 4200: Aug 06, 5000: Aug 7, 6000: Aug 12!

Comment

My car sat behind the factory for a month before it was shipped. I know now that it was waiting for nine other cars also coming to my area. Once that milk run was put together, several days were lost waiting for a driver for the truck. At this point, I'm pretty sure your delay is due to scheduling conflicts within Jack Cooper, not with GM.
                Torch red 1LT, no options. Built June 4, received July 2

Comment

Originally posted by WillRockwell View Post
                  My car sat behind the factory for a month before it was shipped. I know now that it was waiting for nine other cars also coming to my area. Once that milk run was put together, several days were lost waiting for a driver for the truck. At this point, I'm pretty sure your delay is due to scheduling conflicts within Jack Cooper, not with GM.
                  JCT has 10 days to remove it from the lot. I would say it had much more to do with QC than shipping.

Comment

JCT has 10 days to remove it from the lot. I would say it had much more to do with QC than shipping.
                    Yea, bet thats it. JCT required to move it out in 10 days no matter what the consolidation of load is even if its the only car on that load? At what production code does the 10 day period start? 4200? If there is a delay its probably due to BG transferring to JCT. Good BG is assuring we get a well built, reliable car before allowing it to be sent.
                    Last edited by Boomer; 08-02-2020, 05:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Accelerate C8 View Post

I had a nice chat with the alternate sales guy at Brian Cullen Chev on Friday. He gave me tons of info. He confirmed mine was at 4000 and he also mentioned two or three others were at 4100 (invoicing stuff) and he thought mine would come with those. 4300 means it's in the hands of the Intermediate carrier. In my case shipping from Ingersoll. So when I call on Tuesday (Monday is a holiday in Ontario) I hope to find out it's at least at 4200 and hopefully 4300.
                      This why I asked. If it is 4B00 it is likely held for QC. If 4000 then it CAN be shipped. He can see that code ALL the time!
                      Not telling you the code at least does not look good on your dealer. You could call the GM Chris Walters. Properly worded conversation could get you the info you desire without making any enemies.

Comment

Do you know when the 10 days to ship starts? My car, VIN 4769 went event code 4000 17 days ago. I've been at 4150 for about 6 days.

Comment

Originally posted by C8Z0666 View Post

Do you know when the 10 days to ship starts? My car, VIN 4769 went event code 4000 17 days ago. I've been at 4150 for about 6 days.
                          Where are you (your dealer) located. It could be sitting in an intermediate location for example.

Comment

Originally posted by C8Z0666 View Post

My VIN is 5283 car was built July 15th and I took delivery July 30th it was held in QC for 7 days

Gary

Comment

Where are you (your dealer) located. It could be sitting in an intermediate location for example.
                              My VIN is 5283 car was built July 15th and I took delivery July 30th it was held in QC for 7 days

Gary

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X