MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
See more
See less

2021 Ordering Details and July 30. Don't Worry, Be Happy!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2021 Ordering Details and July 30. Don't Worry, Be Happy!

Hi everyone,

OK, I think this might be good info for newbies like myself purchasing a 2021, or folks who had a 2020 order that failed to make it to 3000. Just wanted to pass on this info regarding the July 30 ordering system opening up. I’ve found we don’t need to ask/force/beg our dealers to get our orders to 1100 status as fast as I thought. So if you are worried about choosing colors and options before July 30, you should not worry. Your order will be finalized months down the road. I’m sure I was told this before, but it just didn’t sink in😊. I would, however, have your build and supply it to them by July 30 so they have it. Your best effort order:-)

For folks who were in 1100 status with their 2020 orders, the info below should apply to you too. Your orders will be entered like a net new order just like mine. Your placement on your dealer list is also of great importance and you should be higher on the list than people ordering a 2021 out of the box. Most dealers seem to be prioritizing your orders though, that’s only right. A little more info for you https://www.corvetteblogger.com/2020...erm=2020-07-27

From what I understand:

The ordering system opens up this Thursday so a dealer could enter your order then with an 1100 status. This may make you feel better but it's really not as big a deal as you might think. Whether they enter it then or in August, what's important is where you are on your dealers customer order list. For instance, I happen to be #14 at a dealer who expects about 140 allocations for 2021 and I'm #5 at a dealership who were only allocated 10 cars last year. Finally, I'm #264 at MacMulkin.

Allocations from GM are divvied out on a monthly basis, an allocation cycle I believe they call it. It sounds like dealers are expecting to be notified in Sept/October what their first 2021 allocation cycle will include. Personally, by that time I will have 3 orders in 1100 status and it doesn't matter when these orders were entered into the Workbench ordering system. Whether they were entered July 30 or August 30, dealers are given allocations for cars based on previous sales and not the number of orders they have entered into the Workbench system. I originally thought it would benefit me to have my order entered July 30, now I don’t believe that’s the case at all.

What matters is which allocation cycle your order will be included in. Will it be the dealer’s first cycle, second cycle, 5th? At the dealer where I'm #14 of a possible 140, I look at it like I'm in the top 10% of their potential orders. The dealer I'm #5 of 10, I'm in the 50% range. MacMulkin I'm in the possible top 20%. Understand this is just ballparking, it just helps me understand which dealership I hope will get me to 3000 status soonest😊. I’m sure there are many factors that could throw is method off 😊

So what's going to happen? As I understand it, sometime in Sept/October I'll hope one of my dealers will be given enough allocations to include our car order. That would mean my order would fall in the first 2021 allocation cycle. I doubt that will happen but maybe my order will fall into the following allocation cycle. Folks who came from a 2020 order should hope to be in the first allocation cycle, that’s good for you!

Once my order is picked up in the allocation cycle, my dealer should then verify my build and review my order to ensure it’s 100% correct. Only then, after Sept/October, we will need to have our car build 100% finalized (not July 30th). At this moment I will understand my deposit is no longer refundable. I will then make sure I ask for a copy of my order (with order number) printed out from the Workbench system for verification. Once the dealer has all they need I should expect to quickly move from 2000 to 3000 status and hope for no more plant shutdowns. I’ve done all I can at this point.

Quick word on deposits. A dealer may ask for a deposit and in their mind it’s to keep customers from backing out of deals. Especially if a customer orders a ridiculous color combination no one else would want to buy. They don’t want to be stuck with that car so the deposit really comes into play there. In the current C8 environment, a deposit is not so important to them because they would have no trouble selling the car once it hits their lot. That’s why my top 50 dealer only asked for $500 when I went on their list.

I put this together for those of us who tend to be interested in the minutia and I apologize in advance for being verbose😊

Hope someone finds this helpful and I tried my best to be accurate based on dealership discussions... as always, please let us know if I received any bogus info! :-)
    Mark
    Last edited by MarkOnEarth; 07-28-2020, 01:45 PM.

My dealer just told me they'll do a lottery out of a hat for the 2021s, even with my 2020 order in for a year, it could be someone put their order in today that gets a 2021 and I don't at all...FFS. Time to move to the back of a list somewhere else I guess, but beyond frustrated with my dealer. Point being, I wouldn't count on what you said about the dealers, never know what they decide to do.

Comment

Thank you MarkOnEarth but what if your order is with a dealer who gets initial allocation gives it to you and it gets GM accepted right away?

Comment

Originally posted by kman0066 View Post
        My dealer just told me they'll do a lottery out of a hat for the 2021s, even with my 2020 order in for a year, it could be someone put their order in today that gets a 2021 and I don't at all...FFS. Time to move to the back of a list somewhere else I guess, but beyond frustrated with my dealer. Point being, I wouldn't count on what you said about the dealers, never know what they decide to do.
        Yes, obviously there are dealers out there who don't do what the big volume dealers do. Pulling numbers out of a hat is ridiculous! I decided the best strategy for me would be to eliminate problems like yours by getting on the list of multiple dealers in case one of them is bogus. I have found my strategy seems to be working for me... I'm on lists at a small dealer, a top 50 dealer and a top 2 dealer.

You may get some more info from the link I provided as well. But it sounds like your dealer does not have your best interest at heart. Consider contacting a forum dealer to make sure you are treated fairly... in a first in first out paradigm. :-) Best of luck getting your car!
        Mark

Comment

Originally posted by MidEngine View Post
          Thank you MarkOnEarth but what if your order is with a dealer who gets initial allocation gives it to you and it gets GM accepted right away.
          GM won't be working on 2021 orders until October/November from what 2 top 50 dealers told me. So your options really don't need to be finalized until your dealer receives an allocation AND they review your options with you. So get your initial order in and realize we have some time to make changes to colors and options:-). This is the way the large dealers do it so that's what I'm reporting :-)

So you won't be moving to 2000 until after the dealer receives an allocation for your car which can't happen until October/November as I understand it:-). Of course, some dealers may not work this way... they may push you to finalize your order early... but dealers have the ability to modify your order prior to moving to 2000 status. You shouldn't move to 2000 until after they finalize your order and "attach" an allocation to it.
          Mark
          Last edited by MarkOnEarth; 07-28-2020, 11:48 AM.

Comment

This is horrible and not fair. How in the world can they justify this method? I feel bad for you and really think you should find a new dealer ASAP. Have they guaranteed MSRP?

Comment

Let’s go back to history. My order was a first week allocation, second year C7. Dealers were told their exact allocation right before the orders could first be entered in that first six day consensus. Mine was entered, became status 2000 in the first week. For the C8, my order also went in the first week, was picked up that week and became status 2000 in the six day initial consensus.

But that process appears to be different for the 2021’s. Nevertheless,
              I urge everyone to make every decision on their 2021 NOW — as if the car going to be in your garage is what you have configured this Thursday when the sun rises.

Then IF there is an opportunity to change your color and/or an option later, you will be fortunate and will take advantage of it.

I totally agree with Mark, and in fact just talked to two top dealers in the last fifteen minutes that the latest from GM is that the first orders will not be officially picked up until September (but as we know that is as little as five weeks away). And could GM decide a week or two from now that they are going to formally accept orders before September?

There is no harm in now being 100% prepared, and while it appears that all have 5 weeks to make their final decisions, I would complete my order right now. As Mike Furman’s emails often say on the bottom, “
              chance favors the prepared mind.”

GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 22 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

Your placement on your dealer list is also of great importance and you should be higher on the list than people ordering a 2021 out of the box.
                I know some dealers are going to process orders in the order deposits were received. So if I put in a deposit for a 2021 last September, and you put in a deposit for a 2020 in December, my order would go in ahead of yours. Whether that's fair or not, I don't know. I can see arguments on both sides. In the example above, I DID get in line before you, but .....
                SunKissed, my 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible (One of about 40)

Purchased 5/2/2015,
                >36,000 miles

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out http://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

Originally posted by C8broughtmeback View Post

This is horrible and not fair. How in the world can they justify this method? I feel bad for you and really think you should find a new dealer ASAP. Have they guaranteed MSRP?
                  I totally agree that the lottery out of a hat is 100% wrong. If kman0066 you are looking for a new dealer who will sell you your 2021 C8 at MSRP, please send me a private message. I have helped some forum members hook up with a new dealer in the last week. All MECF forum members are honorable, honest, and sell customer orders C8 at MSRP.
                  GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 22 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

Go to the Forum dealers,,,huge allocations , selling at MSLP, many different delivery options . Buy out of state at forum dealers, Fed Ex overnight on doc's. and if you wish, delivery to your driveway.
                    Why fool around with dealers that have no clue or are playing expensive games dancing in your wallet.

3LT Long Beach Red , Z51, FE4 , ZZ3, Black interior ,38S red stitching, Q8T, FA5, ER1, CFX, and R8C

Comment

My dealer just told me they'll do a lottery out of a hat for the 2021s...
                      Run, run away very fast. I'm sorry to here this. Frankly, that's ridiculous. (BTW, can you send me the dealer's name? Maybe I'll be the lucky one who is drawn first... I'm totally kidding.)
                      2021 Red Mist Tintcoat, convertible

Comment

Originally posted by meyerweb View Post

I know some dealers are going to process orders in the order deposits were received. So if I put in a deposit for a 2021 last September, and you put in a deposit for a 2020 in December, my order would go in ahead of yours. Whether that's fair or not, I don't know. I can see arguments on both sides. In the example above, I DID get in line before you, but .....
                        I think most on this forum would agree that the customer with the earlier deposit date gets the allocation first, regardless of model year. Certainly, that makes the most sense. Thankfully, my dealer doesn't have any 2021 customers with a deposit date earlier than mine. But, if he did, I would completely understand why I was pushed back.
                        Last edited by First Vette; 07-28-2020, 02:35 PM.
                        2021 Red Mist Tintcoat, convertible

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post
                          Let’s go back to history. My order was a first week allocation, second year C7. Dealers were told their exact allocation right before the orders could first be entered in that first six day consensus. Mine was entered, became status 2000 in the first week. For the C8, my order also went in the first week, was picked up that week and became status 2000 in the six day initial consensus.

But that process appears to be different for the 2021’s. Nevertheless,
                          I urge everyone to make every decision on their 2021 NOW — as if the car going to be in your garage is what you have configured this Thursday when the sun rises.

Then IF there is an opportunity to change your color and/or an option later, you will be fortunate and will take advantage of it.

I totally agree with Mark, and in fact just talked to two top dealers in the last fifteen minutes that the latest from GM is that the first orders will not be officially picked up until September (but as we know that is as little as five weeks away). And could GM decide a week or two from now that they are going to formally accept orders before September?

There is no harm in now being 100% prepared, and while it appears that all have 5 weeks to make their final decisions, I would complete my order right now. As Mike Furman’s emails often say on the bottom, “
                          chance favors the prepared mind.”

I agree John and I'm a possible Red Mist guy that at the same time wants to make my decisions ASAP. With no official Red Mist to see, I told my dealer/sales manager I have 2 builds. One with Red Mist and one with Torch Red. I told him I would send him the Red Mist (it will be different because of cost of paint, interior color I want now require override, etc) but he let me know that in my situation I would have an opportunity to modify my build at a later date. He calls all the folks lucky enough to get an allocation and enters everything himself (top 50 dealer).
                          But, I am ready 100% with both builds. So I totally agree with you recommending people have there orders finalized now:-)
                          Everyone really should be ready ASAP and supply their dealer with there best effort build, but there's a good chance one will have the opportunity to modify later:-)
                          Mark

Comment

Originally posted by meyerweb View Post

Yes, I see what you're saying. They should process the orders in order of deposits received. I had not considered the situation of a deposit received for a 2021 in 2019. I suppose you didn't even get an order number then.... you're close to getting your order number now!

Comment

MarkOnEarth.....One variable you forgot. My dealership had a small allocation and when GM started pulling orders to advance to 2000 status for MY20 they didn't get to submit any orders until the February allocations. So even though someone was #1 on their list, they still had to wait quite some time to get in the build queue. So being first on the dealer list doesn't necessarily guarantee an early build.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X