MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 3 < >

C8 Reveal Countdown Clock! 1959 Stingray Race Re-Imagined “Modern” C8 Close Up Video

2 of 3 < >

Tonight @ 8:00 PM (PST) Scheduled Software Maintenance. C8 REVEAL COUNTDOWN CLOCK!

HEADS UP PLEASE: Tonight At 8:00 PM Is Scheduled Software Maintenance! Could be up to two hours long — but heretofore every one has been much shorter than the time cautioned.

Reveal Countdown Clock: https://www.chevrolet.com/upcoming-v...ation-corvette
3 of 3 < >

C8 Reveal Countdown Clock! Requirement to cite your post’s sources with a clickable link.

C8 REVEAL COUNTDOWN CLOCK: https://www.chevrolet.com/upcoming-v...ation-corvette

PLEASE, DUE TO COPYRIGHT LAWS, IF YOU USE ANY PART OF AN ARTICLE IN YOUR POST, IMPERATIVE THAT YOU INCLUDE AN ACTUAL, CLICKABLE LINK TO IT. Thank you.
See more
See less

CAUTION: Ordering Your 2020 ME Corvette

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CAUTION: Ordering Your 2020 ME Corvette

Introductory note, that this thread has been majorly changed since it was written two months ago based on updated information.

Also, my apologies for the length of this thread, but it helps one person to avoid 2020 ME orders problems (possibility even the failure to get one at all)..., that is why I wrote it.

I wrote this thread because based on some past history, compounded now with BGA’s reduced production capacity, I would not be surprised if thousands of 2020 mid engine, C8 orders were not able to be built during the entire production year.

How could this be, especially since it is strongly believed the ME will not be a limited production model?

First, a little recounting of our Corvette history… The first year of the Stingray (2014), BGA had a maximum overtime capacity of producing 37,250 Corvettes. They produced a touch more than that, e.g. 37,288 units. However, 1,150 pre-sold, 2014 customers who placed their orders during 2013 and early 2014 were super disappointed, as GM was not able to build them their 2014 Corvette. These 1,150 Stingrays were later produced for those customers as 2015’s.

Current BGA ability, including max overtime, has been reduced to just 33,000 Corvettes/year, e.g., a 12% reduction in annual Corvette production capacity. (Source: BGA Plant Manager, Kai Spande)

Above Information As Is Relates to 2020 Ordering CAUTIONS:

IMO, one needs to be smart and plan ahead to get their 2020 ME Corvette purchase.

I believe that ME will be such a super success, with pre-orders far exceeding 2020 production capability. In this scenario, there is an inability to physically make every ME Corvette a 2020 customer wants, even those with money in hand who are demanding to buy “now” their 2020 Corvette?

I personally think this is what will happen, that on the Today Show (and similar) the morning after the reveal, when hundreds of thousands of people for the first time sees the 2020 ME Corvette, we will hear shouts within those households across America, to his/her SO, “get over here, look at this Ferrari for just $70,000. We are getting one; I’m calling the dealership right now!”

Of course, these latecomers will be in addition to the many Corvette addicts, starved for the ME for already six decades, who have already worked with their dealer to secure their place on that dealership’s ME priority ordering list. Overwhelming demand for the ME could well result in 40,000+ potential orders. Unfortunately since all OEM parts’ supplier contracts often have a maximum number of each part to be made/purchased from that supplier for that specific year, GM possibly could only have parts for 33,000 ME Corvettes next year. And even if there were way more than that amount of 2020 ME parts available, as Kai said, BGA possesses, at “firewall overtime,” the maximum capability to produce 33,000 Corvettes annually. That would leave 7,000+ super-disheartened ME buyers if my demand projections were correct.
    Let stand back and re-remember one of the above facts, that in the 2014 model year in spite of BGA then making 4,288 more C7’s than the Plant is now capable of producing, it still could not make 1,150 pre-sold C7 orders. So even if the pent up just what it was in 2014, and GM only attracts an equivalent number of Ferrari and McLaren and similar exotic wanna-bees, who could never afford one of those but now can afford a Corvette ME, it is IMO probable that those many thousands of “new to Corvette” buyers will compensate for the traditional front end Corvette buyer who says about the ME, “no thanks, I do not like the way it works; and/or not buying it because no manual trans; and/or not buying it because I cannot fit two golf bags in it.”

So with all the above, it is, IMO, highly likely that there will not be enough 2020 ME’s to go around to all who want to buy it next year.

So is there anything one can do now to help insure their best chance of getting their 2020 Corvette?

1) First, recognize if you are ME interested, that there is a high probability that GM will initially limit sales only to high volume/high allocation dealers, i.e., GM has always “increase allocation rewarded” those dealers who generate for them the greatest Corvette profits. Or looking at this from the reverse perspective, if you would wait until the reveal, then go to your small, Corvette-selling dealer (with consequent low allocations for the ME), and ask to be on their priority list for the car, they you will be told, by honest dealers, “we only sell a few Corvettes a year, and don’t expect more than a few ME’s next year, if that, and already we have six on our internal, prioritized ME waiting list. —way more than we expect to get in the first model year.” The dishonest ones will lie, tell you they can easily get you one, yet by the end of the 2020 production cycle, you would be now angrily waiting without your getting your 2020 mid engine.

2) What is the biggest reason to not wait? Within 45 days of the reveal of a new generation Corvette, the list of those who have called their dealership and said, “I want one, put me on our new Corvette ordering list,” results in a tripling of that list as compared to the day before that reveal.

Most reputable dealers have a fully refundable deposit guarantee (and will do so any time before they actually match their specific allocation for that week’s consensus with your actual order).

3) Please note the below information provided by Keith Cornett@CorvetteBlogger. Scope out top volume dealers; and, I suggest that you consider starting to talk with them right now. However, first, do detailed due diligent research. Do not just call and talk with a salesperson who picks up the phone (who might have started his/her “career” yesterday), accepting their word that “not to worry, we can take care of you.” Talk for example with those who have bought from that dealership recently; and, do internet research in advance (of course not just reading dealership reviews, but reviews of individual salespersons). Also seek out and converse with local Corvette owners in your area.

As one specific example, Mike Furman@Criswell Chevrolet currently has a ME ordering priority list of a little over 200 pre-orders already. He not only has each order in its own folder, time and date stamped, but with his personally selling over 300 Corvettes every year, and his allocation being the same result more, what has one to lose. And, every deposit of his is fully refundable.

As another example, contact MacMulkin Chevrolet who is the nation’s second largest dealer, as is another outstanding dealership, Kerbeck Corvette who is the # 1 dealer in the country in sales every year. They too will have massive ME allocation, and are right now taking contact information for those whom they would later contact when they have more specific information.

Or, alternatively, if you want to buy local, find another dealer near you who not only typically has many Corvettes on their lot, sells a large amount annually and who consequently has a significant, actual, annual allocation. Or, post a thread on this forum, such as, I live in Kansas, want to buy local, anyone have great purchasing experiences for a Corvette from a dealer within 100 miles?”

What follows is a second, specific caution relating to working with dealers who either had insufficient C7 allocation and/or were not truthful with perspective buyers:

During the 2014 year and for the 2015 Z06, when I was the Exec Moderator on another forum, I was contacted by 200 members asking for my help. All had already placed their deposit down with a dealer, had been, to put it bluntly, lied to by their dealers (“sure I can get you your 2014 Stingray, no problem”) — with their consequently not getting their car. I helped them, mid-year transition to a dealer who had allocation. Of course, I never received a referral fee or anything in return -- other than the intense satisfaction of helping them get their Corvette in a timely manner. But if ME demand is proportionally higher, exacerbated by reduced BGA production capacity, mid-year-waiting, and then transferring your order to another dealer, might not be a 2020 option.

There will be two exceptions to the above thesis.

1) We recognize that those who get desperate and choose to pay $10,000 to $25,000+ over list, always manage to get theirs; and,

2) That there are those few lucky ones who walk into a dealer just the right moment, seconds after a customer’s brand new car has arrived at the dealership, but with that customer has not been able to get financing and/or insurance, or had to back out of their purchase due to their just losing their job, divorce, unexpected business financing needs, serious illness, or similar.

Lastly should you wish, please read this related thread which has more “before ordering your Corvette” info:

https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...-your-corvette

Please do something now, do not be late to getting in line to order 2020 Corvette mid engine, later kicking yourself in the butt for waiting too long.

Sorry for the length of this thread.

Click image for larger version  Name:	AB5DEE8C-7EC8-4613-BEEC-3427E91591C9.jpeg Views:	490 Size:	593.2 KB ID:	26925

Click image for larger version  Name:	7AA8FE5A-41CE-4EA4-9998-C92B1913BC4D.jpeg Views:	474 Size:	368.5 KB ID:	26926

http://www.corvetteblogger.com/2018/...ugh-june-30th/
    Last edited by John; 04-12-2019, 07:03 PM.
    Excited owners of a 2015 Z06. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 20 year members of NCM. Our 2020 ME C8 Corvette is next.

You make many good points John. I am just one of 35 sales reps on my Sales floor at Criswell...but if you blindly call in and don't ask for me you're getting pot luck at best. Every showroom has brand new sales reps that basically are just starting out and may not even know what a C7 is not to mention anything about future product. I implore you to either ask for me right off the bat or call my desk direct line 301-212-4420... or email me directly mfurman@criswellauto.com Trust me my 40 years of selling Corvettes is the type of experience you want when placing an order for a Corvette. Check out my "How To" video's on my Corvette dedicated web site CorvetteFurman.com or take a look at my delivery video's on my Corvette Furman Facebook page. There are many good reasons I have sold over 4,000 Corvettes.

Mike Furman

Comment

John,
      seriously, a very well thought out and stimulating point of discussion for this forum. You make some very interesting, and potentially valid points. Time will tell, but I think the majority of your thoughts will come to fruition. Thanks for posting!

Comment

Thanks TOBASCO. I just call them the way I see them. The difference between now and when I was a teenager, is that I know now, and totally accept, that I can be (and I am sure I am) dead wrong more than occasionally.

If however, my ideas can sometimes, or even on rare occaisions, be something that could help someone else, that is what is most important to me.

Excited owners of a 2015 Z06. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 20 year members of NCM. Our 2020 ME C8 Corvette is next.

Comment

A couple of things to consider. One, I'm always hesitant to buy a new model of any vehicle the first year. I realize that they are doing several years of testing before going into production but there always seem to be hidden gremlins that don't show up until the actual consumer gets the vehicle.
          Second, what's to stop dealers from adjusting to the demand by adding ADP (Additional Dealer Profit) to the MSRP? I still remember the '78 Pace Car episode where people were paying twice the sticker price to get one.
          Save the wave.

Comment

Good points. We do have on another thread, post after post of those who bought an early 2014 Stingray and have had nothing but joy with it. As to your second very important question, we already have two forum dealers (# 2 and # 3 in the nation, MacMulkin and Criswell), who have consistently shown that in the modern era, that they only, even on day #1, charge MSRP. As a very specific example, I got the very first C7 Z06 order placed by MacMulkin (my car was made the first week of manufacturing), and never once was there a question of “over MSRP.” It was not even a negotiation with them. They told me from the time I placed my order (and before), that I was paying the MSRP price. Similarly, Mike@Criswell, another outstanding person/dealer, has sold every one of his C7 Corvettes at MSRP.

Both did exactly the same MSRP even on the limited ZR1 production (192 units nationwide) per month.

The number # 1 dealer in the nation, though not a forum vendor, has also only charge MSRP on every C7 they sold.

Sure there are dealers who gouge. It is our job as smart consumers to learn and order from those who do not. We at MECF will help folks learn who are the “good guys.” At the same time, as per my OP, 2020 Corvette buyers need to plan ahead now, for sure as hell, when the thousands first see the ME the day after its reveal, start calling their dealers, as mentioned above, most will already have ordering lists, and most will know at least, “we already do or do not have more preliminary orders than we can fill for the 2020 MY.”

To be late to the ordering process, will directly increase one’s changes of being hit on the head twice, either the “if you want it, it will cost you $5,000 over (or $10K over or more), or the other whammy, not being able to get your 2020 Corvette.
            Last edited by John; 07-23-2018, 02:04 PM.

Comment

• Nelson
              Nelson commented
              Editing a comment
              also don't forget about the overseas orders (rhd)

Thank you Nelson. Good, relevant, additional factor. GM for sure is going to make this car is saleable in Europe and most of the world, for unlike the ZR1 which is 2,400 limited production units/year, the ME is designed to sell as many as possible.

Comment

• Nelson
              Nelson commented
              Editing a comment
              And for the first time Right hand drive

I guess everyone will be getting a Mid-engine before me, stupid GM holds, it won't be till next August to order mine if it comes out next Feb., I feel that's enough time for the bugs to be worked out.
            Lifetime member National Corvette Museum #2588
            Retired from GM, Paint Dept.

Comment

Link to latest list from CorvetteBlogger, all of 2017.
              With the beginning of the new year, it's time to look back at the sales of Corvettes during 2017 with our annual list of Top 50 Corvette dealers.
              Current Car - 550 HP 370Z Twin Turbo
              Current Motorcycle - 2018 Tuono 1100 Factory
              Future Car - ME Corvette!

Comment

Excellent information. Can someone provide a write up on historically when we have seen incentives start to come down, and what kind of incentives we would expect to see when.

Comment

Good question. Let’s see if we can collectively develop a thread here in our purchasing section over the next month. Thanks for asking. In the interim, the short answer is that unless you are the dealership’s primary son, daughter or similar, expect no discounts the first six months, and then depending on how hot the C8 sales are, maybe much longer than that. Then the same pattern will happen the start of the high performance version’s debut for the 23021 or the 2022 model year.

As discounts increase, so do we see,based on history, GM price increases — especially for the first few years of a generation. Not saying that discounts do not grow faster than increases, just that all need to be aware that there are two opposing forces.

Of course the greatest discounts are always at the end of a generation, and right now for example, many of our forum dealers giving 10% or more on some of their Corvettes in stock, some even on some new orders.

And even we we collectively later develop a more complete thread, things could always be different with the C8. What for example would happen if GM gets 55,000 orders for the 2020 ME within the first six months, however coupled with 33,000 unit BGA plant maximum, annual plant capacity???

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post
                    Good question. Let’s see if we can collectively develop a thread here in our purchasing section over the next month. Thanks for asking. In the interim, the short answer is that unless you are the dealership’s primary son, daughter or similar, expect no discounts the first six months, and then depending on how hot the C8 sales are, maybe much longer than that. Then the same pattern will happen the start of the high performance version’s debut for the 23021 or the 2022 model year.

As discounts increase, so do we see,based on history, GM price increases — especially for the first few years of a generation. Not saying that discounts do not grow faster than increases, just that all need to be aware that there are two opposing forces.

Of course the greatest discounts are always at the end of a generation, and right now for example, many of our forum dealers giving 10% or more on some of their Corvettes in stock, some even on some new orders.

And even we we collectively later develop a more complete thread, things could always be different with the C8. What for example would happen if GM gets 55,000 orders for the 2020 ME within the first six months, however coupled with 33,000 unit BGA plant maximum, annual plant capacity???
                    If its anything like I recall from the C7:

2020 MY - Without a deposit, its going to be mostly at or above MSRP only. MSRP with a deposit.
                    2021 MY - Close to MSRP or a thousand or too off through Fall of 2021 (around 5%)
                    2022 MY - Discounts approaching 10%

Comment

I think your scenario is somewhat optimistic, but wish it were to come true. Again, what is like the 1964 1/2 Mustang, what if the 2020 ME is a runaway success and even in year two, the plant can not make enough to filll all orders.

As a specific, while the plant was able to make 37,400, 2014 C7’s (before plant capacity got reduced to now a max of 33K per year with “firewall overtime”, source=Kia Spande), but still had 2014 “pre-sold,’sbut not able to be built” numbering 1,150 orders; and, right after filling those 1,150 order in the very beginning of 2015, GM slapped a $1,000 price increase on the Stingray.

We may be in a whole new ball game of pricing, discounts, etc. for the C8. for example, if the car comes in an average price predicted by Automobile Mag, Don Sherman of Car and Driver, and by Bob Lutz, an average of just $62,500, might discounts not happen for many years?

I think there are so many unknowns as to not just the car’s specs. While I personally think that $62,500 entry price is too low, again, we are still in the dark regarding pricing.

Comment

Good information in this thread. Learned a lot. Wonder how it will all unfold for the C8 purchasing process.

Comment

Let me add one thing from over 50 years experience dealing with car dealers of varying degrees of transparency and straight forward behavior. Stick with our major dealer forum sponsors for a no surprise, honest, and transparent purchase experience. You are spending about the price of three or four Malibus and the last thing you want is dealer nonsense. IF you encounter any, RUN, don't walk, away as fast as you can.

Two years ago, I was looking for a used BMW. One dealer literally tried to delay the transaction for several weeks, telling me that the financing bank "lost" the title document and it would take several weeks to get a replacement. Total nonsense. More likely, they discovered that there was no record of a prior lien being satisfied. If you get told anything that sounds like a **** and bull story, go out the door and don't go back.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X