Gas Guzzler Tax?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chrispix View Post

What insurance company? Mine was wanting like $1200/yr for it.
    I am a shopper and I found Progressive to be the best. Of course this is with great credit , no driving issues and it does depend on zip codes. I have full coverage with a 500 deductible.

Comment

Coming home from the weekend I was getting over 30mpg. No guzzling here.
      Torch red 1LT, no options. Built June 4, received July 2

Comment

Originally posted by whl3 View Post
        The LT2’s AFM is also an improvement over the LT1’s.
        What is the difference between the LT1 and the LT2's AFM (Active Fuel Management)?

Comment

I think in 2018 GM introduced their “Dynamic Active Fuel Management” for their Silverado trucks. That system could run on anything from only one cylinder through the full eight cylinders as opposed to the original AFM that either ran on four cylinders or all right cylinders, no in between! I think that everyone thought that the Dynamic system would be incorporated with the LT2 C8 engine. Not so! I’d have to research the difference again between the C7’s and C8’s AFM, but it has to do with different cylinder deactivation and firing order than the first or second generation AFM. I’m also sure that different algorithms have been programmed into the system’s ECU to make it more efficient. For whatever engineering reason, the Dynamic system didn’t lend itself to a “high performance” engine.

FYI, Supposedly the AFM systems adds as much as 7% additional EPA fuel economy to an engine. On the C7 M7, the driver had the option to turn the system on or off. The transition could be disconcerting! On the A10, and I presume the C8’s DCT, the AFM is on constantly with a much smoother transition between “on” and “off”.
          GD0 Accelerate Yellow Metallic; 3LT; HUE Natural Napa Leather; AE4 Competition Sport Seats; FA5 CF Interior Trim; Z51; FE4 Mag Ride Suspension; E60 Front Lift; Q8Q CF Open Spoke Wheels; J6F BR Brembo Calipers; RCC ER Intake Cover; DTH CF Racing Stripes; ZZ3 Engine App Package; VQK Splash Guards; ERI Battery Protection; R8C Museum Delivery

Proud LTM NCM.

Comment

Originally posted by 5632 View Post
            What is the difference between the LT1 and the LT2's AFM (Active Fuel Management)?
            I think the only real difference is that different cylinders are shut off. At NCM I asked why, and they said it was just because of the space taken up by the scavenge pumps. Otherwise, it seems to operate the same way as on the LT1.
            Current C7:SunKissed, 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible

Status 3000: 2021 2LT HTC, Red Mist Metallic Tintcoat, two-tone Natural w/ suede inserts, FE2, NPP Nickname TBD

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club.

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

Originally posted by meyerweb View Post

I think the only real difference is that different cylinders are shut off. At NCM I asked why, and they said it was just because of the space taken up by the scavenge pumps. Otherwise, it seems to operate the same way as on the LT1.
              They could be right but I believe the AFM is controlled by the computer and nothing to do with a pump. I doubt that there is any difference between the two. I think it has been eliminated completely on the 2021 with a new improved system. If I remember correctly it is called DFM.

Comment

Originally posted by 5632 View Post

They could be right but I believe the AFM is controlled by the computer and nothing to do with a pump. I doubt that there is any difference between the two. I think it has been eliminated completely on the 2021 with a new improved system. If I remember correctly it is called DFM.
                The pump doesn't control the AFM system, it's just in the way. The new scavenge pump in the vee interfered with the actuators for the one or more of the cylinders controlled in the LT1, so the LT2 deactivates a different set of cylinders. The person who told me that works in the engine performance build center, so I suspect he knows what he's talking nabout.

I'd be very surprised if GM goes to the expense of replacing the LT2 with a new engine with a different AFM system in the base model after only 1 year. The engine in the Z06 may well use a completely different system.
                Current C7:SunKissed, 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible

Status 3000: 2021 2LT HTC, Red Mist Metallic Tintcoat, two-tone Natural w/ suede inserts, FE2, NPP Nickname TBD

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club.

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

Just an FYI, I've had my C8 just over two weeks and yesterday hit the 500 mile mark.

I did that by driving on the freeway and my mpg was reported at over 26. I'm guessing it will get even better as I put more miles on it.

This car is a lot of fun to drive and I don't have to stop at the gas station every time I take it out like I did with my Vega at 4 mpg and only a 11 gallon gas tank. It wasn't a long distance car like this C8 is that's for sure.

It reports around 17 mpg around town too, so not bad for a performance mid engine car.

Cheers, PB
                  Last edited by Panic Button; 01-27-2021, 06:57 PM.
                  Previous Vettes '59, '61, 62. Current other toys: LS1 powered '92 Mazda Miata, aka Panic Button.

2020 C8 Corvette Stingray Coupe, 3LT, Z51, Elkhart Lake Blue Metallic, Full-Length Dual Racing Stripe, Jet Black Napa Leather with Adrenaline Red Stitch, Magnetic Ride, Front Lift, Chrome Exterior Badge Package, Battery Protection.

Current status: Took possession Saturday, January 9, 2021.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X