Gas Guzzler Tax?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas Guzzler Tax?

I was looking at the original window sticker of a friends ZR1 and noticed there was over a $2,000.00 gas guzzler tax on it. For those who have already purchases a C8, is there a gas guzzler tax on this car?

No, thankfully not.
    GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

Thank you John.

Comment

I'm expecting it for the z06
        Arctic White 2LT, G8G, HUL, F9, AH2, 5ZZ, E60, STI, SHW J6F, Q8Q, RCC, Z51, ZYC.

Comment

Isn't one of the reasons the C8 doesn't have gas guzzler tax is the AFM (active fuel management)?

Cheers, PB
          Previous Vettes '59, '61, 62. Current other toys: LS1 powered '92 Mazda Miata, aka Panic Button.

2020 C8 Corvette Stingray Coupe, 3LT, Z51, Elkhart Lake Blue Metallic, Full-Length Dual Racing Stripe, Jet Black Napa Leather with Adrenaline Red Stitch, Magnetic Ride, Front Lift, Chrome Exterior Badge Package, Battery Protection.

Current status: Took possession Saturday, January 9, 2021.

Comment

Originally posted by Panic Button View Post
            Isn't one of the reasons the C8 doesn't have gas guzzler tax is the AFM (active fuel management)?

Cheers, PB
            That, and it isn't making 755 HP like the ZR1.
            Current C7:SunKissed, 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible

Status 3000: 2021 2LT HTC, Red Mist Metallic Tintcoat, two-tone Natural w/ suede inserts, FE2, NPP Nickname TBD

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club.

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

Originally posted by meyerweb View Post

That, and it isn't making 755 HP like the ZR1.
              Good point, but you wouldn't think 495 HP would be in the economy class, LOL.

Cheers, PB
              Previous Vettes '59, '61, 62. Current other toys: LS1 powered '92 Mazda Miata, aka Panic Button.

2020 C8 Corvette Stingray Coupe, 3LT, Z51, Elkhart Lake Blue Metallic, Full-Length Dual Racing Stripe, Jet Black Napa Leather with Adrenaline Red Stitch, Magnetic Ride, Front Lift, Chrome Exterior Badge Package, Battery Protection.

Current status: Took possession Saturday, January 9, 2021.

Comment

Corvettes large displacement low weight v8 s along with dod and a dct really allow for excellent fuel efficiency ...even more so in the real world.

just a fabulous engineered sports car capable of zero to sixty mph in 2.8 seconds...

really quite an engineering accomplishment showcasing how awesome GM engineering is.

not perfect of course but clearly world class..

one of the reasons I so enjoy owning gm products...

Comment

JB, you every well stated the excellence of the GM Powertrain engineerIng, not only in terms of fuel efficiency and power, but also a third measure of excellence, e.g., incredible reliability. There is a C5 motor that went over 800,000 miles on its original engine block, and one not too far behind at over 700,000 miles who did the same.

Maybe we should even add a fourth leg of GM excellence, that of low maintenance costs compared to its competition.
                  GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

With some reporting as much as 31 mpg, it is an economy car. And, I was shocked when I called my insurance company for a quote to add this car to my policy. $ 702 per year.
                    As a second car. My Toyota as a first car is $922.

Comment

Don’t forget on the LT1, variable valve timing was added, as well as, direct fuel injection. The LT2’s AFM is also an improvement over the LT1’s. The LT2’s intake manifold and true exhaust headers not only added “hotrod” horsepower to the LT1’s output, it also helped in the area of fuel efficiency!
                      GD0 Accelerate Yellow Metallic; 3LT; HUE Natural Napa Leather; AE4 Competition Sport Seats; FA5 CF Interior Trim; Z51; FE4 Mag Ride Suspension; E60 Front Lift; Q8Q CF Open Spoke Wheels; J6F BR Brembo Calipers; RCC ER Intake Cover; DTH CF Racing Stripes; ZZ3 Engine App Package; VQK Splash Guards; ERI Battery Protection; R8C Museum Delivery

Proud LTM NCM.

Comment

I was curious what the minimum fuel economy was before the GGT kicked in... per epa.gov

Manufacturers of new cars that fail to meet the minimum fuel economy level of 22.5 miles per gallon (mpg) have to pay a “Gas Guzzler Tax.”
                        2020 C8 | 2LT | GKZ Torch Red | Z51 Performance Pckg | FE4 Mag Ride | J6F Red Caliper | C2Z Carbon Roof | AE4 Competition Seats | FA5 Carbon Interior | E60 Front Lift | ZZ3 Engine Appearance Pckg | 5ZU High Wing Spoiler | SPY Black Lug Nuts | 5JR Carbon Fiber Mirror Caps | VQK Front/Rear Splash Guards | RCC Red Engine Cover

Comment

Originally posted by ZoraC2 View Post
                          I was curious what the minimum fuel economy was before the GGT kicked in... per epa.gov

Manufacturers of new cars that fail to meet the minimum fuel economy level of 22.5 miles per gallon (mpg) have to pay a “Gas Guzzler Tax.”
                          But mpg isn't always mpg. What, you ask? The EPA has multiple measurements and adjustments, so what you see on the sticker isn't necessarily the same thing that is written into regulations. The sticker mpg, for example, is "adjusted" from the actual test result to reflect that owners complained they never got the the same city mpg that the EPA tests reported. (That's because the EPA city test was modeled after LA traffic a few decades ago, and LA streets didn't have nearly as many traffic lights as eastern cities.)

So the City and Combined mpg on the sticker is lower than what the actual test results are. I suspect the gas guzzler tax is based on the combined mpg as determined by the test, so not as strict as it sounds.

There are other measurements and adjustments that reflect the CAFE fleet average requirements, so the 55mpg standard that was to go into effect wasn't really as high as that sounds, either.
                          Current C7:SunKissed, 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible

Status 3000: 2021 2LT HTC, Red Mist Metallic Tintcoat, two-tone Natural w/ suede inserts, FE2, NPP Nickname TBD

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club.

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

Originally posted by ZORA 69 View Post
                            With some reporting as much as 31 mpg, it is an economy car. And, I was shocked when I called my insurance company for a quote to add this car to my policy. $ 702 per year.
                            As a second car. My Toyota as a first car is $922.
                            What insurance company? Mine was wanting like $1200/yr for it.

Comment

My Vette is the most Fuel Efficient car I have
                              [2021 2LT-Z51-HTC-Red Mist-Carbon Flash Nacelles-Mirrors-Spoiler][GT2 Sky Cool Grey 2-Tone Torch Red Belts][E60 - FE4 - RC8]
                              [Current 1999 C5 Z51 Magnetic Red Coupe]

Deposit June 18 2020

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X