MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
See more
See less

Order From Top 5 Dealership I will Never Visit (Museum Delivery) or .....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Order From Top 5 Dealership I will Never Visit (Museum Delivery) or .....

Hello all,

OK, I'm confused. It's clear the recommendations from this forum are to purchase a C8 through a top 5 dealership if possible. I assume some of these dealerships advertise on the forum. But I'm trying to understand the logic here.

I contacted MacMulkin in NH (we live in KY near Cincinnati) they have 250 people on their list with deposits. I could order through them and have a Museum delivery and not have to travel to NH.

But why would I do this when I'm on 5 other dealerships lists (2 of those are top 50) and would be able to pick up the car locally... plus develop somewhat of a relationship there.

For some reason I'm feeling the top 5 dealerships have secrets that others do not possess. Some methodology that greatly ensures our satisfaction and/or order accuracy.

So why is it so important to buy only from these top dealerships? I wish I lived closer to MacMulkin to be honest... but I'm number 1 on two 2021 C8 order lists and barely down the list on a couple of top 50 dealerships. All these dealerships are familiar with ordering cars and have pretty good customer service numbers from what I've seen.

I've already been led to believe I have a thick skull that advice can't seem to sink into, but I don't see the logic in ordering from MacMulkin (and take delivery at Museum) when it appears I will be in SOLD status much sooner in my current situation. Plus I will hopefully have an in person delivery experience with one of these local dealers.

So I just want to understand it all. I do appreciate your assistance and I find this forum very valuable in helping guide us through this process.

Thanks!
    Mark on earth and in orbit:-)

I'm Ordering from Mike Furman this week and taking an NCM Delivery
    Deposit on 2021 C8 June 18, 2020 - Dreaming of 2021 Red Mist 2LT Z51
    Current 1999 Magnetic Red C5 Z51

Comment

I believe these Dealers have agreed to sell a MSRP or list price. One of the Reasons they are the top dealers in the country. And because they deal with so many Corvettes I have technicians that know how to work on them and they know how to receive them when they arrive. The sales people know how to deal with their customers.

Comment

With all deserved respect for our forum sponsors, I would rather be third on the list of a local dealer than 650 on the list of a mega dealer. If your local dealer is MSRP, takes your calls and keeps you informed, no one can top that.
        Torch red 1LT, no options. Built June 4, received July 2

Comment

Originally posted by WillRockwell View Post
          With all deserved respect for our forum sponsors, I would rather be third on the list of a local dealer than 650 on the list of a mega dealer. If your local dealer is MSRP, takes your calls and keeps you informed, no one can top that.
          I bought from a small dealer and recived my car in March , the trade off was lack of knowledge (which at the time I think that was every dealer) and lack of communication . some of the bigger dealers that are corvette focused will give you better customer service and keep you informed as a corvette buyer. They will give you that VIP vibe that makes you feel important , which you are any time you purchase a new vehicle , let alone a corvette.

Comment

The dealers I have spoken with have all agreed to sell at MSRP but time would tell. I do understand MacMulkin would/could have superior services I would not take advantage of :-). If I had serious issues with the car I could see driving up to Coughlin. I can't seem to get hold of Rick Conti by the way...

Originally posted by Plentyfast View Post
            I'm Ordering from Mike Furman this week and taking an NCM Delivery
            Would you happen to know how many people Mike has on his list, sounds like he would be an excellent choice to buy from! I selected MacMulkin just because they sold twice as many Corvettes than Criswell:-)

Comment

This is a very true statement. Sometimes purchasing from a very successful dealer/salesman can mean you are low on the list as they would have had loyal customers place orders years before you even thought of getting a Corvette. Always do the number on list/number of allocations calculation.

I know of a person who placed an order two days before me with a top dealer that won't be getting a 2020 because of strike/corona. My car-also with a top dealer-was build two weeks ago and waiting shipping. Difference in this case is simply position on list/allocation.

Comment

This is kinda what I'm thinking too... I'm amazed how few dealerships actually get back to me and follow up! I sent a request for info at first and got nothing from 3 dealers right around me. I actually emailed an owner and asked if they were in business to sell cars. He got back to me but his sales manager has not been very responsive. Such an easy concept... Follow up with me and I am likely to buy from you:-) But so many have not followed up. So I weeded all those out.

Comment

I would purchase from a local dealer if they have allocation. I purchased mine from a SMALL dealer, 2200 miles away. VIN 4360.
                  Agree upon the price (MSRP + tax + title + doc). Ask for the order number. Call dealer monthly and ask for event code and TPW.
                  Email [email protected] monthly with order number and ask for status.
                  ​​​​​​Event Code Explanations:
                  • 1000 – Order On Hold at Dealership
                  • 1100 – Order Placed at Dealership
                  • 2000 – Order Accepted by Chevrolet
                  • 2050 – Order Changed
                  • 2500 – Order Preferenced (or “Picked Up” or “Imaged”)
                  • 3000 – Order Accepted by Production Control
                  • 3100 – Order Available to be Sequenced
                  • 3300 – Order Scheduled for Production
                  • 3400 – Order Broadcast (Internal Plant Order Produced) + VIN assigned
                  • 3800 – Vehicle Produced
                  • 4000 – Vehicle Available to Ship
                  • 4B00 – Bayed
                  • 4150 – Vehicle Invoiced
                  • 4200 – Vehicle Shipped
                  • 4300 – Intermediate Delivery
                  • 4800 – Rail Ramp Unload
                  • 5000 – Vehicle at Dealer
                  • 6000 – Vehicle delivered to customer

Comment

It's all about you place on the 'list', the number of allocations the dealer will get, and the 'credibility' of your contact at the dealer. The 'Big Guys' are big because they excel at all those things!

Fortunately, one of the top 5 dealers is within 10 miles of our home.....
                    C8 Deposit July 2018 (HTC). In the system: Jan 20. Torch Red with lots of goodies. Museum Delivery in Sept.... maybe.

Other toys in the garage: Ferrari California, BMW i8 Roadster, Bentley Flying Spur

Comment

MarkOnEarth I understand your concern. I'm dealing with the same issue and I got on Mike Furman's list in August and will be getting a 2021. I also got on a local dealers list (top 25 dealer) in November with promise to sell it to me at MSRP. My issue with the local dealer is they call whenever they have an unallocated car coming and want to sell at $20,000 over MSRP. How do you trust that dealer to close the deal on the car you order from them at MSRP when it arrives?

My gut tells me to wait for my order from Mike Furman based on his reputation, even if I have to wait longer.
                      Elkhart Lake Blue, 2LT, Tan interior, & Z51.

Comment

Allocation is the main reason. A local dealer may not even bother with returning your phone call because their allocation is already taken and they couldn't sell you a car if they had to.
                        Rocket City Florida

Comment

I ordered my HTC from a local top 50 dealer, the same one I purchased my C7 when they first came out. I had no problems with the C7 and so far have had no problems with the C8. The cost is MSRP, no additional markup. Think it all comes down to your particular dealer. One thing that does bother me is, if everyone purchases from a top 5 dealer, the others will end up with few allocations in the coming years. Personally, I would rather have more dealers to choose from.
                          Zeus Bronze HTC, 3LT, Natural Dipped, Q8T Spectra Gray Trident Wheels, NPP Performance Exhaust, ZYC Carbon Flash Exterior Mirrors, DRG Carbon Fiber Interior Trim, E60 Adjustable Front Lift, D84 Carbon Flash Convertible Top and Nacelles, and R8C Museum Delivery

Comment

I started a file with Furman two plus years ago...received my car in April... there are two Chevy dealers within 50 miles of me, neither was getting any sizable allocation...living in South Dakota has its limitations but the dealer I purchased my c7 from , about 50 miles away has been more than gracious in servicing the c8... no need to burn bridges and they understand what’s up...and dealing with Mike long distance was no problem..and I did want his crew doing the pdi....
                            3lt SOT...cf racing stripe,front lift.mag ride, z51,cf mirrors & spoiler,bright trident wheels,yellow calipers, yellow stitching black leather ,yellow belts,

Comment

I last bought from MacMulkin, which, 96 miles away, is "semi-local" for me.

I was impressed by:

1. Very knowledgeable sales staff.
                              2. No extra charges, document fees, or attempts to make me add anything I did not want. Honest and transparent.
                              3. Large inventory of cars, so I could see different colors "in the flesh".
                              4. Service staff knows Corvettes. I take the car there for anything more complex than an oil change.
                              5. Lots of allocations.

I have a friend who was shopping for a Corvette in northern NJ in 2018, and getting a lot of frustration. I directed him to MacMulkin. He bought an inventory car at the exact price on the web site. He flew to Manchester NH two days later, arriving at 2 pm. They picked him up at the airport. By 6 pm he was driving his new car home. No last minute surprises or problems. He said it was his best car buying experience ever.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X