MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Official C8 Owners Manual, Build and Price, Visualizer, Pricing, and Ordering Information

See more
See less

C8 Front End Clearance - Do We Need the Front Lift?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PG County Boy View Post
    I have initially checked off the Front Lift with Memory on my configuration, but now I'm questioning that. Do I really need it? What is the height from the bottom of the front lip to the ground? There are very few places I drive here in central Florida where there are steep parking ramps and aprons. I previously owned other cars, such as the C7 Grand Sport, and didn't have a problem with clearance on that, nor a couple of GT-R's, Lotus Evora 400, or Maserati Granturismo. To me I would be more concerned about pulling into parking spaces and hitting the curbstone because it is higher than the bottom of the vehicle. Hopefully the front camera will provide of view of that?
    After looking at the huge difference in the front overhang forward of the front wheels, it seems the C8 would be MUCH more prone to "dragging chin" not unlike the Italian exotics. This is because the front nose has to travel considerably further over any elevation rise BEFORE the front tires contact the rise and begin to lift the nose. I figure there is a very good reason that GM made the Front Lift an option. I honestly don't see relevance in comparing driving experience in the C7 to the C8 in this regard. Am I wrong?

Note in this image (from this site) comparing the C7 to C8, the C7 has reportedly been lowered from stock, but the difference in nose overhang can clearly be seen.
    Attached Files
    G9F Ceramic Matrix Grey Metallic; 2LT; Adrenaline Red interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 Front Lift; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; Black Rocker Panel Extensions

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post
      Circumstances can change. When our ordered was submitted/accepted last September, we included E60. Months later we decided to move (after 31 years) and our new location requires E60 every time getting into and out of our driveway (no room to 45 degree it, and it has a steep, rolled gutter curb (so much so that we might need to remove our splitter from out WRX daily driver with its greater ground clearance).

Many will never need it. We however are so glad we Included E60.
      a friend of twenty years who has a viper just moved into a development with those rolled gutter curbs. Ive never seen anything like it and while visiting i was like what the hell just happened as I pulled into his driveway. Your ordering of the E60 was a smart move for sure.

i asked him about his 2005 viper in his garage and he said he had no problem what so ever...

that situation with those rolled gutters are brutal...(what crazy person designed that rolled gutter?) its a cuv world..

you surely made the right choice.

john...are you sure the front end cant be lowered or were those guys in bowling green just pulling your leg?

i think the adjustment should be on the bottom of the coil not the top...

when you get your c8 have your tech take another look and let us know.

One more thing should be travelling along and all of a sideen see a new speed table..DONT SLM ON THE BRAKES.....that literally is the worst thing you can do.as the nose dives and weight transfers forward...

that was a $1100 speed table...

sometimes sh t happens....now that I know they are there I just go five mph over them..l

Last edited by JB; 02-08-2020, 03:51 PM.
      Torch Red exterior/ black interior z51 FE4 1LT

Comment

I have looked at the E60’s lift mechanism closely with folks smarter than me and we could not find no way that with E60 that you could rotate the spring perches to reduce front end height. But two non GM options remain:

My interim-measure of a custom-shaped steel plate to fit the frunk floor (once at the PDI we compute what thickness amount would result in the front end being lowered the right amount and looking good — after the rear spring perches have been rotated to give us the right rear height stance); and a more permanent solution of shorter A/M shocks/springs once they are available.
        GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards. Separately getting from my dealer RCC Edge Red engine cover, 5JR vis CF mirror caps, and VJR illuminated sill plates.

Lifetime, annual contributors, and 20+ year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

I have the rolled gutter curbs at my house and a medium steep driveway. I ordered E60 and also plan to use the following "curb bridge" to help save the front end.

https://www.griotsgarage.com/product...ks&from=Search

I used Griots as an example they are available a number of places.

Comment

Thanks DaveM for your sharing a great option including the URL too. As noted in the details on their web site “check with your HOA” for their being allowed.
            GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards. Separately getting from my dealer RCC Edge Red engine cover, 5JR vis CF mirror caps, and VJR illuminated sill plates.

Lifetime, annual contributors, and 20+ year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

My interim-measure of a custom-shaped steel plate to fit the frunk floor (once at the PDI we compute what thickness amount would result in the front end being lowered the right amount and looking good — after the rear spring perches have been rotated to give us the right rear height stance); and a more permanent solution of shorter A/M shocks/springs once they are available. [/QUOTE]

I would have two concerns with a steel plate.

1. In the unlikely event of an accident involving a roll-over do you really want this flying thru the air? Unless it's bolted in, and I'm not sure you are willing to drill thru your new C8.

2. What effect will the weight (probably substantial) on the front have on handling?

Comment

Originally posted by V1 VR View Post
                Never had a clearance issue with my C7 so no lift on my C8.
                Ditto for us. However, our 60th 427 had a very low carbon splitter that was a problem, so my guess is that if you're getting the front splitter that option would be nice, otherwise no need.
                Recently sold:
                Shark Grey '15 Z51 Coupe : White / Blue Diamond '13 427 60th roadster ( really miss the 'stripe delete' 427 )

Status 3000 - 7th Corvette... Zeus Bronze Coupe, 2LT, GT2 seats, Natural two tone, Body color accents, Pewter wheels

Comment

well...I appreciate the insights...
                  Torch Red exterior/ black interior z51 FE4 1LT

Comment

I’m getting it. I just hope I can remember to use it!
                    Gonna feel pretty stupid if I scrape or do damage that could have been avoided if I had lifted but didn’t......
                    Black over Sky Cool Gray.....2LT.....Z51.....FE4.....E60.....

Comment

I wasn't going to get the front lift at first, as I wanted the ride height adjustability in the front, but if I lowered the car, I'd probably scrape all over the place. So the last 7 years of dealing with a low front lip and lowered car, I'm going to leave the C8 at stock height, and get the front lift. I do, however, plan on getting a more aggressive aftermarket front lip/spoiler once they're out, and ditch the Z51 spoiler, so the front lift will probably come in handy.
                      Last edited by shiumai; 02-08-2020, 08:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by John
                        My interim-measure of a custom-shaped steel plate to fit the frunk floor (once at the PDI we compute what thickness amount would result in the front end being lowered the right amount and looking good — after the rear spring perches have been rotated to give us the right rear height stance); and a more permanent solution of shorter A/M shocks/springs once they are available.

Originally posted by JustOneMore View Post
                        I would have two concerns with a steel plate.

1. In the unlikely event of an accident involving a roll-over do you really want this flying thru the air? Unless it's bolted in, and I'm not sure you are willing to drill thru your new C8.

2. What effect will the weight (probably substantial) on the front have on handling?
                        Good considerations. IF the car has its alleged understeer, adding around 60-75 pounds in the very bottom of the frunk would be a handling help (a 1” thick plate); again IF there is alleged understeer. Watching moderate weight folks at the NCM 25th get into the car and they caused the front to drop roughly an 1”.

We truly need to see the production height of a Z51 with E60 as it comes from the factory. Will there be front and/or wheel gap that IMO or others feel is too much. Might it only take my 20# detail bag to make it perfect? Perhaps one or two twenty pounds bags of bird food and my detail bag??? We need to learn more, which I will before I adjust anything on my car. Perhaps when I see it at the PDI, it would be perfect as is.

Comment

This option solely will depend on how well the GPS system is.
                          If normal commercial spec could be 10% off rather then GPS allowed for military

Lots of learning curve as how dependable it will be or not and even few inches off could make it useless when it is one of the saved locations

I found it interesting that Chevy on purpose set the test C8s to stand higher for ground clearance to get off/on trailers and into dealer lots.

Lots of questions like if setting a location going one direction, will it also work correctly if then going the other road direction
                          and if there is any GUI ( user interface) to delete or erase some or all saved setting.

Other then that low light, weather and traffic can hide the high points and too late to see for whatever the reaction time is for
                          system to raise and then lower

Still myself cannot see adding this when in return for Z51s cannot corner height/weight the C8 causing less ability setup car for best cornering ability

What happens if this does not work that well and 2 years later this E60 option is dropped and now finding replacement parts becomes tough to get ?
                          Corvettes owned, wrenched on and raced since 1975:
                          1974,75,77,84,87,89,91,93,94 ZR-1 & 1999 Mallett 435

Comment

I've never second guessed my decision to add E60. Lots of local business with really bad clearance. A buddy with a lowered subaru wishes he had a lift the first time he visited my driveway:
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	curb.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	1.82 MB
ID:	110978
                            Attached Files

Comment

I scraped every time I was leaving my driveway with my 2018 GS. I had to crawl out slowly .
                              Lift for me for sure!

Comment

The Federal Government sets the ride height standard to which all manufacturers must comply. If you are careless enough to hit anything what makes you think you will turn on the height device when needed?

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X