MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Official C8 Owners Manual, Build and Price, Visualizer, Pricing, and Ordering Information

See more
See less

5VM Removed From Some Orders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5VM Removed From Some Orders

5VM (Visible Carbon Fiber Splitter and Vis CF Extended Skirts) removed from orders.

We thank SilverC8 and rickg747 for surfacing this info below. Let me provide some info/content and most importantly reassurance that no orders will be held up.

Click image for larger version  Name:	2AEA7432-F22F-4B14-A11D-A42A9A6E2E84.jpeg Views:	184 Size:	347.2 KB ID:	106340
    GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards. Separately getting from my dealer RCC Edge Red engine cover, 5JR vis CF mirror caps, and VJR illuminated sill plates.

Lifetime, annual contributors, and 20+ year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

The process of building a Corvette with its 5000 parts supplied by 175 suppliers is a complex and difficult one, especially so for visible carbon fiber parts. GM has rigorous inspection of every visible carbon fiber part received from its suppliers and if there is the slightest waviness in its exterior-most layer of the fiber, it looks like “shep” and that part is rejected. Additionally if that top layer has a small visible air bubble, even though it would not make a 0.0001% structural difference, that part would be rejected.

However we are still learning whether this is a quality or a quality issue.

GM had two options, either hold up that car’s build for an unknown time until the suppliers’ parts became in full compliance with every visual and structural spec, OR to pull that LPO accessory part — which easily can be later added at a dealership and thus not hold up a single C8 order which had been accepted which had 5VM.

GM choose to pull that part from the order at this time, and to keep everyone’s C8 moving toward delivery the soonest possible.

Clearly GM wishes this issue had not arisen, but made IMO they made the right choice, e.g., to pull 5VM from an order knowing it can be added with either rivets or push-clips easily at the dealership or in your garage later — instead of holding up some customer’s C8.

GM does not know at this time when 5VM will be again available.
    GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards. Separately getting from my dealer RCC Edge Red engine cover, 5JR vis CF mirror caps, and VJR illuminated sill plates.

Lifetime, annual contributors, and 20+ year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

Ahh,

Well, Maybe the Carbon Flash will still make the grade. Depending on the part that states "has not met GM’s inspection standards. Perhaps additionally or separately the angle of the end of part fin, its curvature or whatever was not consistent with spec." may hold the Carbon Flash at bay too.

I've not seen any of the CTF or display models running around with them either. It would be nice to have them prior to having the PPF installed no matter the delay.
      Rapid Blue 3LT, HTO Tension Blue, Z51, 5ZZ, E60, ZZ3, ZYC, FE4, J6N, FA5, Q8Q, SHW, VJR, C2Q, R8C

Comment

According to my PPF person during the C7 era, they removed the extended splitters and rocker skirts and when removed wrapped them separately, then wrapped the aperature panel part below the doors, then re-installed the wrapped rocker skirts and the splitter — and for any C8’s which have extensions other than the standard ones, they were planning on doing the same (“so we can do the very best job of wrapping those complicated detachable parts and the car too”).

I believe the carbon flash ones will make the grade for it is the visible CF that is the problem. In the C7 Z06 era as we know, they offered both and when they got tons of the carbon fiber parts which had even a tiny visual blem, they then had them painted over with the carbon flash black metallic paint . My C7 Z06 had exactly such parts, e.g., painted over visible CF splitter and rocker skirts.

Comment

Now things get really interesting. What goes on in place of 5VM? Do I still pay for it as part of my order and wait for them to deliver later? Does the car look ridiculous with a giant wing and no skirts? Will the carbon flash become available in it’s place? If so, can I switch? I’m signed up for museum delivery, can I have them hold off adding the high wing and I’ll put it on myself later when the rest of the parts are available?

So many questions...

Huge opportunity here for the aftermarket. Again, fingers crossed!

Lets have a moment of silence for all that wasted carbon fiber now sitting in a scrap heap.
          Last edited by SilverC8; 01-25-2020, 01:15 PM.

Comment

If your car is not shipped with 5VM, my belief is that your invoice would be $4,850 less. As to its looking ridiculous with a wing and no skirts (your description), GM was happy to sell and some customers have ordered a 1LT standard model (not Z51) with the OEM high wing.

We have not heard from GM as to whether one could at this time get another aero option in place of the 5VM’s removal. Hopefully we learn that this coming week.

There will also be aftermarket options.

Sorry, but better IMO than GM holding up your car entirely or sending you a set of visible splitter/extended rockers that are blemished.

Comment

Originally posted by SilverC8 View Post
              Now things get really interesting. What goes on in place of 5VM? Do I still pay for it as part of my order and wait for them to deliver later? Does the car look ridiculous with a giant wing and no skirts? Will the carbon flash become available in it’s place? If so, can I switch? I’m signed up for museum delivery, can I have them hold off adding the high wing and I’ll put it on myself later when the rest of the parts are available?

So many questions...

Huge opportunity here for the aftermarket. Again, fingers crossed!

Lets have a moment of silence for all that wasted carbon fiber now sitting in a scrap heap.
              I personally think it looks fine with the high wing and no skirts. This is the configuration for the C8R and it looks great.

Comment

Thanks John for the update.

It's good GM is not holding up orders or selling inferior accessories that don't meet standards but the timing is bad. Unlike the carbon flash ground effects, 5VM was listed as available from day one, and now they pull it. I am at 3000 and can't change my order and I'm sure many others are in the same situation. I ordered Arctic White specifically because of how good it looked with carbon fiber ground effects. I also ordered the carbon fiber mirrors and grille inserts to match the ground effects. The CF mirrors will kind of stick out like a sore thumb without ground effects to match and the inserts won't have any impact either.

If the ground effects don't become available I guess I will have to look into after market carbon fiber ground effects.

Comment

I understand and am sorry to hear that about your car. Check out ACS composites for their stuff is OEM quality. I had some of their parts on my C7 Z06 (as did several friends), and we were all extremely pleased with them. Shortly sending you a PM.

Comment

I will certainly check out ASC.

Comment

I will be checking out ACS Composite. Their items for the C7 were super.

Comment

Ok What about the Visible Carbon Fiber Grill Inserts? If I cannot get the 5VM then I wouldn't want the Grill Inserts either as was hoping it would all match. Will we be able to delete this from the order? AND- I would also not want the Carbon Fiber Top- These things are going to present a BIG problem. Carbon Fiber Grill Insert-$2095.00 Carbon Fiber Roof Panel- $2495.00 and Carbon Fiber Ground Effects $4850.00 Problem--$9440.00
                        Rocket City Florida

Comment

Good questions. As the www.GMfleetorderguide.com is now down, and been down for three hours, we do not know. Usually when it is down like this, it means changes are being made.

I understand your and others perspectives and issues for sure, but roughly 1/4 of C7 orders had a visible carbon fiber roof without any other visible carbon fiber and those folks were happy campers. In fact Tadge’s father was one who choose the visible carbon fiber roof on his Stingray without any other carbon fiber (other than the interior dash).

To have the visible carbon fiber front grill insert alone, I can understand your question about “lack of matching.”

Comment

I wanted to order the 5W8 Carbon Flash ground effects but could not and have inquired with the Corvette Concierge when they would be available at dealers. This is the latest they sent me yesterday:

"The Carbon Flash Ground Effects will be available for sale over the counter after the start of retail production. Availability as is still being determined at this time. We will be sure to reach back out whenever we receive more information."

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post
                              If your car is not shipped with 5VM, your invoice would be $4,850 less. As to its looking ridiculous with a wing and no skirts (your description), GM was happy to sell and some customers have ordered a 1LT standard model (not Z51) with the OEM high wing.

We have not heard from GM as to whether one could at this time get another aero option in place of the 5VM’s removal. Hopefully we learn that this coming week.

There will also be aftermarket options.

Sorry, but better IMO than GM holding up your car entirely or sending you a set of visible splitter/extended rockers that are blemished.
                              How bad could they be? I almost wouldn't mind signing a waiver and taking a bad set to use a sacrificial aero kit while I wait for the nice ones. Not sure what they’d charge for ‘em but if the price were right, why not? Let’s be honest, they’re gonna get hammered down there anyway. As long as they fit right....

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X