Too many pop up adds in threads?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Frenzy36 View Post
    We all appreciate this Forum for all the Hard Work and attention to detail. Thank all of you who are involved for this fantastic site which will grow and live on for many years to come. For all of those who really love this great forum, please find a place in your heart to consider a small donation to help with the bandwidth and other operating expenses so it may grow without being overrun with pop ups and billboards everywhere. I actually left a car forum because it became really slow and there were pop-ups everywhere. It became aggravating . There is a link on the home page where you may make a contribution. Such as the link below.

Welcome to the Mid Engine Corvette Forum! Register today!

Become a MECF Patron and Donate to the Website via PayPal: This is on the Home Page
    I clicked on the Paypal link but it wasn't clear if that was going to be a one time donation, recurring, or what.

Comment

Originally posted by VicH View Post

I clicked on the Paypal link but it wasn't clear if that was going to be a one time donation, recurring, or what.
      If you click on the link on the home page you can put in any donation amount you feel comfortable with and it will only be a one time donation.
      Rocket City Florida

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post
        Regarding our new ads, we are trying to balance our costs and our income. We keep having to increase our bandwidth to meet an ever greater numbers of members and guests; nicely, members are now staying on the site longer than before. We had 55,000+ distinct visitors last month alone, a major increase. Just yesterday at one point, we had over 750 members and guests on our forum. That is a great “problem,” actually one we totally welcome. At the same time as you know, having more bandwidth costs us more.

If you chose to use an ad blocker, you will not see them. AdBlock Plus is one many use.

Ads are one way we promote our vendors; it is one major way we thank and recognize our Forum Featured Vendors for the the advertising dollars they spend to support us, again so we can provide unlimited bandwidth to members and our guests and to help them sell their products and services.

Unlike almost all forums which are owned by literally mega million or truly mega billion media-giant corporations, MECF is owned just by two of us, both middle class folks who started this to be a friendly and informative Corvette place. To be totally candid, we have yet to receive a penny in revenues, still out hundreds of our start up money. But we love what we do, and will continue to do so. As folks who have been here a while know, ten hours days for me on the forum are typical. The bandwidth demands of providing all members the ability to post up to 20 large pixel pictures in one post, to spend as much time here viewing videos as you want and when you want, for all to post as many new threads as you want, are considerable.

However, without bandwidth for all, and without it being available 100% of the time, this forum would stop growing and would properly die.

Thanks for your understanding.

John
        I still say it's time for a higher tiered subscription level similar to that on the other forum.
        2017 Arctic White Z06 2LZ Convertible. Corvette Museum Life Member . Red White and Booze ........ TX, It's A Whole 'Nother Country !

Comment

How much to become a patron? Doesnt say when you click on the PayPal button

Comment

Originally posted by AZ Desert Dog View Post
            How much to become a patron? Doesnt say when you click on the PayPal button
            You put the amount you want to donate in the box. After reading John's comments and understanding how much it costs to keep this forum up for everyone to view I just sent in a $50 donation. I think all of the MECF members who can should make some kind of contribution to help them defer the huge bandwidth cost.

Comment

An option for a monthly donation would be great.

Comment

Thanks 455SDguy,
                after lurking around the site for the last few months and gleaning what I could as I get ready to order my first corvette from @mikefurman later this summer I had no problem making a donation just now. Figured it was the least I could do for the valuable information I’ve been able to get from so many of you. Can’t wait to start seeing you get ur cars in the coming months to even help me make better and more informed choices on mine later in 2020. Appreciate the time and information everyone shares here.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies and feedback. I'm glad it's not my computer thats the problem. I don't have any issue with supporting vendors having ads but some of the stuff I see has no relationship to cars or Corvettes. I did make a small contribution to help cover costs of running the forum and would not have a problem with an annual fee or one time lifetime membership.
                  1969 Orange L89 Coupe - enjoyed it for 3 years then traded to:
                  1972 Yellow Convert with removable HT - enjoyed it for 4 years and joined by:
                  1976 Orange Coupe - didn't use it much and sold after 12 years
                  2000 Yellow Convertible - new C5 caught my attention and loved it for 15 years
                  2015 Silver Z51 Convertible - replaced C5 with C7 then traded for GS after 2 years
                  2017 Torch Red Grand Sport Convertible - still here and LOVING it

Comment

Originally posted by BMBLBEE View Post
                    Thanks for all the replies and feedback. I'm glad it's not my computer thats the problem. I don't have any issue with supporting vendors having ads but some of the stuff I see has no relationship to cars or Corvettes. I did make a small contribution to help cover costs of running the forum and would not have a problem with an annual fee or one time lifetime membership.
                    That's how online advertising works these days. Sometimes you get ads related to the site but most often it's ad retargeting. You're served ads based on other sites you've visited, Facebook items you've clicked on, Google searches, etc. It's out of the hands of website publishers, they come from the ad networks.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X