Too many pop up adds in threads?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Too many pop up adds in threads?

I recently noticed that there are pop up ads and almost every thread I try to look at. I tried to eliminate then by going to the ad choices site but it's not working making this forum very difficult to use without getting what seems like spam ads from many sources. Do other have the same problem or is it just me and my computer. None of the other Corvette forums I frequent have this problem. Please help me keep visiting by explaining how to get rid of these ads.
    Thanks
    Bob
    1969 Orange L89 Coupe - enjoyed it for 3 years then traded to:
    1972 Yellow Convert with removable HT - enjoyed it for 4 years and joined by:
    1976 Orange Coupe - didn't use it much and sold after 12 years
    2000 Yellow Convertible - new C5 caught my attention and loved it for 15 years
    2015 Silver Z51 Convertible - replaced C5 with C7 then traded for GS after 2 years
    2017 Torch Red Grand Sport Convertible - still here and LOVING it

Well that is the way the bills are paid bottom line.

Comment

Yes. I'm counting at least eight ads per screen. It's distracting and annoying, particularly on a mobile device.

Comment

I use AdBlock. Keeps them out. I figure I make up for it by my yearly monetary donation to the forum. Wonder if there was a fee service category for the forum with no adds, folks would sign up for it. After all, use of the forum as it is FREE!
        Last edited by Boomer; 11-01-2019, 09:52 AM.

Comment

Yep. Adds and more adds. But unless we all members pay a fee, then . . .

But I appreciate that, so far, the adds do not superimpose themselves directly on top of the stuff I'm trying to read. At least not on my computer. If the adds stay-in-their-lanes then its hop-scotch, and not scrimmage. Maybe I can do hop-scotch, just watch where I land.

On some websites I have to stick my hand into the computer and pluck the adds out of the way. So it going to be finding a livable balance.
          Last edited by SheepDog; 11-01-2019, 10:28 AM.

Comment

Regarding our new ads, we are trying to balance our costs and our income. We keep having to increase our bandwidth to meet an ever greater numbers of members and guests; nicely, members are now staying on the site longer than before. We had 55,000+ distinct visitors last month alone, a major increase. Just yesterday at one point, we had over 750 members and guests on our forum. That is a great “problem,” actually one we totally welcome. At the same time as you know, having more bandwidth costs us more.

If you chose to use an ad blocker, you will not see them. AdBlock Plus is one many use.

Ads are one way we promote our vendors; it is one major way we thank and recognize our Forum Featured Vendors for the the advertising dollars they spend to support us, again so we can provide unlimited bandwidth to members and our guests and to help them sell their products and services.

Unlike almost all forums which are owned by literally mega million or truly mega billion media-giant corporations, MECF is owned just by two of us, both middle class folks who started this to be a friendly and informative Corvette place. To be totally candid, we have yet to receive a penny in revenues, still out hundreds of our start up money. But we love what we do, and will continue to do so. As folks who have been here a while know, ten hours days for me on the forum are typical. The bandwidth demands of providing all members the ability to post up to 20 large pixel pictures in one post, to spend as much time here viewing videos as you want and when you want, for all to post as many new threads as you want, are considerable.

However, without bandwidth for all, and without it being available 100% of the time, this forum would stop growing and would properly die.

Thanks for your understanding.

John
            GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5ZZ high wing; 5VM vis CF ground effects pkg; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards. Separately getting from my dealer RCC Edge Red engine cover and 5JR vis CF mirror caps.

Lifetime, annual contributors, and 20+ year members of National Corvette Museum.

Comment

Originally posted by SheepDog View Post
              Yep. Adds and more adds. But unless we all members pay a fee, then . . .
              Wonder how difficult it would be to have a paid service without ads (like 20 bucks a year) and a free service with Ads. User choice.

I personally would feel guilty using an ad blocker without making some sorta monetary contribution to the forum. I suggest all members who use ad blockers become forum patrons.
              Last edited by Boomer; 11-01-2019, 10:39 AM.

Comment

I, for one, feel it's worthwhile to have to deal with the ads because the core forum content is excellent compared to a number of the more popular ones out there. John, keep up the good work!

I would support a modest 'membership' fee that would allow me to bypass the ads.

Comment

Thanks and my partner and I shall consider your suggestion of a modest membership fee, a suggestion that was also made in a PM I received a couple of days ago.
                  GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5ZZ high wing; 5VM vis CF ground effects pkg; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards. Separately getting from my dealer RCC Edge Red engine cover and 5JR vis CF mirror caps.

Lifetime, annual contributors, and 20+ year members of National Corvette Museum.

Comment

Understand that ads pay. Ads do not bother me if they are indeed relevant to corvette/car matters on this site. What bothers me, is the persistent repeat of adds that do not add any value to a car forum. Even after marking them "not interested in this add" or "seen this add many times" the same adds keep showing up. A volunteer modest membership fee may be appropriate.
                    Heidi
                    Save the Wave

Comment

I don't get any ads at all, John! I'm happy with the way it is.

Comment

I don't browse the forum on my phone so I don't know what it looks like there, but on desktop while I understand completely the need to monetize, the in-line banners are a bit much IMHO. Perhaps you guys could consider changing the design slightly to have have ads in a side nav location instead. You could have them "hover" with a 30 second refresh.

Comment

We all appreciate this Forum for all the Hard Work and attention to detail. Thank all of you who are involved for this fantastic site which will grow and live on for many years to come. For all of those who really love this great forum, please find a place in your heart to consider a small donation to help with the bandwidth and other operating expenses so it may grow without being overrun with pop ups and billboards everywhere. I actually left a car forum because it became really slow and there were pop-ups everywhere. It became aggravating . There is a link on the home page where you may make a contribution. Such as the link below.

Welcome to the Mid Engine Corvette Forum! Register today!

Become a MECF Patron and Donate to the Website via PayPal: This is on the Home Page
                          Last edited by Frenzy36; 11-01-2019, 01:26 PM.
                          Rocket City Florida

Comment

Don't forget it's easy enough to become a MECF Patron and make a donation....... Here's a marked up screen shot of the Home Page.

Click image for larger version

Name:	UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_b046.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	245.7 KB
ID:	87123

Comment

Being a patron of any amount would be cool. I did it with a smile awhile back....and I dont really mind the ads either...

we cant be putting the full burden on the two guys building this place up.

i believe once the c8 releases into the public vendors selling items specifically for the c8 will carry a larger portion of tje cost and then maybe some of the floating ads in many of the posts will become less of an issue.

this is the transition period before the c8 delivers and vendors start to share in the cost of the forum.

fwiw..I prefer to help the forum grow and will view and then ignore the ads at times...

being a patron is very inexpensive ...and can range from whatever you feel comfortable with...

if I go to a movie with my wife...it probably would cost $20 or $30 for 2 hours of entertainment...

so worst case scenerio dropping a $20 ofr the year is great bang for the buck amd besides we are all friends here...

if we were jn person which one of you wouldnt drop a fifty to buy a round of drinks...

thats a very nice donation as well...or anything in between.

just food for thought...no pressure either way.
                              Torch Red exterior/ black interior z51 FE4 2LT or 1LT depending on when i get the call..Ill flip a coin at that moment..same for E60

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X