Over The Air updates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Over The Air updates

What can be changed with the OTA update capability? Will it go beyond basic screen and app updates to fine tune braking and other performance related software?

The only honest answer is that we don't know yet. Probably GM will be able to update ECU and TCU (transmission) software, and electronic brake control OTA, within certain limits. Anything that would change the engine or transmission controls enough to effect EPA certifications would be off limits. And any changes made in future model years that require upgraded hardware obviously wouldn't work.
    SunKissed, my 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible (One of about 40)

Purchased 5/2/2015,
    >35,000+ miles

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out http://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

I would also suspect that infotainment upgrades would be OTA upgradeable, e.g., changes to Apple CarPlay, Android Auto.
      GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5ZZ high wing; 5VM vis CF ground effects pkg; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards. Separately getting from my dealer RCC Edge Red engine cover and 5JR vis CF mirror caps.

Lifetime, annual contributors, and 20+ year members of National Corvette Museum.

Comment

The new vehicles already do this for GM. From my 2020 2500 Denali Manual. There is a section on it. Just a snippet. BTW it does it Automatically you cannot control it.

Vehicle Software Updates

OnStar or GM may remotely deliver software updates or changes to the vehicle without further notice or consent. These updates or changes may enhance or maintain safety, security, or the operation of the vehicle or the vehicle systems.

Software updates or changes may affect or erase data or settings that are stored in the vehicle, such as saved navigation destinations or pre-set radio stations. Neither OnStar nor GM is responsible for any affected or erased data or settings. These updates or changes may also collect personal information.

Comment

“Of the benefits mentioned, the “telematics, chassis controls and more” seem the most applicable to the 2020 Corvette. With so many onboard digital systems helping it to perform, the new Vette is ripe for improvements later down the line. As such, over-the-air updates should help put to rest any lingering fears potential early adopters may have with regard to all the new stuff the C8 has to offer.“

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2019/11/...e-air-updates/

Comment

I envision over the air updates will be even used for performance upgrades lime what was done with the c7 mrc system for $350 at your local dealerships.

just imagine GM announces and offers an mrc or ptm update as an aftermarket performance option.

the only difference is you dont have to go to the dealership to have it installed.

i have a feeling and its just a guess if this was done with GM s halo performance vehicle and then presto chango..the performance update is simply done OTA and then reviewed...

GMs technical advancement would receive quite the accolades from the media.

the amount of positive press would be immensely helpful to the entire GM corporate image...

the corvette is a great tool to shed positive light on the entire corporations image.

i believe this scenario is entirely plausible.

I know if I were running the show thats what I would have up my sleeve.
            Torch Red exterior/ black interior z51 FE4 2LT or 1LT depending on when i get the call..Ill flip a coin at that moment..same for E60

Comment

JB, I like your plan!
              GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5ZZ high wing; 5VM vis CF ground effects pkg; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards. Separately getting from my dealer RCC Edge Red engine cover and 5JR vis CF mirror caps.

Lifetime, annual contributors, and 20+ year members of National Corvette Museum.

Comment

Originally posted by Redspeed View Post
                “Of the benefits mentioned, the “telematics, chassis controls and more” seem the most applicable to the 2020 Corvette. With so many onboard digital systems helping it to perform, the new Vette is ripe for improvements later down the line. As such, over-the-air updates should help put to rest any lingering fears potential early adopters may have with regard to all the new stuff the C8 has to offer.“

Thanks Redspeed!

Comment

Is an active OnStar account required to receive these OTAs? Hope not. I have OnStar cancelled when I pick up a new car at the dealer. Don't use it in any of my cars. In Busa Dave's post # 4 it is noted:

"OnStar or GM may remotely deliver software updates or changes to the vehicle without further notice or consent."

Not sure if that means OnStar is or is not necessary to receive the updates.

Comment

Originally posted by JB View Post
                    I envision over the air updates will be even used for performance upgrades lime what was done with the c7 mrc system for $350 at your local dealerships.

just imagine GM announces and offers an mrc or ptm update as an aftermarket performance option.

the only difference is you dont have to go to the dealership to have it installed.

i have a feeling and its just a guess if this was done with GM s halo performance vehicle and then presto chango..the performance update is simply done OTA and then reviewed...

GMs technical advancement would receive quite the accolades from the media.

the amount of positive press would be immensely helpful to the entire GM corporate image...

the corvette is a great tool to shed positive light on the entire corporations image.

i believe this scenario is entirely plausible.

I know if I were running the show thats what I would have up my sleeve.
                    Sorta like “in app purchases” ........🤔
                    2014 Stingray Laguna Blue “Cindyblue”
                    1100 status 😊
                    2020 C8 Stingray; 3LT ; GS7 Elkhart Lake Blue ; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51;FE4 Mag Ride; C2Q dual roof ; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6E yellow Calipers; VQK Splash Guards.

Comment

All auto makers are moving to be viewed as mobility companies as wall street looks upon auto makers as a poor investment while mobility tech companies get a better shake...

these types of OTA update moves wall street loves...
                      Torch Red exterior/ black interior z51 FE4 2LT or 1LT depending on when i get the call..Ill flip a coin at that moment..same for E60

Comment

Here’s the full OTA article; thanks GMA.

Originally posted by gmauthority
                        2020 Corvette Capable Of Over-The-Air UpdatesThe 2020 Corvette C8 is currently the cutting-edge of the iconic sports car nameplate, offering customers the very latest performance technology that GM can muster. Obviously, The General has vested interest in keeping the new mid-engine Corvette at the forefront of technology offerings within this highly competitive segment, and that’s made easier thanks to the C8’s new over-the-air update capability.

For those who may be unaware, the 2020 Corvette runs GM’s latest Global B electrical architecture, which acts as the vehicle’s digital “nervous system.” Global B was first unveiled in the 2020 Cadillac CT5 sedan, and offers a host of benefits over previous electrical architectures, including greater connectivity and data processing power, among others. Global B will be the system of choice for all future GM models going forward, including the 2020 Corvette.

On the connectivity front, Global B offers the convenience of over-the-air updates, or vehicle software updates downloaded via an active Internet connection. This allows customers to enjoy the latest features and system improvements, all without physically bringing their vehicle in for service.

In the General Motors Q2 2019 Earnings Call held earlier this month, GM Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Mary Barra mentioned Global B and the over-the-air update capability.

“We’ve recently revealed a new digital vehicle platform that will fully integrate our electric propulsion systems, cyber security protections, advanced active safety systems and Super Cruise technology. This platform also enables more systems in the vehicle to receive over-the-air updates, including telematics, chassis controls and more,” Barra stated during the call. “This will deliver value and convenience to our customers. Following its debut on the Cadillac CT5 and the 2020 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray, it will expand to most of our global lineup by 2023.”

2020 Corvette infotainment screen

Of the benefits mentioned, the “telematics, chassis controls and more” seem the most applicable to the 2020 Corvette. With so many onboard digital systems helping it to perform, the new Vette is ripe for improvements later down the line. As such, over-the-air updates should help put to rest any lingering fears potential early adopters may have with regard to all the new stuff the C8 has to offer.

We can’t wait to see how Chevrolet integrates this new capability with the 2020 Corvette, so rest assured we’ll follow this story further as it develops. Until then, subscribe to GM Authority for more mid-engine Corvette news, Corvette C8 news, Corvette news, Chevrolet news and 24/7 GM news coverage.

Comment

I had an early build 2014 C7 which was incredible. However it lacked Apple CarPlay/Android Auto, which I believe became available on the 2015s. I’m hoping the OTA will avoid those issues when enhanced capabilities become available with the C8. I recall that after Consumer Reports tested a Tesla Model 3 with long braking distances that Tesla was able to greatly improve braking performance with an OTA antilock algorithm update. Coincidentally, I’ve read several C8 reviews that mentioned the at the limit braking feel was disappointing and that there was no differences between the different driving settings. If not perfected by initial sales I would think changes could be made later. What an amazing time we live in!

Comment

Originally posted by Redspeed View Post
                            I had an early build 2014 C7 which was incredible. However it lacked Apple CarPlay/Android Auto, which I believe became available on the 2015s. I’m hoping the OTA will avoid those issues when enhanced capabilities become available with the C8. I recall that after Consumer Reports tested a Tesla Model 3 with long braking distances that Tesla was able to greatly improve braking performance with an OTA antilock algorithm update. Coincidentally, I’ve read several C8 reviews that mentioned the at the limit braking feel was disappointing and that there was no differences between the different driving settings. If not perfected by initial sales I would think changes could be made later. What an amazing time we live in!
                            They will. There is a App for both Apple product and Android Auto which I use. Standard software load from the app store. My truck is a 2020 and several people I know have 2108 and 2019 that all have it as well. Data plans have to be purchased. I just slave my phone to be used as the "wifi" but it is a lot easier to just pay GM however I have no need for most of the services so I have only the most basic not even Onstar which allows the use of the phone app to lock doors and start the truck etc. Times have changed and some are going to be in for a surprise the way the data plans work. NOTHING is free anymore. Example if you want the weather app got to download it from the app store on your car then have a GM data plan or slave your phone to do it.

Comment

Apple Car Play required new hardware, not just software, so it couldn't be added even by a dealer. In 2016, early cars didn't have Android Auto, but that could be added via a dealer flash because the hardware was designed to accommodate it. We could easily see the same situation down the road, where a new feature is added but can't be applied to older model years because it requires not just a software update, but new hardware, too.
                              SunKissed, my 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible (One of about 40)

Purchased 5/2/2015,
                              >35,000+ miles

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out http://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X