MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Official C8 Owners Manual, Build and Price, Visualizer, Pricing, and Ordering Information

See more
See less

Over The Air updates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mid engined Murph
    replied
    Originally posted by Redspeed View Post
    I had an early build 2014 C7 which was incredible. However it lacked Apple CarPlay/Android Auto, which I believe became available on the 2015s. I’m hoping the OTA will avoid those issues when enhanced capabilities become available with the C8. I recall that after Consumer Reports tested a Tesla Model 3 with long braking distances that Tesla was able to greatly improve braking performance with an OTA antilock algorithm update. Coincidentally, I’ve read several C8 reviews that mentioned the at the limit braking feel was disappointing and that there was no differences between the different driving settings. If not perfected by initial sales I would think changes could be made later. What an amazing time we live in!
    Pretty sure my brake upgrade with be with hardware, with just rotors, lines, and pads (with good fluid) the S4 never experienced ANY brake issues even with a full day to track fun. I guess an electronic update would be just gravy...

Leave a comment:

• meyerweb
    replied
    Just remember: All those electronics are what let us have 500 HP and 30 mpg in the same car. And keep those 500 HP pointed straight ahead.

Leave a comment:

• Busa Dave
    replied
    Originally posted by Frenzy36 View Post

What did the update do? Was there a driving issue or was it only for a simple software update as to something they previously forgot about? You still are going to need technicians to replace worn parts, clutch packs in the trans, brakes and rotors resurfaced, bearings replaced, tie rods, power steering pumps, belts, hoses, and the myriad of sensors and computer boards. All they are doing is complicating the vehicles with technology and then by running an over the air update they want to look like superman. I'm not impressed. Just more ways to drain your wallet. Might RF interference possibly demise these systems over time? It's Scary what may happen to the all electric vehicles over time. The kids have already figured out they can completely disable a Tesla with a stun gun they bought at the flea market for 20 bucks. I'm sorry but technology can only go so far before it becomes a complete mess. Just ask Cadillac about the CUE System. I have had over 9 systems replaced in 2 vehicles. I can only imagine how many had been to the dealer and how much time and money was spent on that mess. I am hoping the new Stingray with all of the tech doesn't turn out to be similar. At least if the system does crash or freeze up , hopefully it will not completely disable the vehicle and you will still be able to drive it. I have had a newer Mercedes which makes the vehicle go into limp mode and you can only drive it 3 miles per hour(Even though the company says 5) Whatever. Anyway my point is with all of these systems in place if some sensor goes bad it can fault and make the vehicle completely useless even though it doesn't have anything to do with driveability.
    Well unfortunately technology has changed and s you well know "time waits for no man" as they say. I do not understand the point you are attempting to make about actual repair work requiring the replacement of parts etc. this will not change. The software updates are just that and there is no explanation given as to what they do. When you buy a new GM it addresses this in the manual with some of the software pushes the driver will not even be aware of. You agree to these terms when you buy the car so you need to read the terms and conditions if you have a problem with it.

What this allows the manufacture to do is to design more robust systems so that revisions and changes can be supplied to the vehicle without an expensive trip to the dealer requiring "touch labor" . Some people as you may remember were not impressed with radial tires and direct fuel injection for gasoline vehicles. Technology changes and the automotive world will deploy it if for no other reason to be competitive with others not to mention making more reliable vehicles and the use of "systems and components" that can be adjusted by a simple software push across the fleet.

If my vehicle can have a simple software update to manage an onboard system associated with let's say for example the ECM or the TCM I am all for it. WHY??-----easy, the ability to deploy a software remedy going out online immediately is much better for my vehicles than waiting for a letter in the mail or maybe not even that because the deployment of a software update over the air is orders of magnitude more cost effective for the manufacturer not to mention the owner of the vehicle who may ignore of not be aware of the issue. This means that GM will do this because it does not cost as much Money to deploy it. It is all about the dollars as you know.

Bottom line this technology is the way of the future because EV's and other variants are the way of the future for the industry so the old school conventional thinking is already been rendered obsolete. Tesla proved this years ago. You can go kicking or screaming but the you will in the end, go.

One thing is for certain the C8 is going to have technology that is not even available on other vehicles at least for this year. I for one am looking very much forward to the latest technology that has been incorporated into this car even if I have to wait a couple of years for the variant I want to be developed.

Leave a comment:

• Frenzy36
    replied
    Originally posted by Busa Dave View Post
    Wanted to updte this. My 2020 Denali 2500 did a on air updated today for the first time. Got a message on my screen that one was available and if I wanted to install? Deferred till I got home and my truck linked to my wifi. Requires the vehicle to be turned off (you can get out and leave it) and it is completely disabled during the process. Update estimate in the message was 13 minutes and it was pretty close.

The way of the future for GM.
    What did the update do? Was there a driving issue or was it only for a simple software update as to something they previously forgot about? You still are going to need technicians to replace worn parts, clutch packs in the trans, brakes and rotors resurfaced, bearings replaced, tie rods, power steering pumps, belts, hoses, and the myriad of sensors and computer boards. All they are doing is complicating the vehicles with technology and then by running an over the air update they want to look like superman. I'm not impressed. Just more ways to drain your wallet. Might RF interference possibly demise these systems over time? It's Scary what may happen to the all electric vehicles over time. The kids have already figured out they can completely disable a Tesla with a stun gun they bought at the flea market for 20 bucks. I'm sorry but technology can only go so far before it becomes a complete mess. Just ask Cadillac about the CUE System. I have had over 9 systems replaced in 2 vehicles. I can only imagine how many had been to the dealer and how much time and money was spent on that mess. I am hoping the new Stingray with all of the tech doesn't turn out to be similar. At least if the system does crash or freeze up , hopefully it will not completely disable the vehicle and you will still be able to drive it. I have had a newer Mercedes which makes the vehicle go into limp mode and you can only drive it 3 miles per hour(Even though the company says 5) Whatever. Anyway my point is with all of these systems in place if some sensor goes bad it can fault and make the vehicle completely useless even though it doesn't have anything to do with driveability.

Leave a comment:

• Murray20c8
    replied
    Our 2014 Malibu's radio loses the time every few days. There IS a setting for automatically setting the time, but guess what! No it isn't via Bluetooth from your phone! Oh No! Of course not! It's only via NonStar! C'mon! How hard is it to update a radio via the internets! ALL my connected devices do! <sigh>

Leave a comment:

• Ragtop 99
    replied
    Originally posted by Redspeed View Post
    I had an early build 2014 C7 which was incredible. However it lacked Apple CarPlay/Android Auto, which I believe became available on the 2015s. I’m hoping the OTA will avoid those issues when enhanced capabilities become available with the C8.
    Cadillac touted how they would have apps and updates for CUE. Never happened. They didn't do much to improve it and when they did, GM never rolled out a new feature and gave it to the prior models. Left a bad taste in the mouth of first year ATS buyers. Here's hoping Chevy doesn't repeat that.

Ultimately they updated the hardware and then added Carplay / Android auto. Even if you were willing to buy the new hardware, GM wasn't allowing dealers to flash the software to allow consumers to upgrade their vehicles.

Leave a comment:

• Busa Dave
    replied
    Wanted to updte this. My 2020 Denali 2500 did a on air updated today for the first time. Got a message on my screen that one was available and if I wanted to install? Deferred till I got home and my truck linked to my wifi. Requires the vehicle to be turned off (you can get out and leave it) and it is completely disabled during the process. Update estimate in the message was 13 minutes and it was pretty close.

The way of the future for GM.

Leave a comment:

• JB
    replied
    The corvette is GMs halo vehicle. I fully expect either dct or mrc ptm there will be a very dramatic public over the air update improve,ent in the first year to priject GM technical superiority.

Leave a comment:

• brainf18
    replied
    Understand all of the OTA and OnStar connectivity and interoperability is still not clearly defined or well understood. I hope we find out more soon.

I for one do not want OnStar at all.... But I do want the ability to receive OTA updates only after I've allowed the car to connect to WiFi. Big brother, GM, the insurance company, the police or anyone else with a computer has no business assessing my car's data. Admittedly because I don't want them to see it (for obvious reasons)

Leave a comment:

• Busa Dave
    replied
    Originally posted by Racer86 View Post
    When we bought our 2013 Chrysler 300 with the ZF 8 speed, the transmission had a rough cold morning shift between 1st and 2nd gear. Chrysler did a software update on it, and that cured the problem.
    I hope that GM OTA will have the ability to do the same thing if the DCT needs new software updates to refine its operation. Plus NO trip to the dealer. That is a win win for me.
    Yes this is the way the entire industry is headed. It makes sense from a cost standpoint not just because there will be no dealer touch labor involved BUT to remedy issues before they cause other more serious mechanical or electrical problems and is transparent to the consumer if done properly. Technology is a good thing for most of us.

Leave a comment:

• Racer86
    replied
    When we bought our 2013 Chrysler 300 with the ZF 8 speed, the transmission had a rough cold morning shift between 1st and 2nd gear. Chrysler did a software update on it, and that cured the problem.
    I hope that GM OTA will have the ability to do the same thing if the DCT needs new software updates to refine its operation. Plus NO trip to the dealer. That is a win win for me.
    Last edited by Racer86; 11-09-2019, 01:00 PM. Reason: educated in American schools,,,,,,,,Spelling

Leave a comment:

• Busa Dave
    replied
    Originally posted by Racer86 View Post
    I am all in for OTA updates. it avoids the trip to dealer and the 150 mysterious miles added to the car while its at the dealer, plus also avoids the free car wash by the 19 year old kid with the dirty wash water bucket. Can you guess, that I don't like car dealers service depts.
    My thoughts as well. My car is and has been finished with updates for several years due to my tuning for my engine mods. The new C8 I will be getting when they hit the ground in a couple of years will stay stock. Times have changed a lot in the last 5 years. If they (EPA) crack down on gas vehicles like they have on the diesels the last few months the tuning industry will cease to exist.

Leave a comment:

• Racer86
    replied
    I am all in for OTA updates. it avoids the trip to dealer and the 150 mysterious miles added to the car while its at the dealer, plus also avoids the free car wash by the 19 year old kid with the dirty wash water bucket. Can you guess, that I don't like car dealers service depts.

Leave a comment:

• meyerweb
    replied
    Originally posted by LightningBolt View Post
    Is there an option to “accept” the OTA? Suppose I like the way things are?
    We don't know yet.

Leave a comment:

• LightningBolt
    replied
    Thanks Busa Dave!

Leave a comment:

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
Working...
X