Over The Air updates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by meyerweb View Post
    Apple Car Play required new hardware, not just software, so it couldn't be added even by a dealer. In 2016, early cars didn't have Android Auto, but that could be added via a dealer flash because the hardware was designed to accommodate it. We could easily see the same situation down the road, where a new feature is added but can't be applied to older model years because it requires not just a software update, but new hardware, too.
    Times have changed orders of magnitude. There is an app store you access through the vehicle. Everything is done this way now just like your cell phone. GM has made good progress in this area. For the teckies they will LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!

The only constant is "change"......

Comment

A new artical on gm authority explains a little about what they can update , its short but somewhat informative.
      Last edited by Lance's tops; 11-06-2019, 04:00 PM.

Comment

No OnStar > No Internet Connection > No Updates.
        So, for those who cancel OnStar, how to get updates? Dealership visit?

Comment

Originally posted by Ralston View Post
          No OnStar > No Internet Connection > No Updates.
          So, for those who cancel OnStar, how to get updates? Dealership visit?
          This was my question in post #5. Will OnStar be required to get the OTAs? I'm hoping updates can be done at the dealer when I visit for an oil change or whatever without "joining" OnStar. I'm thinking there probably won't be many such updates. I suppose if I have to sign up for OnStar I will but I've never had a need for it.
          Last edited by Boomer; 11-06-2019, 03:40 PM.

Comment

I have had downloads of nav instructions sent to me on the 2018 infotainment system so I presume the infrastructure is in place for other downloads to happen. Charlie aka cutnout

Comment

OnStar isn't the communication capability. OnStar uses the built-in 4G cellular connection in the car if you choose to subscribe. On the C7 the 4G cellular connection exists even if you don't pay OnStar. And pretty sure on the C7 you can use the WiFi capability even if you don't pay for OnStar - it's a separate service offered by AT&T for a monthly fee. Both OnStar and WiFi use the car's 4G connection. I don't subscribe to OnStar, but can still use that connection to unlock my car, and to get monthly reports on system status.

GM could easily design the system to make use of the cellular capability for OTA updates whether you subscribe to OnStar or AT&T or not. They might have to pay AT&T for that, or AT&T might provide that capability free because they know they'll get a ton of subscription revenue from GM owners who do choose to use it.
              SunKissed, my 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible (One of about 40)

Purchased 5/2/2015,
              >35,000+ miles

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out http://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

The only honest answer is that we don't know yet. Probably GM will be able to update ECU and TCU (transmission) software, and electronic brake control OTA, within certain limits. Anything that would change the engine or transmission controls enough to effect EPA certifications would be off limits. And any changes made in future model years that require upgraded hardware obviously wouldn't work.
                How long before ALL of your driving history (speed, braking...EVERYTHING) info is automatically sent to your insurer...the police...etc.​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by xzotklr View Post

How long before ALL of your driving history (speed, braking...EVERYTHING) info is automatically sent to your insurer...the police...etc.​​​​​​
                  Insurance companies probably never.

Law enforcement has automatic plate readers. They already know where your regularly drive.

Comment

Originally posted by xzotklr View Post

Insurance companies now, if you opt in. They all offer dongles that plug into the ODB port and provide you with discounts IF you drive what they consider "safely." Police? Not transmitted, but if you're in a serious accident they're probably going to read the stored data from your ODB port without even asking permission. There's a 4th amendment case waiting to happen there, if it's not already happened.
                    SunKissed, my 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible (One of about 40)

Purchased 5/2/2015,
                    >35,000+ miles

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out http://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org

Comment

OnStar isn't the communication capability. OnStar uses the built-in 4G cellular connection in the car if you choose to subscribe. On the C7 the 4G cellular connection exists even if you don't pay OnStar. And pretty sure on the C7 you can use the WiFi capability even if you don't pay for OnStar - it's a separate service offered by AT&T for a monthly fee. Both OnStar and WiFi use the car's 4G connection. I don't subscribe to OnStar, but can still use that connection to unlock my car, and to get monthly reports on system status.

GM could easily design the system to make use of the cellular capability for OTA updates whether you subscribe to OnStar or AT&T or not. They might have to pay AT&T for that, or AT&T might provide that capability free because they know they'll get a ton of subscription revenue from GM owners who do choose to use it.

You can use wifi on all 2020 (do not know about earlier ones) GM vehicles equipped with the right level of infotainment system and it does not require any separate agreement. I have my phone set to slave to be the wifi connection in my 2020 Denali. It is Android.

Comment

Is there an option to “accept” the OTA? Suppose I like the way things are?
                        2LT GKZ in Torch Red
                        5ZZ High Wing Spoiler - Carbon Flash Metallic
                        AH2 GT2 Seats
                        E60 Front Lift Adjustable Height with Memory
                        FE4 Magnetic Ride Suspension
                        HUK Sky Cool Gray Seats
                        J6F Red Calipers
                        NPP Performance Exhaust (Incl w/Z51)
                        SC7 Roof Panel Storage Bag in Black w/Crossed Flags logo
                        Z51 Z51 Performance pkg
                        ZYC Carbon Flash Metallic painted outside mirrors

Comment

Originally posted by LightningBolt View Post
                          From my 2020 2500 Denali.

"Vehicle Software Updates

OnStar or GM may remotely deliver software updates or changes to the vehicle without further notice or consent. These updates or changes may enhance or maintain safety, security, or the operation of the vehicle or the vehicle systems. Software updates or changes may affect or erase data or settings that are stored in the vehicle, such as saved navigation destinations or pre-set radio stations. Neither OnStar nor GM is responsible for any affected or erased data or settings. These updates or changes may also collect personal information. Such collection is described in the OnStar privacy statement or separately disclosed at the time of installation. These updates or changes may also cause a system to automatically communicate with GM servers to collect information about vehicle system status, identify whether updates or changes are available, or deliver updates or changes. An active OnStar agreement constitutes consent to these software updates or changes and agreement that either OnStar or GM may remotely deliver them to the vehicle."

Comment

Thanks Busa Dave!
                            2LT GKZ in Torch Red
                            5ZZ High Wing Spoiler - Carbon Flash Metallic
                            AH2 GT2 Seats
                            E60 Front Lift Adjustable Height with Memory
                            FE4 Magnetic Ride Suspension
                            HUK Sky Cool Gray Seats
                            J6F Red Calipers
                            NPP Performance Exhaust (Incl w/Z51)
                            SC7 Roof Panel Storage Bag in Black w/Crossed Flags logo
                            Z51 Z51 Performance pkg
                            ZYC Carbon Flash Metallic painted outside mirrors

Comment

Originally posted by LightningBolt View Post
                              We don't know yet.

Purchased 5/2/2015,
                              >35,000+ miles

Comment

I am all in for OTA updates. it avoids the trip to dealer and the 150 mysterious miles added to the car while its at the dealer, plus also avoids the free car wash by the 19 year old kid with the dirty wash water bucket. Can you guess, that I don't like car dealers service depts.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X