Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

GM Official C8 Sites For Your Convenience And Inquiries

Coupe Build/Price: https://www.chevrolet.com/performanc...and-price/trim
*GM’s C8 Site: https://www.chevrolet.com/upcoming-v...ation-corvette
C8 Order Guide 10/11: https://eogld.cloud.gm.com/NASApp/do...D=21905&type=0
Visualize Your C8:https://visualizer.chevrolet.com/ui?...US&channel=b2c
Also please look at our stickies in each of the four major C8 sections. Thank you.
See more
See less

Re-Examining C8 Front Lift (Or Not)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re-Examining C8 Front Lift (Or Not)

The clearance on the C8 is listed as the same 5.3” as the C7. Some got the front lift because they had experienced rod rash issues with their C7’s when going up driveway aprons and speed bumps, or driving into roadway dips.

However, the factor that if one also ordered Z51 the combo of it and E60 creating lost front height adjustability, resulted in some backing away from the front axle lift system. Here is a new piece of information, at least new to me, for I had heretofore always assumed that the front air dam was a flexibility rubber like material as it was on earlier Corvette.

But not according “faldoc” who got down on his hands and knees and said the following. As so many have yet to have their order submitted officially, I wanted to insure all saw this picture and his comment.

Originally posted by faldoc
    The black thing just in front of the front wheel is hard plastic. It’s 3-1/2” from the ground. I’m going to scrape that thing every time I enter my driveway or go over a speed bump, even if I clear the splitter. I’m getting the front lift.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	205D5CB6-4356-4226-95EC-ECA072A92299.jpeg
Views:	2833
Size:	262.3 KB
ID:	80322

GS7 Elkhart Lake Blue, HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5ZZ high wing; 5VM vis CF ground effects pkg; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards.

Lifetime, annual contributors, and 20+ year members of National Corvette Museum.

Very interesting. An additional consideration is that the "approach angle" (what you really should be concerned with versus simple clearance height) is different (IMHO - not verified) in the C8 versus C7 as the leading edge is farther forward from the tire contact point on the C8 than it is on the C7. I went through all sorts of gyrations in 2018 trying to determine if my C7 ZR1 would have less clearance (my driveway) than the Z06 version....

Comment

We will need someone at an upcoming event to take at least the front end “protrusion measurement,” and a smart person to calculate the approach angle. I for one, am glad we ordered E60 — especially with our getting the expensive GM visible carbon fiber splitter and the amount of road trips to new places we take.
      GS7 Elkhart Lake Blue, HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5ZZ high wing; 5VM vis CF ground effects pkg; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards.

Lifetime, annual contributors, and 20+ year members of National Corvette Museum.

Comment

My recollection is that the ZR1 (at stock height) has about a 12 degree approach angle (my memory could be off, however). The good news is, most smart phones have an inclinometer function, which will tell you the angle just by laying your phone flat on the surface.....
        Last edited by ALF01; 10-09-2019, 09:54 AM.

Comment

Too late for me as my order is in and I don't want to change it now.

Someone has some 'splainin to do though since clearly the clearance is NOT 5.3"

Is that the bottom of the frunk we're looking at?

That looks to be about the same clearance as the front air dam on my GS. Difference is that the air dam is flexible rubber. And I'll get an occasional scrape.
          2020 C8 Corvette ....... TPW 12/2/19
          Shadow Grey Metallic on Black
          Z51 + MRC
          Spectra Grey Tridents
          Carbon flash mirrors and spoiler

Comment

I might be wrong, but that picture looks to me to be of a car shot on a sisal mat on a soft surface. Being a flexible material, it might compact under the wheels as the car tolls by and rebound as it rolls off. If this car was not driven backwards, the surface the photographer is measuring off of may not have been compacted at all. However, the surface under the wheel seems to be.

Beyond someone laying a smartphone with an inclinometer app against the hard plastic surface, we need a measurement on pavement. Anybody?

GM could, on the other hand just give us a quick drawing with the angles and dimensions. Just a thought,
            Last edited by jjsaz; 10-09-2019, 10:41 AM.

Comment

I will order E60. The nose of the Corvette after the C2 is vulnerable and protected only by the driver skills. Charlie aka cutnout

Comment

The C8 should clear speed bumps and driveways easier even if you don’t go for the lift. I had a C7Z and scraped the bottom often on speed bumps and probably 40-50% of the time going into my driveway. The only way I could park was to reverse in as well. I now have a 991 Turbo and have only scraped one time going into my driveway and I can pull in either way. The actual clearance in my research showed the 991 as being about the same or lower than C7. But with the shorter overhangs of ME and RE vehicles it’s much easier. The other big factor is you no longer have all the weight of the engine. So when your tires go up on the bump so does the front end rather than the front end sagging down from weight. I believe everyone will see much better results from the C8 over C7 with or without the FAL.

Comment

Even though I have been using Bridjit driveway curb ramps with my ZO6-ZO7, I am hoping the the E60 front end lift on the C8 will eliminate the need for them.....Having to move them into the garage for the winter, so the snow plows do not destroy them is a real pain....especially since they are 4 foot length and 45 lbs. each.....
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0436.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.25 MB ID:	80346

Comment

Originally posted by Bikerjulio View Post
                    Is that the bottom of the frunk we're looking at?
                    They appear to be small "spats" ahead of the front wheels to manage airflow around the tire. I saw a shot of them before, back when the camo'ed cars were running around but it wasn't nearly as good a photo as Faldoc took. (thanks!) I assumed they were just flexible pieces, but thanks goodness we found out about this now rather than at delivery!

The surface the car is sitting on is commercial carpet. It's unlikely the front wheels would compress it more than 1/16" or 1/8" so this measurement should be pretty accurate. Leaning tape measure aside.

Comment

I don't think having 3 1/2" clearance that close to the front tire is going to be an issue. Big difference having that clearance right next to the tire as opposed to 12+" in front of it. Draw a line that follows the angle of that plastic piece down towards the tire - you'd need a hell of a driveway angle to really scrape that plastic piece IMHO. Of course I generally hit driveways at an angle anyway, just to avoid scraping issues as much as possible.
                      Last edited by VicH; 10-09-2019, 01:58 PM.

Comment

I wonder if that's on all cars, or if it's part of the front splitter on the Z51 equipped cars.

Edit: Blowing up this pic of a non-Z51, it appears to have that part, too. But I agree with VicH that having that low clearance right in front of the tire is less an issue than having it out front.
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2019-10-09 at 12344 PM.png
Views:	473
Size:	470.5 KB
ID:	80387
                        Last edited by meyerweb; 10-09-2019, 12:32 PM.
                        SunKissed, my 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible (One of about 40)

Purchased 5/2/2015,
                        >35,000+ miles

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out http://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

I can see it now. An aftermarket supplier will sell flexible rubber replacements.

Comment

Does anyone know if that plastic "spat" can be removed/un-screwed if need be, or, until an aftermarket flexible piece can be purchased? I'd really rather have the E60, but if it's still constrained when my allocation is allowed and my order can be placed, don't want that to hold up my order. My C7 GS would sometimes scape a little no matter how cautious/angled I was at my curb. Any thoughts?

Comment

As to my prior #14 thread, I want E60, but don't want/will not be ordering Z51 or MRC. There's my issue.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X