Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

GM Official C8 Sites For Your Convenience And Inquiries

Coupe Build/Price: https://www.chevrolet.com/performanc...and-price/trim
*GM’s C8 Site: https://www.chevrolet.com/upcoming-v...ation-corvette
C8 Order Guide 10/11: https://eogld.cloud.gm.com/NASApp/do...D=21905&type=0
Visualize Your C8:https://visualizer.chevrolet.com/ui?...US&channel=b2c
Also please look at our stickies in each of the four major C8 sections. Thank you.
See more
See less

Visually Z51 or Not

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I too plan to drive my C8 in the winter and do not want to buy another set of tires/wheels.

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	E68064F6-6351-4685-B023-F2AD764B3477.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	376.3 KB ID:	71521Click image for larger version  Name:	715022BA-4773-41D1-A354-B7E26A27BC75.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	389.0 KB ID:	71517

This is the poster I will put up in my garage soon. Identical to the C8 I ordered. Yes I like RED.
      Last edited by MikeC8; 09-14-2019, 09:39 AM.
      C8. 2LT Z51. Order status 3000

Comment

If you need to make room for that poster you could send me some of those Coke signs.
        1966 coupe - Sunfire Yellow / Black
        2004 Z06 - Millennium Yellow / Black

NCM Lifetime Member since 2003

Comment

Take it from a MSAE, that splitter and that wing are too small to do squat ! The Z51 aero stuff is largely for looks. The serious aero stuff is the package on the C7 ZR1 and the C7.R. If you really want to drive your C8 on Road America's Kettle Bottoms at 175 mph, you need to have ACS or somebody else help you put a real wing on the back end. The Z51 device is too small and its draggy to boot.

Comment

So you think GM is lying when they say the spoiler produces 400 pounds of downforce at high speed?
            SunKissed, my 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible (One of about 40)

Purchased 5/2/2015,
            >35,000+ miles

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out http://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

I prefer the Z51 over the non-Z51 based on seeing the cars in person and my preference for the high wing spoiler which I'll eventually order and add.

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post
                Picture speaks 1000 words. Picture thanks to Deo Klein as found by jagamajajaran. Thank you both.

Click image for larger version  Name:	8E27D04D-DCDD-44D4-98D5-8DB07F20EBCF.jpeg Views:	378 Size:	531.9 KB ID:	70758
                Glad I finally settled on Ceramic Matrix Gray Metallic for my body color. It looks so much better than appliance white and, without the freek'n Z51 spoiler.
                2017 Arctic White Z06 Convertible 2LZ Trim, Carbon Flash painted mirrors, Z06 Spectra Gray-painted with machined groove aluminum wheels, Adrenaline Red w/Black Seating surfaces, A8, Carbon fiber instrument panel. Life Member, Corvette Museum.

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post
                  I had a similar feeling about the C7, that the entry car without a spoiler is a cleaner, more aesthetically beautiful car, but for other reasons I still am a Z51/Z06 person with a rear deck spoiler.
                  I don't mind it on the Z06. In fact, a Z06 would look naked without it imho. ymmv
                  2017 Arctic White Z06 Convertible 2LZ Trim, Carbon Flash painted mirrors, Z06 Spectra Gray-painted with machined groove aluminum wheels, Adrenaline Red w/Black Seating surfaces, A8, Carbon fiber instrument panel. Life Member, Corvette Museum.

Comment

Ok, lets do some math. Chevy says the wing adds 400 pounds of downforce at....184 mph. Lift = Cl x Rho x V squared. Rho (density) is a constant, so at 100 mph the force is 100/184 squared times 400 pounds = about 120 pounds. The car weighs 3600 pounds of which 60% is over the rear wheels or 2200 pounds. The bottom line is the wing increases the down load on the rear tires by around 5%. 5% in my book is squat. I rest my case.

Comment

That is a case you will need to take up directly with GM who has repeatedly stated that the Z51 generates 400 net pounds of downforce, that the high wing develops a little more than that, but the high wing has less drag.

You and GM can discuss it directly, for your math is so far over my head.
                      GS7 Elkhart Lake Blue, HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5ZZ high wing; 5VM vis CF ground effects pkg; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards.

Lifetime, annual contributors, and 20+ year members of National Corvette Museum.

Comment

The ZR1 wing generates over 1500 pounds of downforce. The smaller C8 high wing probably generates somewhat less. You can estimate the force by the wing planform area - it is directly proportional. The C8.R wing is even bigger - it likely generates close to 2500 pounds of downforce. THAT is what you need for Kettle Bottoms !

Comment

Styling supposedly leads the public so maybe these new types of low and high wing spoiler options will be in huge demand as the c8 is available in showrooms.

as time goes on I more and more like the z51 low wing as part of the oackage.

worst case scenario the aftermarket comes up with some choices more appealing. GM s form following function mantra does challenge what many of us have grown used to.

doesnt mean with time we may learn to appreciate the standard z51 spoiler.

i think thats what is happeming to me after havong seen the low wing z51 spoiler...

GM did such a good job hiding the z51 spoiler many of us formed our opinions based on the cobbled up wing on the mules..

i think GM did too good a job disguising the z51 spoiler...in some of the spy shots of the test mules the rear wing looked like a melted blob.

many of us formed our opinions of the z51 rear wing at that time...(you know what has been said about first impressions)

having seen what was it 14 c8 s at carlisle ? I believe the standard styling doesn't require any spoiler yet if your choosing then the option the low wing is pretty cool.

for me the high wing dealer installed option is a little loud....Im sure it will look awesome just probably not my taste and since you are asking for opinions that is mine.

the high wing is just not for me. The added hassle of loading the trunk considering Im using my corvette as a daily is a factor as well. I rip the roof off and put it back on quite often ...on a whim...

making the storing of the roof more challenging to store would be a wrong decision for me.

Torch Red exterior/ black interior z51 FE4 2LT or 1LT depending on when i get the call..Ill flip a coin at that moment..same for E60

Comment

If I were buying His and Hers C8’s, Hers wouldn’t have a wing.
                            I think the convertible will definitely look better with no wing.
                            Last edited by Meldoon; 09-15-2019, 07:28 AM.
                            Black over Sky Cool Gray.....2LT.....Z51.....FE4.....E60.....

Comment

Its also regionally dependent. Here in the northeast I think many of us have seen high spoilers on a variety of vehicles tjat can at a certain point be less than flattering on something as beautiful as the c8.

there was a period of time throughout the country where high wings were so prevalent on honda civics it permanently ingrained in our heads the sound of fartcans with the sight of high wings...

the hatred by the general public of those vehicles has generated quite a bit of vandalism for anything sporting high wing spoilers..

too much attention to speed type sporting vehicle statements generates unfortunate keying of vehicles when parked and there is no way to capture them when your car is parked...

just a sad reality of high density populations when traveling and parking in lower income areas on occasion...

sounds nuts I know....yet its a reality sometimes when you daily.
                              Torch Red exterior/ black interior z51 FE4 2LT or 1LT depending on when i get the call..Ill flip a coin at that moment..same for E60

Comment

Originally posted by JB View Post
                                Its also regionally dependent. Here in the northeast I think many of us have seen high spoilers on a variety of vehicles that can at a certain point be less than flattering on something as beautiful as the c8.
                                This is certainly true!

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X