Views:	414
Size:	10.8 KB
ID:	68236

Click image for larger version

Name:	a475cb63-ferrari-f8-tributo-2b.jpg
Views:	475
Size:	148.0 KB
ID:	68237

Corvette had years to come up with the C8 design, and you can't tell me that with the resources available to them, they couldn't have presented something comparable to the Tributo.

Look at the elegance, balance, and flowing lines (and the round tail lights) of the rear end. Granted they probably didn't have the 2 golf bag requirement, but that could have been achieved somehow.
    They've really achieved a perfect balance re the front end too. The C8 is not as good, but is acceptable.

I keep thinking back to James Schefters book " All Corvettes are Red", and the internal politics he described that finally, somehow, resulted in the C5. Could something similar been in play during the development of the C8?

And look at the treatment of the Five Star wheels. I have never seen anything as original or as beautiful as these wheels.

Cost does not even become a factor here. Corvette could have created a C8 on par with the Ferrari at the same cost as the C8.

I have 2 older Ferraris in my collection, and I remember each time one arrived, I would sit in the garage and marvel how the lines and design far surpassed what was available on other cars at that time.

I believe that Automobile Design is incorporated in the DNA of every Italian.

I rest my case.
    3LT AYM. Z51, Mag Shocks, Yellow Calipers. Black Interior, Black Suede Seats, Yellow Stitching. Yellow Seat Belts. #130 on MacMulkin's list.

Speaking for fellow Italians, yes I've been appointed to speak for all Italians on the forum, I couldn't agree more. Ferrari's are just the epitome of automobile design.

Comment

I diagree. Had the C8 looked anything other than it does (already not pleasing some Corvette traditionalists), the entire Corvette community would’ve been in an uproar, saying...

“It doesn’t look like a Corvette!!!”
      GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5ZZ high wing; 5VM vis CF ground effects pkg; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards.

Lifetime, annual contributors, and 20+ year members of National Corvette Museum.

Comment

Sounds like you don't like the C8 so maybe you should go buy a Ferrari instead.
        1966 coupe - Sunfire Yellow / Black
        2004 Z06 - Millennium Yellow / Black

NCM Lifetime Member since 2003

Comment

. The C8 is not as good, but is acceptable.
          The C8s cost ($59,995)is 25% the cost of the F8 ($261,274) The F8 is undoubtably a beautiful automobile and as far as I see the C8 is pretty freaking beautiful too. AND it’s built in the USA .For me the C8 is attainable the F8 is not ☹️ but like most Italian beauties I can look but not touch..🙈🙉🙊
          Last edited by V1 VR; 09-05-2019, 06:24 PM.
          2014 Stingray Laguna Blue “Cindyblue”
          1100 status 😊
          2020 C8 Stingray; 3LT ; GS7 Elkhart Lake Blue ; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51;FE4 Mag Ride; C2Q dual roof ; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6E yellow Calipers; VQK Splash Guards.

Comment

Originally posted by brad66 View Post
            Sounds like you don't like the C8 so maybe you should go buy a Ferrari instead.
            Not true. I'm just saying I think Corvette could have done better.
            It didn't have to look like a Ferrari.

I've always had a Corvette and intend to continue having a Corvette beside the Ferraris I already have.
            3LT AYM. Z51, Mag Shocks, Yellow Calipers. Black Interior, Black Suede Seats, Yellow Stitching. Yellow Seat Belts. #130 on MacMulkin's list.

Comment

Originally posted by USCANAM View Post
              I present my case for this opinion

Name:	fer1.JPG
Views:	414
Size:	10.8 KB
ID:	68236

Name:	a475cb63-ferrari-f8-tributo-2b.jpg
Views:	475
Size:	148.0 KB
ID:	68237

Corvette had years to come up with the C8 design, and you can't tell me that with the resources available to them, they couldn't have presented something comparable to the Tributo.

Look at the elegance, balance, and flowing lines (and the round tail lights) of the rear end. Granted they probably didn't have the 2 golf bag requirement, but that could have been achieved somehow.
              They've really achieved a perfect balance re the front end too. The C8 is not as good, but is acceptable.

I keep thinking back to James Schefters book " All Corvettes are Red", and the internal politics he described that finally, somehow, resulted in the C5. Could something similar been in play during the development of the C8?

And look at the treatment of the Five Star wheels. I have never seen anything as original or as beautiful as these wheels.

Cost does not even become a factor here. Corvette could have created a C8 on par with the Ferrari at the same cost as the C8.

I have 2 older Ferraris in my collection, and I remember each time one arrived, I would sit in the garage and marvel how the lines and design far surpassed what was available on other cars at that time.

I believe that Automobile Design is incorporated in the DNA of every Italian.

I rest my case.
              You know what they say opinions are like.........
              Black over Sky Cool Gray.....2LT.....Z51.....FE4.....E60.....

Comment

Originally posted by V1 VR View Post

The C8s cost ($59,995)is 25% the cost of the F8 ($261,274) The F8 is undoubtably a beautiful automobile and as far as I see the C8 is pretty freaking beautiful too. AND it’s built in the USA .For me the C8 is attainable the F8 is not ☹️ but like most Italian beauties I can look but not touch..🙈🙉🙊
                If you're going to quote me, how about using my whole quote "They've really achieved a perfect balance re the front end too. The C8 is not as good, but is acceptable."

The point I'm trying to get across is with the resources that General Motors have, I think they could have done better.

I like the C8 enough to have ordered one, but that doesn't mean I have to be fully pleased with it. In it's favor, it will have American reliability(I hope), and a wide service network if needed.

The Ferrari is a quarter of a millions dollars because it's low volume, exclusive, over priced, and it's a Ferrari. General Motors could build that same car for close to C8 money as a high volume selling vehicle.

Sometimes, life is a compromise.

Comment

Originally posted by Meldoon View Post

You know what they say opinions are like.........
                  Lol. And mine is that: it is mid engine, it maintains the user bandwidth, it is practical, it is beautiful and it looks American. Oh and it is affordable. In the words of the Corvette design team. it is a grand slam home run. And I hold Corvette to a higher standard than others.
                  P.s. respect all the design decisions that enabled this level of performance for this incredible value.

Comment

We're all car guys, we can respect the opinions of others that differ from our own.

Comment

Personally, I have not been a fan of any of the modern Ferraris. I owned a 308 when they were new and thought it and the Daytona were the most beautiful cars ever built; still do actually. But modern ones are too fussy for my taste. I think Chevy did a great job on the C8, especially for the price and (assumed) practicality (space, repairs, longevity) and performance ... but beauty is always in the eye of the beholder, so there is no wrong (or right) answer.
                      Last edited by 07MontyRed; 09-06-2019, 05:44 PM.

Comment

Name:	67EBA863-735E-4551-9FD4-D651D2F31827.jpeg
Views:	304
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	68266 Quote: I believe that Automobile Design is incorporated in the DNA of every Italian.

Maybe not EVERY Italian......

Black over Sky Cool Gray.....2LT.....Z51.....FE4.....E60.....

Comment

The F8 Tributo is a spectacular car - as for those star wheels, they look an awful lot like C7 ZR1 wheels to me. Wouldn't be the first time that I see similarities between Ferrari and Corvette.
                          Current: 2019 Coupe, Z06, 3LZ, Elkhart Lake Blue, Jet Black.
                          Former: 2015 Coupe, LT1, Z51 3LT, Laguna Blue, Jet Black.

Comment

That F8 doesn't look a world of difference from the C8. Now I know how to answer the question when I drive my C8 and am asked "What is that?". I'll say its an F8 Ferrari before I say just kidding, its a Chevy. I had the "What is it" often when I first got my 2014 C7 and there weren't many on the road. Same then, "Its a Ferrari", just kidding, its a Chevy.

Comment

Yes the Ferrari looks nice, it's supposed too it costs what $250K and is hand built. I am sure design is based on a the same price point as the rest of the car (drivetrain, interior etc.) Based on assembly line requirements a price point of $59,995, that is the design the Corvette team came up with. It's juts not a matter of drawing lines on a piece of paper and then telling someone OK build it. Designs and the engineering to build that design have a cost associated with it, given the requirements the C8 they designed it to meet the price point.
                              Bill Strobel
                              Fayetteville, NC
                              1979 Corvette Original Owner

"Do It Right or Don't Do It At All"

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X