Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

GM Official C8 Sites For Your Convenience And Inquiries

*Build/Price:https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...hanks-to-mkenm
*GM’s C8 Site: https://www.chevrolet.com/upcoming-v...ation-corvette
C8 Order Guide (9/6): https://www.gmfleetorderguide.com/NA...page=&butID=1#
Visualize Your C8:https://visualizer.chevrolet.com/ui?...US&channel=b2c
Also please look at our stickies in each of the four major C8 sections. Thank you.
See more
See less

Will The C8 Have Sufficient Cargo Capacity For Your Needs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great post Gadgetry! Love the detail.

Comment

Frunk/trunk sizes from another thread.

The frunk is approximately 22 1/2” wide X 15” front-to-rear, with a sloping height of 18” deep front to 33” rear. Major thanks to C7Redneck for taking/providing us the frunk’s measurements.

The trunk is approximately 53 1/2” wide X 16.5” deep, and about 12” front-to-rear dimension. I can tell from my reaching downward into its rear trunk at the NCM 25th, that it much, much deeper than the distance from “the top of the rear fascia down to its ‘floor’” than the C7’s comparable distance. It could be twice as deep or even 2 1/2” times as deep as that distance for the C7.

Note: UPDATED the trunk measurements based on the video in our “Will Your C8 Have Adequate Storage Capacity To Meet Your Storage Needs” and the ClubGlove brochure.

Last edited by John; 09-11-2019, 09:16 AM.
      GS7 Elkhart Lake Blue, HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5ZZ high wing; 5VM vis CF ground effects pkg; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards.

Lifetime, annual contributors, and 20+ year members of National Corvette Museum.

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post

The frunk is approximately 22 1/2” wide X 15” front-to-rear, with a sloping height of 18” deep front to 33” rear.

The trunk is approximately 53 1/2” wide X 16.5” deep, and about 12” front-to-rear dimension. I can tell from my reaching downward into its rear trunk at the NCM 25th, that it much, much deeper than the distance from “the top of the rear fascia down to its ‘floor’” than the C7’s comparable distance. It could be twice as deep or even 2 1/2” times as deep as that distance for the C7.

Note: UPDATED the trunk measurements based on the video in our “Will Your C8 Have Adequate Storage Capacity To Meet Your Storage Needs” and the ClubGlove brochure.
        Thank you John! Taking the above measurements as a basis, would suggest storage capacity as follows:

Frunk: the average of the sloping height is 25.5, leading to 22.5 (w) x 25.5 (d) x 15 (f-t-r), suggesting 4.98 cu ft, or 141 liters.

Trunk: 53 1/2” (w) x 16.5” (d), 12” (f-t-r), suggesting 6.13 cu ft or 173.6 liters.

Overall 11.1 cu ft, or 314.6 liters. Stated size is 12.6 cu ft, or just under 357 liters.

From the video the frunk looked smaller, since it looked pretty full, at least vertically, with the Carry-on, the Shoulder bag, and the Shwine kit. The Carry-on, stored side handle up, and shoulder bag laying down, are 16 inches tall when stacked in this way, as in the video clip. There seemed to be space behind at the rear, and on the sides, but it didn't look like there was 2.4 cu ft left. The frunk width is also narrower at the front than the rear, so probably it's closer to 4 cu ft, than 5.

The shape of the trunk suggests the depth is greater in certain spots, but the shape may be restrictive. To me it looks larger than 6.13 cu ft.
        Last edited by Gadgety; 09-11-2019, 06:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralston View Post

You'll be pleased to note that luggage runs $3,347. Might be cheaper to FedEx your stuff ahead.

Not using the TRS Cordura 1050, but the regular Cordura 1000 D and 1600 material, it totals $1364 as follows:

Rolling Duffle III $329.00
          Backpack III $199.00
          Gear Bag $119.00
          Carry-On III $399.00
          Shoulder Bag $229.00
          Shwine Kit $89

I've travelled a lot, mainly by air, and in my experience usually it's other things that break than the ballistic nylon, such as zippers, wheel axles, bearings, handles. I've mainly used Tumi and Samsonite.
          Last edited by Gadgety; 09-11-2019, 05:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Milliwatt Rob View Post

May be a problem with a 7.65mm Argentine Mauser with 29 inch barrel. But a M1 Carbine will fit just fine.
            I've already ordered a gun-rack for the firewall window (strange that GM didn't make that a standard feature).
            Current Vettes:
            '68 Lemans Blue 327/350 Convertible
            '91 Turquoise Convertible w/hardtop
            '14 Lime Rock Green 2LT Convertible, Black Top, Kalahari, 7-Speed, Performance Exhaust
            Upcoming Vette:
            '20 Elkhart Lake Blue 2LT Coupe, Natural Interior, GT2 two-tone seats, Performance Exhaust, Front Lift, Carbon Flash Wheels, Engine Appearance Package

Comment

I think it will be fine. As the owner of a C7 convertible, I'm used to creative packing for any road trip over a few days. Also, there is my ongoing mantra, "Wherever we're going, there will likely be stores." My wife always counters that argument with "But what do we do with whatever we buy when it's time to head for home?" That's easy as well. Put it all in a big box and ship it. Dirty clothes, purchases, souvenirs, etc. You'd be surprised how reasonable this can be, and you not only don't have to worry about it, you find that you have more room in your trunk than when you left home. Sure, you can kiss removing and storing the top on the C8 coupe goodbye for the duration of your trip - or at least until you head home, having shipped that box home ahead of you.

Comment

Originally posted by Gadgety View Post

Thank you John! Taking the above measurements as a basis, would suggest storage capacity as follows:

Frunk: the average of the sloping height is 25.5, leading to 22.5 (w) x 25.5 (d) x 15 (f-t-r), suggesting 4.98 cu ft, or 141 liters.

Trunk: 53 1/2” (w) x 16.5” (d), 12” (f-t-r), suggesting 6.13 cu ft or 173.6 liters.

Overall 11.1 cu ft, or 314.6 liters. Stated size is 12.6 cu ft, or just under 357 liters.

From the video the frunk looked smaller, since it looked pretty full, at least vertically, with the Carry-on, the Shoulder bag, and the Shwine kit. The Carry-on, stored side handle up, and shoulder bag laying down, are 16 inches tall when stacked in this way, as in the video clip. There seemed to be space behind at the rear, and on the sides, but it didn't look like there was 2.4 cu ft left. The frunk width is also narrower at the front than the rear, so probably it's closer to 4 cu ft, than 5.

The shape of the trunk suggests the depth is greater in certain spots, but the shape may be restrictive. To me it looks larger than 6.13 cu ft.
                Thank you very much. Based on your analysis, many of my dimensions are too “low.” We will have to do more precise measuring later.

As to the ClubGlove luggage, each time I have seen it, I have been super impressed by how it is made, e.g., four rivets at the intersecting points. I spend quite a bit at the BASH going over several pieces closely, and not one components was less than excellent IMO. Going to buy some later, but first have to finish saying for the car itself.

BTW, taking a tape measure with me to the HT reveal and if there is time, see if a) itd storage is different, and b) if I can refine any of the measurements.
                Last edited by John; 09-11-2019, 11:18 PM.
                GS7 Elkhart Lake Blue, HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5ZZ high wing; 5VM vis CF ground effects pkg; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards.

Lifetime, annual contributors, and 20+ year members of National Corvette Museum.

Comment

I think this amount of cargo will be perfectly fine. Enough for a pack for my wife and I each, plus souvenirs and the roof. I think it looks great!

Comment

Thank you very much. Based on your analysis, many of my dimensions are too “low.” We will have to do more precise measuring later.

As to the ClubGlove luggage, each time I have seen it, I have been super impressed by how it is made, e.g., four rivets at the intersecting points. I spend quite a bit at the BASH going over several pieces closely, and not one components was less than excellent IMO. Going to buy some later, but first have to finish saying for the car itself.

BTW, taking a tape measure with me to the HT reveal and if there is time, see if a) itd storage is different, and b) if I can refine any of the measurements.
                    Thank you, John. I'm very much looking forward to the measurements, and the HT reveal!

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_12090.jpg Views:	5 Size:	334.5 KB ID:	70663
                      Originally posted by fyreline View Post
                      I think it will be fine. As the owner of a C7 convertible, I'm used to creative packing for any road trip over a few days. Also, there is my ongoing mantra, "Wherever we're going, there will likely be stores." My wife always counters that argument with "But what do we do with whatever we buy when it's time to head for home?" That's easy as well. Put it all in a big box and ship it. Dirty clothes, purchases, souvenirs, etc. You'd be surprised how reasonable this can be, and you not only don't have to worry about it, you find that you have more room in your trunk than when you left home. Sure, you can kiss removing and storing the top on the C8 coupe goodbye for the duration of your trip - or at least until you head home, having shipped that box home ahead of you.
                      This is creative packing in a frunk. Must be a benchmark for a Ferrari Testarossa, courtesy of Harry Metcalfe. First, a 15 hp boat engine. "Just look at that, made for it."
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	Harris Testarossa boat engine2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	359.8 KB ID:	70652
                      Then a back pack for the weekend.
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	Harris Testarossa boat engine4.jpg Views:	0 Size:	320.3 KB ID:	70654
                      On the way back from the French Riviera, an unplanned purchase of 14 bottles of champagne. "This is going to be a bit of a challenge."
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	Harris Testarossa boat engine5.jpg Views:	0 Size:	325.2 KB ID:	70660Click image for larger version  Name:	Harris Testarossa boat engine6.jpg Views:	0 Size:	302.1 KB ID:	70661Click image for larger version  Name:	Harris Testarossa boat engine7.jpg Views:	0 Size:	334.5 KB ID:	70662 Click image for larger version  Name:	Harris Testarossa boat engine8.jpg Views:	0 Size:	338.6 KB ID:	70666
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Gadgety; 09-12-2019, 05:02 AM.

Comment

The frunk is approximately 22 1/2” wide X 15” front-to-rear, with a sloping height of 18” deep front to 33” rear. Major thanks to C7Redneck for taking/providing us the frunk’s measurements.

ClubGlove’s luggage helps to confirm the above estimates with this picture:

Click image for larger version

Name:	4B37932E-F689-4C49-B179-1A9EB249144E.jpeg
Views:	79
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	72099

Simple to calculate width for the ClubGlove.com backpack is 12” wide, the duffel has a 29” length, and the farthest item, the gear bag is 10” diameter (I have the ClubGlove brochure in front of me, with specs for each item as I am typing this); ergo, a minimum of 51” length, and from another picture and seeing it for myself at the NCM, 25th, there was a little room between some of the items. I am thinking about 53” inside width to the trunk.

This is only slightly different from our guess above of 53 1/2.”

Comment

Having seen American Ingenuity through the years, I would expect someone to create a great looking small trailer very soon!

By the way, I have used Club Glove bags for years. There are none better. Great to have them as a sponsor.

Comment

I remember, a long, long time ago in Popular Mechanics, reader comments on a car review. The car under review was a family sedan. A farmer gave a negative review, complaining that the car would bottom out driving across hay fields, and the trunk couldn't hold a decent size hay bale.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X