MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 4 < >

Z06 Reveal Live Site

2 of 4 < >

CORVETTE TODAY #80 - Meet Famed Corvette Race Car Driver, Andy Pilgrim

If you're a fan of Corvette Racing, you'll absolutely love this podcast! https://podcasts.adorilabs.com/corve...FH4VXOYBcu2ZSx. Your CORVETTE TODAY host, Steve Garrett, sits down with famed Corvette Racing driver, Andy Pilgrim, to discuss his illustrious career. Andy takes you back to his days in Great Britain, where he started racing motorcycles. He tells you how he got to the United States and how he got invited to be a part of the Corvette Racing team. Pilgrim talks about his 20+ years racing, his time at Le Mans and much more.

Also find out what andy is doing today along with his association with the National Corvette Museum and the Motorsports Park.
It's an fascinating listen about one of the drivers who helped kick on Corvette Racing on the CORVETTE TODAY podcast!

Listen Here: https://adori.page.link/corvette-today
Website & Merchandise: www.CorvetteTodayPodcast.com
Get email notifications: https://CorvetteToday.ck.page
Join the CORVETTE TODAY Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/2718423201763136
Watch CORVETTE TODAY on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXC...SjjEXUt_UlOPPQ
3 of 4 < >

The Official GM Z06 Press Release Will Be Here Tuesday @ 12:01 Pm (ET)

See more
See less

Original C8 Clay Model

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Original C8 Clay Model

Now inside the NCM for the 25th Anniversary Celebration. This is a 40% scale according to Harlan.

Click image for larger version  Name:	2B77208A-044C-44AA-9E7A-F0175BBBCBBB.jpeg Views:	10 Size:	2.17 MB ID:	64871
    Last edited by John; 08-28-2019, 09:49 AM.
    GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Pretty cool piece of future history. Amazing to know that in this day of 3D modeling and computational dynamics, it still starts with a chunk of clay and the talents of an artist.

Comment

Wow ... pretty darn close to what got built

Comment

Very nice to see that model. I'm glad GM released it to the museum. Looks like they knew where they were going from the start.
        Current: 2019 Coupe, Z06, 3LZ, Elkhart Lake Blue, Jet Black.
        Former: 2015 Coupe, LT1, Z51 3LT, Laguna Blue, Jet Black.

Comment

Originally posted by AirdaleC7 View Post
          Pretty cool piece of future history. Amazing to know that in this day of 3D modeling and computational dynamics, it still starts with a chunk of clay and the talents of an artist.
          And yet there's some modern tech creeping into the picture -- the wheels, mirrors, and maybe the splitter appear to be 3D-printed pieces.

This seems to be fairly late in the design process when much of the car was already nailed down. The rear deck and greenhouse are less fully developed than the rest of the design. Strange that this is not the typical "half-model" where sculptors only create half the car and it's placed against a mirror to complete the image.

Comment

Originally posted by German View Post
            Looks like they knew where they were going from the start.
            I doubt they had that vision in mind right at the start. There are usually many, many iterations throughout the design process before it approaches the final result. Remember this full size clay shown previously:

Click image for larger version  Name:	fetch?id=53192&amp;d=1564420020.jpg Views:	1 Size:	114.7 KB ID:	64995

While we don't know the actual timeline, this full size clay seems to be from earlier in the process where the basic proportions and massing are correct but surface features have not been refined yet. Thank goodness we ended up with a version like that small model, not this one!

Comment

I would have been happy with that one...👍
              Black over Sky Cool Gray.....2LT.....Z51.....FE4.....E60.....

Comment

Originally posted by Klinn View Post

I doubt they had that vision in mind right at the start. There are usually many, many iterations throughout the design process before it approaches the final result. Remember this full size clay shown previously:

Click image for larger version Name:	fetch?id=53192&amp;d=1564420020.jpg Views:	1 Size:	114.7 KB ID:	64995

While we don't know the actual timeline, this full size clay seems to be from earlier in the process where the basic proportions and massing are correct but surface features have not been refined yet. Thank goodness we ended up with a version like that small model, not this one!
                This picture would seem to date from 2015.

Comment

This model looks a lot like a ferrari 488...it wouldn’t surprise me to see some of these lines in the next c9.. I do like the c8 more
                  3lt SOT...cf racing stripe,front lift.mag ride, z51,cf mirrors & spoiler,bright trident wheels,yellow calipers, yellow stitching black leather ,yellow belts,

Comment

That was quite interesting to see. Thank you for posting up.

Comment

Originally posted by Tbob View Post
                      This model looks a lot like a ferrari 488...it wouldn’t surprise me to see some of these lines in the next c9.. I do like the c8 more
                      I prefer the C8 we ended up with too. The stage we're seeing in that full size clay seems like somebody thought it would be a great idea to use the stingray shape as much as possible. If you squint, you can see that the side scoop resembles the stingray emblem. Then they echoed some of that shape in the odd scoop at the front corners. But to me it looks rather forced, not a natural feature flowing out of the overall design. I'm glad they appeared to have second thoughts about following that stingray shape so slavishly and instead gave us the great design we see now.

Comment

Originally posted by Klinn View Post

Click image for larger version Name:	fetch?id=53192&amp;d=1564420020.jpg Views:	1 Size:	114.7 KB ID:	64995

Honestly looks like a lambo in that clay model. I would have taken either in all honesty. I wonder why they trashed this one?? Not enough cooling to the engine is my guess. That clay is SPENDY! Not your standard play-doah! HEHE!
                        NCM Life Member

Comment

Originally posted by Meldoon View Post
                          I would have been happy with that one...👍
                          Agreed - I remember seeing that in the video, and I was kind of like, hey wait a minute - no offense but why not that first one?? I bet it was actually the trunk! Doah! Couldn't get the golf clubs in there. Another popular option - trunk delete. It already has a frunk! HEHE!
                          NCM Life Member

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X