Adnimation ATF

Collapse

MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

PRIVATE MESSAGE HINT/HELP

Some are having trouble seeing a PM another member has sent them, saying it is just the title and then a big white blank page. Just click on the title and the message will open up for you. Thanks.
See more
See less

Wheels--Powder coating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheels--Powder coating

Powder coating comes in alot of colors.It will last and really is not that costly.Yes it could be a pain to get it done but wow could be a great color match.

At roughly 8-10 times more rock chip resistant than paint, a super option. Available at the best powder coasters in black chrome too.
    GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

Are the color options as unlimited as paints?
      '64 Silver Grey Coupe (custom paint)- still our favorite
      '77 Black L82 / 4SPD
      '78 Silver Anniversary L82 / 4SPD
      '13 White/Blue Diamond 427 60th roadster - favorite late model
      '14 Black Z51 Coupe
      '15 Shark Grey Z51 Coupe

'20... Zeus Bronze Coupe, 2LT, GT2 seats, Natural two tone, Body color accents, Pewter wheels- 10/1/20😀 GAME CHANGER

Comment

Yes I believe that is right.

Comment

Originally posted by George View Post
          Are the color options as unlimited as paints?
          The shop I’ve used in Houston has over 6500 color combinations. That’s surely enough to satisfy your color shading needs. Check out rimrepairhoustontx.com. Great work and service. It’s becoming popular especially for the price so I bet you can find a shop close to you that does it as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Cadle View Post
            Powder coating comes in alot of colors.It will last and really is not that costly.Yes it could be a pain to get it done but wow could be a great color match.
            I'm going to have the 20" wheels off my almost 10 year truck (new record for me) sand/bead blaster & powder coated for $600 cash . I thought that was a good deal & its not the first time I've been to the shop so I'm sure they'll L 👀K great ...
            A thought if I might ...

Comment

Any downsides to powdercoating?

weight, structural integrity due to heating etc?

just never did it before...

what do black chrome look like John? Ive heard you mention this ..any chance you can post up another photo of your beautiful c7 z06 with those wheels?

ill probably just do glass black like the stock gm c7 z51 wheels I have now...

didnt know if powdercoating is easy to repair in case of a curb scrape? Or if those little curb scraps or pothole incidences have no effect on powdercoated wheels...

thanks in advance if anyone knows....

how come no one really sells powdercoated wheels and most of the tome they are just painted rims?

Comment

Originally posted by JB View Post
                Any downsides to powdercoating?

weight, structural integrity due to heating etc?

just never did it before...

what do black chrome look like John? Ive heard you mention this ..any chance you can post up another photo of your beautiful c7 z06 with those wheels?

ill probably just do glass black like the stock gm c7 z51 wheels I have now...

didnt know if powdercoating is easy to repair in case of a curb scrape? Or if those little curb scraps or pothole incidences have no effect on powdercoated wheels...

thanks in advance if anyone knows....

how come no one really sells powdercoated wheels and most of the tome they are just painted rims?
                I had the 4 18 inch wheels on my 99 C5 powder coated 6 years ago and even with a lot of racing where brake heat transfers to the wheels
                they look good today and as back 6 years ago

Only thing to think about,
                the **** shop that did mine did NOT take the small thin metal center caps off so they lived in that hot oven temps
                and would not longer fit correctly in the center of the wheel :-(

Make sure also if not done right the wheel can be really out of weight balance as the whole wheel is powder coated

Last in my case one wheel with the coating has a very small slow air-leak in edge of rim so tire does not fully seat.
                Maybe 1 PSI loss every 5-6 weeks
                Corvettes owned, wrenched on and raced since 1975:
                1974,75,77,84,87,89,91,93,94 ZR-1 & 1999 Mallett 435

Comment

Thank you for your insights...definitely worth investigating ahead of time,

Comment

I'm def wondering about this - $1000 for black wheel upgrade. MMM.. I'm going with comp grey anyway. Blacks a bit played out inmo. I'm seeing it on Chevrolet Bolts for crying out loud! J/k. Pretty close though. Color is obviously so personal though.

I do like the aftermarket ("Vossen" I think) someone posted on here awhile ago.
                    NCM Life Member

Comment

Back in 2014, on the C7 forum, the early purchasers were complaining that their $500 option factory black painted wheels were chipping and not holding up well. So when I ordered my car in Sept 2014, I went with the no extra cost silver wheels, and over the winter had them powder coated for about the same $500. Of course, I first had to pay for the tire dismount and TPMS removal, and remounting after the job was done.

The wheels look great and have held up well. For a C8, I would go through the same thing again.

Note that I do have a second set of wheels (Cray Brickyards) for my all season tires, so I didn't have to leave my car precariously on jack stands.

I realize that GM makes its profits on the over inflation of the prices of options. But $500 extra for black paint, and then having the buyers dissatisfied with it, did not seem the way to go.

I see GM is still up to the same tricks. Factory black lug nuts on a C8 are $225, while aftermarket black lug nuts are under $50. And you get to keep your old chrome ones.
                      Last edited by Milliwatt Rob; 08-27-2019, 06:16 AM.

Comment

Thanks for all of your comments I will be looking into tis on my Bronz C8 .I am thinking about maybe the same color as the car but a little lighter with a more gold tint.Cheers Jim

Comment

I never realized gm was charging 2600 dollars for their bronze wheels ...thats crazy money for that nonsense...

they are pretty but not 2600 dollars pretty...

powdercoating them bronze definitely makes more sense for five hundred...

i googled it by me and the shop ive used for years comes to the business or house.lljacks up the car takes the wheels dismounts and remounts the tire after the painting or powdercoating ...for six hundred if I remember correctly...

i used them years ago to make my wheels round from pothole hits...

their primary business is with businesses and not really the public so thats why i think they offer the pickup and delivery

just make sure you dont powder coat the centercapa....and you have to tell up front make sure the centercaps fit after powdercoating...

i like fhe full service mount and balance and powdercoating....its there job to deliver the finished product properly

the competition is so great ...in high density areas ...they are climbing over themselves to out do the competition.

not so much with price but rather service....and thats fine...

im stull not sonsure ill powdercoat over paint...

i like black wheels with the paint...it cracks me up...a little touch paint and you cant see the nick at all...

great information...and for tje bronze wheels...seems like a definite...

i still cant believe its a 2600 option...? *** ?

crazy money for these rims...they look good...but make your own for five hundred makes a lot more sense....

Comment

Anyone know what number of coats is best? Our local outfit does one coat, and then charges extra per additional coats.
                            '64 Silver Grey Coupe (custom paint)- still our favorite
                            '77 Black L82 / 4SPD
                            '78 Silver Anniversary L82 / 4SPD
                            '13 White/Blue Diamond 427 60th roadster - favorite late model
                            '14 Black Z51 Coupe
                            '15 Shark Grey Z51 Coupe

'20... Zeus Bronze Coupe, 2LT, GT2 seats, Natural two tone, Body color accents, Pewter wheels- 10/1/20😀 GAME CHANGER

Comment

In Dallas if in my local market my guy does it all in any color 24/48 hours for 400 cash. He removes tire and rebalances too all at that price. I did my M3 in January 2019, before I sold the car.
                              Pictures
                              Click image for larger version  Name:	38CA4C94-8E78-4E2D-B0FA-6950ACCF112C.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	947.1 KB ID:	64477
                              Click image for larger version  Name:	5EEE65F7-4891-42C8-9D84-8B2174013C48.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	3.28 MB ID:	64478

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X