MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Official C8 Owners Manual, Build and Price, Visualizer, Pricing, and Ordering Information

See more
See less

Black Canopy Mashups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Klinn View Post

I believe people were getting quotes of about $500 - $700 to do the whole black canopy look. But that's a lot more work. If you're just adding to an HTC's already black roof and nacelles, that isn't much additional coverage. Just adding a bit more to the C-pillars. So maybe just a couple of hundred bucks??? So long as the wrap you find is an exact match for GM's carbon flash, as some examples were mentioned way on page two I think.
    I don't think I'd want to try to match the GM paint, and get the lines where the wrap and paint join perfect. I'd be more inclined to order in body color and wrap the whole thing. $500 to $700 is still a lot cheaper than paying for GM's option + wrapping. Thanks.
    SunKissed, my 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible (One of about 40)

Purchased 5/2/2015,
    >36,000 miles

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out http://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

• Originally posted by meyerweb View Post

I don't think I'd want to try to match the GM paint, and get the lines where the wrap and paint join perfect. I'd be more inclined to order in body color and wrap the whole thing. $500 to $700 is still a lot cheaper than paying for GM's option + wrapping. Thanks.
      Agree 100 percent. No one will be able to duplicate the factory finish without taking everything apart and spending huge amounts of time and talent to make it look good and long-lasting.

Comment

Oops, sorry for the slow reply, but I temporarily forgot about your request.

Anyway, here's the pic. The black roof looks kind of weird with the left side being sorta matte finish and the right being shiny, but that's how GM's Build & Price site shows it. The wing was a challenge to convert to Sebring Orange because from this angle you saw a lot of sparkles in the original Carbon Flash finish. That turned into colored noise when converted so I did some other filtering and adjusting to try to make it look semi-decent.

Hope this helps!

Click image for larger version Name:	CorvetteC8-Requested-LSECO-Top-01-Medium.jpg Views:	0 Size:	199.2 KB ID:	128904

BTW, for those of you wondering why the engine cover vent isn't black, that's because LSECO ordered the body color exterior trim option. On a 'vert, that includes making the vent body color.
        Any chance of my S.O. HTC a-pillars and top of glass in orange ? Connect lower front facia with orange connector ?
        T.I.A.
        GM should have consulted you about utilizing some of your options.
        C8er

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	CorvetteC8-Requested-LSECO-Rear-01-Medium.jpg
Views:	425
Size:	166.1 KB
ID:	121364

Click image for larger version Name:	CorvetteC8-Requested-LSECO-Top-01-Medium.jpg Views:	0 Size:	199.2 KB ID:	128904
          Klinn, since you seem to enjoy doing these ( I hope), could you do a version of these two with the HTC down? No rush.

Thanks!
          SunKissed, my 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible (One of about 40)

Purchased 5/2/2015,
          >36,000 miles

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out http://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org

Comment

• Staring at Baja 405's awesome images from his "Klinnstyle" (tm) implementation, as well as this awesome render, it finally struck me what it is that pushes my buttons so much:
            Click image for larger version  Name:	fetch?id=80094&d=1570546237.jpg Views:	0 Size:	144.1 KB ID:	130703 This car has so many angular body bits and Klinn's mashup takes and enhances the curvature of the side window, carrying it along the sail panel to soften the sharpness of the body panels.

Well done, Klinn, well done....

Comment

• Originally posted by meyerweb View Post
              Klinn, since you seem to enjoy doing these ( I hope), could you do a version of these two with the HTC down? No rush. Thanks!
              Sure thing. I've also made the body accents black since IIRC that's your preference.

Click image for larger version  Name:	CorvetteC8-Requested-LSECO-Top-01b-Medium.jpg Views:	0 Size:	212.3 KB ID:	130705

Still looks strange to me to see the left nacelle kinda matte finish, but blame GM's renders, not me.

Click image for larger version  Name:	CorvetteC8-Requested-LSECO-Rear-01b-Medium.jpg Views:	0 Size:	171.6 KB ID:	130706

I'm not sure the base of the canopy line flows quite as well without the shape of the roof being there to reinforce to solid enclosure. Or maybe I'm just being fussy. Edit: Rats, forgot to transfer the black air exhaust vents over, so they're still body-color. Oh well.

Originally posted by jlc41 View Post
              Hi Klinn, I was wondering if you could possibly do a two tone ELB body with a Rapid blue top. Thanks in advance. Joe
              No problem. I tried out a similar darker / lighter combo earlier using Long Beach Red and Torch Red, but didn't try the blue scheme. Here you go:

Click image for larger version  Name:	CorvetteC8-Requested-JLC41-Front-01-Medium.jpg Views:	0 Size:	139.4 KB ID:	130708

Click image for larger version  Name:	CorvetteC8-Requested-JLC41-Rear-01-Medium.jpg Views:	0 Size:	153.8 KB ID:	130707

I'm not real happy with the result. Felt the same way about the 2-tone red render I tried earlier. The canopy scheme just doesn't lend itself to that kind of mixture. In my opinion anyway, if you love it, go nuts!
              Last edited by Klinn; 03-24-2020, 08:05 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nitrobrother View Post
                Staring at Baja 405's awesome images from his "Klinnstyle" (tm) implementation, as well as this awesome render, it finally struck me what it is that pushes my buttons so much. This car has so many angular body bits and Klinn's mashup takes and enhances the curvature of the side window, carrying it along the sail panel to soften the sharpness of the body panels.
                Nice design analysis NitroBrother. I must confess a preference for voluptuous curves rather than angled edges so maybe that's what influenced the style.

BTW instead of "Klinnstyle" I was thinking of the Klinn Kanopy -- extra K's for that George Barris Kalifornia Kustom feel.

Comment

• Maybe your black canopy, (top down), might look better with body color windshield surround... I hope.
                  Thanks Klinnwerks.
                  C8er

Comment

I'm not sure the base of the canopy line flows quite as well without the shape of the roof being there to reinforce to solid enclosure. Or maybe I'm just being fussy. Edit: Rats, forgot to transfer the black air exhaust vents over, so they're still body-color. Oh well.
                    Thanks Klinn! That (how the line flows w/o the roof) is what I was wondering about. I agree it looks better with the roof up, but I still think this design looks better, a lot better, than GM's half-black approach. On a vert, I think I might leave the a-pillars and windshield header body color. Or maybe not.

No worries on the rear vents. I know what they look like in black.

Purchased 5/2/2015,
                    >36,000 miles

Comment

• Ceramic Matrix Gray with black top with thin racing stripes from front to the back. Click image for larger version

Name:	CeramicMatrixGrey_BlackTop_WideSplitStrips.png
Views:	70
Size:	654.4 KB
ID:	131199
                      I do like the stripes on the back flowing from the vent edges. I like the width of the stripes on the hood but to be thin they do go over the front angular bits in the front there. Not sure how it would work out it the reality. Thoughts?

Comment

• Couple other variations:

Name:	CeramicMatrixGrey_BlackTop_CenterStripOnHood_SplitOnBack.png
Views:	71
Size:	614.0 KB
ID:	131202Click image for larger version

Name:	CeramicMatrixGrey_BlackTop_ThinSplitOnBack_FatSplitOnHood.png
Size:	581.6 KB
ID:	131203

Name:	CeramicMatrixGrey_BlackTop_SplitOnBack.png
Size:	583.7 KB
ID:	131204
                        Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by Dante View Post
                          Ceramic Matrix Gray with black top with thin racing stripes from front to the back. I do like the stripes on the back flowing from the vent edges. I like the width of the stripes on the hood but to be thin they do go over the front angular bits in the front there. Not sure how it would work out it the reality. Thoughts?
                          Cool ideas! 👍

Just my opinion, but I think you were on track with your first example. If you have a pair of medium width stripes in the back, then stripes out front are needed to provide continuity of the design. Perhaps just a more traditional pair of straight stripes up the center of the hood to the windshield? Although it misses the cool concept you have of "growing" them out of the perimeter of the canopy. Dunno.

Have fun!

Comment

• Wow, I totally missed your blue-on-blue renders, but a few thoughts: One thing that used to be done among custom car builders (think '50s and Harry Bradley) is that by painting the roof a lighter color, you visually reduce the height of the car, as evidenced by the front-3/4 image. However, I'm not sure a C8 needs to be painted like a '50 Merc! One of the unfortunate things about the coupe is that there are too many lateral lines in the roof that breaks up the image when using light colors. A good experiment, but like you said, different strokes...

For Dante's renders, what's interesting to me is that it looks like he's kept a bit of body color on the edges of the roof panel and a small sliver (of silver!*) along the sail panel/C pillar. I'd like him to do a side or 3/4 side rendering to see what it looks like. The other note is that the angular front stripes - images 1 and 3 - make the front hood appear shorter. I don't know if that's good or not, just making an observation. Pulling the rear stripes (image 4) out of the vents is way cool...I may play with tapering those into narrower stripes and having a wider stripe coming out of the center (as in Klinn's overhead renders) to create a narrow-wide-narrow racing stripe ala 1960's Triumphs.

* OK, actually CMG, but you get the idea...
                            Last edited by Nitrobrother; 03-26-2020, 06:24 PM.

Comment

• The light blue on blue reminds me of my Dad's '62 Rambler, with light green roof on metallic green body. The Rambler didn't excite me, and neither does this.

Purchased 5/2/2015,
                              >36,000 miles

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X