Clay model in aero video

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clay model in aero video

What is this model, and why do they have it in the video of the C8?

Click image for larger version

Name:	C8 Clay.JPG
Views:	2950
Size:	114.7 KB
ID:	53192
    2020 Convertible, Torch Red, 2LT, NPP, Natural, GT1, E60, Q8Q, perpetual status 3000

Exactly. Your guess is just as good as anybody. Could it be past ? Could it be future?
    Rocket City Florida- 2001 ZO6 - 2013 427 Vert - 2020 Stingray

Comment

That side vent looks sleeker than the Stingrays......very nice......
      Black over Sky Cool Gray.....2LT.....Z51.....FE4.....E60.....

Comment

Well I love ME cars, and that also looks way cool
        2020 Convertible, Torch Red, 2LT, NPP, Natural, GT1, E60, Q8Q, perpetual status 3000

Comment

I think it was an early clay when they were still working out the main features. I wonder if the other side has different sculpting? They often do that when this early in the process.

And don't be deceived by the ZR-1 in the background, it could have been in the studio well before its release having final tweaks being done. So the timing may be earlier than you think.

Comment

Originally posted by Meldoon View Post
            That side vent looks sleeker than the Stingrays......very nice......
            The side vent *looks* like a stingray! Squint a bit and you'll see the similarity to the emblem. Personally, I'm glad they didn't get too attached to that concept.

Comment

I made a thread on this before, personally I think it’s a future hp variant.

Comment

Originally posted by CraZ8 View Post
                I made a thread on this before, personally I think it’s a future hp variant.
                I understand your logic, but I find it hard to believe GM would leak anything remotely related to a future product this way.
                Delivered 5/29!: Scarlet Fever 2021 2LT HTC, Red Mist Metallic Tintcoat, two-tone Natural w/ suede inserts, Mag Ride, Performance Exhaust

Gone but not forgotten: SunKissed, 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club: https://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org/

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

I spoke one on one with Kirk Bennion at the Petersen Museum over the weekend. He said they had no less than 30 iterations for the front corner intakes to get them just the way they wanted. I'm sure this clay is one of many they had, and not a future design.
                  Last edited by Chris Draper; 07-30-2019, 02:46 PM.

Comment

Looks like an early clay model. The C7 ZR1 in the background is also a clay model.
                    1966 coupe - Sunfire Yellow / Black
                    2004 Z06 - Millennium Yellow / Black

NCM Lifetime Member since 2003

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Draper View Post
                      I spoke one on one with Kirk Bennion at the Petersen Museum over the weekend. He said they had no less than 30 iterations for the front corner intakes to get them just the way they wanted. I'm sure this clay is one of many they had, and not a future design.
                      GREAT post Chris!!! Excellent info and lucky you to have had that conversion. Kirk loves not just his design times, but as an HPDE instructor himself, loves to spend time in the wind tunnel refining the aero on our Corvettes. As Tadge reported, Kirk was in GM two great wind tunnels over 100 hours just fine tuning the 2019 ZR1. I will ask him at the Bash how many hours he spent inside of them on the C8.

GM has this excellent process for aero, first initial design, then subjecting those designs to a combination of Cray and other computers, superb software, wind tunnels, fine tuning with 3D printing fractionally each small-changed part, testing them again in the wind tunnel, etc. I know that the C7 Stingray/Z06 door mirrors, its spoiler, and its top-of-rear-fender NACA ducts collectively went through that process hundreds of times for the C7 development process.
                      GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X