See less

real c8 uncovered rear?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The release, via Goodwood Festival of Speed is at US$210,000, for the GT. The website, Topspeed.com, confirms this. It will be interesting to find out what one can get for a similar amount with a C8. The GT is outfitted with a Napa leather interior as standard. This is a luxury cruiser! One can opt for full grain leather as well, and later on, McLaren is going to the first car company to offer cashmere, in some way, as an interior fabric. Topspeed says it will hold golf clubs or two sets of skis and boots. I gather McLaren believes it can be all weather functional.

Comment

• As with every mclaren...the option list is long and alluring...

watch the option list on testers...once these supercars grab the attention of those with the means to buy these cars...the options tend to pile on...

many reviews of the 600gt were reaching optioned levels approaching the superior 720s...

i fully expect c8 pricing to be about five grand more than each of the comparable c7 models and again the option list will expand to reap the benefits of ever higher transaction prices...

there really is no way to compare the logic of a mclaren GT to a c8...

i fully expect the c8 grand sport to out track a mclaren as the c7 grand sport equalled it on the vir track...

as far as street coolness....the mclaren will always win...

as far as being a rational daily driver....?

no contest...Gm s 300k validation process makes owning a corvette as a daily driver a slam dunk winner...

(whereas the mclaren as daily driver is a lesson in suicidal tendency's...

I'm kidding of course but GM s devotion to minimal maintaince other than oil changes and tires makes the corvette just a fantastic sports car to own...

to many of us...after the amazing performance and good looks that durability of design is one of the corvettes best attributes...

surprisingly spending more in a ferrari, or lamboghini or mclaren doesnt get you better durability...

it gets you more of a mistress or slave to service....

although these supercars are improving ...the delay in shop for service would be annoying to many...

i think most americans who admire corvettes realize how obtainable they are ...and they admire those who drive them ...where as sometimes the expemsive exotics tend to get noticed but the onlookers tend to know...they are kind of ridiclously priced and are for that reason admired to a degree but also less admired ti a degree...

How many are going to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on cars...

spending even just under a hundred grand is kind of over the top when it comes to common sense...

my neighbor whose rolling 92 years and has a 64 corvette convertible as well as a nice mercedes convertible...is having trouble getting in and out these days...He smiles and say I think the next one Im going to lease...(we both laughed)

he is rare ...but I get it...

at a certain point...it just gets to the point...what the hell...one trip one journey..
      Torch Red exterior/ black interior z51 FE4 2LT or 1LT depending on when i get the call..Ill flip a coin at that moment..same for E60

Comment

• The most glaring statement you made is: GM's devotion to minimal maintenance, other than oil changes and tires, makes the corvette just a fantastic sports car to own...

You are spot on with this! The single biggest reason I'm on Mike Furman's list of buyers is "durability!" I have owned so many German and English cars that I am certain that I could have bought one more with must the "service" money added together.

Comment

• The release, via Goodwood Festival of Speed is at US$210,000, for the GT. The website, Topspeed.com, confirms this. It will be interesting to find out what one can get for a similar amount with a C8.

Probably two C8’s.
          There is a madness to my method!

2015 Z06 Torch/adrenaline
          2001 coupe Torch/oak R8C
          79 coupe Silver/oyster
          All one owner
          Museum lifetime members

Comment

• Who has the patience for a sports car that when used as a daily has to soend its life in the shop for long durations

i want the things I own to serve me and not the other way around...

every six months or six thousand or so miles bring the car in for an oil change ...add gas and go..

enter the garage any time of day or any day of the week....push the starter button and the corvette starts right up...ready to go...

thats a legacy of 60 odd years...

Many of us have over the decades delved into European sports cars that make us realize how valuable durability is...

life is way too busy and way to short to deal with having our european sports cars towed to the dealer on a flatbed and then waiting endlessly for the vehicles to get fixed as those beautiful sunny days pass us by...
            Torch Red exterior/ black interior z51 FE4 2LT or 1LT depending on when i get the call..Ill flip a coin at that moment..same for E60

Comment

• Originally posted by JB View Post
              Who has the patience for a sports car that when used as a daily has to soend its life in the shop for long durations

i want the things I own to serve me and not the other way around...

every six months or six thousand or so miles bring the car in for an oil change ...add gas and go..

enter the garage any time of day or any day of the week....push the starter button and the corvette starts right up...ready to go...

thats a legacy of 60 odd years...

Many of us have over the decades delved into European sports cars that make us realize how valuable durability is...

life is way too busy and way to short to deal with having our european sports cars towed to the dealer on a flatbed and then waiting endlessly for the vehicles to get fixed as those beautiful sunny days pass us by...
              Well said. I haven’t had much experience with European sports cars but on a positive note for them my dad had a 72 Jaguar XJ6 that was as reliable as anything. Drove it for years with few problems in all weather as his daily driver. I inherited it and just got rid of it a couple of years ago.
              There is a madness to my method!

2015 Z06 Torch/adrenaline
              2001 coupe Torch/oak R8C
              79 coupe Silver/oyster
              All one owner
              Museum lifetime members

Comment

• There are always exceptions to every rule. I happen to prefer GM s 300k mile validation process that over the years proves to deliver a much greater seamless ownership experience as the warranty expires etc.

GM tends to want to prove its quality with operational fitness and durability that often transcends the appearance of quality many european brands project within their interior fit and finish...

again its just my experiences and my opinion...

your opinion of course may vary based off your fine experiences.
                Last edited by JB; 07-10-2019, 12:52 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by ltomn View Post
                  The most glaring statement you made is: GM's devotion to minimal maintenance, other than oil changes and tires, makes the corvette just a fantastic sports car to own...

You are spot on with this! The single biggest reason I'm on Mike Furman's list of buyers is "durability!" I have owned so many German and English cars that I am certain that I could have bought one more with must the "service" money added together.
                  I’ve had a 16 Jaguar F type and only had to replace the battery under warranty last week. Bought it used last year. Still has full coverage until November 2021. Maintenance included. Carfax only shows oil changes.
                  Last edited by MikeC8; 07-10-2019, 01:34 PM.
                  RED ,C8. 2LT Z51.black wheels and trim. .... Order status 3000 TPW 2/24

Comment

• That supercharged v8 jaguar f thpe is a sweet ride. They also soundd great as the run down the highway.

my new neighbor has a sweet black coupe with the numbers 400 on the back bumper area...

i assume thats a variant of the supercharged v6 and its sweet.

congrats on having one of the most beautiful sports cars on the planet.

ive test driven the f thpe and its a wonderful ride.

all that said longer term I put my confidence in GM products long term.

jmo

Comment

• Originally posted by JB View Post
                      congrats on having one of the most beautiful sports cars on the planet.
                      No kidding. The first time I saw an F-type it was the back end of a white coupe. Now, I usually don't care for white cars, but that thing was drop-dead gorgeous. Sadly the V8 is a bit beyond my means. Too bad, since it sounds so nice.

Comment

• Originally posted by Klinn View Post

No kidding. The first time I saw an F-type it was the back end of a white coupe. Now, I usually don't care for white cars, but that thing was drop-dead gorgeous. Sadly the V8 is a bit beyond my means. Too bad, since it sounds so nice.
                        A little off-topic but will bring it back quickly.

I almost purchased a new 2017 F-Type R last year. The engine note was incredible and my only complaint was the steering as it felt a little vague compared to cars I have owned in the past. That was my only negative other than the entry price was very high.

Another call-out about reliability and my personal experience owning higher-end modern-day Euro sports cars. I have owned a lot of European cars & just sold a 2010 e90 BMW V8 DCT M3 with 20,213 miles on her. Also had an R8, many Porches and other higher-end sports cars that I rather not point out. Today’s exotic cars are so much more reliable than the bad rap many give them. I am talking about 200k plus sports cars with demanding customers that expect perfection, these people are not easy to please (Celebrities, professional sports players and so on) I feel that the past service issues from the old days are haunting them. Ferrari, Mclaren, Lamborghini, Jaguar, Porsche are very reliable cars with many having very few or no issue during ownership. I think another issue is once a high-end car falls out of warranty, and a wear & tear items fail, It’s not cheap to fix and catches the 2nd or 3rd buyer off guard. I ask myself why would I expect a 200k plus sports car to be cheap to fix, it cost over 200k and those parts are not easily replaced.

I keep reading a lot of negative information about other mid-engine cars and their reliability issues by people that have never owned these cars. I have owned many and most of them have been as reliable as a Honda or a Toyota. If you think about it car manufacturers today have to make a better more reliable product, if they don’t social media and dealership surveys will destroy their business.

FIRST EVER NEW mid-Engine Corvette less than 8 days away, Wow 😮Just wow.
                        Last edited by Fasttoys; 07-11-2019, 04:40 PM.

Comment

• You nailed it ....when out of warranty, the maintaince costs rise dramatically as does the frequency of visits to the repair shop...whereas GM s 300k validation process tends to preclude anything more than oil changes even out of factory warranty when used as daily drivers.

the question is durability long term as daily drivers...

weekend toys anything goes

Comment

• My complaint about Euro sports cars and Euro cars in general is not that they don't have good durability or reliability! It's the every few months visit to the dealership to do "Service A" or "Service B" or more, depending on how long you own it. These scheduled service calls are expensive for most cars! Many well exceeding $1,000.00 and. The dealership calls them, "preventive maintenance." These service requirements do not exist on many American made cars. It's not the amount, or need, of the service, it's the fact that the car company puts these requirements into your contract, effectively, to insure that the dealership gets some service income after the sale. One could do the work themselves, if one were of that capacity but dominantly, the service calls take special electronics to perform. It's quite annoying! You wouldn't do it because the car is running fine but are required to do it.

Comment

• I think that this is another important way that the mid engine Corvette will distinguish itself from its competitors.
                              GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5ZZ high wing; 5VM vis CF ground effects pkg; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards. Separately getting from my dealer RCC Edge Red engine cover and 5JR vis CF mirror caps.

Lifetime, annual contributors, and 20+ year members of National Corvette Museum.

Comment

• Originally posted by ltomn View Post
                                My complaint about Euro sports cars and Euro cars, in general, is not that they don't have good durability or reliability! It's the every few months visit to the dealership to do "Service A" or "Service B" or more, depending on how long you own it. These scheduled service calls are expensive for most cars! Many wells exceeding $1,000.00 and. The dealership calls them, "preventive maintenance." These service requirements do not exist in many American made cars. It's not the amount, or need, of the service, it's the fact that the car company puts these requirements into your contract, effectively, to ensure that the dealership gets some service income after the sale. One could do the work themselves if one were of that capacity but dominantly, the service calls take special electronics to perform. It's quite annoying! You wouldn't do it because the car is running fine but are required to do it.
                                Once again not trying to be that guy just want to focus on facts. All BMW come with free maintenance for 4 years 50k miles when buying from BMW dealer new. Audi on all their cars first service is free and for an Audi R8 a 212k loaded out version, Audi care that is all maintenance till 50k miles is only 1,200 dollars or less. If you want it for the next 50k miles going to 100k miles it’s another 1000 dollars. These programs are based off service intervals yearly regardless of the miles so all service is performed if you have a museum piece sitting in the garage.

Also, many of these exotic cars come with a 3 years unlimited mile warranty. Like Austin Matin and so on.

All Ferrari”s come with
                                FREE- GENERAL
                                MAINTENANCE FOR
                                FIRST SEVEN YEARS
                                OF THE CAR’S LIFE

The scheduled routine maintenance plan offered for the first 7 years of the life of all Ferrari cars is called Genuine Maintenance. This exclusive service covers an extensive period, serving as proof of the excellent quality of Prancing Horse cars. Ferrari did this for many reasons with one to make sure their cars are being maintained properly and not have some cheap owner not taking care of the car.

Just letting you you know the warranty and manufacturers have changed to address the customers concerns that pay for these very expensive cars.

Quick note: I can buy a BMW new cheaper than a Chevrolet Cruise and it would be cheaper to own since the maintenance is paid for and the resale value is worth more when I unload it. I am not bashing just putting things in perspective.

I buy what I like at that time and not loyal to any particular brand. I do think the C8 ME will be a big hit, but for the guy who can drop 200k plus on a car without an impact financially to them, it’s not going to change their mind. I am a bargain shopper and no matter what I purchase I look at what it will cost me over the term of ownership, That is the key for me. Some people I know purchased a GT4 Porsche new after 12k miles and two years of ownership the car is selling for MSRP or higher which is not a bad thing.

A ME C8 with a V8 will be a bargain for this segment, the closest new car that has a Mid-engine would cost you well over 200k, that alone is a winning strategy for GM.
                                Last edited by Fasttoys; 07-11-2019, 04:41 PM.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X