C8 vs 2020 Porsche 718 Cayman GT4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• C8 vs 2020 Porsche 718 Cayman GT4

John had a really great post recently about how Chevy is gunning to get conquest sales on the C8 from competing brands like Porsche, McLaren etc.
    Since the Porsche 718 Cayman GT4 was just announced I thought it would be interesting to look at the hottest mid-engine Porsche and see it stacks up against the C8.

Do you think that Chevrolet will finally win over some Porsche buyers who are priced out of the market?

I'll be at the C8 reveal with John. Anything you particularly want me to cover in my video? I'll have it up on the 19th.

Weekly sports car news
    https://www.youtube.com/revmatchtv

Thanks Eric, Interesting thought on the Side Intake. I'm wondering what FVS , Chazcron and Bdsvavars think?
    Rocket City Florida- 2001 ZO6 - 2013 427 Vert - 2020 Stingray

Comment

I'm 23 and although Porche's are nice, I'd much rather have a Corvette.

​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Bluevette View Post

​​​
        I wouldn't mind both quite honestly!
        Weekly sports car news

Comment

Originally posted by Frenzy36 View Post
          Thanks Eric, Interesting thought on the Side Intake. I'm wondering what FVS , Chazcron and Bdsvavars think?
          Chazcron said a while ago he's just working directly from the camouflage cars and interpreting those closely. The side intake and whole rear fender area camo is EXTREMELY misleading. The fact that they can alter it at will tells you that the underlying shape from the back of the door into the rear fender is nothing like what the camo implies. I think we will all be pleasantly (I hope) surprised.
          Weekly sports car news

Comment

I look forward to meeting you Eric at the reveal. And, I can not wait for your 7.18.19 video.

The Porsche GT4 will be one outstandingly engineered car. Candidly it had better be, for when I built mine on what is our best pricing estimates and articles, I was over $135K, for less than 400 FT TQ. Yet, it will deservedly sell about 1 for every 8 Corvette ME’s sold next year. Even combining 718 and 911 buyers, the C8 will outsell them by about 3 to 1.

I have zero doubts that 718 GT4 will make every one of its owners truly very happy, and again I believe it will do so many things excellently, e.g., be one more great quality Porsche (said with admiration primarily for its engineering and its execution). Just not my personal cup of tea.

One very interesting Cars-and-Coffee last September, I met three 911 owners (one who was on his 4th one, one his 5th and one his 7th). They all said that for the first time in their lives, they are seriously considering buying a Corvette, but only considering the mid engined 2020 (for each it would be their first Corvette). When I asked them how come they were possibly leaving Porsche, two identical answers came forward from every one of the three of them, including “Porsche pricing is out of control,” and also they were very intrigued with what the C8 was going to be (looks, performance, etc). Re their comment that Porsche pricing was out of control, they made their comment before they knew that the 2020 911 has a $7,000 price increase, and second, they were then estimating the starting price of the C8 at $80K. I built a 2020 911 the other day, and leaving about $10,000 worth of options off the table, I was still over $175,000 for 443 HP and 393 TQ. That is not an appealing equation in my book

There is definitively an opportunity for the ME to bring about many brand conquests, and to lower the average age of Corvette buyers.

BTW, the average age of a 718 buyer is 47 years of age; the average age of a 911 buyer is 51 years of age, and the average age of a buyer of a new Corvette is now 61 years old. A bigger disparity is income levels, with the average income of a 911 buyer being $313,000, the average income of a 718 buyer being $241,000 and I am not positive but believe the average income of a new Corvette buyer is around $130,000.

Going to be an interesting next few years. My guess is that every GT4 made will be gobbled up, and every ME Corvette made will also be gobbled up. Both will be fantastic!

​​​​Great time, with great sports cars, for folks with very different tastes.
            GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

We live in the golden age of sports cars. Did I not hear that about 40 years ago too.

Thank you RevMatch.

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post
                I look forward to meeting you Eric at the reveal. And, I can not wait for your 7.18.19 video.

One very interesting Cars-and-Coffee last September, I met three 911 owners (one who was on his 4th one, one his 5th and one his 7th). They all said that for the first time in their lives, they are seriously considering buying a Corvette, but only considering the mid engined 2020 (for each it would be their first Corvette). When I asked them how come they were possibly leaving Porsche, two identical answers came forward from every one of the three of them, including “Porsche pricing is out of control,” and also they were very intrigued with what the C8 was going to be (looks, performance, etc). Re their comment that Porsche pricing was out of control, they made their comment before they knew that the 2020 911 has a $7,000 price increase, and second, they were then estimating the starting price of the C8 at $80K. I built a 2020 911 the other day, and leaving about $10,000 worth of options off the table, I was still over $175,000 for 443 HP and 393 TQ. That is not an appealing equation in my book

​​​​Great time, with great sports cars, for folks with very different tastes.
                John, indeed Porsche pricing has gotten really out of hand and out of step with the rest of the market. I don't fault Porsche for doing it. They are in this to make money. However, I agree that getting into a new, nicely optioned 911 is really not that appealing financially anymore. They were comparatively cheaper just a few years back. You pay for all that lovely fit and finish.
                Weekly sports car news

Comment

I am so pleased that the paint on our C7’s improved greatly since the new paint shop came on line. Already we see a positive Corvette fit-n-finish from that alone. Secondly, let us hope that C8 panel gaps, inside and outside, improve as much from C7’s to C8’s as they did from C6’s to C7’s (the latter from a designed 5MM to 3MM).

I have confidence the C8’s F-n-F would be a further improvement. That would be major feather in Corvette’s cap.
                  GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

Originally posted by Frenzy36 View Post
                    I do think the scoop will be much less boxy than the camo images show. Only the door handle "lip" should extend onto the door and will likely flair out and over the fender and wheel well. I am sure it will transition well and be very harmonious with the rest of the car.

I am looking forward to the reveal with great anticipation.

If anyone wants to send me an actual image ahead of time, I promise not to say a word!

Comment

Originally posted by fvs View Post

I do think the scoop will be much less boxy than the camo images show. Only the door handle "lip" should extend onto the door and will likely flair out and over the fender and wheel well. I am sure it will transition well and be very harmonious with the rest of the car.

I am looking forward to the reveal with great anticipation.

If anyone wants to send me an actual image ahead of time, I promise not to say a word!
                      here you go....

I hope, except with rear view mirrors.

Comment

those side scoops would totally fit under that fake one, and make the car look twice as good easy.

Comment

THANK YOU ERIC. Porsche has a problem. The total sales for the Cayman and the Boxster were under 6,000 units last year. I feel GM is aiming for 40,000 units first year.
                          I like the input and rendering offered. Ifeel this is closer to anything we have seen. I have been saying it would be nice to see a rendering with without the obvious delte of the jagged door scoop. ERIC,, SO LOOKING FORWARD TO YOUR VIDEO ON 7 / 19 / 2019

Comment

Originally posted by Bluevette View Post

​​​
                            History repeating itself, in 2015 I was between the Cayman GT4 and the Alfa Romeo 4c. The car was to see a great deal of track duty. The GT4 came only as a manual, the 4c was the chosen one.
                            LT2; Ceramic Gray Metallic; HTM Trim Jet Black; T19 Seat Belt Color Black; AE4 Seat Competition Sport Bucket; E60 Front Lift; Q8Q 5-open spoke Carbon Flash; FE4 Suspension Z51 Magnetic Selective Ride Control; Z51 Performance package
                            Delivered September 16, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by TOMDOM69 View Post

here you go....

I hope, except with rear view mirrors.
                              If it looks like this, I will be thrilled!
                              Weekly sports car news

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X