Adnimation ATF

Collapse

MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 3 < >

CORVETTE TODAY #121 - Corvette News & Headlines, Mid August 2022

The world of Corvette is really heating up with the release of pricing for the C8 Z06. Your CORVETTE TODAY host, Steve Garrett and Keith Cornett from CorvetteBlogger are back with the most current Corvette news and headlines. https://youtu.be/QRAUz6Att0k; https://podcasts.adorilabs.com/corve...jnmYV0amyIoQR2
Here are a few of the topics discussed in this week’s show….
1.Chevrolet offering C8 Z06 buyers $5,000 in rewards for not “flipping” their car
2.GM limits the warranty transferability of the C8 Z06 to people who flip their cars
3.The C8 Z06 Order Guide is now available for download
4.FBI raids a Chinese-owned company that makes aluminum wheels for GM
5.Spring Mountain is back open after a flash flood covered the track with sand & debris
6.Our "Corvette Insider" Manny Katakis is back with insider information!
7.Lingenfelter introduces high performance CAI for the C8
8.The first 35th Anniversary Callaway C8 arrives at Ciocca Chevrolet
2 of 3 < >

Find out your C8’s Order Status by asking!

Information provided to MidEngineCorvetteForum members, and with great thanks to Corvette Ed for answering your inquiry requests in our sticky’d “The C8 Order Inquiry Status Thread” in our “Purchasing Section.”https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...inquiry-thread
3 of 3 < >

2023 Corvette Info Including SR Pricing, SR 2023 Visualizer, 70th Anniversary SR/Z06 Press Release; The C8 Z06 Press Release, Order Guide & Its Visualizer Link

See more
See less

Video of C8 Corvette Acceleration on a Detroit Highway

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I appreciate the discourse and links / documentation of information that furthers the discourse and discussion. It's quite helpful if you readily know where the information is to link to it or post it up so that others may read it and be informed.

Comment

Originally posted by electroVette View Post
      Having 8 speeds is where the ZF rumor started since only ZF have publicly announced an 8 speed DCT. That R&T writer did one lazy google search and never clicked beyond the first page of results.
      This discussion has been going on for a year and a half now, ever since the first CAD images leak. We have never had confirmation of the provenance or date on the CAD image showing a ZF trans. It's quite possible that GM looked at a ZF trans in the early stages, but authoritative sources like Don Sherman have stated it's Tremec, as well as there being plenty of other evidence like the presentation photo above, and the investment that Tremec has made in the US. All will be settled at the reveal. Thank goodness.

Google works differently for different people, but my search turned up the C&D piece on P1.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2019-05-20 at 8.22.40 AM.png
Views:	202
Size:	282.6 KB
ID:	37095

2020 C8 Corvette.D.O.B 2/03/2020
      Shadow Grey Metallic on Black
      2LT, Z51 + MRC. GT1 seats.
      Spectra Grey Tridents.
      Carbon flash mirrors and spoiler.

Comment

Oh, that's right, one of the CAD images does show a ZF transaxle. Another image shows a different transaxle. Maybe they designed for both so if Tremec ran into issues the ZF could be used?

Attached Files
        Last edited by electroVette; 05-20-2019, 08:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post
          If the thesis above posted above that adding more gears overrides any gains made in performance and efficiency, why did Corvette not stay with the 2014 six speed automatic transmission, and why is GM for its Camaro, pickups and SUV’s now increasingly going to ten speeds?
          I didn't mean to imply that adding more gears is *never* worth it, just that at some level we'll be reaching the point of diminishing returns.

Dunno where that point lies, and I guess it must vary depending on the application. As an extreme example, consider commercial trucks with 18-speed transmissions to compensate for their narrow power band. Cars, and Corvettes in particular, have a much wider power band and I'd be surprised if our transmissions ever get to that level of complexity.

Comment

Oh, that's right, one of the CAD images does show a ZF transaxle. Another image shows a different transaxle. Maybe they designed for both so if Tremec ran into issues the ZF could be used?

GM would have had to sort out the major dimensions of the transmission package very early on, so it's reasonable to think they would have looked at what options were available at the time (whenever that was), and done some virtual test fits, in order to come up with a set of specifications for the new trans. And then given them to Tremec.
            Spectra Grey Tridents.

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post

As to Corvettes alone, we have seen the Corvette go from four gears, to six gears and starting in 2015 to eight gears.

Here’s GM latest press release on going to eight gears on the Corvette with it explicitly noting the efficiencies of adding more gears to the Corvette’s auto trans.
              It seems that your question is addressed to Klinn but without being a fuel economy expert by any means, I will chime in. The narrower a rev band for a given engine, the more gears that are needed. The past and current Corvette engines with lots of torque at low rpm do not need more than 6 gears including one for comfortable cruising IMHO. Is the C-8 coming with a high revving engine with no beans in the low end? Possible but not probable. Automatic transmissions may be better suited for multiple gears
              Last edited by Maxster; 05-20-2019, 04:35 PM.
              LT2; Ceramic Gray Metallic; HTM Trim Jet Black; T19 Seat Belt Color Black; AE4 Seat Competition Sport Bucket; E60 Front Lift; Q8Q 5-open spoke Carbon Flash; FE4 Suspension Z51 Magnetic Selective Ride Control; Z51 Performance package
              Delivered September 16, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Bikerjulio View Post

GM would have had to sort out the major dimensions of the transmission package very early on, so it's reasonable to think they would have looked at what options were available at the time (whenever that was), and done some virtual test fits, in order to come up with a set of specifications for the new trans. And then given them to Tremec.
                Too bad that slide doesn't have a clearer view of Tremec's transaxle so we could compare it to the ones from the CAD images. Not that it's so hard to wait a few more weeks - but I kind of like solving the riddle.

Comment

Too bad that slide doesn't have a clearer view of Tremec's transaxle so we could compare it to the ones from the CAD images. Not that it's so hard to wait a few more weeks - but I kind of like solving the riddle.
                  I would think that the Tremec make$ more $en$e than the ZF.
                  LT2; Ceramic Gray Metallic; HTM Trim Jet Black; T19 Seat Belt Color Black; AE4 Seat Competition Sport Bucket; E60 Front Lift; Q8Q 5-open spoke Carbon Flash; FE4 Suspension Z51 Magnetic Selective Ride Control; Z51 Performance package
                  Delivered September 16, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Maxster View Post

It seems that your question is addressed to Klinn but without being a fuel economy expert by any means, I will chime in. The narrower a rev ban for a given engine, the more gears that are needed. The past and current Corvette engines with lots of torque at low rpm do not need more than 6 gears including one for comfortable cruising IMHO. Is the C-8 coming with a high revving engine with no beans in the low end? Possible but not probable. Automatic transmissions may be better suited for multiple gears
                    I'm agreeing with you. My C6 has 6 speeds and that's plenty for a manual trans matched to that engine. 3rd will get me well into 'arrest me" territory here. I rarely use 6th as well. Any more than 6 and it's a PITA in a manual IMO.

The GM marketing piece on the 8-speed is not convincing to me. Maybe they get better "highway mileage" but it's not because it has 8 speeds. That rating is at a steady 70 MPH and any speed trans could be configured with the same final drive ratio.

I'll accept that there must be some mileage advantage with 7, 8 or 10 speeds, but then an auto trans almost becomes a requirement as well.
                    Spectra Grey Tridents.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X