Adnimation ATF

Collapse

MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

2023 Corvette Info Including SR Pricing, SR 2023 Visualizer, 70th Anniversary SR/Z06 Press Release; The C8 Z06 Press Release, Order Guide & Its Visualizer Link

See more
See less

70th Anniversary Design Package Components?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 70th Anniversary Design Package Components?

The ‘23 Stingray and the Z06 will get this option. But might it have some option code requisite(s) in order to then select it?

Harlan shared with us at last Sept 3rd’s NCM event that there will be 70th Anniversary Design Package, specifically by his noting past history about comparable moments for past notable Corvette anniversaries of our 1953 starting of our Corvettes. Of course he properly did not tell us what would be any of its the components.

At the October 26th Z06 reveal, we were shown the Easter egg “70” etched into the hatch glass. So do we concretely know one of the Design Package components? Not really, for if something is standard on every Z06, it is not going to be considered part of the 70th Anniversary Design Package. However, not just the Z06 but EVERY 2023 Stingray will also have the special window Easter egg (pictured below).

This is my first and only prediction as to what all 70th Anniversary Design Package C8’s will have:

Click image for larger version  Name:	908826E1-29CC-401A-8A49-C8FD30D96FAF.jpg Views:	0 Size:	33.7 KB ID:	343149

Where did this come from? What might it mean?

This was is a single frame print from this October 20th, GM Z06 teaser video entitled “2023 Chevrolet Corvette Z06: Tune In.”

Most of us felt we would next see it on the reveled Z06’s. Yet when the next and last Z06 pre-reveal teaser video came out immediately before the reveal, tens of thousands’ eyes peered to see if that embroidery was on Emilia Hartford’s and/or Z06 driver and Corvette NVH Engineer Cindy Molnar’s headrest. It was on neither, and when at the reveal the following week it was again not on either the standard Z06 nor the Z07 versions there, that singular frame of four GM teaser videos spanning all the way back to last summer was pretty much forgotten.

But then by chance, I re-found my pre-reveal notes and pictures and then putting two things together when I remembered a key and enjoyable part of the 60th Anniversary Design Package, and nicely at least to me, 2 + 2 = 4. I am now wagering that all 2023, 70th Anniversary Design Package cars will have this embroidered on its headrests, of course with a number change to “70” on its headrests; that the below picture is obviously from the 60th Anniversary Design Package Corvettes.

Click image for larger version  Name:	9D960F97-E121-4ED4-B160-90A1DA896526.jpg Views:	0 Size:	690.2 KB ID:	343156

That would be a nice visual treatment to have “70” and the Corvette victory emblem flag embroidered on the upcoming 70th Anniversary Design Package headrests.

However there was another place where GM used embroidery to make a nice interior visual statement and that was on the center console armrest of C7 Z06’s.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	2EC43622-4E70-47E5-8433-03F9BDD38E72.jpg Views:	0 Size:	165.5 KB ID:	343152
    Getting back to the anniversary design package themes, there were 2,059, 2013 customers who chose the 60th Anniversary Design Package. It had it own color interior, e.g., two tone blue which is very close to the C8’s two tone blue presentation. It also had special exterior graphics, even its own, unique brake caliper color. Its massive silver stripe will always stand out.

Click image for larger version  Name:	BD260878-6EBD-41AC-84F1-F69F82DC1289.jpg Views:	0 Size:	592.9 KB ID:	343151

Why do I mention this? Might those antecedents give us some clues as what kinds of things we might see returning in some form for the 70th Anniversary DP?

Before we leave the related question what we are going to see on all 2023 Corvettes, here is the “70” Easter egg that will be on every 2023, seen here on the lower edge of the rear hatch glass on the Z07 coupe at the reveal.

Click image for larger version  Name:	EA73F404-CDFA-4EFA-92AC-74F6BC2A3800.jpg Views:	0 Size:	18.3 KB ID:	343150

Quesions for sure we do not know answers to, include:

*What would be the 70th Anniversary Package’s colors (exterior and interior) — or might there be multiple color choices? The leading contender among us Corvette aficionados, for it has been talked about for years, would be Pearlescent Metallic White. BGA Body and Paint Shop Manager Chuck Valentini has verified twice it is possible with the new paint shop; first he did so as far back as in April, 2016 as part of the paint shop’s major construction achievement public event, specifically in his answer to question afterwards, Chuck said Pearl White would be possible in the new paint shop. He said this again this past September at the NCM 27th Event; again in a & A session he stated that Pearl White could be a future Corvette color. If Pearlescent Metallic White were offered for the 70th Anniversary DP exterior, and then what about it repeating the 1953’s 70 year old pattern of it similarly having a red interior. Might the dipped Adrenaline Red recently shown on the C8 Z06 be also destined for it? If so, how about looking at this cousin exotic, for it has that color-pattern we can see it right now?

Click image for larger version  Name:	DA11AE3C-ED72-46A9-863A-318467DDC258.jpg Views:	0 Size:	254.2 KB ID:	343153
    Picture thanks to https://www.instagram.com/shunya1209/

The second exterior color 70th Anniversary exterior color guess is that it would be Carbon Flash; the first and for the only time is used was in the 2012 Chevrolet Corvette Centennial Edition.

*The 60th Anniversary Design Package still gets rave reviews from most. It pioneered many things including for the first time in automotive history that a colored, decorative stripe was woven into its cloth top. While we know that is not going to happen for the 70th model year, might there be some other major components or a different stylistic introduction we have yet to imagine?

*Another question is, would the Design Package be limited in number as we have seen several times and as we have seen all the time on Special Edition Corvettes? 500 is often a number for a special edition (e.g., the two, 500 unit special, first year 2014 “Premier Edition” C7’s). Sometimes instead it is 1,000 units such as just was the total number of the 2022 C8.R Special Editions that were made, yet again as per above, the 60th Anniversary Design package was not GM-limited in number; neither was the 50th Anniversary DP. However in the 2013 model year, GM made the 60th Anniversary Design Package (option code “Z25”) available to all who wanted BUT getting it first had a major pre-requisite that one first had to select one the highest level interior trim level for a model before one could then select the 60th Anniversary DP. Only 1,205 chose it, but interestingly GM also offered both that year a “Grand Sport Heritage Package” (option code “Z15”) which was chosen by 728 customers, and a “427 Heritage Package” (option code “Z15”) which was chosen 691 customers.

Going back further to the 50th Anniversary Package, it was an option available across the board for every customer. It had gorgeous “Xirallic crystal” medium-dark Red metallic paint, with a two-tone gray shale interior. Friends of ours who live in Bowling Green have a convertible 50th and every time we see it, it remains stunning. Well done GM in picking that combination! It had exterior and interior badges that said “50th.” There were 7,310, 50th Anniversary coupes (option code “1SB) and 6,643 Anniversary convertibles (option code “1SC”). In short, color exterior and interior and some badging made it the 50th Anniversary model; it was available across the board to all who wanted it. Note that then was absent the word “Design” in its official nomenclature, e.g., it being the “50th Anniversary Package.”

What else might the 70th Anniversary Design Package C8’s come with? Based on the above and the special edition C7’s and C8’s, might it be a pretty sure bet of it again having some unique exterior graphics, and/or 70th emblem on the rear fascia or elsewhere? Lastly to instantaneously differentiate it from all other 2023’s, could there be a partial color change to where part of the lower front fascia to perhaps some insert of special color components, e.g., sort of echoing the C8.R’s special coloring treatment in that area?

Click image for larger version  Name:	5692F9EB-5E59-470B-99FC-401519E4953A.jpg Views:	0 Size:	157.8 KB ID:	343154

Putting this all in summary, we so far do not know much about the 70th Anniversary Design Package; what exterior and or interior visual components would you either predict, and/or would like to see on it?

Personally, I am betting one one feature for the 70th Anniversary Design Package; imo it is worth repeating. It will have this embroidered on the center armrest cushion or on the upper seat’s headrest!

Click image for larger version  Name:	F0F330FA-867B-41E3-B8CB-917F490FE058.jpg Views:	0 Size:	33.7 KB ID:	343157
    Attached Files
    Z06 coming late this summer: Hypersonic Gray HTC, two tone blue interior, complete high wing/aero package. CCB’s, with every piece of visible carbon fiber available. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 24 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

In 2003, all Corvettes had the 50th anniversary emblems but only the anniversary red cars were 50th anniversary editions. That package was not available on the Z06.

Click image for larger version

Name:	50th emblem.jpg
Views:	1563
Size:	6.3 KB
ID:	343169

Picture is from Roger's Corvettes: https://www.rogerscorvette.com/carNe...=inv/03r_15581

Name:	50th convertible.jpg
Views:	1542
Size:	361.5 KB
ID:	343170
    1966 coupe - Sunfire Yellow / Black
    2004 Z06 - Millennium Yellow / Black

NCM Lifetime Member since 2003

Comment

I'm thinking that 2023 being a major milestone in the history, every 2023 will get some acknowledgment, either in badging or perhaps just a ghost reflection in the glass somewhere on the car. But I suspect a special addition will be offered. Special everything from color to interior, and badging and embroidery. Even a new wheel design. Is it likely the special edition will be a limited production number like the C8.R edition? I think so. So will there be a big reveal of 70th edition? The Z06 will be available the same model year. It's going to be grand. The C8 has everyones attention now, They won't let this anniversary get away without creating a new feeding frenzy for the car.

Comment

Typically, the 'Anniversary Package' was used to stimulate sales as the various generations aged in the marketplace. I really don't see a need to stimulate C8 sales, even in 2023. With that said, Harlan and the marketers may well bring forth a truly limited edition C8 to celebrate the 70th year of production that goes beyond paint, tape and trim. That would be really nice. Note that in the past, many of the 'specials' sold more than any other finish or trim available that year. Again, I don't think the C8 needs that approach yet.... if ever. Unfortunately, it seems too early to use the e-Ray for that role in 2023 but who knows....
        2020 HTC Torch Red with lots of goodies. Built in September. Museum Delivered in October......

Other toys in the garage: Ferrari California, BMW i8 Roadster, Bentley Flying Spur, Chevy SSr

Comment

Maybe that is why they pushed for 670 HP. Or maybe the anniversary ones will have 700 HP. 😂

Comment

The powertrain for the Z06 is locked down at 670 HP — or will be this spring at that amount as they have more testing and development work to do as it take mega millions to start changing the motor even a little. Changing the motor by any amount would requires recalibrating the DCT, the eLSD, the safety systems and more. And mega amount of time which the team will not now devote to the Z06. E-Ray, AR1 and more ahead!

The 70th ADP package will be aesthetics only. It is an option some will adore and others will pass one. My wife and I are very interested. then when it pears we will go thumbs up or p[*** on it.

There will be a 70th Anniverssary Design Package just as Harlan shared at last September’s Anniversary Event.

Thanks brad66 for that correction. I had forgotten the C7 Z06’s were left out of the 50th Anniversary option.
            Z06 coming late this summer: Hypersonic Gray HTC, two tone blue interior, complete high wing/aero package. CCB’s, with every piece of visible carbon fiber available. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 24 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

Great article John. It will be very interesting to see what the designers have in store for the 70th Aniversary model. The Ferrari in the pearlized white is a beatiful color with the red dipped interior. I Just don't like those bright wheels with that color. I would choose the gunmetal gray or black chrome.

Last edited by 455SDguy; 01-02-2022, 10:39 AM.

Comment

Here’s another glowing Pearlescent White — even though it is mostly in the shade. I like its wheels.

Click image for larger version  Name:	77A27E13-AF4A-4B71-98BE-FBA0096C1170.jpg Views:	0 Size:	546.2 KB ID:	343202

Comment

McLaren’s look good in Pearl White too. [They look good however they are painted.]

Name:	767480F9-C9FD-4E33-8586-27F31858F9D4.jpg
Views:	1413
Size:	331.6 KB
ID:	343204

Comment

I have always enjoyed embroidery on the headrest. I hope we see this on the 70th.

Comment

Great history lesson.

I won't pony up for the anniversary package, but I hope for those that do, they limit the package to 2,023 cars. And spread those allocations across the year.

Keep it exclusive (5% or less of production) and charge accordingly.
                      2021 Red Mist HTC / Z51 /Mag Ride / Yellow Calipers / C-Flash Mirrors and Wing / Front Lift / Black 3LT / CF Interior Trim / Yellow Belts and Stitching

Atomic Orange C6. Plenty of engine and suspension mods. Gone, but not forgotten

Member, Old Dominion Corvette Club https://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org/

Comment

Ragtop, I like your idea of limiting it to 2023 cars. However you hit upon one of my concerns, e.g., another cost for our Z06. We are way, way high already and doubt it would be less than $5,000 and perhaps as much as 50% more than that — especially as the 2022 C8.R special edition is a $6,595 cost.

My wife and I love the embroidered headrest but unless there are a lot of other things we also covet, we would pass, .e.g., not worth those mega thousands for some badges and decals even with the lusted after embroidered headrest.

Name:	B0705689-56EC-4BD7-AF4E-BBAD4F16B35C.jpg
Views:	1266
Size:	690.2 KB
ID:	343359

Comment

Easy for me to spend your money, but it seems like you're pretty close to checking all the option boxes, so you might as well check another. A limited trim package on a Z06 might hold its value, although 500+ Z06's with the package might not be rare enough if it is a $7K adder.
                          2021 Red Mist HTC / Z51 /Mag Ride / Yellow Calipers / C-Flash Mirrors and Wing / Front Lift / Black 3LT / CF Interior Trim / Yellow Belts and Stitching

Comment

If only the engine build option were available up front, heck another $5,000 or $,7500. Add it together and I doubt our Z06 will be out the door at $100,000…Or was that $1,000,000?

Comment

Repeat after me: It's still cheaper than buying a 458. It's still cheaper than buying a 458.

If only I could get my wife to accept that logic. LOL.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X