Adnimation ATF

Collapse

MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Corvette Today Podcast: Corvette News/Headlines

With the reveal of the new mid-engine C8 Z06 next week, this CORVETTE TODAY News & Headlines episode is a “must listen-to” podcast! https://podcasts.adorilabs.com/corve...OSfY9cINY1UxSw Your CORVETTE TODAY host, Steve Garrett, teams up again with Keith Cornett from CorvetteBlogger.com to bring you the hottest headlines in the world of Corvette…including the latest on the C8 Z06 reveal on October 26th! Here are a few of the topics covered in this podcast:

1. The C8 Z06 will make public debut at the Petersen Automotive Museum on October 26
2. GM makes a change to 2022 Corvette ordered with Z51 and the high wing
3. C8 Corvette ranked 2nd on the list of the fastest selling cars in September 2021
4. C8 E-Rays are testing in Colorado and outside the Nurburgring in Germany
5. A 95 year old WWII veteran is moved to the head of the line to get his 2022 Corvette
6. Mazzanti to build a Corvette-powered Italian supercar with 761 horsepower
7. A truckload of C8’s goes up in flames
8. Watch a video of BGA building right-hand drive C8 Corvettes

You’ll know everything we know when you listen to this CORVETTE TODAY podcast!

Listen here: https://adori.page.link/corvette-today
Watch CORVETTE TODAY on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXC...lOPPQ/featured
See more
See less

Z06 Having Exclusive Colors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Z06 Having Exclusive Colors

Cross posted with thanks from CorvetteBlogger. If you read almost to the end of his article below, you will get his official take on this question.

Originally posted by CorvetteBlogger
    Are We Going to See Any Exclusive Colors for the C8 Corvette Z06?

By Alex Sommers: Oct 13, 2021

The eighth-generation Corvette Z06, the biggest car reveal of the year, is just under two weeks out. It seems like it’s been an eternity since America’s Favorite Sports Car officially went mid-engined on 7/18/19. Since that date, loyal fans of the Crossed Flags have waited with bated breath to see what is next. The base car’s performance is so brutal that it made everyone wonder what Chevrolet had up their respective sleeve for the hard-core “Z” variants. Here at CorvetteBlogger, we have followed C8Z development like a kettle of hawks. Spy shots, rumors, speculation; we’ve been neck-deep in it! Now, with the day finally approaching, we have one final question (for now, at least). Will the Z06 finally get some exclusive colors added to its paint palette?

An increasingly popular trend in the automotive manufacturing landscape is reserving a handful of unique exterior colors for the models/trim levels at the top of your range. Porsche has been doing this with its RS variants for decades with memorable colors like Pure Orange, Ultraviolet, and Lizard Green. It isn’t just high-end OEMs like Porsche doing this, though. Toyota has employed its own limited paint strategy to keep its aging truck and SUV lineup fresh, with outstanding results. Each year, Japan’s largest automaker releases a couple of interesting or high-impact hues that can only be had by selecting their top-shelf, off-road-focused TRD Pro trim-level for your Tacoma, 4Runner, Tundra, or Sequoia (Army Green, Quicksand, Inferno, Voodoo, all incredible!).
    Since its debut as a stand-alone model in 2001, the Corvette Z06, Chevrolet’s most pure sports car, has leaned the other direction, and that is a real shame! During its first year on sale, the C5 Z06 was only available in five of the base ‘Vette’s nine exterior colors (just imagine how cool and rare a Dark Bowling Green Metallic Z would be today!). The Z’s tendency for a limited palette continued through the rest of the C5’s run in 2004. The C6 version picked up right where its predecessor left off when it debuted for the 2006 model year with Arctic White and Monterey Red noticeably absent from the LS7 monster’s order guide. It wasn’t until 2010 that Z06 buyers were given access to every single color choice that regular Corvette customers had always enjoyed.
    It took nearly a decade of rip-snorting Z06 production for the color pendulum to swing to neutral from its long stint in negative territory. Now, 13-years later, we believe the time is right for the size of the paint section of the Z’s order guide to surpass that of the base Stingray. The great thing is that General Motors already has a gaggle of shades that would both look incredible on the Z and do a good job of differentiating it at cars and coffee events across the nation (and the world).
    Here are a few of our suggestions:

Pewter Metallic
    Since we’ve been talking about C5s, I will start with a C5 color that has been “remixed” for the new Blazer RS. The color in question is Pewter Metallic, and while I’m no fan of the original, the new version is about as close as GM has to one of the hottest colors in the industry; Nardo Gray. This low-key special paint would bring a lot of the same cool, new-age, stealth energy of Toyota’s Lunar Rock TRD color to a supercar that many feel is plenty flashy already but don’t want one of the overworked grayscale paints!
    Photo Credit: Chevrolet

Next, it is time to let the C8Z’s hair down with some fittingly exotic colors!

Krypton Green/Acid Green
    We’ve covered both of these colors before (here and here), and the fact remains that Acid is a Porsche hue, but we stand beside our statement that a Lamborghini-style green is the color that the C8 (especially the upcoming hotter variants) needs! While we are on the topic of green paint, we are also intrigued by the CT5-V Blackwing’s new (and limited) Dark Emerald Frost, but would rather see a bright green hit the market first, even if it is just for one year.

Corvette Racing Yellow
    Does anyone else find it strange that you can’t get a C8 in the same color as the more famous of the two C8.Rs? This recently discontinued color needs to book a reunion tour on the car that shares the racecar’s engine! We understand what Chevy was going for with Accelerate Yellow (read #2 on this list), but the ‘Vette needs a true yellow option too!

People Eater Purple
    Now, I am a huge fan of Chevrolet’s rich and classy purple paints with Black Rose, Dark Cherry, and Alchemy Purple are among my top choices on their respective vehicles, but the C8Z needs a shoutier Purple. And why should Dodge have all of the fun with their paint names? One of the most famous Corvette racers in history warrants its own namesake bright royal purple!
    Photo Credit: Carlisle Events

Others:To answer the question posed in the title of this piece, it is the official stance of CorvetteBlogger that the odds of the Z06 gaining any exclusive colors is doubtful, at best. But, it doesn’t hurt to get the ball rolling. If this idea takes hold of enough minds, it could realistically come to fruition by 2024 or ’25. So, spread the word Corvette Nation; the upcoming trim level of our favorite car deserves some differentiating visual options, and a couple of paints to call its own is the best way to achieve that goal. When you look at the current palette, what glaring omissions do you see? Sound off in the comment section, and maybe Tadge and Co. will end up catching wind of your thoughts!
    https://www.corvetteblogger.com/2021...erm=2021-10-13

GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Hi John,

I just wish they would bring back "Night Race Blue" and "Black Rose Metallic".

I had both of these colors and loved both.

Bob

Comment

You sure had two spectacular colors. My wife and I loved them both!
      GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

Without investing millions to upgrade the paint shop, the only way to have exclusive colors on the Z06 would be to limit the Stingray to 10 colors, instead of 12. Could GM do that? Sure. Will they? I think it's unlikely.

Aside: I was all set to order NRB on my '15, but Mike Furman talked me into DSOM. Didn't regret my decision ever.
        Delivered 5/29!: Scarlet Fever 2021 2LT HTC, Red Mist Metallic Tintcoat, two-tone Natural w/ suede inserts, Mag Ride, Performance Exhaust

Gone but not forgotten: SunKissed, 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club: https://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org/

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

You have raised a very good point both especially as we know that at least based on history, that when GM comes out with an “Anniversary Design Package” as they will for 2023 (the 70th), that they have offered it across the board for all models

So if that 70th color is a new one, would that further effect GM’s willingness to take one away from the Stingray’s pallet in order to give the Z06 an exclusive exterior one? Or is the 70th Anniversary Design Package issue a non-sequitor?

My bet since day one, is that the 70th Anniversary Design Package will be some combination of Pearlescent Metallic White (a 1st) and Adrenaline Red — or perhaps some brand new equally bright and bold red interior. And of course some other special markings.

Comment

The only reason I would buy a new Z06 is if I could get the new green.

Comment

It would be one hell of a lot cheaper to either get your current Stingray painted the perfect green for you or cheaper than that even to have it wrapped in your perfect green.

Comment

While our Black Rose Corvette was my wife's all time favorite, I remain of the opinion that Corvette, and the Z06 in particular, deserves a couple special colors. While the matte colors are particularly contemporary, especially the metallic matte finishes, I'm all for some bright 'in your face' colors. They already have the chartreus (they call it yellow on the C8's) but they need that bright green noted above. They also currently offer Richard Petty Blue which I feel meets the 'in your face' criteria. Orange is also already available. What's missing then are the matte finish alternatives. With the investment in the paint department, they ought to have the capability now.

Much like the high end Euro manufacturers, I believe it's time to put a price tag on the special finishes that will cement their limited availability.... something in the range of $4000 to $7000 would be fine with me. Heck, folks aren't blinking at paying $3000 to $5000 to have 'em wrapped right now and that's only good for about 5 years of normal wear and tear. If you think that's a lot, just think about how much people are paying (in my opinion wasting) for paint correction, ceramic coating, and clear wraps. Bring on the special colors!
                2020 HTC Torch Red with lots of goodies. Built in September. Museum Delivered in October......

Other toys in the garage: Ferrari California, BMW i8 Roadster, Bentley Flying Spur, Chevy SSr

Comment

Originally posted by tooold2race View Post
                  While our Black Rose Corvette was my wife's all time favorite, I remain of the opinion that Corvette, and the Z06 in particular, deserves a couple special colors. While the matte colors are particularly contemporary, especially the metallic matte finishes, I'm all for some bright 'in your face' colors. They already have the chartreus (they call it yellow on the C8's) but they need that bright green noted above. They also currently offer Richard Petty Blue which I feel meets the 'in your face' criteria. Orange is also already available. What's missing then are the matte finish alternatives. With the investment in the paint department, they ought to have the capability now.

Much like the high end Euro manufacturers, I believe it's time to put a price tag on the special finishes that will cement their limited availability.... something in the range of $4000 to $7000 would be fine with me. Heck, folks aren't blinking at paying $3000 to $5000 to have 'em wrapped right now and that's only good for about 5 years of normal wear and tear. If you think that's a lot, just think about how much people are paying (in my opinion wasting) for paint correction, ceramic coating, and clear wraps. Bring on the special colors!
                  Also a lot of the people who wrap their cars also get the benefit of protecting the paint and changing the color back at some point - usually when they sell it.
                  Rocket City Florida- 2001 ZO6 - 2013 427 Vert - 2020 Stingray

Comment

GM’s paint shop, given the special method that all Corvette panels are painted off the car, etc., does not have the capacity of their paint shop to do bespoke colors as what you, I, and many are wanting. The new paint shop took them from a max of 10 to now 12 colors and improved the paint where of GM’s 140 plants it was recently evaluated as the # 1 quality of paint jobs.

That’s all we are going to get in the near future. I too wish there were an pay-for-special-color-option, but in my case it would be a return to a pure yellow such as Millennium, Competition, and Velocity Yellow were.

Comment

I am liking that render of the Green Z06. Throw some bronze wheels on it and call it a day.

Comment

Yes please GM, can we have bronze wheels as an option. They look so terrific on C8’s!

Comment

The only way GM could do custom colors at this point would be to build a separate facility and paint them by hand. That's certainly possible, but not cheap. Porsche gets $12,000 for a bespoke color.
                          Delivered 5/29!: Scarlet Fever 2021 2LT HTC, Red Mist Metallic Tintcoat, two-tone Natural w/ suede inserts, Mag Ride, Performance Exhaust

Gone but not forgotten: SunKissed, 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club: https://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org/

Comment

Why not have the option of primer only...paint delete. This would make it much easier for those who are really into this kind of thing to have their six figure sports car painted beautifully in whatever color floats their boat. Yes, that would require them to find a truly professional custom paint shop, not to mention significantly more money, but for many that's not such a big deal.
                            '64 Silver Grey Coupe (custom paint)- still our favorite
                            '77 Black L82 / 4SPD
                            '78 Silver Anniversary L82 / 4SPD
                            '13 White/Blue Diamond 427 60th roadster - favorite late model
                            '14 Black Z51 Coupe
                            '15 Shark Grey Z51 Coupe

'20... Zeus Bronze Coupe, 2LT, GT2 seats, Natural two tone, Body color accents, Pewter wheels- 10/1/20😀 GAME CHANGER

Comment

^^^
                              GM apparently did that once, for Mary Kay. She wanted a Mary Kay Pink 67 Corvette 427, and GM wasn't set up to be able to do it, so they delivered it to her in primer gray and she had it painted. That car is now in Rick Hendricks' collection, repainted to the original primer gray.

The story the guides at Hendrick's private collection tell is that he has one 67 427 Corvette in every color combination (paint and stinger stripe) that GM offered. Then he heard about the Mary Kay car, and had to find and buy it to make his collection truly complete. His love for the 67 427 is because that's what he was driving when he met his wife and took her on their first date. (At least that's the story they tell.)

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X