Final ME Diffuser Uncovered?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Final ME Diffuser Uncovered?

A while ago we started to see a horizontal “shelf” on the C8 IVERs rear diffuser. It was first thought that its purpose was to keep the camo off the tailpipes, that maybe some of the camo had sagged, then started to smoulder or worse. But the diffuser has kept its shelf, and due to pictures by David McDade yesterday and today, and today’s article by Motor1 (with thanks to both for their approvals to use their materials), are we seeing the final design of the C8’s diffuser?

Click image for larger version

Name:	0BEEFAB6-2811-43EA-AC14-757BA5583140.jpeg
Views:	2188
Size:	125.7 KB
ID:	31358

Second and important to all of us owners who are tired of the amount of filth that washes upward from the road surface and coats the rear fascia (and has especially done so since the C5’s flat rear), might the diffuser’s horizontal shelf component in addition to have a positive aero enhancement, reduce the amount of that dirt/yuk?

Lastly, and maybe I am slow to noticing this, how about that second, very-unearth secondary shelf? Aero squared?

https://www.motor1.com/news/319021/c...c8-spy-photos/

Originally posted by Motor1
    Mid-Engined Chevy Corvette Spied In Detail On The Highway

APR 04, 2019 at 6:57AM

Chris Bruce
    BY: CHRIS BRUCE, Editor Take a very good look at the next-gen Corvette's rear end.

The mid-engined Chevrolet Corvette continues its development on Michigan's roads, and these new spy shots come to Motor1.comfrom Midengine Corvette Forums and photographer David McDade. While the car continues to wear quite a bit of camo, these pictures at least provide a detailed view of the much-anticipated vehicle.
    Mid-Engined Chevrolet Corvette C8 Spy Shots
    14 Photos
    Mid-Engined Chevrolet Corvette C8 Spy ShotsMid-Engined Chevrolet Corvette C8 Spy ShotsMid-Engined Chevrolet Corvette C8 Spy ShotsMid-Engined Chevrolet Corvette C8 Spy ShotsMid-Engined Chevrolet Corvette C8 Spy ShotsMid-Engined Chevrolet Corvette C8 Spy ShotsMid-Engined Chevrolet Corvette C8 Spy Shots
    These photos largely provide a look at the mid-engined Corvette's rear. Unlike previous test mules, the engineers conceal the taillights on this model, but they leave the diffuser exposed. There are four square exhaust outlets – two on each side. A fixed wing sits on the rear deck. The angle of the rear glass suggests the engine might be visible on the production model, but this test mule wears an extra layer of mesh covering to keep everything hidden. The Most Recent Looks At The Mid-Engined Corvette:

Mid-Engined Corvette Caught Briefly In Rainy Detroit

Mid-Engined C8 Chevrolet Corvette Caught Dead At Gas Station
    There's only a single image of the front of the C8 Corvette in this new gallery, and it doesn't provide a great view of the car. Thankfully, earlier spy shots (gallery below) provide a much better look. The mid-engined 'Vette has a low-slung nose with large intakes in the corners. Sharp-edged headlights adorn the fenders.
    Mid-Engined Corvette Spy Photo
    19 Photos
    Mid-Engined Corvette Spy PhotoMid-Engined Corvette Spy PhotoMid-Engined Corvette Spy PhotoMid-Engined Corvette Spy PhotoMid-Engined CorvetteMid-Engined Corvette Spy PhotoMid-Engined Corvette Spy Photo
    Powertrain specs for the mid-engined Corvette are still largely a mystery. The info so far suggests the base powerplant would be a version of the existing 6.2-liter V8 making around 520 horsepower (388 kilowatts). GT and Grand Sport variants would allegedly use twin-turbo V8s offering even more power. Recent reports indicate that high-horsepower versions are twisting their frames, and this is an issue the engineers are working on.

The mid-engined Corvette will reportedly make its big debut at a dedicated event in the summer. The latest rumors put the unveiling at the National Corvette Museum in Bowling Green, Kentucky.

Photos by David McDade

Source: Midengine Corvette Forum

https://www.motor1.com/news/319021/c...c8-spy-photos/
    Last edited by John; 04-04-2019, 09:59 AM.
    GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Here is what the diffuser looked like at the beginning of the testing process, e.g., it has grown its horizontal shelf tray. I believe we first saw it in December in the sightings north of Detroit.

Click image for larger version  Name:	3825E5BD-42F3-48A0-9175-DD4A64C2B076.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	177.8 KB ID:	31367
    GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

I don't know, it just seem to fit the rest of the car. It's "odd" looking, it might assist with keeping the rear of the car cleaner, but it doesn't look "right"!!

Comment

There's an interesting level of symmetry between the wing spoiler and the diffuser geometry...

I suppose that the grill (A) is for engine cooling, and additional aero-components of the diffuser are described by regions B?
        Click image for larger version  Name:	image_5954.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.03 MB ID:	31371
        My C8:
        '20 Elkhart Lake Blue 2LT Coupe, Natural Interior, GT2 Two-Tone Seats, Performance Exhaust, Front Lift, Carbon Flash Wheels, Engine Appearance Package 2000 Status December 27, 2019; 3000 Status January 2, 2020; 3400 Status March 10, 2020;TPW March 16, 2020; Built June 4th, 2020 (COVID-19); Delivery July 1, 2020

Current Vettes:
        '68 Lemans Blue 327/350 Convertible
        '91 Turquoise Convertible with Hardtop
        '14 Lime Rock Green 2LT Convertible, Black Top, Kalahari, 7-Speed, Performance Exhaust

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	8205AD48-2878-4FF8-8652-C65EC1861823.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	46.0 KB ID:	31376

Perhaps some more symmetry between the possible winged spoiler’s endplates (as the C7 had it) and the ME diffuser’s horizontal-piece end plates?

Click image for larger version  Name:	B0F95ECC-561E-4E85-BBBA-10BCB55D07BF.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	134.3 KB ID:	31374

Comment

Originally posted by bobbytinvab View Post
            I don't know, it just seem to fit the rest of the car. It's "odd" looking, it might assist with keeping the rear of the car cleaner, but it doesn't look "right"!!
            I was just hoping that helping clean the rear of the car might be an incidental by-product of best aero treatment.
            Last edited by John; 04-04-2019, 02:20 PM.

Comment

It’s hard for me to picture it doing much for downforce but it might reduce drag or help pull air out of the engine compartment.
              There is a madness to my method!

2015 Z06 Torch/adrenaline
              2001 coupe Torch/oak R8C
              79 coupe Silver/oyster
              All one owner
              Museum lifetime members

Comment

So, who do you suppose won the fight between the designers and engineers?
                Black over Sky Cool Gray.....2LT.....Z51.....FE4.....E60.....

Comment

Normally that is the case in every car company. However, the relationship between the engineers and the designers in the Corvette program is truly outstanding, an environment of mutual respect and cooperation — and it has been that way for the last decade. To me that is why the C7 was/still is such a success. And why I believe the ME will be also.

Comment

Originally posted by Meldoon View Post
                    So, who do you suppose won the fight between the designers and engineers?
                    The MBA's. They ALWAYS do.

Comment

Very true RokeRrdr. When the C5’s came out with the OEM “truck wagon wheels” for 1997-99, I talked to then Chief Engineer Dave Hill — as we were standing next to our ‘98 with the Fikse wheels had put on them. Dave complimented our wheels and we started to talk about how none of us like the OEM wagon wheels. Dave’s exact response was, “I lost that battle with the bean counters, but they told me if the C5 sells as well as I predicted to them it would, I can have nice, more expensive wheels, for 2000. And we all know, that is exactly what happened, e.g., the 2000+ C5 OEM wheels were beautiful.

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post
                        Very true RokeRrdr. When the C5’s came out with the OEM “truck wagon wheels” for 1997-99, I talked to then Chief Engineer Dave Hill — as we were standing next to our ‘98 with the Fikse wheels had put on them. Dave complimented our wheels and we started to talk about how none of us like the OEM wagon wheels. Dave’s exact response was, “I lost that battle with the bean counters, but they told me if the C5 sells as well as I predicted to them it would, I can have nice, more expensive wheels, for 2000. And we all know, that is exactly what happened, e.g., the 2000+ C5 OEM wheels were beautiful.
                        Yessir. And the reason for the C7 issues was because the team was only allotted $700M for the project due to the financial downturn. I'm still pretty amazed at what the Corvette team pulled off on the C7 with such a low budget.

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post
                          Here is what the diffuser looked like at the beginning of the testing process, e.g., it has grown its horizontal shelf tray. I believe we first saw it in December in the sightings north of Detroit.

Click image for larger version Name:	3825E5BD-42F3-48A0-9175-DD4A64C2B076.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	177.8 KB ID:	31367

That gap between the underbody aero cover and the camouflaged bodywork looks unfinished to my eye. Almost looks as if the plastic underbody cover is warped from the heat of the muffler, lol. Surely they have a better treatment for the final car?

Comment

Originally posted by electroVette View Post

That gap between the underbody aero cover and the camouflaged bodywork looks unfinished to my eye. Almost looks as if the plastic underbody cover is warped from the heat of the muffler, lol. Surely they have a better treatment for the final car?
                            No telling what extra padding is under the camo. Noticed the difference in color of the exhaust tips, so probably switchable exhaust?
                            There is a madness to my method!

2015 Z06 Torch/adrenaline
                            2001 coupe Torch/oak R8C
                            79 coupe Silver/oyster
                            All one owner
                            Museum lifetime members

Comment

We see that there is an NPP performance exhaust option.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X