Sorry to be a C8 wet blanket for some

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sorry to be a C8 wet blanket for some

I wrote thread as my responsibility is to share factual informatio to allow people to make decisions based on full knowledge, though the dynamics discussed within it could have potentially negative consequence for some while however, resulting in positive effects for some others.

Click image for larger version  Name:	68F6C268-4EFC-4059-8CC7-AD8324624AFB.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	67.5 KB ID:	199135

Our 2021 color poll results here pushed me to my conclusion that I have a responsibility to write this thread.

So here goes and as a intro caveat, this is based on repeat, recent Corvette manufacturing history, but we know GM sometimes changes things. But can they in this regard? I believe that given the way that BGA operates, just as they are not able to currently produce two HTC’s in succession, there could again be for the 2021 model year be some repeat C8 production color inabilities, e.g., BGA not being able to produce vast quantities of a single color as quickly as they can make a mix of different colors).
    1. BGA is not capable of producing massive amounts of the same color in a limited time frame. True the plant can do a mix and match, or can do a batch or say 10 or even 25 of the same color, but not make one color in timewise-proximity without limits.
    2. As a result when a massive amount of customers choose the color “X”, even those with early very allocations at the largest dealers, can and have had their TPW’s pushed into the future. Recent examples include:
    3. The 2019 ZR1 was ordered initially over 40% in Sebring Orange. As a result many had their TPW‘s moved significantly further out. However as a sequence some with later TPW’s in other colors consequently got moved forward (closer).
    4. Early 2020 C8’s were ordered over 30% in Torch Red. Many of those ordered also consequently then had their TPW’s moved out in the future. I personally know of 3 C8 friends whose Torch Red TPW’s’s were pushed out at the beginning of the C8 production cycle.
    5. Most recently when the the earlier “hold” on Rapid Blue C8 was released (when that color first met full production standards/requirements), there were so many Rapid Blue orders backed up, that many with that color had their C8’s production moved further out.
    6. One more historical fact that could come into play that GM often has had a one-month “delayed availability” introduction for a brand new color. Might this happen again for Silver Flare and/or Red Mist? Just wanted to point out possible future parameters for everybody to think about now before initial 2021 allocations are released and then submitted as orders sometime next month.
    7. I bring this information to all ordering a 2021 who are especially wanting Red Mist (currently wanted by over 30% of 2021 customers in our current poll) and perhaps also for Silver Flare customers — for you to consider with this info whether might have you re-consider to your choice. Do you wish to choose another color or choose to wait knowing your C8 MIGHT be production delayed solely because you choose one of those two new colors. Again sorry to be the bearer of potentially not positive news for some; but if this pattern again happens, it could be nicely positive news for those choosing other colors.
    GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

I will wait. Heck, I just put in a deposit with Mike Furman. I have nothing but time!

Comment

In the words of The Rolling Stones...Time, is on my side, Yes it is!
      "07/01/20 Placed deposit on 2021 C8 Coupe: 08/01/20 Preliminary order placed in GM Workbench: 2LT: G9F: FE2: NPP: VST: VDK: R8C"

Comment

So, given this comments, what is the "safe" color/options to order our 2021? Is there any specific 2020 information already available that could shed more light on potential TPW delays for those of us in line for 2021?

Comment

John thanks for that info ... because my First choice is Red Mist and my Second choice is Silver Flare.

I'm beginning to look at it this way, I can't miss what I never had and is the reason I won't sell by C5 until I have C8 Keys in my hand.

At this rate, I just maybe able to pay Cash for the Car or get buy more goodies.

BTW Vette Interested, the last time I had a correspondence with Mike was when I forked over a grand back in June. ​​​​​​​
          Deposit placed on June 18 2020, for 2021 HTC 2LT Red Mist Tintcoat
          Current 1999 Magnetic Red C5 Z51

Comment

As the Zora is still a few years out, I have nothing but time. I really would hope someone wouldn’t buy a color they didn’t want just to get the car. It is a lot of people’s dream car, just wait it out and get what you REALLY want. Instead of always wishing, I should have waited and got what I really wanted.

This is just my opinion, and I’m sure yours will vary.

Regards Brian

Comment

I agree Brian that buying a vehicle in a color that is not appealing to you is a poor idea. But let’s say you like Red Mist and Elkhart Lake Blue equally or almost equally. It could make sense to order ELB then.

That is the one short paragraph distillation of my thread.
              GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

Thanks for the caution. I will wait for Red Mist as long as it takes. If because of its super popularity at the beginning it takes another month for me to get one, hell I have waited 60 years for my mid engine Corvette.
                Last edited by C8Driving; 10-15-2020, 11:49 PM.

Comment

Yep - Long Beach Red Metallic was on constraint also. Extremely glad I waited.
                  Rocket City Florida

Comment

Great analysis John, I agree, it is better to be aware of potential delays then be in dark, wondering. Very helpful to many 2021 customers, wish I had this analysis last year
                    First time Corvette owner. Torch Red C8 HTC, and yeah with Lambo doors 😊

Comment

Definitely first world problems. Why the heck would anyone spend this much money and NOT get the color they truly want? I can understand forgoing an option or two but the color is non negotiable, at least for me.

Comment

What Sucks is planning in advance for a 2021 Model Year that hasn't even started being built and the possibility of getting it with only a couple months remaining in the year and snow on the ground. Hopefully that won't be true because I'm paying for a NCM Delivery.
                        Deposit placed on June 18 2020, for 2021 HTC 2LT Red Mist Tintcoat
                        Current 1999 Magnetic Red C5 Z51

Comment

I just read the long range winter forecast and it is predicted to be warmer, dryer, with less snow than usual for most. Let’s specifically wish for that for all Museum deliveries.

Comment

I wanted Torch Red and would have waited for it if I had known there was a wait. I guess being Torch Red and a March allocation that put me in line for 20181. Yeah me!

Comment

All Torch Red’s were caught up a long time ago in terms of regular sequencing, though you are right that a March allocation did put you backwards. Still, if you have reached 3000 status as your March allocation pick up resulted in, you will per GM as late as last week, remain on track to get your 2020 C8.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X