MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Corvette Today” Podcast Interview Justin of HorsePower Obsessed On Now

Steve Garrett delves into the world of YouTube re Corvettes for the first time! He speaks to Justin from HorsePower Obsessed. Learn how people make money on YouTube, hear about Justin's 2019 Black ZR1 Big Wing, and about the C8 he has on order. And also hear about Steve's C7 Stingray Carbon Fiber Edition Corvette. For current and past podcast links: https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...-available-now
See more
See less

C8 vs. Dodge Demon - which is quicker?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • C8 vs. Dodge Demon - which is quicker?

    Can the revered mid-engine sports coupe beat a muscle car on its own turf?

    The 2020 Chevy Corvette C8 is a quick car, no doubt about that. Ever since its launch, the mid-engine sports coupe has been touted with a zero to 60 miles per hour (97 kilometers per hour) sprint of under three seconds when equipped with the Z51 performance package.

    However, is the Vette C8 quick enough to beat a muscle car that's purposely built to win straight-line races? We're talking about the Dodge Challenger SRT Demon, and Throttle House has orchestrated a drag race to find out the answer.

    Now, before you watch the drag race video, let's lay down the numbers here to see how disadvantaged the Corvette C8 is.

    We all know that the new Corvette is powered by a naturally-aspirated 6.2-liter LT2 V8 engine that generates 490 horsepower (365 kilowatts) and 465 pound-feet (630 Newton-meters). Take note, however, the secret to the C8's incredible acceleration lies in the aggressive gearing and intelligent design of the Corvette’s first dual-clutch transmission.

    On the other hand, the unholy Dodge Demon also uses a 6.2-liter V8 engine, albeit, it gets a boost from a 2.7-liter supercharger, allowing it to make a max output of 840 hp (626 kW) and 770 lb-ft (1,044 Nm) of twists while on 100-octane fuel. On this race, though, the Demon's on 94 octane, so it's making a respectable 808 hp (603 kW).

    Obviously, the Dodge Demon has its power advantage going for it, but it's important to take note that the Corvette is a lot lighter by around 900 pounds (408 kilograms). Also, the results of drag races, more often than not, are in the hands (or foot) of the one at the helm.

    So, do you think the Corvette C8 can beat the Dodge Demon on its own turf? Watch the video embedded on top to find out.

    And oh, we said that this race ends in an upset, right? Well, that depends on which one you're rooting for.



    https://www.motor1.com/news/431187/c...emon-race/amp/
    SunKissed, my 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible (One of about 40)

    Purchased 5/2/2015,
    >36,000 miles

    Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out http://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org

    Never grow up - It's a trap.

  • #2
    Nice guys. Like them. And will keep looking. But someone did an oversteer blooper. So I.m just looking at stuff as entertainment rather than information now days.

    Same with Matt F., entertainment or information? Or advertisement?

    Hartford, The Steadman etc totally non informative and fun and sales hype. . But they do not suggest anything but frolic and what they are, openly and notoriously so.

    Comment


    • #3
      To me it doesn't matter which one is quicker. I do know which one is uglier.

      Comment


      • #4
        A real drag race is a 1/4 mile not 1/2.

        Comment


        • #5
          Entertaining for some. Informational-not so much. Not a fan. Like their name though. “Throttle house”

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by 5632 View Post
            A real drag race is a 1/4 mile not 1/2.
            Why is that? 1/2 miles shows more of the cars top end. Can easily determine which vehicle wins in the 1/8, 1/4, and 1/2 mile marks.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by P-Tree View Post
              Why is that? 1/2 miles shows more of the cars top end. Can easily determine which vehicle wins in the 1/8, 1/4, and 1/2 mile marks.
              1/2 is pretty much just about raw horsepower. On quarter mile a good launch has much more impact, which is why I prefer it as a measurement for acceleration.

              Comment


              • #8
                I find the premise of the original video to be ludicrous-sorry Tesla. I like both cars-the C8 enough to buy it, but it is an unfair comparison, kind of like the question "who is stronger, the worlds strongest man or Arnold in his prime?" Pure clickbait. The Demon's numbers smoke the C8 in both 0-60 and the 1/4-regardless of the Throttle house boys testing.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Dumbell2 View Post
                  I find the premise of the original video to be ludicrous-sorry Tesla. I like both cars-the C8 enough to buy it, but it is an unfair comparison, kind of like the question "who is stronger, the worlds strongest man or Arnold in his prime?" Pure clickbait. The Demon's numbers smoke the C8 in both 0-60 and the 1/4-regardless of the Throttle house boys testing.
                  Maybe. The Demon's official performance figures are done with 100 Octane race fuel and the optional "Direct Connection Powertrain Controller." (Is that EPA legal, or for off road use only?) On 93 octane and without the 100 octane tune, it's going to be considerably slower.
                  SunKissed, my 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible (One of about 40)

                  Purchased 5/2/2015,
                  >36,000 miles

                  Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out http://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org

                  Never grow up - It's a trap.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by meyerweb View Post

                    Maybe. The Demon's official performance figures are done with 100 Octane race fuel and the optional "Direct Connection Powertrain Controller." (Is that EPA legal, or for off road use only?) On 93 octane and without the 100 octane tune, it's going to be considerably slower.
                    I am pretty sure that both Arnold and the worlds strongest man ran 100 octane plus. Lol

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Ace View Post
                      1/2 is pretty much just about raw horsepower. On quarter mile a good launch has much more impact, which is why I prefer it as a measurement for acceleration.
                      If you run from a dig and have the track set up properly both can be accomplished with a 1/2 mile race. Time the 1/4 and the 1/2.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by P-Tree View Post

                        If you run from a dig and have the track set up properly both can be accomplished with a 1/2 mile race. Time the 1/4 and the 1/2.
                        The C8 was ahead the entire race, so it won both the 1/4 and 1/2. Mox nix.
                        SunKissed, my 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible (One of about 40)

                        Purchased 5/2/2015,
                        >36,000 miles

                        Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out http://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org

                        Never grow up - It's a trap.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by meyerweb View Post

                          The C8 was ahead the entire race, so it won both the 1/4 and 1/2. Mox nix.
                          In this instance, correct. Not every race, hence the entertainment value of the 1/2.

                          Comment

                          MECF_728x90_bottom

                          Collapse
                          Working...
                          X