MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Official C8 Owners Manual, Build and Price, Visualizer, Pricing, and Ordering Information

See more
See less

Stock Entry C8 Excellent Track Lap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stock Entry C8 Excellent Track Lap

A standard 2020 C8, not a single mod nor even a track alignment, captured a 1:23 at Motorsports Ranch. Thanks to Alex Tobolowsky for your great driving and video, and proving how formidable as a sports car is the entry C8!

Video title: C8 Corvette Hot Base Laps — All Season Tires

Thanks Adam for the following summary of your excellent 1:23 lap at “Motorsports Ranch,” especially with street alignment and not a single modification to an entry C8. Impressive entry C8; impressive driving!

Click image for larger version  Name:	1A3C029B-3BCF-47E4-A7A7-73EA918BE6BE.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	362.5 KB ID:	141680

Click image for larger version  Name:	F95AA8A8-8A06-475D-9281-083D2DE85061.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	198.7 KB ID:	141681
    GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates.Lifetime, annual contributors, and 22 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Not too shabby for driving on snow tires. You could definitely hear them barking though.
    Rocket City Florida

Comment

Gee whiz. Reports of 2.6 zero to 60 and now this. The "base" is great!
      Last edited by Boomer; 04-26-2020, 08:41 AM.

Comment

The person outside of Michelin and GM I most respect in the world of tire evaluations is Luke Pavlik @ TireRack. He and I were talking a while back about how the Michelin A/S 3+ All Seasons were such great tires. He noted that before they heat up on their own track, that they put down great laps on a C7. The new Michelin A/S 4’s are a major improvement over the A/S 3+ tires. This video sure demonstrates the A/S 4’s capabilities.

They will be a terrific daily tire especially for those who drive during colder winter months in locations without massive amounts of snow. Years ago in the first gen Michelin A/S tires in our C5, we encountered a 4”/5”surprise snow storm in Albuquerque. While dicey, we slowed down quite a bit safety made it over the top and ended up the night in Kingman,AZ.

Adding in the C8’s weight over the rear wheels (we remember little ole VW bugs going almost anywhere in the snow), and the massively improved tires of today compared to 20 years ago, I am confident a C8 can safely go in 5” of snow if the driver knows what he/she is doing — and why we will be getting a set of A/S 4’s for our C8’s winter tires.
        GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates.Lifetime, annual contributors, and 22 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

Like so many videos of other cars and drivers this one is very steady and smooth with the steering wheel. Is it both car and driver that makes it possible?

Comment

Just reinforces my feeling that I don't need a Z51, even for an occasional track day. Thank you Adam, and John.
            SunKissed, my 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible (One of about 40)

Purchased 5/2/2015,
            >36,000 miles

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out http://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

What exactly are y’all comparing this time to?

I found a time for a Miata........would like to see a C7 time or similar to compare....

​​​​​​Track MSRC 1.7 CCW

Date 08/22/19

Lap time 1.25.0 (AIM Solo DL)

Car Spec Miata

RWHP 120

Weight with driver 2500

Tire 225 R7 (10 HC)

Weather 95+
              Last edited by Meldoon; 04-26-2020, 10:25 AM.
              Black over Sky Cool Gray.....2LT.....Z51.....FE4.....E60.....

Comment

Originally posted by meyerweb View Post
                Just reinforces my feeling that I don't need a Z51, even for an occasional track day. Thank you Adam, and John.
                Agreed...I also liked his comment of how great the car looks color matched with no aero.
                Recently sold:
                Shark Grey '15 Z51 Coupe : White / Blue Diamond '13 427 60th roadster ( really miss the 'stripe delete' 427 )

Status 3000 - 7th Corvette... Zeus Bronze Coupe, 2LT, GT2 seats, Natural two tone, Body color accents, Pewter wheels

Comment

Originally posted by 5632 View Post
                  Like so many videos of other cars and drivers this one is very steady and smooth with the steering wheel. Is it both car and driver that makes it possible?
                  May be steady and smooth but in this video the Porsches are sailing past him. Not the case with the Boy, Speed Phenom, he is my hero.

Comment

From my experience, at the true limit, the car moves around a lot. You will find yourself making many small corrections on the steering wheel, that translate into the car following a smooth path. Usually the guy that makes no corrections in the steering wheel angle in a corner is just a connect the dots kind of driver. You must give the tires what they want, and that means multiple corrections of the steering angle in the corner. If you are not doing this, you have more speed to gain as you get closer to the true limit of the car. Just sayin,,,
                    3LT Long Beach Red , Z51, FE4 , ZZ3, Black interior ,38S red stitching, Q8T, FA5, ER1, CFX, and R8C

Comment

Originally posted by Meldoon View Post

I found a time for a Miata........

Yes! Base C8 clobbered that Miata by two seconds!

Comment

Originally posted by Boomer View Post

Yes! Base C8 clobbered that Miata by two seconds!

WooooHoooo!
                        Black over Sky Cool Gray.....2LT.....Z51.....FE4.....E60.....

Comment

For what it’s worth the driver (Adam Tobolowski) owns a ZR1 that he regularly wheels around COTA and has driven everything from McLaren Senna GTRs to McLaren P1s to Aston Martin Vulcans, and QUICK! So if he says the car felt good then that is HIGH praise!

Comment

Originally posted by Meldoon View Post

I found a time for a Miata........would like to see a C7 time or similar to compare....

Car Spec Miata
                            Not interested In how it compares with anything else. I'm not interested in racing. Been there, done that (on motorcycles). If I go to the track, it's for fun, and I can have plenty of fun without being the fastest car on the track.
                            SunKissed, my 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible (One of about 40)

Purchased 5/2/2015,
                            >36,000 miles

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out http://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

Originally posted by meyerweb View Post

Not interested In how it compares with anything else. I'm not interested in racing. Been there, done that (on motorcycles). If I go to the track, it's for fun, and I can have plenty of fun without being the fastest car on the track.
                              I am with you on that. In fact I have only three goals for when I go on track (including Spring Mountain).

* have FUN;

* learn something;

* keep the car in its initial condition.

If I am speed wise in the middle or even the lower middle of times compared to others with similar equipment, fine with me as long as I meet my three goals.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X