Adnimation ATF

Collapse

MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 3 < >

Corvette Brand Manager, Harlan Charles Talks Everything E-Ray

Corvette Marketing & Brand Manager, Harlan Charles returns to CORVETTE TODAY with your host, Steve Garrett, to talk about the new 2024 Corvette E-Ray. https://youtu.be/3u0WMcgtnWI ; https://podcasts.adorilabs.com/corve...GToHlBAjuBPZxz. Harlan gives us an extensive overview is this revolutionary new Corvette and give us insight never heard before about the upcoming E-Ray. www.CorvetteToday.com
2 of 3 < >

Corvette Today News & Headlines: Late January, 2023

With the announcement of the 2024 Corvette E-Ray, your CORVETTE TODAY host Steve Garrett, and Keith Cornett from CorvetteBlogger have a lot to tell you about !!! https://youtu.be/734VgDupTBI; https://podcasts.adorilabs.com/corve...UAAEX2obMOXMml
Plus, we get a possible glimpse into the Corvette future with Manny Katakis from Muscle Cars & Truck with what the C9 Corvette could look like. Besides the E-Ray, here are some of the other stories Steve and Keith will discuss....
1. Corvette beats the Porsche 911 as Consumer Reports most satisfying car to own.
2. GM delivers over 9,000 Corvettes in the 4th quarter of 2022
3. Corvette Racing debuts the GT3.R on January 27th at the Rolex 24
4. The Mecum Auction at Kissimmee sells the very first Corvette Sting Ray
5. The National Corvette Museum hosts exhibits to celebrate 70 years of Corvette
All the Corvette E-Ray news you want and need plus much more on next week's CORVETTE TODAY News & Headlines show!
Listen to the podcast, watch the YouTube video, join the Facebook group, sign up for email notifications and shop in the Merchandise Store at: www.CorvetteToday.com
3 of 3 < >

2023 Corvette Info Including E-Ray, SR & Z06 Pricing, SR & Z06 Visualizers, 70th Anniversary Info, Press Releases for SR & Z06 & Their Build & Price, Order Guides & Visualizers

E-Ray Visualizer: https://visualizer.chevrolet.com/ui?...US&channel=b2c
Official E-Ray Press Release: https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...-press-release
Official GM E-Ray Pictures: https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...and-visualizer
+ 25 KEY E-Ray Components/Factors: https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...rs-information
E-Ray Leaked Info/Visualizer: https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...tte-e-ray-leak
Z51 & Z06 GM Track Specs: https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...ecommendations
Z06 BUILD & PRICE: https://www.chevrolet.com/performanc...d-price/config
Z06 Order Guide: https://www.gmfleetorderguide.com/NA...D=22412&type=0
Z06 Pricing Spreadsheet: https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...9Chvp%E2%80%9D
Z06 MSRP and Options Pricing: https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...freight-charge
2023 SR Build & Price: https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...up-and-running
*2023 SR & Z06 Official Owners Manual: https://www.corvetteblogger.com/docs...ersManual.pdf; and,
https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...owner-s-manual
* 2023 GM Bash Major Seminar with HQ video: https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...ore-bash-video
*2023 Stingray Visualizer: https://visualizer.chevrolet.com/ui?...US&channel=b2c
* COPMPLETE 2023 STINGRAY PRICING: https://www.corvetteactioncenter.com...ion-Center.pdf
*2023 Stingray (ONLY Order Guide: https://www.gmfleetorderguide.com/NA...D=22412&type=0
*70th Anniversary Combined Press Release For SR & Z06: https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...iversary-model
*Z06 Press Release: https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...-press-release
*Z06 Reveal Pictures: https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...eveal-pictures
*Z06 Visualizer: https://visualizer.chevrolet.com/ui?...US&channel=b2c
Order Guide (unofficial): https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...-action-center
*Z06 vs Z07 Aero Components: https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...s-similarities
See more
See less

LT6 Z06 Vibration Test

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • LT6 Z06 Vibration Test

    See with your own eyes. Thank you John006 for conducting this.



    Click image for larger version

Name:	6752550D-3078-492E-8DBB-C0DA1078CEF0.jpg
Views:	2153
Size:	975.2 KB
ID:	431315
    2023 Z06: Hypersonic Gray HTC, two tone blue interior, CCB’s, 3LZ, E60, and with every visible carbon fiber option order-able including wheels. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 24 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

  • #2
    What a clever idea and a great testament to the Corvette engineers-this being such a big flat plane crank engine!
    2023 C8 HTC 3LT Z51 black with red dipped, Q9A wheels.
    2023 Z06 HTC 1LZ black on black, Comp seats, suede steering wheel, black wheels

    Comment


    • #3
      There have been so many concerns about the large displacement LT6 FPC causing major vibrational issues. The doom and gloomers had a field day from the time it was clear that it was going to be 5.5L, predicting all sorts of negative outcomes.

      However, GM powertrain engineers, led by Dustin Gardner used their considerable engineering expertise in designing the LT6 with precise lightweight components, especially for its moving parts, to reduce and/or manage vibrations.

      Thanks to John 006 for coming up with this simple demonstration to show how great a job the LT6 powertrain engineers did.
      2023 Z06: Hypersonic Gray HTC, two tone blue interior, CCB’s, 3LZ, E60, and with every visible carbon fiber option order-able including wheels. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 24 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

      Comment


      • #4
        The vibration issues I had with a 5.2 FPC engine was up in the 8000 + rpm range. The trans shifter , center console and dash would vibrate after 8000 miles on my Shelby GT350R. Not saying the Z06 has these issues because nobody has logged enough miles in order to report such issues. More importantly was a new cartridge oil filter had to be installed and oil lines had to be replaced with a new design. However Ford still had oil consumption problems. Again I’m not saying the Z06 will have issues. But I will say Ford has a lot of experience with DOHC engines.
        GM did say they didn’t eliminate all vibration because it’s part of the experience.
        Last edited by MikeC8; 11-23-2022, 10:08 AM.
        Red mist C8 ,2 LT, Z51 coupe.

        Z06 wait list #394 at Ciocca Chevy
        Z06 wait list # 6 At local dealership

        Comment


        • #5
          Thank you Mike. Good information. Glad that GM went with a different cylinder firing order — as its powertrain engineers said that helps the LT6.
          2023 Z06: Hypersonic Gray HTC, two tone blue interior, CCB’s, 3LZ, E60, and with every visible carbon fiber option order-able including wheels. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 24 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

          Comment


          • #6
            Vibrating water in a glass has nothing to do with engine harmonics.
            When we think of engine balance we’re usually talking about the dynamic balance of the rotating assembly that is the bottom end and spills up into the pistons. While it’s important to balance these objects for smoothest and most reliable operation at any rpm, they don’t spin in a figurative physics vacuum. Beyond the static and dynamic balance that you can control, there are variables that are less commonly observed — specifically the imbued harmonics of given materials and parts.

            Lets all hope the engineers have found the solution to the issues associated with flat plane crank engines as they have said. Time will surely tell. I for one am hoping these FPC engines have a reasonable longevity as I would love to keep the car way past the warranty period.
            Rocket City Florida - 2013 427 Vert - 2015 ZO6 - 2020 Stingray

            Comment


            • #7
              I have great trust in the Vette engineers and for the buyers of the Z06 I hope they cracked the code regarding big displacement FPC. If anyone can do it it is them.

              Harmonic vibrations, which is one way to cause catastrophic failure to anything if violent enough, would not show itself in water. The structure should be rigid to transfer the increasingly extreme vibrations, like glass, metal etc.

              The best test to see harmonic vibrations would be to attach a long piece of metal horizontally (and perhaps vertically) to the engine block and see what happens at different lengths of the pieces of metal…. That way one would be able to validate if harmonic vibrations indeed have been eliminated.

              One could also put something elso on the engine block itself and record that with a camera to try to assess how much the engine moves and see if time will influence the vibrations at any give RPM…. If vibrations are getting increasingly worse, that would be bad
              and presumably cause the engine itself and all it is connected to, to shake itself apart. I believe GM has changed the firing order of the cylinders. That could do the trick as it does not take much to stop harmonic waves/vibrations but I haven’t see this in action to determine.

              All tests should probably be done fairly close to redline as the FPC is meant to be driven with those high RPM given the hp and torque curve.

              As to the test it does not really tell if there are harmonious vibrations or how violent the vibrations are as the test item is not attached to the vi ration generating item (engine).

              If the test on the other hand would have shown material vibrations on this plastic panel far away from the engine and at those low RPM, I would be worried.
              Last edited by Top Off Action; 11-23-2022, 09:15 PM.
              Coupe, 1LT, Rapid Blue, orange seat belts and black interior. ETA Late 2021.

              First mods: tinted windows, orange DIY stitching, orange 12 o clock stripe on steering wheel, orange EL-wire in the cabin, orange engine cover, orange painted grille protectors and orange led light in engine bay✌️😎

              Comment


              • #8
                Great insights guys. Ill roll the dice as i believe corvette engineers have all the issues that could have possibly shown up resolved.

                of course Im the eternal optimist so take my opinion for what its worth.

                ill put my money where my mouth is when my reservation number comes up in a year or two.

                keep the faith guys. Corvette engineering in my opinion has a world class validation process.

                not perfect but dam good.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Well stated JB. With the C8.R running the LT6.R for now it’s third year of competition. It has been well and additionally, tested in another parameter.
                  2023 Z06: Hypersonic Gray HTC, two tone blue interior, CCB’s, 3LZ, E60, and with every visible carbon fiber option order-able including wheels. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 24 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by John View Post
                    Well stated JB. With the C8.R running the LT6.R for now it’s third year of competition. It has been well and additionally, tested in another parameter.
                    John that engine has a red line of 7400 and 500 hp. So it’s really a de tuned engine compared to the Z06 customer car

                    specs below
                    Wheelbase 107.2 in (2,723 mm)
                    Engine General Motors LT6 5.5 L (336 cu in) 90° V8 naturally aspirated, mid-engine, longitudinally mounted
                    Power 500 hp (373 kW) @ 7,400 rpm
                    Fuel TotalEnergies and VP Racing Fuels
                    Red mist C8 ,2 LT, Z51 coupe.

                    Z06 wait list #394 at Ciocca Chevy
                    Z06 wait list # 6 At local dealership

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Thanks for those specs. MikeC8, you clearly have concerns about the engine’s long term reliability based on Ford’s problems with their different cylinder firing order, DOHC V8, flat plane crank smaller engine that caused them and their customers problems. Are you sure you want to proceed and get a Z06 with its LT6?

                      Me, I have not one iota of concern. Getting our Z06, properly breaking it in 500 miles on the stupendous backroads of Kentucky and Tennessee fairly near Bowling Green, getting its engine oil and filter changed at Campbell Chevrolet in BG, then driving east 661 miles to Greenville, North Carolina (on the Atlantic Ocean), then to the Pacific Ocean @ Pismo Beach, CA (2,762 miles), then 887 miles north up the Pacific Coast Highway to our home north on the Columbia River north of Portland, OR — plus many side trips along the way to visit friends, see places, and eat our way at special restaurants on the journey home.
                      2023 Z06: Hypersonic Gray HTC, two tone blue interior, CCB’s, 3LZ, E60, and with every visible carbon fiber option order-able including wheels. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 24 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by John View Post
                        Thanks for those specs. MikeC8, you clearly have concerns about the engine’s long term reliability based on Ford’s problems with their different cylinder firing order, DOHC V8, flat plane crank smaller engine that caused them and their customers problems. Are you sure you want to proceed and get a Z06 with its LT6?

                        Me, I have not one iota of concern. Getting our Z06, properly breaking it in 500 miles on the stupendous backroads of Kentucky and Tennessee fairly near Bowling Green, getting its engine oil and filter changed at Campbell Chevrolet in BG, then driving east 661 miles to Greenville, North Carolina (on the Atlantic Ocean), then to the Pacific Ocean @ Pismo Beach, CA (2,762 miles), then 887 miles north up the Pacific Coast Highway to our home north on the Columbia River north of Portland, OR — plus many side trips along the way to visit friends, see places, and eat our way at special restaurants on the journey home.
                        Well that’s sounds like a plan there.
                        I’m not sure when my allocation would come up. But I feel like I have over a year. So I’m just sitting on my wait list and look forward to more information on the LT6 engine. So I’m just going to read all I can on here. Don’t want to beat a dead horse about Fords endeavor with their voodoo engine. Yes they changed the firing order so it didn’t sound like a Ferrari. Actually I think they ruined the sound. But that’s water under the bridge. I’ll keep my subject on GM and not Ford from now on.
                        Red mist C8 ,2 LT, Z51 coupe.

                        Z06 wait list #394 at Ciocca Chevy
                        Z06 wait list # 6 At local dealership

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Top Off Action View Post
                          I have great trust in the Vette engineers and for the buyers of the Z06 I hope they cracked the code regarding big displacement FPC. If anyone can do it it is them.

                          Harmonic vibrations, which is one way to cause catastrophic failure to anything if violent enough, would not show itself in water. The structure should be rigid to transfer the increasingly extreme vibrations, like glass, metal etc.

                          The best test to see harmonic vibrations would be to attach a long piece of metal horizontally (and perhaps vertically) to the engine block and see what happens at different lengths of the pieces of metal…. That way one would be able to validate if harmonic vibrations indeed have been eliminated.

                          One could also put something elso on the engine block itself and record that with a camera to try to assess how much the engine moves and see if time will influence the vibrations at any give RPM…. If vibrations are getting increasingly worse, that would be bad
                          and presumably cause the engine itself and all it is connected to, to shake itself apart. I believe GM has changed the firing order of the cylinders. That could do the trick as it does not take much to stop harmonic waves/vibrations but I haven’t see this in action to determine.

                          All tests should probably be done fairly close to redline as the FPC is meant to be driven with those high RPM given the hp and torque curve.

                          As to the test it does not really tell if there are harmonious vibrations or how violent the vibrations are as the test item is not attached to the vi ration generating item (engine).

                          If the test on the other hand would have shown material vibrations on this plastic panel far away from the engine and at those low RPM, I would be worried.
                          I would think the tests are done across the rpm spectrum. Seems like vibration issues can come and go away at different rotational speeds depending upon the system.
                          Last edited by Ragtop 99; 11-25-2022, 10:09 PM.
                          2023 Red Mist HTC Red Calipers / C-Flash Mirrors and Wing / Black Exhaust Tips / Front Lift / Black 3LT / CF 1 Interior / Stealth Trim / Red Belts and Stitching.

                          Red Mist C8 Z51 traded for his big brother
                          Atomic Orange C6. Plenty of engine and suspension mods. Gone, but not forgotten

                          Member, Old Dominion Corvette Club https://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org/

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Knowing GM and its literally state of the art engine failure lab, for testing purposes they ran the LT6 for days on end at or very near 8,600 RPM. Additionally, they ran it flat out for 24 hours at full tilt on the track so that all loads, not just simulated ones were imposed on it. Taking an engine from breaking compression, coasting, and accelerating out of that apex to red line and back again many times per 10/10th’s lap was another testing process. As Josh Holder who showed us this slide at Bash noted, this is a major test that tested all aspects of the car’s functioning.

                            Click image for larger version

Name:	95DC9824-D24E-49CC-8DB6-965759EC8612.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	306.6 KB
ID:	432161

                            2023 Z06: Hypersonic Gray HTC, two tone blue interior, CCB’s, 3LZ, E60, and with every visible carbon fiber option order-able including wheels. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 24 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Top Off Action View Post
                              The best test to see harmonic vibrations would be to attach a long piece of metal horizontally (and perhaps vertically) to the engine block and see what happens at different lengths of the pieces of metal…. That way one would be able to validate if harmonic vibrations indeed have been eliminated.

                              One could also put something elso on the engine block itself and record that with a camera to try to assess how much the engine moves and see if time will influence the vibrations at any give RPM…
                              A much less crude approach would be to instrument the engine with tri-ax accelerometers at various places to measure the vibration (and all its harmonics) so that they can correlate that data to their FEA (Finite Element Analysis) models, which is a pretty standard development approach to things that vibrate. This would allow them to determine vibrational modes (resonances that result in high displacements) which helps find areas under high stress at any RPM. I suspect that this is exactly what GM Powertrain has done, in fact I would be very surprised if they don't have these models and performed this type of analysis.

                              Patiently waiting to order a 202X 2LZ Z06 coupe, BLK, RED Two-Tone GT2s

                              Comment

                              MECF_728x90_bottom

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X