Adnimation ATF

Collapse

MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

CORVETTE TODAY #115 - Corvette News & Headlines, Late June 2022

We've got the latest News & Headlines in the world of Corvette for you every other week! Keith Cornett from CorvetteBlogger is back to give you the inside scoop on what's happening. https://youtu.be/ZnVdDJHYDxo; https://podcasts.adorilabs.com/corve...2cqLUlcMmj6m4x
Here are a few of the topics covered on next week's podcast....
C8 Z06 benchmarked Porsche, Audi, Ferrari and McLaren
Chevrolet raises prices on 2023 C8 Stingray
Chevrolet adds DCT transmission filter life to maintenance tab on 2023 Corvettes
Chevy offers "Dark Stealth" crossed flags for 2023 Corvettes
WEC drops GTE Pro class for 2023 and introduces GTE Premium for 2024
Chevrolet is offering Dark Stealth Crossed Flags for the 2023 Corvettes
Is Corvette is scheduled for an interior refresh in 2024?
Chevrolet to offer 1 of 1 Mint Green Z06 in first NFT Auction
GM releases 2 more videos about the C8 Z06
This Friday, July 1st, is "Drive Your Corvette To Work" Day!

Don't miss a single episode of CORVETTE TODAY on podcast and YouTube. Each week's episode launches on Monday at 12 midnight Eastern Time.
2 of 2 < >

2023 Corvette Info Including SR Pricing, SR 2023 Visualizer, 70th Anniversary SR/Z06 Press Release; The C8 Z06 Press Release, Order Guide & Its Visualizer Link

See more
See less

Still! Vis CF Z07 Wheel Crush

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Still! Vis CF Z07 Wheel Crush

Sub-title: Carbon Revolution’s Z07 Carbon Fiber Wheels, More Info

If you saw my decision tree on the Z06 a few days ago, you read that I am still planning to get a standard Z06 as long I can get it with the complete aero package, then selecting either the Edge Red Graphite wheels or the regular Graphite ones. But the tug of the visible carbon fiber wheels remains constant, kind of like in the summer after I graduated high school, do I stay in my home town after graduation because I was having explosively-positive relationship with my girlfriend (yet knowing it was going to crash and burn in the next few months) or due the “right thing” and go off to college far away. The old brains versus heart conundrum.

Decided to go to college — and my summer romance incidentally blew up a week before I left.

Parallel issue here, e.g., buy a standard Z06 with its aero package or get the Z07 with its gorgeous visible carbon fiber Z07-only wheels I still have a crush on — yet still not liking the Cup2 R’s that come with it; and, we remain road trip not track people.

Back to more facts about Carbon Revolution and its carbon fiber wheel program, though kicking this off with the screen print of their home pages landing banner. How cool they are featuring the Z07 and its wheels, we note that there are in four other major manufacturing areas as shown in the screen print from their home page. We thank “z8ra” for bringing their below front page banner to our attention.

Click image for larger version  Name:	EFBE9546-D606-41BF-9C84-8B1236F98E33.jpg Views:	0 Size:	931.4 KB ID:	381341

A video that might interest you if you have not yet seen it. Note please that it now three years old and they have made many efficiency advances since.

As Carbon Revolution announced last month including their receiving a grant to assist in their moving faster into the EV wheel area, they are seeing more and more OEM interest from electrical vehicle manufacturers for concomitant with battery efficiency, drag and critically wheel unsprung mass is a major part of their range extension capabilities.

Click image for larger version  Name:	166CE081-50A1-4F63-8C86-24D557807154.jpg Views:	0 Size:	675.6 KB ID:	381342
    Lastly nice to see the exclusive company that the Z06’s wheels will be with, e.g. the following list of exotics that currently offer Carbon Revolution’s carbon fiber wheels.

Click image for larger version  Name:	3E949217-52F4-422C-9C10-51F528B2AC16.jpg Views:	0 Size:	533.9 KB ID:	381343

If you missed an earlier related thread, thanks to “acrace” for noting that upscale SUV’s are another major growth area for carbon fiber wheels:

https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...large-diameter

Again thanks to “z8ra,” please start specifically in post # 127 if you wish to learn more about the company and where they are heading — and please make sure you at least read through post 130:

https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...l-thread/page4

Lastly we have seen what we believe are E-Ray mules with the identical Carbon Revolution’s carbon fiber wheels as on the Z06 (same sizing even). Will we see a year or so from now the E-Ray/Grand Sport join the list of super special vehicles having CR wheels as shown in the middle picture above?

I remain fixated on this wheel.

Click image for larger version  Name:	69B18E6C-C103-40CE-A783-6ECE24DCB3C4.jpg Views:	0 Size:	174.9 KB ID:	381344

Z06 coming late this summer: Hypersonic Gray HTC, two tone blue interior, complete high wing/aero package. CCB’s, with every piece of visible carbon fiber available. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 24 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

I feel your pain John!

I can admit to myself that I am probably not a good enough of a driver to notice the benefits of these significantly lighter CF wheels from a performance perspective Also, the high cost is a very possible deterrent for me as well.

However, they are serious eye candy for me and I know I'd go into my garage nightly just to admire the exposed carbon fiber and of course the Z07 aero.

Comment

I plead “guilty” that they would not lower my lap times by 1 to 1 1/2 seconds as the Z07 test drivers found on a two minute lap, maybe not by more than a 1 or 2 lol, but I am betting that we notice steering handling and perhaps even more importantly to us non-track people, the quieter sound for there is markedly less tire whine noise coming into the cabin since that horrid tire noise is no longer being transmitted up mental spokes but now very quiet carbon fiber ones.

And of yes, eye candy (guilty there too).
      Z06 coming late this summer: Hypersonic Gray HTC, two tone blue interior, complete high wing/aero package. CCB’s, with every piece of visible carbon fiber available. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 24 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

I am still getting these, one thought that crossed my mind? these would likely be a very popular wheel for the thieves to take? I was at a Newport Beach 5 star hotel and someone tried to steal wheels off my friends BMW? it had lock nuts so they loosened all the lugs except for the locks and gave up, when my friend went to drive off she thought she had flat tires but it was all 4 wheels were wobbling because nuts were lose except the locks.
        Thanks,
        Steve

Currently have 2014 Z51, Have a deposit for 2023 C8 Z07 3LZ 😁
        -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Z06 coming sometime in September 2022. Will be Hypersonic Gray HTC, two tone red interior, visible carbon fiber wheels, and Z07 with every piece of visible carbon fiber OEM acquire-able.
        -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

A forum member who lives in Beverly Hills commented he loves these wheels but he too would be afraid to have them anywhere except in his double-locked garage for fear of their theft.

Comment

Originally posted by smajicek View Post
            I am still getting these, one thought that crossed my mind? these would likely be a very popular wheel for the thieves to take? I was at a Newport Beach 5 star hotel and someone tried to steal wheels off my friends BMW? it had lock nuts so they loosened all the lugs except for the locks and gave up, when my friend went to drive off she thought she had flat tires but it was all 4 wheels were wobbling because nuts were lose except the locks.
            Given the cost of these wheels and the price they'd bring on the grey market I could def see them being a target. I've seen cars as pedestrian a Toyota Highlander sitting on blocks with their wheels stolen. Given how fast it is to steal a set of wheels and the difficulty in proving they are stolen once placed for sale they would def be a prized target. That being said rarity also helps, professionals like easy targets and a Z06 with carbons will be hard to find. Much easier to grab a set of prized Challenger or Mustang wheels.

Comment

^^^
              I'd be tempted to put 5 locks on each wheel. Even given that the locks can be defeated, the harder you make it on a thief the longer it will take, and the longer it takes the greater the risk to the thief. And the greater the risk, the more likely they are to go somewhere else.
              Delivered 5/29!: Scarlet Fever 2021 2LT HTC, Red Mist Metallic Tintcoat, two-tone Naturalw/ suede inserts, Mag Ride, Performance Exhaust, MRR 755 Gunmetal wheels

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club: https://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org/

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

There is also a concern on damage to the surface of the wheels where the nuts are.... that the thief would leave b4 he gives up?
                Thanks,
                Steve

Currently have 2014 Z51, Have a deposit for 2023 C8 Z07 3LZ 😁
                Z06 coming sometime in September 2022. Will be Hypersonic Gray HTC, two tone red interior, visible carbon fiber wheels, and Z07 with every piece of visible carbon fiber OEM acquire-able.

Comment

The surface face of the outside of the center hub of the carbon fiber wheels has a metal insert (into which the studs are threaded from the back side and from which they stick out on the outside. So even if one were to increase the torque to way beyond 140 foot pounds, there is a metal protection there.

Of course if one wants to inflict damage to any part of our cars, whether it be the paint, glass, tires, body panels themselves, to all Z06 wheels, there nothing to prevent bad people from doing that.

Comment

I never leave my car in a situation where some idiot is remotely tempted...I have found hotels are accommodating if you ask...
                    3lt SOT...cf racing stripe,front lift.mag ride, z51,cf mirrors & spoiler,bright trident wheels,yellow calipers, yellow stitching black leather ,yellow belts,

Comment

Very smart advice. Thanks Tbob.

Comment

I’m thinking that unless you own another C8 or one of a fairly specific section of custom vehicles. Finding a buyer for those wheels is not as simple as say a set of Supra wheels or even a set of Tesla wheels. They are pretty specific width and offset and won’t just fit on any vehicle.

Comment

And need longer studs lol.

Comment

I would be interested in seeing how much quieter the road/tire noise is compared to aluminum wheels. That would be a big selling point for me.

Comment

I agree that is a key question, i.e., does it quiet tire whine. It should but by 5% or 20%. We have so much to yet learn.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X