Adnimation ATF

Collapse

MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 3 < >

Corvette Today: Carbon Revolution, from Australia, Discuss Their Carbon Fiber Wheels

Your CORVETTE TODAY host, Steve Garrett sits down with Tim deSouze from Australia and Brad Lethorn from their North American office. https://youtu.be/F0LBAqkYjY4; https://podcasts.adorilabs.com/corve...rxNOYlIxPjYr24. Tim and Brad talk about the origins of the company, what other car brands they make Carbon Fiber wheels for and the future of Carbon Fiber!It's a fascinating and informative show! Don't miss this episode of CORVETTE TODAY.

Don't miss a single episode of CORVETTE TODAY on podcast and YouTube. Each week's episode launches on Monday at 12 midnight Eastern Time.Listen to the show, watch the YouTube video, join the Facebook group, sign up for email notifications and shop in the CORVETTE TODAY Merchandise Store at:
www.CorvetteTodayPodcast.com
2 of 3 < >

Ten Words Maximum Or POTM’s Disqualified

Every single month people are forgetting how to count to ten — the maximum amount of words in our POTM contest. So starting tomorrow, if your entry exceeds 10 words, it would be DISQUALIFIED for the month. No “re-do’s,” edits. nor substitutions afterward.
3 of 3 < >

2023 Corvette Info Including SR Pricing, SR 2023 Visualizer, 70th Anniversary SR/Z06 Press Release; The C8 Z06 Press Release, Order Guide & Its Visualizer Link

See more
See less

Z06’s LT6 Has Magnetorheological Engine Mounts: Part I

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Z06’s LT6 Has Magnetorheological Engine Mounts: Part I

Skank was right in his predicting this a long, long time ago even before the Z06’s reveal. As Harlan just said a few hours ago at the Sebring Corvette Corral…

Click image for larger version  Name:	A6BBB38B-DF00-43AF-BFE5-BF5CF00181B5.jpg Views:	7240 Size:	105.6 KB ID:	363007

Originally posted by Harlan
    The Z06 has magnetorheological engine mounts. saying, ‘that flat plan crank needed help with vibration.’

Thanks to “Itomn” for being at that presentation and sharing that important piece with us. With him was also “Skank.” For those not familiar with that word, per Wiki with thanks:

Originally posted by Wiki
    A magnetorheological fluid is a type of smart fluid in a carrier fluid, usually a type of oil. When subjected to a magnetic field, the fluid greatly increases its apparent viscosity, to the point of becoming a viscoelastic solid. Importantly, the yield stress of the fluid when in its active ("on") state can be controlled very accurately by varying the magnetic field intensity. The upshot is that the fluid's ability to transmit force can be controlled with an electromagnet, which gives rise to its many possible control-based applications.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetorheological_fluid

As in the Corvette “mag ride” shocks…; whose full name is either “magnetic selective ride control (“MSRC”) or even more full-length is based on its magnetorheological shocks..

Z06 coming late this summer: Hypersonic Gray HTC, two tone blue interior, complete high wing/aero package. CCB’s, with every piece of visible carbon fiber available. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 24 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Picture of Chief Corvette Engineer Josh Holder, Harlan, and Ed Moss, Chassis Engineer at the Sebring presentation.

Click image for larger version  Name:	EC4E4D12-6B0B-492F-A79B-59B9EE9CDED1.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.44 MB ID:	363009

Picture credit to CorvetteBlogger there at Sebring this race weekend.
    Z06 coming late this summer: Hypersonic Gray HTC, two tone blue interior, complete high wing/aero package. CCB’s, with every piece of visible carbon fiber available. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 24 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

Make no mistake! Knowing the conversation he politely responded to questions and said the engine needed some help with the inherent vibration that comes in a flat crank. This is not a bad thing but a technical advancement. Three cheers to GM!!

Comment

Any chance they will be adjustable by user to give more of a visceral feel when your in the mood and a softer one in tour? Made tied into the modes? Or always the same setting to absorb the vibrations

Comment

I am thinking, that may address vibration transmitted to the chassis, but would not address any issues of vibration transmitted to engine components. Or things bolted firmly to the engine, such as the DCT.
          2022 HTC 2LT Z51
          Front lift, mag ride
          black exterior, adrenaline red interior, bright red calipers

Comment

Gm traditionally has one of the longest most arduous validation processes. Somehow Id imagine engine accessories will be designed to operate as long as they do with the LT2 .

valid concern yet my moneys on Corvette engineering

Comment

Since I had the chance to discuss these Magnetorheological powertrain mounts with Harlan today, I noticed that BWI just opened up a new plant North of Bowling Green in Indiana. Here's the article on it and explanations on the powertrain mount functions.

https://magneticsmag.com/magneride-m...tion-facility/

https://www.bwigroup.com/powertrain-mounts/magneto-rheological-powertrain-mounts/

www.BWIgroup.com
              Last edited by Skank; 03-19-2022, 11:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Trans Damm View Post
                Any chance they will be adjustable by user to give more of a visceral feel when your in the mood and a softer one in tour? Made tied into the modes? Or always the same setting to absorb the vibrations
                Great links Skank, and super job of your asking this question and our all learning from your doing it.

After reading the links in Skank’s post two above, with these mounts also having different dampening capabilities based on the amount of electrical input, I do believe that this is how the Z07 as one example is able to be both a much more capable track vehicle than the C7 Z07 was, yet have in touring mode a softer ride, Sure there were other factors such as inherent gains in the ME base architecture, but these MagneRide magnetorheological engine mounts are another overriding, major reason imo.

I believe as Trans Damm’s question asks, that the changes in mode assisted greatly by different amount of current in the engine mounts, is how come Vehicle Performance Manager Alex MacDonald was able to accurate state in this video as he changed the mode from first track, then sport, but the biggest difference in ride/comfort came when he went into touring mode, e.g., his characterizing it after that change to tour as it “now being cross country comfort.” Of course the difference in electrical current to the shocks was the “biggie” in that ride change, but I believe that it also was a simultaneous calibration change to the engine mounts in that same mode change.

This will be a GREAT Bash question and I know the Z06 Engineer who lead the MSRC calibration process over the past few years will be at the Bash. I am going to ask it there.

Here’s the EddieX video with Alex describing (go to 17:00):

Comment

Exactly how these mounts work would be interesting to see. They likely respond to the 2nd harmonic vibration of the engine much like the suspension shocks respond to the ripples in the road. User inputs may not be required - rpm will be the independent variable. Differential mount stiffness and damping will be the dependent variables.

WRT to impact on the engine, DCT, etc. if the mounts actively damp the second harmonic vibration, it will help both chassis AND powertrain component life. Very trick and very cool. I always thought that something like this would be required to tame a FPC V-8 of this displacement.

Comment

Thanks Binger for your teaching us more.

Comment

Also thinking these motor mounts may be tuned to respond to resonant frequencies inherent in all engines, rotational assemblies, etc.. Perhaps using engine speed data to alter mount fluid viscosity (damping) at those engine speeds that produce resonance. Cool stuff!
                      awaiting 2023 SRC Silver Flare 3LT, Z51, FE4 Mag ride, E60 Front lift, TVS low spoiler, 38S red stitching, 3F9 red belts, J6N edge red calipers, RCC edge red engine cover, a few other goodies

4/30/21 initial deposit; 3/24/22 1100; 6/16/22 2000; 6/21/22 3000; 6/23/22 3100; 6/24/22 3300 and TPW of 7/18/22

Comment

Yesterday was very gratifying for not only the Corvette team but for us fans. Being able to discuss and ask questions to Harlan and the engineers at these presentations will always expose thought provoking info about our Corvette. Last year at Laguna Seca I talked with Josh Holder and verified that the C8 Stingray used conventional powertrain mounts. I asked him if Magnetorheological mounts were being used on the Stingray and he said no. Yesterday when talking to Harlan I mentioned that, and after viewing the cutaway Z06 on display I said that since BWI already has had the MR mounts for over a year that it made sense to use them on the Z06. Using progressively baited questions seems to be the least offensive way to get this info. Harlan did acknowledge that they were MR mounts and that it helped with vibration control as well as other performance issues. I mentioned that these mounts maintain driveline stability from the Transaxle DCT to the half shafts then finally the contact patch of the tires during track driving and he and I agreed especially after I watched the Nurburgring videos. I also discussed the potential split rear window configuration that I posted on MECF as well as CF. Mentioning to him that I discussed this with Vlad Capitinov a few years ago at Laguna Seca then a few weeks ago at the Daytona 24hr with Phil Zak was enough to get his attention on this. I told him about the Split Rear Window thread on MECF and he said he would take a look at it. I do believe he and Phil Zak already have seen that thread by Phil Zaks reaction at Daytona, but who knows for sure! Finally I asked him if Corvette Marketing observes other Sportscar forums. I told him of a few threads on MECF of FerrariChat, Porsche Rennlist, Lamborghini, Lotus and McLaren forums that had owner responses and views on the new Z06. Those threads were eye opening to me and he agreed. Overall a very enlightening conversation with Harlan who is clearly very polished at keeping info well controlled and managed. My final comment to him was why haven't they officially mentioned the MR mounts before and he said because there was so much other info to show. ????

Comment

Always wonderful to learn more. Great job Skank.

Comment

MR engine mounts =another benefit. We remember Skank suggesting even before the Stingray was revealed, that he believed that the Z06 would have magnetorheological mounts for exactly the following reason. Was he ever correct!

Originally posted by Skank in a conversation with Harlan
                            Harlan did acknowledge that they were MR mounts and that it helped with vibration control as well as other performance issues. I mentioned that these mounts maintain driveline stability from the Transaxle DCT to the half shafts then finally the contact patch of the tires during track driving and he and I agreed.

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post
                              MR engine mounts =another benefit. We remember Skank suggesting even before the Stingray was revealed, that he believed that the Z06 would have magnetorheological mounts for exactly the following reason. Was he ever correct!
                              Reason #1,989 to buy the new Z06!

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X