See less

The Z06 Wheel Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Z06’s forged wheels, as they are an accessory wheel as you noted, their pricing is something for you to correctly considered. Until a couple of weeks ago count me in among many who missed that both the bronze ones and the graphite gray ones with the red perimeter pin-striping are extra cost due to their being an accessory and therefore an second set of wheels. Thanks for reminding all.
    GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

This is going to be the most difficult decision I'll wrestle with when speccing my Z06, visible carbon is my dream option but I think that will push the price to heights in which I'd start looking at a 570s, the bronze would be my next choice however I hate that it's an accessory wheel package, I have no desire to pay to have two sets of factory wheels.

Comment

Some good factory choices for the Z06. I wasn't a big fan of the stingray wheel options.
        2021 Red Mist HTC / Z51 /Mag Ride / Yellow Calipers / C-Flash Mirrors and Wing / Front Lift / Black 3LT / CF Interior Trim / Yellow Belts and Stitching

Atomic Orange C6. Plenty of engine and suspension mods. Gone, but not forgotten

Comment

Originally posted by Campi View Post
          This is going to be the most difficult decision I'll wrestle with when speccing my Z06, visible carbon is my dream option but I think that will push the price to heights in which I'd start looking at a 570s, the bronze would be my next choice however I hate that it's an accessory wheel package, I have no desire to pay to have two sets of factory wheels.
          I'm tending to totally agree with you Campi. Because I'll be opting for the Z07 Performance pkg while recognizing the fact the Cup 2R tires, which don't take kindly to the street, or last any reasonable amount of time under normal conditions are the only tire that comes with that option. I've accepted the fact I'm going to have to buy a second set of wheels and friendlier street tires like the Pilot Sport 4S's while keeping the wheels and Cup 2R's that come on the car for track days... So, I've accepted the fact I'm going to end up with two sets of wheels and tries for the car anyway. That said, how much am I willing to spend on a second set of wheels and tires for street use?

So, the question for me is, are the accessory wheels Corvette is offering appealing to the eye as much as the aftermarket wheels I've been considering together with, is there price going to save me enough $$$$ to even consider them, seeing as how they're "Forged." So, my plan is to take delivery of the car with whatever wheel comes standard with the Cup 2R's already mounted, and then mount the street 4S tires on whatever I decide on. The Carbon wheels would be really cool and all, but being confronted with having to go with an entirely different set of wheels and tires that's going to drive the cost up anyway makes less sense to me... But that's just my opinion and you know what they say about those.....

Comment

Originally posted by Dyno View Post
            I'm tending to totally agree with you Campi. Because I'll be opting for the Z07 Performance pkg while recognizing the fact the Cup 2R tires
            Same dillema! Depending on pricing I may opt for the Z07 package despite the fact I don't want CUP 2R's, the FIRM where I'll do 90% of my track days is 1.6 miles with fairly significant straights and no long sweeping highspeed turns, I'm guessing based on my amateur driving ability the CUP 2R will make little to know difference in my lap times. That being said I want the AERO package for the look if nothing else and based on previous generation pricing it would be a no brainer to click the Z07 option and get the CCB's which I'd also like as thats the only way to get my desired caliper color. I'll do museum delivery and pre-order some 4'S at my dealer and have them installed once I get done road tripping home. So now I'm leaning towards the machine face wheels to save space in my garage and save a few $$$ to throw at other options such as Z07. Of course GM could disrupt all my plans by pricing the carbon fiber wheels @ 9995 and then I'll have to start considering those hahah. What a wild year it's gonna be while waiting to specc my car!

Comment

Originally posted by Campi View Post
              Same dillema! Depending on pricing I may opt for the Z07 package despite the fact I don't want CUP 2R's, the FIRM where I'll do 90% of my track days is 1.6 miles with fairly significant straights and no long sweeping highspeed turns, I'm guessing based on my amateur driving ability the CUP 2R will make little to know difference in my lap times. That being said I want the AERO package for the look if nothing else and based on previous generation pricing it would be a no brainer to click the Z07 option and get the CCB's which I'd also like as thats the only way to get my desired caliper color. I'll do museum delivery and pre-order some 4'S at my dealer and have them installed once I get done road tripping home. So now I'm leaning towards the machine face wheels to save space in my garage and save a few $$$ to throw at other options such as Z07. Of course GM could disrupt all my plans by pricing the carbon fiber wheels @ 9995 and then I'll have to start considering those hahah. What a wild year it's gonna be while waiting to specc my car!
              I truly believe the single option(s) that will drive the price tag up on the Z06 will be all the carbon fiber goodies. Granted, the Z07, 3LZ and perhaps the level 2 CF interior package are the largest, but then, when people get carried away with the exposed CF aero and additional accents all over the car, that's what's going to drive everything up.... Maybe I'm just old school, but it appears a lot of people are losing their minds over the exposed CF. I have to admit, I've really grown to like it as well, but I also believe it's often way over priced and rated...

Comment

Originally posted by Dyno View Post
                I also believe it's often way over priced and rated...
                Like other's have said I believe exposed carbon fiber is the current generations chrome. It'll look great in its time but future generations will wonder what the heck we were thinking. For that reason I'll be forgoing all the carbon bits on the interior unless I do adrenaline dipped, and on the exterior I'll save a couple dollars and get the same exact look from afar going with carbon flash painted aero. If the wheels are in my price range I'm gonna opt for painted wheels.

Comment

I am with many of the comments about visible carbon fiber being a “visual with it” in- thing, but saving 1 to 1 1/2 second per two minute lap just by changing the wheels from the Z07’s lightweight forged aluminum ones to the Z07’s available super-lightweight carbon fiber wheels is a massive performance improvement. Some have estimated that as the equivalent of gaining up to 60 HP on some tracks, at least 30 more HP on others.

What if GM had rated the Z07 as having 700 HP but not offering a carbon fiber wheel. Would that have gotten a massive amount of attention? Or how about 730 HP but again no option of carbon fiber wheels?

Of course as we know and let’s just guess that the painted carbon fiber wheels are $9,995/set and yet $11,995 for visible carbon fiber wheels/set. That extra $2,000 is worth not even 0.0001 second per lap difference.
                  GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

John I agree, that removing 40lbs of unsprung mass is huge and probably equates to a significant performance enhancement, that being said even though I'll be tracking the car, my home track and where I'll be spending 90% , the FIRM, time the advantage would probably equate to .5 second or so with a professional behind the wheel. If GM options the painted version below 10k ie 9,995 I'd most likely tick the box but it will be so I can say I have them when i show up to Caffeine and Octane.

Comment

• Originally posted by John View Post
                      I am with many of the comments about visible carbon fiber being a “visual with it” in- thing, but saving 1 to 1 1/2 second per two minute lap just by changing the wheels from the Z07’s lightweight forged aluminum ones to the Z07’s available super-lightweight carbon fiber wheels is a massive performance improvement. Some have estimated that as the equivalent of gaining up to 60 HP on some tracks, at least 30 more HP on others.

What if GM had rated the Z07 as having 700 HP but not offering a carbon fiber wheel. Would that have gotten a massive amount of attention? Or how about 730 HP but again no option of carbon fiber wheels?

Of course as we know and let’s just guess that the painted carbon fiber wheels are $9,995/set and yet $11,995 for visible carbon fiber wheels/set. That extra $2,000 is worth not even 0.0001 second per lap difference.
                      What you've said here is absolutely true John, and I'm in total agreement with the CF wheels possibly improving lap times up to 2.0 seconds. But, in who's hands? I retired from professional racing where every last ounce counted as well as careful placement of sprung weight as well. We spent an exorbitant amount of money on placing Titanium and magnesium everywhere we could to extract that last ounce of unsprung weight and sprung weight in critical areas. The reason was to win races, which equated into $$$$.... One other thing, in order to win you've got to be willing to put everything on the line in order to do so. So, there was a direct correlation between the amount of risk you were willing to take and the amount of $$$$ you were going to win. It was all driven by $$$$... Are any of us willing to do that, or in that position? I think not.

You said it yourself, the majority of us are likely incapable of extracting everything this new Z06 and Z07 is capable of by those that might decide to participate in an open track day. I'm in total agreement with you on that. So, as far as the majority of those MECF members in a position to buy this new Z06/Z07, the real question is, are they really capable of taking full advantage of the 2.0 seconds in their lap times and is it going to make little or no difference whatsoever? Personally, I've reached an age and point in my life where I'm not willing to push that hard, so isn't going to make any difference... Especially if our wives are present... I'm sure many can relate to that.

But then, I'm sure there are those who simply want them for aesthetics and to separate themselves from everyone else who aren't prepared to spend $9,995 or $11,995 for a set of wheels. I guess it all boils down to priorities... I apologize to anyone this might offend in anyway, but it's my honest to goodness opinion on the subject...
                      Dyno
                      Forum Founding Member
                      Last edited by Dyno; 12-04-2021, 01:50 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Campi View Post

Like other's have said I believe exposed carbon fiber is the current generations chrome. It'll look great in its time but future generations will wonder what the heck we were thinking. For that reason I'll be forgoing all the carbon bits on the interior unless I do adrenaline dipped, and on the exterior I'll save a couple dollars and get the same exact look from afar going with carbon flash painted aero. If the wheels are in my price range I'm gonna opt for painted wheels.
                        I hope this is not the case in regards to comparing CF to chrome. No doubt, today chrome wheels look dated.

I was looking forward to going out to garage and admiring the CF weave on the c8z.

I wonder if alcantara will look dated in future as well?

Comment

• Originally posted by Campi View Post
                          John I agree, that removing 40lbs of unsprung mass is huge and probably equates to a significant performance enhancement, that being said even though I'll be tracking the car, my home track and where I'll be spending 90% , the FIRM, time the advantage would probably equate to .5 second or so with a professional behind the wheel. If GM options the painted version below 10k ie 9,995 I'd most likely tick the box but it will be so I can say I have them when i show up to Caffeine and Octane.
                          To me the visible carbon fiber wheel sis 100% appearance for I do not track my car. Color me crazy — and I will not dispute that assessment. At the same time, how many races is omeone going to win if they are consistently losing 1/2 second per lap on your home track to others whose only difference between the two cars is 41 pounds of unsprung weight due to one having the carbon fiber wheel substitution from the other’s car having already lightweight forged aluminum wheels?

If you are are wanting to learn more about the stopwatch assessment of the Corvette team that on an average two minute track lap, it is between a 1 second and a 1/2 second lap improvement merely by bringing in a Z07 with forged wheels and doing an immediate change out and with the same driver, same car, immediately afterwards instead putting on the carbon fiber wheel son that Z07, please when you next see Tadge, Alex MacDonald (Vehicle Performance Manager) and Aaron Link (Lead Development Engineer who have all stated that performance difference, ask them to amplify their comments to you. I can only add that this is the margin of performance difference is one they measured at one of the Milford Proving Ground tracks — which sure could well be very different in nature than your home one. They found similar margins on other tracks but I did not ask which other ones they were referring to. Sorry but i was more intent at staring at these below, e.g., lam (laughing at myself).

Click image for larger version

Name:	CD969C7D-F199-4791-9C62-1D66B98F89CB.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	257.0 KB
ID:	335917

Comment

• Originally posted by Cerberus View Post

I hope this is not the case in regards to comparing CF to chrome. No doubt, today chrome wheels look dated.

I was looking forward to going out to garage and admiring the CF weave on the c8z.

I wonder if alcantara will look dated in future as well?
                            Welcome Cerberus. You sure are right that some current trends on what is “in” in vehicles fade away. Wonder what will be visually “in” in ten years? Maybe tuck and roll upholstery will have returned? (Which I had in my ‘56 Chevy show car that won one interior award after another lol).

If I might please address alcantara (or microsuede which is what GM uses as it is not a trademarked product), when a friend of mine (a MECF member) had a day to play, he chose to go from one exotic car dealership to another (the whole day) and every single vehicle over $200,000 he saw had alcantara due not just to its being in but because leather is way heavier than microsuede or equivalent. Does that amount to a 10 pound per car improvement? Don’t know but know the weight difference is of importance to many — as of course is to others have an “in” suede interior.

Update: I just looked it up and going from leather to alcantara/suede or equivalent is between a 50% and an 80% weight savings.

Thanks for joining our community.

Comment

Welcome Cerberus. You sure are right that some current trends on what is “in” in vehicles fade away. Wonder what will be visually “in” in ten years? Maybe tuck and roll upholstery will have returned? (Which I had in my ‘56 Chevy show car that won one interior award after another lol).

If I might please address alcantara (or microsuede which is what GM uses as it is not a trademarked product), when a friend of mine (a MECF member) had a day to play, he chose to go from one exotic car dealership to another (the whole day) and every single vehicle over $200,000 he saw had alcantara due not just to its being in but because leather is way heavier than microsuede or equivalent. Does that amount to a 10 pound per car improvement? Don’t know but know the weight difference is of importance to many — as of course is to others have an “in” suede interior.

Update: I just looked it up and going from leather to alcantara/suede or equivalent is between a 50% and an 80% weight savings.

Thanks for joining our community.

Glad to be part of the community!

Look forward to the discussions to pass the time as we wait for our Z06's.

Thanks

Comment

To me the visible carbon fiber wheel sis 100% appearance for I do not track my car. Color me crazy — and I will not dispute that assessment. At the same time, how many races is omeone going to win if they are consistently losing 1/2 second per lap on your home track to others whose only difference between the two cars is 41 pounds of unsprung weight due to one having the carbon fiber wheel substitution from the other’s car having already lightweight forged aluminum wheels?

If you are are wanting to learn more about the stopwatch assessment of the Corvette team that on an average two minute track lap, it is between a 1 second and a 1/2 second lap improvement merely by bringing in a Z07 with forged wheels and doing an immediate change out and with the same driver, same car, immediately afterwards instead putting on the carbon fiber wheel son that Z07, please when you next see Tadge, Alex MacDonald (Vehicle Performance Manager) and Aaron Link (Lead Development Engineer who have all stated that performance difference, ask them to amplify their comments to you. I can only add that this is the margin of performance difference is one they measured at one of the Milford Proving Ground tracks — which sure could well be very different in nature than your home one. They found similar margins on other tracks but I did not ask which other ones they were referring to. Sorry but i was more intent at staring at these below, e.g., lam (laughing at myself).

Click image for larger version

Name:	CD969C7D-F199-4791-9C62-1D66B98F89CB.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	257.0 KB
ID:	335917
                                John, thank you! This is one of the most honest straight forward responses I've ever read.... Something came to me though, in regards to the results for lap times at either the Milford Proving Grounds or the Nurburgring.... In all likelihood the people making those laps are by far more consistent and far better drivers than the rest of us. I'm sure some think they are, but that would remain to be seen....

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X