See less

The Z06 Wheel Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good points as always. Thanks Binger. I have declared there will be no +30G potholes where I drive lol.
    GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

Who here is seriously considering Carbon Fiber wheels. My guess is that they will be at least $10k if not more.Personally, I think the Forged “base” wheels have a far better looking design. While the finish is nice and unique on the carbon fiber wheels, the design of them, to my eye, looks really simplistic and bland. I am probably in the minority with that opinion but I am not a fan of their design.

Also, I cannot imagine bringing my massive $10k plus carbon fiber rims to my local chevy dealership or local tire shop to have wheels mounted…cringe….

Comment

I am seriously considering the visible carbon fiber rims. Their top ten clean-ability rating speaks to us (less spokes to clean equals more driving time). Pricing however will be the determinant for we really like the forged spider ones too. And we have yet to see aftermarkets. Nice we are going to have three good categories of choices
        GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

Are the base "forged aluminium" wheels TRUE/FULLY forged (like the Aerolarri's) or are they one of the other "flow-formed" semi-forged?
          Also, what are these "potholes" you guys keep talking about? We don't have those Down Under 😁

Comment

They say FORGED on them. But we have yet to get further definition.

Comment

Originally posted by 11ZSenator View Post
              Are the base "forged aluminium" wheels TRUE/FULLY forged (like the Aerolarri's) or are they one of the other "flow-formed" semi-forged?
              Also, what are these "potholes" you guys keep talking about? We don't have those Down Under 😁
              Here you go mate! Drive your supercar through that!

Click image for larger version

Name:	34B7B4CB-99A2-4D42-92D1-430AF9E26F96.gif
Views:	168
Size:	644.0 KB
ID:	326962
              Black over Sky Cool Gray.....2LT.....Z51.....FE4.....E60.....

Comment

VCF wheels on Z06: Interview with Carbon Revolution’s lead person. https://www.6pr.com.au/carbon-revolu...-and-corvette/

Comment

Originally posted by Meldoon View Post

Name:	34B7B4CB-99A2-4D42-92D1-430AF9E26F96.gif
Views:	168
Size:	644.0 KB
ID:	326962
                  OMG mate I have seriously NEVER seen anything like that on a road down here! Sure, we get the odd small one after a heavy downpour now-n-then but they get re-filled pretty quick. That one would almost class as a 'Lake' 😁. So now I understand all the commentary on potholes and damage to wheels. I'd be fitting wooden-wagon-wheels if I were you guys 😁 (sorry for my poor humor)

Comment

Originally posted by Meldoon View Post

Click image for larger version  Name:	34B7B4CB-99A2-4D42-92D1-430AF9E26F96.gif Views:	24 Size:	644.0 KB ID:	326962
                    That is easy my new truck comes out in the winter for the special occasions the Corvette stays. My work truck is my daily is the winter. But our winters are not much and the roads don't see many huge craters like one.

The Corvettes can come out on dry days. But not there too much debris on the road. Snow here never hangs around. 45 is an average winter day. I will not drive my Corvette's on any wet slick snowy day never have. Corvette's least mine are mostly summer cars! Besides you should see one like that and drive around it or over it but not with the wheels. Some drive better than others!

But easy to see in the photo why you don't least I will not put just winter tires on my Corvette and drive it!
                    Period on hard winter days like this. Look at the salt gravel on the road 1 winter of that and your cars paint and windshield will be chipped up PPF or not car is no longer pristine!
                    3 Z06ZR1
                    Sr. Contributor
                    Last edited by 3 Z06ZR1; 11-04-2021, 11:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post
                      Tadge noted that when they first presented their minimum structural specs for the visible carbon fiber wheel to Carbon Revolutions, that CR was not sure they could do that, e.g. breakage/impact requirements and more.

But with GM engineers working with them = CR met or exceeded every one of GM’s specs.

Of course could a small rock chip visually mar the vis CF wheels’ appearance? Of course. So like everything in life there will be a risk for those who buy the Z06’s vis CF wheels. BTW, count me in that group.
                      I would get my carbon wheels painted. Then not worry about little chips! The exposed carbon weave showing doesn't do much for me! But I do like the light weight!

Comment

There is a OEM option to purchase the carbon fiber wheels painted. They will cost less that way. That is how they use those wheels who upon final inspection while structurally sound, have an aesthetic blem when made in their outermost layer, either a wavy weave or an very small air bubble deemed non structural.

Click image for larger version  Name:	A199D0F1-3700-4417-A551-F0839C77D4BD.png Views:	60 Size:	5.72 MB ID:	327336

Comment

I really want the visible CF wheels. I have no concerns about the quality of roads in my area and the car won't be my daily driver. But, I have a feeling that they will be above what I'm willing to spend on that type of option. I could see paying $10-12K extra for them, but if they were $15-20K then I'd probably pass, or consider the painted version for the weight savings. The packages on the GT500 include many other options besides the wheels and are 20" where we'll need 20" front and 21" rear.

Name:	GT500 1.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	21.1 KB
ID:	327450

Name:	GT500 2.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	327451

I suppose it's possible that GM will in a sense subsidize the price for getting them out on the road. Just like it seems they do with the carbon ceramic brakes when purchased with the Z07 package for the C7. CCB were a $7495 option but the Z07 package with them and many other performance enhancements was only $7995. I also wonder if it's possible that they will pair other options with the CF wheels like Ford has done. Hopefully we can get them as a standalone option. Based on Ford's pricing I think it might be reasonable to get the wheels themselves as a $9K option for the painted CF and $12K for exposed CF
                          Put deposit down for 2020 C8 in July 2019, gave up my allocation to wait for the Z06, plan on getting Hypersonic Gray Z07 HTC with as much CF as possible

Comment

Thanks for you reasoned analysis. I am hoping for $10K for the vis CF’s.

Comment

Originally posted by dcbingaman View Post

You show me the difference between a 30G pothole and a 60G pothole and I'll be sure to avoid the 60G pothole. There are no potholes on race tracks, so I can see why GM offers these things, but for everyday driving, I don't think so.

I had scrupulously avoided potholes and other such dreck with the Silver Bullet and I still have one (slightly) bent cast front wheel. The mechanic showed me a slight wobble that wasn't there the last time she was in. I swear I never hit anything, but stuff happens. Forged wheels are stronger and bend less. Fortunately it is not bad enough to feel in the steering wheel so we are watching it to see if it effects tire wear.
                              Perhaps not pot holes but there are curbs and sometimes you drop a wheel off the track. Turn 10 at VIR is known for bending rims if you turn in a bit early and hit the end of the apex curb. I've bent more than one rim there.

Comment

For sure. As you noted, hitting an apex the wrong way can wreak havoc on rims.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X