See less

The Z06 Wheel Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have had CF wheels on my race bikes and while there are benefits, there are also downsides. Cost, inherent damage just from use, breakage (have seen fronts crack on the street and the rears get the hubs ripped out from a good hooking track and high HP bike), and as mentioned a shop willing to mount/dismount tires. I plan to go aftermarket wheels as soon as I take delivery so I am not even in the market for the CF wheel option. But those few that do will have a very exclusive Z06 I think.

Comment

Tadge noted that when they first presented their minimum structural specs for the visible carbon fiber wheel to Carbon Revolutions, that CR was not sure they could do that, e.g. breakage/impact requirements and more.

But with GM engineers working with them = CR met or exceeded every one of GM’s specs.

Of course could a small rock chip visually mar the vis CF wheels’ appearance? Of course. So like everything in life there will be a risk for those who buy the Z06’s vis CF wheels. BTW, count me in that group.
      GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post
        Tadge noted that when they first presented their minimum structural specs for the visible carbon fiber wheel to Carbon Revolutions, that CR was not sure they could do that, e.g. breakage/impact requirements and more.

But with GM engineers working with them = CR met or exceeded every one of GM’s specs.

Of course could a small rock chip visually mar the vis CF wheels’ appearance? Of course. So like everything in life there will be a risk for those who buy the Z06’s vis CF wheels. BTW, count me in that group.
        BTW folks, CR are an Aussie mob and we make great stuff Down Under 😁

Comment

Yes you do!
          GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

Ready !!!! Here to help
            Click image for larger version

Name:	C8BASE_Z06WHEELS.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	323.6 KB
ID:	326436

Comment

That is a great looking car and set of wheels. Do I ever look the clean-ability of them? Will you be making them looking like that but in aluminum for the SR? The Z06?

Comment

1lt with CF wheels is my order!

Comment

Vis CF wheels are quieter too! How nice. Plus so much more in this video about their manufacture by Carbon Revolutions for our Z06’s.

Video description:

Name:	71ED9BFA-1D55-452E-9C4A-0B1546810972.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	248.3 KB
ID:	326572

Let’s hear that again, i.e., that visible CF’s wheels are quieter too. And as we all know their much less unsprung mass is the holy grail of sports car handling.

Comment

Whereas the above video was made one year go, here is a six year old video also made by CR that gives us more insight into the manufacturing process.

When Tadge was showing Keith and me the 21’ diameter, 13” wide rear wheels after we had individually picked it up, he pointed out that the bead on the inside edge (the unsupported edges where there are obviously no spokes) was about 3/4” in diameter.

Comment

All Z06’s standard wheels are forged, coming now in five visual choices as shown below (but missing the bronze wheel option also available). Then there is also the optional either painted carbon fiber wheels or visible carbon fiber wheels.

As Tadge noted, take two identical Z06s, one with the standard forged wheels and the other with the carbon fiber ones, and on a 2 minute average track lap the carbon fiber wheels will be between a 1 second and 1/2 seconds faster on its average lap speed.

From the visualizer:

Click image for larger version  Name:	6E2A00BE-B559-40CC-8731-8EC44ACB85E5.jpg Views:	0 Size:	182.4 KB ID:	326631

Comment

Chew on this !!!! C8 fitment.

Name:	MRR-BASE-Z06.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	510.9 KB
ID:	326761

Comment

Those are very pretty.

Comment

Carbon fiber (IM7 or Cytec 5320 resin with carbon fiber weave using ply orientations of 0/45/90/45/0) works great for wing skins and filament wound fuselage barrels. Everything else is better done in forged metal (aluminum, titanium or 306 stainless steel). Take it from a chief aerospace engineer. I will take a forged wheel any day over a CE wheel.

Out-of-plane loads are very hard to deal with using CE composite because the material properties are very heterogenous. Forged metal has a strong 3D crystal lattice which is very homogenous. The spoke - barrel interface is the issue. Tell me exactly HOW you put the carbon fibers in tension at this joint ? The fibers just buckle in compression. CE composite puts the resin in shear and compression at this interface to hold the carbon fibers together, which is about like putting dried spaghetti in compression - not good.

WRT the Visualizer, I really like the Machine Face Spiders - very classy looking. Here's my Red Rocket build so far. Nothing too outlandish - just Candy Apple Red (err, Red Mist) and black carbon flash. Hopefully they will still have this color in MY2025 when they build my order, LOL !!

Name:	Red Rocket.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	326771

Comment

While 100 % of what you posted is excellent and useful analysis, GM said to Carbon Revolutions your wheels meet be 30G impact requirements without damage, something you are going to have to prove they do. And they did. Ferrari and Ford GT’s come in optional CF wheels from Carbon Revolutions also.

I too really like the machine faced spiders. You have built a beauty!

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post
                                While 100 % of what you posted is excellent and useful analysis, GM said to Carbon Revolutions your wheels meet be 30G impact requirements without damage, something you are going to have to prove they do. And they did. Ferrari and Ford GT’s come in optional CF wheels from Carbon Revolutions also.

I too really like the machine faced spiders. You have built a beauty!
                                You show me the difference between a 30G pothole and a 60G pothole and I'll be sure to avoid the 60G pothole. There are no potholes on race tracks, so I can see why GM offers these things, but for everyday driving, I don't think so.

I had scrupulously avoided potholes and other such dreck with the Silver Bullet and I still have one (slightly) bent cast front wheel. The mechanic showed me a slight wobble that wasn't there the last time she was in. I swear I never hit anything, but stuff happens. Forged wheels are stronger and bend less. Fortunately it is not bad enough to feel in the steering wheel so we are watching it to see if it effects tire wear.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X