Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Z06 Wheel Thread

Two Z06 wheels known so far…

We thank CorvetteBlogger and its photographers for giving us clear shots of two different Z06 wheels. We separately concluded yesterday that one of them is made visible carbon fiber (except for its inner barrel). As we know that will be a $10K or maybe a $15K option. The other one is aluminum.

Initial reviews of these wheels seems to be pretty positive by potential buyers. I know I like both.

First revealed a long time ago was the “tuning fork wheel.”

Click image for larger version  Name:	6E76700E-4341-4F2F-A4DB-801460F5AD07.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	61.5 KB ID:	300190

Thanks to Autoblog for center hub details:

Click image for larger version  Name:	EE81FF7C-1E5F-4E7D-B4F0-77F03F07E155.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	496.8 KB ID:	300198

The eBay leaked, visible carbon fiber ones were also revealed a long time ago too, but yesterday became our first proof that they would be on the Z06. Here first is how they appeared at the Nurburgring yesterday, then our earlier eBay pictures. do we call these these easy to clean ones the “twisters,” the five spokers, or can someone come up with a better name for them?

Click image for larger version  Name:	6FB3D347-A78F-4905-B503-FB20CBF8AE7D.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	734.9 KB ID:	300192

Click image for larger version  Name:	FADBA4D1-8342-494F-AF51-55AA860AF4D9.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	372.8 KB ID:	300191

Click image for larger version  Name:	0E8BF1D0-DA56-44A5-972B-8B8664BD8A37.jpeg Views:	4 Size:	170.6 KB ID:	300193 Click image for larger version  Name:	1A679004-0A3F-4C69-B7BB-0DFA18F22E36.jpeg Views:	4 Size:	274.8 KB ID:	300194 Click image for larger version  Name:	877D1D02-15F2-4178-A89A-99CDB6DB1CC5.jpeg Views:	3 Size:	275.2 KB ID:	300195 Click image for larger version  Name:	FEBF70E0-4F82-442B-992C-DF7784AA5418.jpeg Views:	3 Size:	832.1 KB ID:	300196

GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

I would love to have those carbon fiber wheels, but I might end up being afraid to drive the car for fear of injuring one of them.
    Black over Sky Cool Gray.....2LT.....Z51.....FE4.....E60.....

Comment

Thoughts about the carbon fiber wheel pricing. I believe but am not sure they were $15,000 for the Ford Mustang Shelby GT. They will not be cheap that we know. But might they be offered both in a visible carbon fiber version and a painted version which we saw yesterday, the latter at a lower price but with 99.99% the benefits of unsprung weight of the visible CF ones.

Looking back to the C7 Z06 we witnessed then that GM offered the aero set made of pure carbon fiber at a cost of $2,995 if they were painted over with carbon flash metallic black paint, but $1,000 more if they were visible carbon fiber. Both met 100% the same structural standards, but as those involved in the world of carbon fiber know, it is getting the top visible layer to be free of unwanted waviness and free of tiny-but-visible air bubbles that makes the difference. The Z06’s aero sets were all made at the same time and when they were finished they were inspected, with those having waviness and/or visible but not structural air bubbles going into the $2,995 option line, and those that were visibly beautiful going into the $3,995 option line.

BTW, the same was true of the non-translucent C7 coupe roofs, that those that were visually perfect were sold as vis CF’s, those that were not acceptable when inspected, were then painted body color.

’To make visible carbon fiber wheels with that exterior layer being visually-perfect is going to be way harder than laying it out on a more or less straight splitter or a rocker. So, and of course I am guessing here, I am thinking we could see a full $5,000 difference for the Z06 wheels which are structurally the same but one is visually pristine, the second one being painted over.

Therefore will we actually have three Z06 wheel options?
      GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

Originally posted by Meldoon View Post
        I would love to have those carbon fiber wheels, but I might end up being afraid to drive the car for fear of injuring one of them.
        You have hit the nail on the head. I had already had that same conversation with myself. Separately for track folks who value and need lower unsprung weight way more than us street folks, I was talking to one of our members who is a dedicated track person our agreeing that if you hit on apex wrong, you can more easily crack a carbon fiber wheel than an aluminum one — so a conundrum for them too.

Comment

I would also be very careful who I take the wheels to for a tire change!

The tire changers are not going to want to warranty any damage that might happen since they have no experience with CF wheels.

I installed the tires on the CF wheels for my Desmosidici but that's a motorcycle.

Maybe the GM dealer would be the best choice since they sold the wheels.

Comment

i was just checking out internet articles on how much a single vis CF wheel costs to replace when damaged and the costs were up to $7,340 for just one replacement wheel (not counting install). That is a massive OUCH!

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post

You have hit the nail on the head. I had already had that same conversation with myself. Separately for track folks who value and need lower unsprung weight way more than us street folks, I was talking to one of our members who is a dedicated track person our agreeing that if you hit on apex wrong, you can more easily crack a carbon fiber wheel than an aluminum one — so a conundrum for them too.
              Absolutely true. Most of the GT500 CFTP folks take off the CF wheels immediately and store them whether tracking or street driving for fear of ruining them. Which really defeats the purpose of course but that's that. For me, I just would like some really nice forged wheels choices. I won't be tracking the car so CF wheels/brakes not necessary for me however I would like the z07 track aero for the looks.

Comment

The wheels on the Milford mule will suit me just fine. Much nicer than any of the Stingray offerings.

Comment

Vetted53, that sure did not take you long to update your avatar. NICE!

Comment

I'm thinking - since Cadillac is offering magnesium wheels on V-Series Blackwing - would it be possible that Z06 could come with Magnesium wheel option?

Regardless of carbon fiber wheel crack - magnesium wheels are also susceptible to curb damage in a much harsher way than aluminum wheels too. I chipped and cracked a few magnesium kart wheels during my tenure. But I think it's a better compromise to live with than CF wheel cracking and aluminum wheel weight
                    Follow me @smurf.vette on Instagram -- https://www.instagram.com/smurf.vette

Comment

KK876, good thinking from where I am looking at things and I would bet yes. That could well be a third wheel option.

Here’s a possibility, were the eBay visible carbon fiber wheels which were several years ago a feasibility project then, but with GM since learning how Ford has stopped offering them and even most of their owners took them off when brand new and got daily wheels, that the wheels we saw on the N’Ring Z06 yesterday while looking identical to the vis CF wheels, were reallyactually magnesium ones but shaped identically to look just like the vis CF project ones were???

At the same time we recognize that while mag wheels are less weight than aluminum wheels, they are all else being comparable, more brittle as you mentioned. So might we get a mag/aluminum forged combination material wheel? Where then the wheels we see here of that mixed magnesium/aluminum composition?

Click image for larger version  Name:	3F40557F-B56B-4FF8-832F-3505D8CCA449.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	785.3 KB ID:	300342

So much for us to learn.

Comment

Entry Z wheel? Well maybe. But this Z06 has no dive planes and a wheel different than we have been seeing — that it is clearly not a new wheel as CorvetteBlogger found it for us many, many months ago. I like this tuning fork wheel and glad it is still in play.

Is this wheel not entry specific? Is it magnesium? Is the five spoker magnesium or painted over visible carbon fiber? So much to learn.

Click image for larger version

Name:	8C8FC5D6-E8C0-440A-9BA7-D970745EDE5B.jpeg
Views:	998
Size:	374.5 KB
ID:	301164

Name:	D3F8A867-D154-422E-833A-C8BB5D33D2D1.jpeg
Views:	972
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	301165

Comment

We also have pics with Z06 with the aero but these wheels. My guess is that these are the base wheels, Z07 package contains no special wheels and the 5-spoke carbon wheels are optional

Name:	2023-Chevrolet-Corvette-Z06-Scoop-33.jpg
Views:	1033
Size:	404.1 KB
ID:	301289

Comment

Those immediately above are good looking wheels to my wife and me.

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post

And just think about hitting a big pot hole on the road with those super low profile rubber rim protectors and CF wheels.
                              Delivered 5/29!: Scarlet Fever 2021 2LT HTC, Red Mist Metallic Tintcoat, two-tone Natural w/ suede inserts, Mag Ride, Performance Exhaust

Gone but not forgotten: SunKissed, 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club: https://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org/

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X