Touch More C8 LT2 Info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Touch More C8 LT2 Info

i love to learn even fractions more about Corvette motors. Here, thanks to GM Authority, is some interesting info on the LT2 having a smoother idle and a little more.

Click image for larger version

Name:	8351B216-5AD9-4586-B567-06154382AFC1.jpeg
Views:	2070
Size:	252.1 KB
ID:	92630

Originally posted by GM Authority
    Much of the LT2’s additional power can be attributed to how much better it breathes,” Chevy says. That includes the intake manifold, which is bigger and taller compared to the LT1, up to 14.1 liters from the LT1’s 11.1 liters. The intake uses a low-restriction design with identical 210-mm-long intake runners, unlike the unequal-length runners on the LT1. This improves output and increases flow, with three-percent power gains compared to the LT1’s intake manifold. The LT2 also uses an 87-mm throttle body.

On the other side of the combustion chamber, the 2020 Corvette engine comes with a ground-up exhaust redesign specifically tailored for the mid-engine application. This includes high-flow pipes and a four-into-one design with twisted runners that help to ease the stress of thermal expansion. The runners are all roughly 330 mm in length. The end result is a 1-percent power increase compared to the LT1.

The LT2 exhaust also has new catalytic converters, with one split-volume catalyst per cylinder bank. This is a simplification over the two cats used on the LT1, and makes for a more economical design overall. Additionally, the LT2 can activate the new exhaust-scrubbers earlier thanks to new engine tuning, thus lowering emissions by 25 percent.

The 2020 Corvette engine gets a new camshaft profile too, with an extra 1 mm of exhaust lift, now up to 14 mm. This matches the intake side, with increased duration for both profiles to take advantage of the engine’s higher flow. Critically, the LT2 has a very stable idle, even more so than that of the LT1, thanks primarily to a new wide-range air-fuel sensor (WRAF). Finally, Chevy says the LT2 retains variable valve timing, with 62 crank degrees of cam phasing authority.

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2019/11/...-from-the-lt1/
    GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5ZZ high wing; 5VM vis CF ground effects pkg; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards. Separately getting from my dealer RCC Edge Red engine cover and 5JR vis CF mirror caps.

Lifetime, annual contributors, and 20+ year members of National Corvette Museum.

An exhaust scrubber? What is that please?

Comment

There are an almost infinite number and types of "scrubbers". The term "scrubber" should not be associated with the more common terminology that we would typically use in the household! Scrubbers are most noted for use in industrial applications to clean up exhaust gas emissions. In transportation use, I'd bet they were first used on diesel applications before being used on gasoline fueled internal combustion engines. Most types can either be classified as "wet" or "dry" scrubbers. Below is a general definition from Wikipedia.

"Scrubber systems (e.g. chemical scrubbers, gas scrubbers) are a diverse group of air pollution control devices that can be used to remove some particulates and/or gases from industrial exhaust streams. The first air scrubber was designed to remove carbon dioxide from the air of an early submarine, the Ictineo I, a role for which they continue to be used today.[1] Traditionally, the term "scrubber" has referred to pollution control devices that use liquid to wash unwanted pollutants from a gas stream. Recently, the term has also been used to describe systems that inject a dry reagent or slurry into a dirty exhaust stream to "wash out" acid gases. Scrubbers are one of the primary devices that control gaseous emissions, especially acid gases. Scrubbers can also be used for heat recovery from hot gases by flue-gas condensation.[2] They are also used for the high flows in solar, PV, or LED processes."
      GD0 Accelerate Yellow Metallic; 3LT; HUE Natural Napa Leather; AE4 Competition Sport Seats; FA5 CF Interior Trim; Z51; FE4 Mag Ride Suspension; E60 Front Lift; Q8Q CF Open Spoke Wheels; J6F BR Brembo Calipers; DTH CF Racing Stripes; ZZ3 Engine App Package; VQK Splash Guards; ERI Battery Protection; R8C Museum Delivery

Comment

Critically, the LT2 has a very stable idle, even more so than that of the LT1
        Aw, I like the slightly lumpy idle of the LT1. I hope that's not what they're talking about.
        SunKissed, my 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible (One of about 40)

Purchased 5/2/2015,
        >35,000+ miles

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out http://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

The schizoid riddle in the Corvette idle is sacred from way-back. Mourn the passing. Then a reserrection please. The very lumpy is even more primal Corvette.

Did they save it for the Z06 .
          Last edited by SheepDog; 11-27-2019, 12:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by C8Driving View Post
            An exhaust scrubber? What is that please?
            They are referring to the CAT's.

Comment

"The intake uses a low-restriction design with identical 210-mm-long intake runners, unlike the unequal-length runners on the LT1. This improves output and increases flow, with three-percent power gains compared to the LT1’s intake manifold."

Thanks for info. I was glad when I heard the C8 would have the LT1/2. Tried and proven, and now improved more.

Comment

Originally posted by meyerweb View Post

Aw, I like the slightly lumpy idle of the LT1. I hope that's not what they're talking about.
                Yes to this, I liked that I could actually feel the engine running in my Camaro.
                The greatest sound in the world is a Rolls Royce Merlin over 100 inches.

1LT, Elkhart Lake Blue, Adrenaline red seats, Z51, FE4, Bright Silver 5-open spoke wheels, chrome emblems

Comment

Yes. I think the LT2 is sounding like it will have less snarl or attitude than the LT1. Will be interested to see what the differences are. I am so excited about the design that it will not be a big deal to me as long as I have the NPP.

Comment

There was nothing as nice as the lumpy idle on my 1964 C2 with the solid lifter engine, valve clearances set at 030 and 030. Stumbled along with an idle at 750 rpm

Comment

I had a 13 Boss 302 and the track key would unleash the lumpy cam sound. Really cool and old school. It also had side pipes from the factory that had plates that could be removed. Or change the plates hole size for different sounds. Plates removed was way too loud for street driving but not at the track. Great sounding small block for sure at WOT.
                      RED ,C8. 2LT Z51.black wheels and trim. .... Order status 3000 TPW 2/24

Comment

The engine sounds like it will be another good step up in the Corvette engines. Has anyone been able to determine where the oil drain plug is? I have seen the oil filter access hole in the cover plate underneath but have yet to determine where the oil drain plug is. If anyone has a picture they can share I would sure appreciate seeing it. I always change my own oil !

Comment

Easily accessible from underneath. At we learned from Josh Holder at the NCM 25th, there is only one drain plug for the LT2. It and the oil filter are easily accessible from underneath. Couple of pictures to help from CorvetteBlogger and TorqueNews respectively.

Click image for larger version  Name:	06280785-E6B2-420E-AB38-F88719A1ACDC.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	51.7 KB ID:	92854Click image for larger version  Name:	0C84C6BE-B053-4F93-B98E-19C8FDF50348.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	19.0 KB ID:	92855

GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5ZZ high wing; 5VM vis CF ground effects pkg; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards. Separately getting from my dealer RCC Edge Red engine cover and 5JR vis CF mirror caps.

Lifetime, annual contributors, and 20+ year members of National Corvette Museum.

Comment

This bring to mind the eternal question Why ? Every time I read a post by someone wanting to put aftermarket headers on this marvel of engineering I just shake my head in wonder and roll my eyes. Give me an LT2 with exposed surgical stainless factory headers and I'll show the world a classic piece of art.
                            2017 Arctic White Z06 2LZ Convertible. Corvette Museum Life Member . Red White and Booze ........ TX, It's A Whole 'Nother Country !

Comment

Originally posted by MikeyTX View Post
                              Every time I read a post by someone wanting to put aftermarket headers on this marvel of engineering I just shake my head in wonder and roll my eyes. Give me an LT2 with exposed surgical stainless factory headers and I'll show the world a classic piece of art.
                              I agree, the headers are very sexy, but I was disappointing to find that they are enclosed in heat shielding (for both the Stingray and Z51) to help keep down radiant heat.
                              Upcoming Vette:
                              '20 Elkhart Lake Blue 2LT Coupe, Natural Interior, GT2 Two-Tone Seats, Performance Exhaust, Front Lift, Carbon Flash Wheels, Engine Appearance Package

Current Vettes:
                              '68 Lemans Blue 327/350 Convertible
                              '91 Turquoise Convertible with Hardtop
                              '14 Lime Rock Green 2LT Convertible, Black Top, Kalahari, 7-Speed, Performance Exhaust

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X