See less

C8 has fake engine noise according to Matt Farah

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The C8 system sounds like the same system in the C7.

Every 2014 Chevrolet Corvette C7 is fitted with active noise cancellation that utilizes the car's audio system to diminish unwanted road and tire noise. A 14-liter bass enclosure built into the car's rear bulkhead enhances the booms you want and cancels the ones you don't.
    https://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/...ut-the-c7.html

I like my C7 audio system, so I'm glad the C8 is the same.
    Upcoming Vette:
    '20 Elkhart Lake Blue 2LT Coupe, Natural Interior, GT2 Two-Tone Seats, Performance Exhaust, Front Lift, Carbon Flash Wheels, Engine Appearance Package

Current Vettes:
    '68 Lemans Blue 327/350 Convertible
    '91 Turquoise Convertible with Hardtop
    '14 Lime Rock Green 2LT Convertible, Black Top, Kalahari, 7-Speed, Performance Exhaust

Comment

To me fake would be have some kind of noise generated that is not from the engine. I think they are trying to cancel out some less desirable and give you the good noise.

Comment

Originally posted by Teamzr1 View Post
        Most likely a white noise generator ? which cancels out certain frequencies and is commonly used to secure voices/sounds in meeting rooms, etc
        to prevent hearing in another room(s)
        I'm sure it wouldn't be that broad a spectrum, more likely to closely tailored.

White noise is basically to raise the noise floor in an environment, to mask speaking voices by drowning them in wide spectrum low level sound. And it would be applied in the spaces outside the meeting room so people in that space can't distinguish voices as clearly. Put it inside the meeting room and all that will happen is participants will speak louder. Not quite what you want.

(source: worked in office design for many years)

Comment

Active noise cancellation works by using a microphone (or multiple microphones) to detect undesirable frequencies, and then the audio system generates a signal of the same frequency but 180 degrees out of phase with the original sound. The two soundwaves cancel each other out, leaving (if everything is perfect) silence at that frequency. Of course, it's never perfect, because the speakers aren't located in the exact same spot as the source of the noise, sounds reflect off multiple surfaces, and other reasons, but a good system can definitely reduce the level of targeted sounds.
          SunKissed, my 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible (One of about 40)

Purchased 5/2/2015,
          >35,000+ miles

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out http://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

I hope you guys are right. Matt had since commented on a Reddit thread

TheSmokingTire
            There are many like it, but this flair is mine.

1h
            The sound was coming from the FRONT speakers. Jason Cammisa, who is the most sensitive car person I've ever met, caught it. Even the GM reps on hand didn't know the car had it, and when Jason pressed them, they went back to home base and confirmed that yes, the car plays exhaust notes from the speakers.

Comment

I think I remember someone mentioning this in the coupe reveal. Gotta go back and watch it again.
              C8 Coupe, Zeus Bronze, 3LT, TU7, HUE, GUI, CF7, EFY, EYK, J6N, NPP, E60, STI, VQK

Comment

GM is not creating new, artificial noise. They have however, added in sound tubes so that the real sound made by exhaust is heard better.
                GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5ZZ high wing; 5VM vis CF ground effects pkg; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards. Separately getting from my dealer RCC Edge Red engine cover and 5JR vis CF mirror caps.

Lifetime, annual contributors, and 20+ year members of National Corvette Museum.

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post
                  GM is not creating new, artificial noise. They have however, added in sound tubes so that the real sound made by exhaust is heard better.
                  Very common, rear engine cars are quite in the cabin since the exhaust, engine are hanging in the back.

Comment

Any idea if those sound tubes can be disconnected or blocked?

Comment

Any idea if those sound tubes can be disconnected or blocked?
                      It would be interesting if you could control them in concert with the NPP exhaust.
                      C8 Coupe, Zeus Bronze, 3LT, TU7, HUE, GUI, CF7, EFY, EYK, J6N, NPP, E60, STI, VQK

Comment

If this turns out to be true then it is a sad day for the C8. Hope the Z06 models do not have this OR have a way to turn it off. Do not know of anything more lame to put on a supposed super car than artificial engine sound through the audio system. That being said am a little skeptical and will wait for some hard audio testing data from a production model or a official GM press release. For me this is a total turn off kind of like a fake Rolex lol (no offense to anyone). On my current highly modified vehicle, C7 Z06 have a hard time hearing the radio.

Comment

Let me again confirm that no added noise is being added. It is simply that the sound created by the exhaust was so well muffled by the motor between it and its exhaust system, that they though we would want to better hear our exhaust music. So they added open tubes from back near the exhaust into the cabin. Count me in for nice, loud exhaust system, and let’s all remember that we can, if we have NPP, adjust is about five to seven different loudness levels — including stealth for your 600 mile road trip days.
                          GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5ZZ high wing; 5VM vis CF ground effects pkg; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards. Separately getting from my dealer RCC Edge Red engine cover and 5JR vis CF mirror caps.

Lifetime, annual contributors, and 20+ year members of National Corvette Museum.

Comment

This guy spewing fake news?

Click image for larger version

Name:	2D11D290-2FFF-4B81-8537-8790EE509ED1.jpeg
Views:	211
Size:	216.3 KB
ID:	78941
                            Black over Sky Cool Gray.....2LT.....Z51.....FE4.....E60.....

Comment

Let me again confirm that no added noise is being added. It is simply that the sound created by the exhaust was so well muffled by the motor between it and its exhaust system, that they though we would want to better hear our exhaust music. So they added open tubes from back near the exhaust into the cabin. Count me in for nice, loud exhaust system, and let’s all remember that we can, if we have NPP, adjust is about five to seven different loudness levels — including stealth for your 600 mile road trip days.
                              Interesting John, I would presume that it is a bit more complex than simple open tubes near the exhaust into the cabin. A system of open tubes would seem to promote sucking carbon monoxide into the cabin under certain conditions.
                              Enthusiastic owner of 'RedHot' Prod.Wk 7 Oct '13 Museum Del. 29 Oct '13
                              Contributing Member of the National Corvette Museum
                              Web site: https://www.daumphotography.com/
                              blog: https://insight.daumphotography.com/

Comment

first mod i did on my 16 SS sedan , was to remove the kazoo hose from the firewall , whats funny is it made a droning kinda noise , and i drove it with the hole wide open , and the drone noise was gone , and it was just as quiet with the hole open or closed , i still need to change the baillie tip

im not a fan of fake/creating noises , just becasue the interior is to quiet

picture for those that do not know what the baillie tip is

https://d3lp4xedbqa8a5.cloudfront.net/s3/digital-cougar-assets/motor-media/2696754/holden-commodore-exhaust-piping-engine-noise-into-car.jpgClick image for larger version

Name:	holden-commodore-exhaust-piping-engine-noise-into-car.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	78981

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X